Bowls Discussion - Who to Fade - Who to Back - ETC

UTSA was one I was hoping for a good matchup for, instead got the least desirable outcome.

UTSA was one I was hoping for a good matchup for, instead got the least desirable outcome.

pretty interesting matchup, ill have to dig a lot more on that one. Im still pissed off at wku for playing such a awful fucking game, i dunno if im off my rocker or not but still believe wku beats them without all the stupid careless mistakes they made in that game, somehow still had the ball and a chance to tie it at the end, if they had one more qrtr i think they roast utsa! I know im not crazy bout this, i wouldnt have to dig any deeper if wku was playing sdst, pretty confident they would smash the aztecs.

I know what I said about Holgerson and bowls, but that is a strong favorite role for Minny vs WVU...7 at some spots?

I got my wires crossed after looking up Holgerson's WVU bowl record and applied it to this WV-MN game.

WVU does feel down this year compared to last even though records are similar (5-4 entering last year's bowl vs this year 6-6). JHalf of their 4 losses last year were 1 score games as are half this year (TT by 3, OU by 3, Mary by 6).

Beat Army last year in a tough comeback. WV D pretty much dominated, but turnovers helped Army score points.

Fleck is 2-0 in bowls at Min, both as dogs. Was 1-2 at WMich. Min is 4-2 vs bowl teams this year, so guess they deserve the favorite role more than I initially thought, close loss to Iowa in there. WV just 2-6 SU vs bowl teams.

Thought the line was high last night at 6.5/7. See it is full 2 points lower today.

UTEP will probably be closer to 7 by game time.

I've never watched bowl lines roll out in real time like I did yesterday. 2-3 point movements in several games, more in others. I need to get with the 21st century and get an online account for next year.

I’ll let everyone bet utes then take osu if it gets cheaper maybe. Obvious concern is I know utes be thrilled to be there will osu care? It is the rose bowl after all! I don’t think utes have a chance if osu motivated, maybe I’m way off but I don’t think utes all that great, getting hot and beating bunch of crap pac12 teams doesn’t impress me much.
Utah keeps improving and they beat some good teams and some turds. That being said, the secondary is banged up and osu has a good passing game. I worry about the secondary in this one.

I also think the Utah offense will get their's however.

Utah keeps improving and they beat some good teams and some turds. That being said, the secondary is banged up and osu has a good passing game. I worry about the secondary in this one.

I also think the Utah offense will get their's however.
Over?

Utah D did well vs the bad CU and Stanford Os of the PAC12, not so much Arizona, but Zona an always try hard team. There was that October run with all those overs (USC, AzSt, OreSt, UCLA) - avg score was 38.75 - 28.25

Ohio State has been held below 30 (28 Ore, 26 Neb, 27 Mich), but in the bowl I think OSU will score in the low 30s worst case and upper 30s/low 40s best case. Olave, Wilson, TE Ruckert could sit (Ruckert might opt to play to try and have a good game to move stock up). I'd bet all 3 won't sit and I might bet atleast one of the WRs plays. Even if not, pretty deep WR group...Olave or Wilson hasn't been the #1 down the stretch (Smith-Njigba). The other guys just don't have the reps, but they have the talent for next year. If OSU gets 2 of their 3 tops WRs playing they shouldn't miss too much.

Question for me really is what will Utah's scoring range going be? How good is the OSU D going to be vs the run?

Gurv says he's playing

Now, talk that KW9 opts out.

Pitt tt and game over look amazing. I wanted this type of matchup for Sparty.
Also want to more K9 said after PSU game he'd play. Obviously agents start getting into ears this month. Shall see.

