Bowls Discussion - Who to Fade - Who to Back - ETC

pitt OC went to Nebraska but i cant imagine that a big deal, pickett been in that system 6 freaking years, he should be more than capable of calling the game! !

Yes...been there twice this month. Sort of bush league (no free drinks, no app betting, no horses) but better than what I had in Texas! Just moved to Greenville, SC.
Yes. I go to River Valley. It's a closer for me here in GA.

pitt OC went to Nebraska but i cant imagine that a big deal, pickett been in that system 6 freaking years, he should be more than capable of calling the game! !
The game is a pick em now. I'm sure this means Pickett isn't playing.

The game is a pick em now. I'm sure this means Pickett isn't playing.

oh wow, that sucks, i would have never guessed that, kid came back for a 6th year and won the acc, i damn sure would have thought he was gonna play, that blows when even a new years 6 isnt good enough to stay and play!! that was my favorite bet of the bowl season, what a kick in the nuts.. guess he just came back to raise his draft stock which he obviously did a great job of that, but man i be licking my chops to get to go out on pretty big stage against sparty crappy ass pass d. that really disappointing, guess i gotta take pitt out of the most confident pick in our pool! lol

oh wow, that sucks, i would have never guessed that, kid came back for a 6th year and won the acc, i damn sure would have thought he was gonna play, that blows when even a new years 6 isnt good enough to stay and play!! that was my favorite bet of the bowl season, what a kick in the nuts.. guess he just came back to raise his draft stock which he obviously did a great job of that, but man i be licking my chops to get to go out on pretty big stage against sparty crappy ass pass d. that really disappointing, guess i gotta take pitt out of the most confident pick in our pool! lol
I'm guessing his OC leaving would be the reason?

I'm guessing his OC leaving would be the reason?

that dont make a lot of sense to me, as i said at this point he should have no problem calling the plays! they could promote any the ppl who were under him, qb coach, rb coach, wr coach, whatever, and i wouldnt think they would miss a beat. I gotta think his decision was done made that it time to get ready for the draft, didnt think he do that but damn sure cant imagine it cause the OC left.

The team must've been dealing with the "culture" and whatever is going on with Todd Graham for most of the season, if not all season.

I'd be careful not to overreact. They just beat Wyoming 38-14 in their last game. If they hated Graham and he made football so bad, why not just lay down, like Hawaii wants to travel to Wyoming the Saturday after Thanksgiving for a game? Arguably their most impressive performance of the entire season. And they won their last home game too (led pretty good and CSU came back 2nd H).

I have been a Cordeiro fan since day 1, just something about him I liked and rooted for. But he isn't all good all the time. Doesn't really throw a great catchable ball, lots of bullet passes not great touch and has trouble with INTs sometimes.

Schager started 3, not like they won because of him, but he was the starter for 2 wins.

I tend to believe most of what I've read that is going on, and players are transferring and not happy, but again, they won their last two game. I don't think they come out in the home stadium with poor effort. Sometimes you play for yourself and your pride even if you hate the coach.

Just saying, that line gets out of hand, I would have no problem taking Hawaii who has pulled upsets the last 3 times they were dogged in a bowl.

Zero audience, hard for me to believe either defense cares.

Just saying...over in some shape is where I look, there can't be any enthusiasm from either defenses and two very capable offenses

Hawaii has had decent fans at their last home game for sure, and I think they started having some before that.

Did they say they were not allowing fans to attend, or is it a state of Hawaii travel restriction thing? They were strict before, I didn't know anyone was doing that stuff again.

I mean, I think the individuals on the field who play defense for Memphis and Hawaii care how they play atleast individually, or you think that the LBs will just walk out and say fuck it or something these offenses are too good for us to try against?

hawaii's qb play the last five years (at least) makes you think that shaving/throwing games must be going on. A guy can look like gold one day and then can't throw a spiral the next.

The team must've been dealing with the "culture" and whatever is going on with Todd Graham for most of the season, if not all season.

I'd be careful not to overreact. They just beat Wyoming 38-14 in their last game. If they hated Graham and he made football so bad, why not just lay down, like Hawaii wants to travel to Wyoming the Saturday after Thanksgiving for a game? Arguably their most impressive performance of the entire season. And they won their last home game too (led pretty good and CSU came back 2nd H).

I have been a Cordeiro fan since day 1, just something about him I liked and rooted for. But he isn't all good all the time. Doesn't really throw a great catchable ball, lots of bullet passes not great touch and has trouble with INTs sometimes.

