2016 NBA Playoffs: First Round Discussion

Can someone please post ats results for the next game for teams who lose by 25+ in the playoffs?

Since the 2002 season: 29-27 SU and 33-23 ATS with 25-31 O/U

Home: 16-13 SU and 15-14 ATS with 11-18 O/U
Away: 13-14 SU and 18-9 ATS with 14-13 O/U

Away after losing away: 11-11 SU and 16-6 ATS with 14-8 O/U

So, Hornets ATS looks pretty good, historically, in that spot.

I don't like going back too far, I'm from the school of thought that if you go back too far, you are querying games that were too different from today's environment. Yeah there is some slippage on leaving out the "P:season = season" -- just a rookie/amateur/laziness slippage...

The west coast is much worse collectively than the east. Taking dogs is a terrible idea in the first round. The strength of schedule overall isn't as good as the east IMO. The bottom 4 suck.

Spurs couldn't even cover half of -19 @home against the bunch of scrubs Nawlins rolled out, but will cover -17 prob by twice as much against a playoff team.

Gotta love the NBA.

The west coast is much worse collectively than the east. Taking dogs is a terrible idea in the first round. The strength of schedule overall isn't as good as the east IMO. The bottom 4 suck.

Yep. Said that earlier in this thread.

Bottom 4 out West are dog shit. Only team with a remote chance of an upset is Portland.

Per @johnschuhmann, the Clippers' starting lineup (CP3-JJ-LRMAM-Blake-DAJ) has the best net rating of any 5-man unit in the NBA (200+ mins)

The starters have a +19.4 net rating in 273 minutes, and a ridiculous (and unsustainable) +41.7 in 70 minutes since Blake returned

In the playoffs teams don't wanna let up even when they're up 20. They don't want to give the other team any more confidence or belief going into the next game. The way it should be.

Obviously I know it's all money driven but I wish the first round would format as a one game, home team win, move on. Visiting team win, then go back home and make it best of three.

I can't even get anyone to watch this stuff with me it's so rancid. Every other sport can get the playoffs done in a month other than hockey, NBA should too when there are always no more than three teams that can win it.

Obviously speaking from an entertainment standpoint and not gambling, but still

Injuries have derailed this postseason for the most part, that and bad coaching.

Plus it's only one game in, let's not write it off. Rox, Hornets etc will all respond.

God that hack-a-crap throws a big wrench into the totals betting..that should have been a no-sweat under...

Stotts was

A) trying to force the NBA to try make a rule change in the offseason

or

B) being a moronic coach wasting even more of the players time when they should get in the lockerroom

such a dumbass....

I now think every east series goes to at least 6 games tbh

I can see Charlotte entering a psychological space where they don't know what hit them, given they must've read the press giving them a decent shot. That Miami series opening line sure looks like a gift in hindsight.

No series in the West goes beyond 5 (unless the Clippers pull their fraud act a series early), as well as Miami & Cleveland in 5. Indy in 6/Toronto in 7 looks obvious at this point. I can see Boston forcing it to 7, because the Hawks are still the Tin Man they've always been.

Injuries have derailed this postseason for the most part, that and bad coaching.

Plus it's only one game in, let's not write it off. Rox, Hornets etc will all respond.

I'm not writing anyone off. And I'm also not saying they shouldn't be written off.

I get it that the postseason is supposed to be some grueling battle, survival of the fittest, etc, but this isn't entertaining and of all professional sports, the NBA should be decided in a months' time at worst. It's the only sport of the big 4 that gives virtually no chance to most of it's postseason competitors to win the ship.

It's drama and Hollywood to the tee and feeds off that, but many of these games don't need to happen. Lillard hitting some series clinching three in the first round at the buzzer, I don't even remember who it was against. And he was home a couple weeks later than he should have been.

It's obviously a pointless argument because you either love this stuff or you don't, and it's not changing. But this cash grab isn't entertaining. And LOL to any reference to CBB being a shit product (it is, and I've been saying it for years). So is this, and bad. This sport should just go to the Final Four and get it over with.