Utah D did well vs the bad CU and Stanford Os of the PAC12, not so much Arizona, but Zona an always try hard team. There was that October run with all those overs (USC, AzSt, OreSt, UCLA) - avg score was 38.75 - 28.25

Ohio State has been held below 30 (28 Ore, 26 Neb, 27 Mich), but in the bowl I think OSU will score in the low 30s worst case and upper 30s/low 40s best case. Olave, Wilson, TE Ruckert could sit (Ruckert might opt to play to try and have a good game to move stock up). I'd bet all 3 won't sit and I might bet atleast one of the WRs plays. Even if not, pretty deep WR group...Olave or Wilson hasn't been the #1 down the stretch (Smith-Njigba). The other guys just don't have the reps, but they have the talent for next year. If OSU gets 2 of their 3 tops WRs playing they shouldn't miss too much.

Question for me really is what will Utah's scoring range going be? How good is the OSU D going to be vs the run?
Penn St also held their offense under 30

Agreed.

Clemson wins here.
Venables is gone. One starter on D (Simpson) is leaving based on the Venables news. (No word on whether he will follow to OU.) The AD is leaving for his alma mater (Miami). The OC is trying to get while the getting’s good, if anyone is still willing to offer a head coaching job. First de-commit from a defensive player (Sabb), who will probably head to Michigan.

Venables is gone. One starter on D (Simpson) is leaving based on the Venables news. (No word on whether he will follow to OU.) The AD is leaving for his alma mater (Miami). The OC is trying to get while the getting’s good, if anyone is still willing to offer a head coaching job. First de-commit from a defensive player (Sabb), who will probably head to Michigan.
Yeah Sabb was a silent here 9 days ago.

Clemson upped the offer and it was 50/50 at best but looks like this seals the flip with BV gone.

Yeah Sabb was a silent here 9 days ago.

Clemson upped the offer and it was 50/50 at best but looks like this seals the flip with BV gone.
Clemson knew and approved of the trip. Don’t know about the offers, but it looks like he’s yours.

I just don't think the Utah D is really that good even seeing them play Oregon twice. They definitely play hard and will 100% be all in for the Rose Bowl and we know what Whittingham's record is. When line came out at 9 I knew it would be all Utah taking anything over a TD. It's still not low enough for me to actually bet OSU, and probably won't be, I'd need it to be like 3 which it won't go there.

What’s the forecast like and the vibe for Dabo

At first glance gimme Army, Nevada, Wazzu and FLA

I forgot who Nevada playing but didn’t love their vibe down the stretch, will strong play? I liked Nevada a lot more coming into the year than I do now but since I can’t remember who they playing I have nothing insightful to say. Lol.

Army might run for 400 on mizzou, although their run d did improve some toward end of the year.

I forgot who Nevada playing but didn’t love their vibe down the stretch, will strong play? I liked Nevada a lot more coming into the year than I do now but since I can’t remember who they playing I have nothing insightful to say. Lol.

Army might run for 400 on mizzou, although their run d did improve some toward end of the year.
The coach bailed for CSU yesterday, if that's something you factor in to bowl games.

The schedule is in post #1 of this thread

Just a few points about ODU/Tulsa

I get the vibe that ODU cares a lot more about this game than Tulsa. Rode a 5 game win streak to get to the bowl. Its a drivable game for fans ~6 hours. Read through some ODU boards and they don't think Tulsa really cares, at least not the fan base. One note that supports me leaning towards the under is ODU fired the OC the day after the last game.

Matchup wise, Tulsa played the big boys tough and kept it to close games vs. some very crappy teams. I think the defenses are about equal..ish and Tulsa has the better offense with a better/similar run game and better passing offense.

I don't know that they should be laying as many points as they are though. Gonna try to go back and watch some Tulsa games.

Tulsa is about as inconsistent as they come. Annually.

You definitely would know more than me Dollaz, but my impression is that this bowl will be meaningful for ODU (heard Rahne on radio today).

Bowl games are rare for Tulsa though. Not sure how many fans they actually have other than player families, really small school. I would assume to the Tulsa players, facing little old who they Old Dominion is not very exciting. ODU would be happy to take on anybody anywhere.