Schager started 3, not like they won because of him, but he was the starter for 2 wins.

I tend to believe most of what I've read that is going on, and players are transferring and not happy, but again, they won their last two game. I don't think they come out in the home stadium with poor effort. Sometimes you play for yourself and your pride even if you hate the coach.

Just saying, that line gets out of hand, I would have no problem taking Hawaii who has pulled upsets the last 3 times they were dogged in a bowl.

Fair, Wyoming was so fucking bad throwing the ball it didht mean much to me but point taken if things were that bad that a easy game for them to have laid down. Winning the last 2 to become bowl eligible certainly doesn’t line up with the narrative. I think Memphis is just better but I’m not super pumped to lay a td with them.

Fair, Wyoming was so fucking bad throwing the ball it didht mean much to me but point taken if things were that bad that a easy game for them to have laid down. Winning the last 2 to become bowl eligible certainly doesn’t line up with the narrative. I think Memphis is just better but I’m not super pumped to lay a td with them.
It's an over game but still have to deal with Memphis staying in the locker room (or on the beach in this case) at halftime

Maybe. Memphis 3rd down defense might be worst in the country. They seem to play decent enough d on early Downs but they never get off the freaking field. I dunno if that good for a over tho, especially against this version of Hawaii who seems to prefer running if they can.

Memphis is better.

Wyoming had just run for 362 on Utah State the week before, ran for 385 on CSU a couple weeks prior. WYO shouldn't have had any trouble moving the ball. Hawaii has had a couple better than expected defensive games (like vs San Diego State, but that also fits the narrative that San Diego State isn't even a good run O most of the time).

Just one of the many many examples that in this sport teams are so hot and cold up and down week-to-week, it is difficult to anticipate what will happen.

Memphis is better.

Wyoming had just run for 362 on Utah State the week before, ran for 385 on CSU a couple weeks prior. WYO shouldn't have had any trouble moving the ball. Hawaii has had a couple better than expected defensive games (like vs San Diego State, but that also fits the narrative that San Diego State isn't even a good run O most of the time).

Just one of the many many examples that in this sport teams are so hot and cold up and down week-to-week, it is difficult to anticipate what will happen.

I have to go back and look but I think for the most part the underlying theme in Hawaii better efforts it was against teams with terrible passing attacks, but they did beat fresno somehow, lol.

I have to go back and look but I think for the most part the underlying theme in Hawaii better efforts it was against teams with terrible passing attacks, but they did beat fresno somehow, lol.

Haener threw 4 INTs

The UNLV game was their let down spot. And let down they did. Needed 2nd H comeback to win

I know you aren't using transitive rational, especially when it comes to bowl games

I can throw in Hawaii > UCLA on a given day too

No, I didn't mean it as a greater sign. I meant it as in which game was followed by the one prior. Like an arrow. Sorry for confusion. For live music when a band goes from one song into the next we use the > symbol

Is Cordeiro playing? Dae dae hunter and Calvin Turner? I read some stuff about people being upset, but not sure on transferring or sitting out....

Is Cordeiro playing? Dae dae hunter and Calvin Turner? I read some stuff about people being upset, but not sure on transferring or sitting out....

There is the list with a couple specific links about Hawaii in the "complete list" thread.

As far as I know, Cordeiro and Hunter are gone. Calvin Turner I assume is with the team and could see spot duty at QB. I've seen nothing about him leaving. There is an active message board if you want to follow Hawaii football news.

I don't know how much it actually matters, but isn't there some trend where favorites perform better early in bowl season and dogs kick in the second week of bowls?

Is Coastal Carolina really that much better? NIU has been one of the best under dog winners this year, 5 upset wins. Coastal failed to cover down the stretch vs the likes of South Alabama (won by 6 in OT laying 15), Texas State (won by 14 laying 24.5), Georgia State (lost by 2 laying 13), Troy (won by 7 laying 17). Did beat Ga So 28-8 for their only cover in their last 6 games.

Seems like Oddsmakers just keep throwing up big numbers and Coastal keeps underachieving them.

I think they are better than their results, but one team doesn't play to that potential (Coastal) and one team typically exceeds their potential (NIU).

What are the thoughts on this one?

The Gator Bowel took Wake over Clemson? That is INSANE.

