2022 United State Open Discussion

B.A.R.

CTG Partner
Staff member
Well, lost in all the talk of the Saudi league we have ourselves another major coming up next week at Brookline!

We are getting some new blood into the US Open rotation here. The Country Club is one of the oldest in all of America and was one of 5 charter clubs of the USGA.

The last US Open here was in 1988 (Curtis Strange). I think most of us here remember the infamous 1999 Ryder Cup that was also held at Brookline. The USGA hosted the US Am here 9 years ago in the last major event at the club (it looks like). Matty Fitzpatrick was the winner of that event.

I am trying to read up on the course a bit for prep. The first notable thing is that the short par 3 11th will be used in the course routing for a US Open for the first time since 1913. Several other holes have been swapped around or out since the 1988 Open. I'll add more to this as I continue my research...

Looking at some current numbers...

Scottie Scheffler
+1200
Rory McIlroy
+1400
Jon Rahm
+1600
Justin Thomas
+1600
Cameron Smith
+1800
Xander Schauffele
+2200
Patrick Cantlay
+2200
Jordan Spieth
+2500
Collin Morikawa
+2500
Viktor Hovland
+2500
Will Zalatoris
+2800
Dustin Johnson
+3000
Brooks Koepka
+3000
Sam Burns
+3300
Hideki Matsuyama
+3500
Matthew Fitzpatrick
+3500
Joaquin Niemann
+3500
Cameron Young
+3500
Shane Lowry
+4000
Max Homa
+4500
Tony Finau
+5000
Daniel Berger
+5000
Tommy Fleetwood
+5500
Sungjae Im
+5500
Billy Horschel
+5500
Bryson DeChambeau
+6600
Tyrrell Hatton
+6600
Abraham Ancer
+6600
Adam Scott
+6600
Corey Conners
+6600
Louis Oosthuizen
+7000
Mito Pereira
+7000
Davis Riley
+7000

Thursday, little wind and rain not likely
Friday, 10mph winds and thunderstorms possible later in the day, possible rain all day
Sat/Sun are the same, 10+ mph winds oppo direction from Friday, rain likely every hour. Gusts could play a role.

Typically I make fun of all the "This rough is so bad you can't find your ball stuff...." only for a few of these studs to push the lead out to -10 or something over the weekend but this stuff looks like the real deal. This course is very short for US Open standards and they need to make up for it....it's pretty clear besides all the blind tee shots, small greens, endless bunkers, etc.... that the rough is how they are doing it.

To make it clear though it's the green side rough that seems to be the treacherous stuff so focus on the elite SG APP dudes IMO....obviously striping it off the tee this week also going to be huge but at least some of these big hitters will have some sort of a chance from 150 in out of most of the fairway rough I would think (obviously not the 2ft tall stuff.....)

To make it clear though it's the green side rough that seems to be the treacherous stuff so focus on the elite SG APP dudes IMO....obviously striping it off the tee this week also going to be huge but at least some of these big hitters will have some sort of a chance from 150 in out of most of the fairway rough I would think (obviously not the 2ft tall stuff.....)
Pretty sure one of the shorter hitters will be on the board come Sunday. Honestly think Rahm and his compact driver will play well here. Longer the backswing, longer the line to your NetJet.

Small, unfamiliar greens also favors the ball strikers

When JFK was off doing his thing Jackie O often used to The Country Club as her meeting spot with a priest she had a romantic tryst.

Oosty at 70-1 seems crazy on this course......seems like it perfect for him to just ballstrike the shit out of it
I agree just not sure how all the LIV stuff is gonna play on these guys mentally. Avoiding them all.

My initial fades would be Hovland and Morikawa. Billy Ho to win.
I saw something surprising this week about Horschel: he only has two career top 20 in majors. A T-4 at US Open in 2013 and a T-17 at Masters in 2016. He was on my radar too, but I don't think he's the grinder-type that may be needed for an Open.

Interesting I at least hear discussion about all of those guys toward the top most recently but never hear a thing about Lowry

I haven't confirmed with multiple sources the above but Rickie Fowler was out there practicing today and he's an alternate. At least possible the spieth deal is true and Rickie would be in the field....

I haven't confirmed with multiple sources the above but Rickie Fowler was out there practicing today and he's an alternate. At least possible the spieth deal is true and Rickie would be in the field....
Think I saw that Fowler was the first alternate as of this morning.

Interesting I at least hear discussion about all of those guys toward the top most recently but never hear a thing about Lowry
I've got a few bets on Lowry this weekend. He's been playing some really solid golf this season, and I think his game is suited for a US Open. He was the 54 hole leader at Oakmont when DJ won. If you can contend there, you can contend at any US Open venue

Anyone hear about this new golf association, live or liv? Just caught wind of it today, pretty interesting..

A couple of darts for the golf tournament this week.

Tournament winner- Furyk +100000
Day 1- Riley +115 v Billy Hoyle
Day 1- Deki -105 v HV3

1 unit each

GL this week boys

Anyone hear about this new golf association, live or liv? Just caught wind of it today, pretty interesting..

Day 1- Deki -105 v HV3

1 unit each

GL this week boys

Day 1- Deki -105 v HV3

1 unit each

GL this week boys
Looks good

Back