Concern about Wyoming playing at Boise, a location they played at just last month. Not much of a "reward". However, MWC teams deal with this often. Nevada just beat Tulane there last year with some of the same motivational questions for them in that bowl. In 2017 Wyoming lost at Boise in the regular season, returned for the bowl and beat Central Michigan 37-14 laying 3. So I am not going to worry about the geographic angle for Wyoming. Kent might enjoy a trip to the fabled "blue", still I do worry about their motives after the MAC Title failure.
I love Wyoming matchup wise in this game. Think northern illinois vs wyoming earlier in year where wyoming dominated. Big physical on both lines, I think they are going to run all over Kent and on defense they will play the run well and won't give kent any deep shots - crum misses most of the time when they are wide open anyway like vs northern - but Wyoming is gonna play a zone, take away the kent explosives, beat up kent in the trenches, imo.

I don't think so. I think both defenses are better than the offenses.
University of Tulsa defensive coordinator Joseph Gillespie is leaving for the same position at TCU, a source familiar with the situation confirmed to the Tulsa World on Tuesday.

Gillespie, whose departure was first reported by On3Sports, is taking cornerbacks coach Carlton Buckels with him, according to the Fort Worth Star-Telegram. That makes three vacancies on the Hurricane staff, with offensive line coach Zach Hanson joining Lincoln Riley at USC.

Just a few points about ODU/Tulsa

I get the vibe that ODU cares a lot more about this game than Tulsa. Rode a 5 game win streak to get to the bowl. Its a drivable game for fans ~6 hours. Read through some ODU boards and they don't think Tulsa really cares, at least not the fan base. One note that supports me leaning towards the under is ODU fired the OC the day after the last game.

Matchup wise, Tulsa played the big boys tough and kept it to close games vs. some very crappy teams. I think the defenses are about equal..ish and Tulsa has the better offense with a better/similar run game and better passing offense.

I don't know that they should be laying as many points as they are though. Gonna try to go back and watch some Tulsa games.

Tulsa seems to really play to the opponent's level.

Reactions: KJ
ISU/Clemson-won't get much more than this out of me. I begged for this matchup. I think Clemson scoring over 10 would be an upset outside of turnover scores. Also know it will take creativity for ISU to score. It's an under game. Best recruiting class, Sr class in ISU history is gonna do it one more time, the motivation is insane. I know less people staying in IA than going to Orlando for this.

This should be a real football game

ISU/Clemson-won't get much more than this out of me. I begged for this matchup. I think Clemson scoring over 10 would be an upset outside of turnover scores. Also know it will take creativity for ISU to score. It's an under game. Best recruiting class, Sr class in ISU history is gonna do it one more time, the motivation is insane. I know less people staying in IA than going to Orlando for this.

This should be a real football game
Like it

Reactions: KJ
have ya"ll heard all the noise coming out of Hawaii? obviously ya know the QB hit the transfer portal but today i heard there a lot of kids talking and it aint good (never is when players are talking!). Things like the coach plays favorites, he has zapped the joy out of football, it went on and on with negative crap, sounds like a bad situation which i would think makes for a good fade!!

have ya"ll heard all the noise coming out of Hawaii? obviously ya know the QB hit the transfer portal but today i heard there a lot of kids talking and it aint good (never is when players are talking!). Things like the coach plays favorites, he has zapped the joy out of football, it went on and on with negative crap, sounds like a bad situation which i would think makes for a good fade!!

Saw that too. Line has shot up the last couple of days.

Saw that too. Line has shot up the last couple of days.

figured i wasnt early enough to the party, lol.. i was actually surprised when i saw them in a bowl, didnt realize they made it to 6 wins, of course it took them 13 games! lol. 6 wins shouldnt be the standard if you play more than 12 games imo..

i think it actually about the best matchup you could ask for from a defensive standpoint for memphis, from what ive seen of Hawaii this year they much better when the run game working and memphis run d is better than their pass d (not saying a ton), Hawaii hasnt been very good on 3rd down either which memphis is awful getting off the field, i didnt realize just how bad till i watched them vs ecu and ecu converted one 3rd and long after another the entire game!!! guess the fact it the "Hawaiii bowl" isnt great either but Memphis-7 seems like the play if ya believe all the noise which i dunno why ya wouldnt?

Back