Clemson has to be disappointed and insulted as shit to be stuck with a 7-5 Iowa State team. I don't how that will affect Clemson's performance, but it is shocking.
Clemson probably glad they are not going to be there ;)

Is Coastal Carolina really that much better? NIU has been one of the best under dog winners this year, 5 upset wins. Coastal failed to cover down the stretch vs the likes of South Alabama (won by 6 in OT laying 15), Texas State (won by 14 laying 24.5), Georgia State (lost by 2 laying 13), Troy (won by 7 laying 17). Did beat Ga So 28-8 for their only cover in their last 6 games.

Seems like Oddsmakers just keep throwing up big numbers and Coastal keeps underachieving them.

I think they are better than their results, but one team doesn't play to that potential (Coastal) and one team typically exceeds their potential (NIU).

Perception of the 2 early mac games is liberty and coastal are a different class - but I think eastern and northern are very gritty teams , and of the 2 matchups I think coastal may be the one who is closer to the mac teams.

1 common opponent buffalo and northern beat them more thoroughly. ...Coastal got hammered by app state in the box score, played kansas even in the box.

Actually think we have 2 very similar clubs who want to run a ton and both defenses are weak. Coastal d very overrated, specifically the run defense. I've seen teams run on them pretty consistently. Think it sets up well for an over , minus the slow pace I don't think anyone can get a stop.

It's scary betting on Northern cause their defense is so so bad. Even in the win against Kent in the MAC championship game Kent had wide receivers streaking wide open for touchdowns that Crum couldn't hit a bronside of a barn. Coastal should be able to get a pass game going too. And the run defense when it's not dialed in looks absolutely atrocious.

End of day Northern Illinois shows up in big games. Showed up vs georgia tech who has a great run offense, made huge strides against Kent in the championship game. I'd take Northern and the points.

Feel kind of same about Eastern and the points except Liberty isn't as good a matchup and think they have a higher ceiling to maybe run away with the game.

Planning on taking NIU

What's the injury situation with BYU ? Have heard that they have had massive injuries to their defense but I don't know any specifics.

To me they aren't playing typical BYU defense this year. Think UAB is a decent dog here.

Have some interest in eastern michigan - just don't have any reasons. These guys do it with smoke and mirrors. But they are good dogs.

What's the injury situation with BYU ? Have heard that they have had massive injuries to their defense but I don't know any specifics.

To me they aren't playing typical BYU defense this year. Think UAB is a decent dog here.

Not that I see any discussion in the BYU related news and forum links I have. Was this into or out of the USC game or is it something that has happened leading up to the bowl? This is from their bowl game notes, not sure if this helps cross reference any names?

BYU D starts.png

BYU depth 1.pngBYU depth 2.png

Quite the QB mismatch between Chase Brice and Bailey Zappe. Maybe Chase Brice would be better to transfer again, this time to FCS.

found an article in shreveporttimes on BYU - not sure how many of these guys will be back for the bowl.

---from the depth chart looks several of those game 1 starters aren't there anymore - would explain the virginia game, thought that was very uncharacteristic for BYU

Anyone seeking a walking, talking MASH unit in college football this fall should look no further than BYU.

The Cougars (10-2) have been nothing short of miraculous heading into the Saturday, Dec. 18, 45th Radiance Technologies Independence Bowl against UAB (8-4), despite battling more critical missing parts than your average team.

When BYU played and defeated Southern Cal three weeks ago, compared to the start of the season, it was without a pair of starting offensive linemen, two starting wide receivers, two starting linebackers, one starting defensive lineman, one starting cornerback, one starting safety and one starting nickel. During the USC contest, the Cougars lost a starting tight end.

If McBride is out that might be big as UAB isn't typically a team loaded with play makers. Their #3 RB I think it was, Stanley, transferred as well. Their #3 receiver transferred who some think in a different system could be a go-to guy. On the UAB board somebody referenced a weekly UAB radio show that mentioned McBride could play. I couldn't find anything definitive. Was carted off field last game but I think was walking around after.

Offense:

RT Harris LaChance lost to injury after game 4. His replacement, Campbell Barrington, lost to injury after game 10. Freshman Brayden Keim started the final two at RT. Keim is a former walk-on TE. Bowl 2-deep has Barrington "-or" Keim listed at RT. It was said that Barrington was injured in practice and could've been back for USC and LaChance was also close to returning at season's end although I don't think either did.

C James Empey was on and off field first half of season, was on crutches game 8. Team captain. Conner Pay has started the last 4, 5 total this year at C. Empey was said to be doubtful to play in the finale and is not listed on the bowl 2-deep.

WR Neil Pau'u was injured game 10 (#1 receiver in catches). Was said to be doubtful for finale. Samson Nacua and Keanu Hill have filled in. Pau'u is not listed on the bowl 2-deep.

WR Gunner Romney had missed 3 games, including the finale. He is listed a top one of the WR spots on the bowl 2-deep.

TE Issax Rex lost to injury for the year in game 12. Team high 12 TDs in 2020, not as big of a year 2021.

Defense:

CB Keenan Ellis - lost game 1 with head/neck injury, bad concussion, has not returned although at early in the season the injury was not believed to be season ending he was still suffering symptoms into October.

DL Every player but one who was listed as a starter for their 3 man DL at one point this year, 7 players are all listed on the 2-deep at various positions: Batty, Haws, Mahe, Summers, Tuoti-Mariner, Tanuvasa. Atleast 3 of those players missed time and went out of games due to injury this year. A very banged up unit across the board all season. Appears only Lorenzo Fauatea who was lost early to injury remains out for the year. And reserve Jacob Palu has dealt with a long term injury.

LB Keenan Pili - lost for season to injury game 3. Team captain, was leading tackler at time, was D player bowl MVP 2020 and had 12 career starts ("Pili was seen as a backbone of the defense"). Ben Bywater has since emerged at LB to lead the team in tackles.

LB Payton Wilgar - lost for season game 10, underwent season ending surgery (had been playing through pain). A team captain, 37 career games, 31 starts. Big time player.

It looks to me, that some of the mentioned players out a S or NB were shifted to a LB or hybrid-LB/S type position due to injuries at LB. BYU appears to play a lot of combos on the S and LB spots from week-to-week. If I guy didn't play defensive backfield S it might be because they choose that guy to play closer to the LOS this week at LB, or vise-versa.

The two LBs out Pili and Wilgar are enormous losses. They've had do deal with Pili almost all year, doesn't make it better and they still miss him badly. Wilgar is a newer loss they are having to deal with. From what I see and think I've read, those are really the only big concern as far as a position group. And then there is a trickle down effect of moving guys like Chaz Ah You or Hanneman from S to play LB and all the shifting that takes place. However one looks at it, Pili and Wilgar were just maybe the two best players on D period.

The DL I would think should be the healthiest they have been all year (minus Fauatea who hasn't played since game 5). Otherwise, I think all the names that should be in the 2-deep for the bowl are the ones that should be there if the 2-deep is accurate.

OL should be closer to full strength, but still minus the C Empey I assume.

The WRs Pau'u still looks out ,but Romney looks back.

That is about the best way I can break it down putting some pieces together. Those are some of the names atleast we can associate with the who and what.

Last edited:
Perception of the 2 early mac games is liberty and coastal are a different class - but I think eastern and northern are very gritty teams , and of the 2 matchups I think coastal may be the one who is closer to the mac teams.

1 common opponent buffalo and northern beat them more thoroughly. ...Coastal got hammered by app state in the box score, played kansas even in the box.

Actually think we have 2 very similar clubs who want to run a ton and both defenses are weak. Coastal d very overrated, specifically the run defense. I've seen teams run on them pretty consistently. Think it sets up well for an over , minus the slow pace I don't think anyone can get a stop.

It's scary betting on Northern cause their defense is so so bad. Even in the win against Kent in the MAC championship game Kent had wide receivers streaking wide open for touchdowns that Crum couldn't hit a bronside of a barn. Coastal should be able to get a pass game going too. And the run defense when it's not dialed in looks absolutely atrocious.

End of day Northern Illinois shows up in big games. Showed up vs georgia tech who has a great run offense, made huge strides against Kent in the championship game. I'd take Northern and the points.

Feel kind of same about Eastern and the points except Liberty isn't as good a matchup and think they have a higher ceiling to maybe run away with the game.

if you made me take one of them it would absolutely be Niu, kinda expect libirty to put together a really good game and light emu up. libirty biggest problem been they terrible at protecting willis, 127th in the country in sack rate allowed and that with him often escaping pressure! dont really think emu has the horses to get after the passer tho, seems like a real good game for Willis to shine and get bad taste out his mouth of a disappointing season.. Scary to back niu cause as mentioned that defense is redic bad but maybe they can control the tempo and keep ball away from a coastal team i doubt super pumped bout this bowl. i really dont like either but i trust nui to at least give me a shot to stay within the number.

Back