KJ I could say those exact same things for hockey...... Except hockey isn't money driven

Agree, but it's exciting, and an 8 seed (or whatever it is now) can actually win the whole thing. And the power of the goal in hockey is obviously so much bigger than in basketball.

Playoff double-digit underdogs off a loss as a double-digit underdog are 11-3 ATS in the 1st Round (5-0 ATS last 5 in this spot).

Applies to the Mavs and Rockets on Monday.

Agree, but it's exciting, and an 8 seed (or whatever it is now) can actually win the whole thing. And the power of the goal in hockey is obviously so much bigger than in basketball.

Yet 99% of people in this country can't name 10 hockey players and/or match 10 names to faces. The NHL is never ever going to get to the level of the NBA. Sure the first round sucks but that's not because of the format. It's because of other reasons like poor talent and injuries and not as much parity. The fascination for these guys to team up with their friends is also a contributing factor. IMO the main problem is the talent. Not sure how to fix that.

I'm a basketball guy, not a hockey guy. Never been on ice skates. Still exciting.

I also realize that NBA players are bigger stars than most actors/actresses in Hollywood, I get marketing to the nth degree.

Put money on it and even golf becomes exciting lol.

I can't watch hockey unless there's a wager involved. Just me.

I can see that thinking during the regular season NBA but come playoff time time the NHL kicks the NBA's ass as far as close, exciting, action packed games go. And they do it year after year.

No foul, foul, foul, time out, foul, time out, foul, ad nauseam in the last few minutes of a hockey game.

Sorry, wasn't my intent to turn this into the age old playoffs debate, just gets frustrating as a fan, even when I win. Two weeks for this first round isn't interesting unless you're gambling, even if your team is in it (but not a contender). Portland guy I was with today agreed with me. Didn't give a fuck about tonight's game.

We all know what drives this shit. Gambles. Anyone who watched the first two days is a die hard or had money on the game. If you are neither and still watched, pretty shitty weekend.

If you're a Dubs fan and season ticket holder, what a crock of shit that you have to pay for two or three extra meaningless games to see your team win the damn thing. (Spurs too I guess if that happens)

Would be fine if the league was a around 23/24 teams where the 8 seed can be more competitive. While I think the talent is watered down compared to the mid-eighties, it is highlighted by having so many more teams diluting the talent too.

Obviously Hockey is different in that higher seeds win it all sometimes, unlike the nba. Heck the Kings won as 8 and 6 seeds just in the last few years. Since 1994, teams seeded 6th or worse made the stanley cup finals 9 times. It just isn't the same as the NBA.

And Baseball has the long regular season but actually makes the regular season matter with less teams making the playoffs and that is after expanding that.

I get it is about the money. I get that were I fan of a team, I would be happy to see them play the GSW this year in the first round just to have the joy of beating them if the fluke occurred. But these teams don't really have a chance of winning the nba championship .... about all they could do is make it so we don't see the series that we really do want to see or injure someone so that it is a less appealing match up.

As gamblers, we should be happy for every opportunity to bet it if we are winning at it though.

Concur

If you hate Hollywood and elitism, you should really hate the NBA. It's Hollywood on crack.

I don't hate either, but it's an entertainment league, and its stars are treated as such. Like Will.

since 2014, when curry out dubs are 1-4ATS and 2-3 SU. this season it already happens vs HOU. Dubs won by 4, 114-110. if curry out tonight by his coach, gonna take HOU+13. don't know how many points curry is worth on the line (3, 6,7?)

<header class="entry-header" style="box-sizing: border-box; margin-bottom: 20px; color: rgb(103, 103, 103); font-family: 'Open Sans', Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif; font-size: 16px; -webkit-tap-highlight-color: rgba(0, 0, 0, 0); -webkit-text-size-adjust: 100%;">[h=1]Referee Assignments[/h]April 18, 2016
</header>Referee assignments are posted at approximately 9:00am ET each game day.
[TABLE="class: table, width: 315"]
<thead style="box-sizing: border-box;">[TR="bgcolor: #222222"]
[TH="class: tableTitle"]Game[/TH]
[TH="class: tableTitle"]Official 1[/TH]
[TH="class: tableTitle"]Official 2[/TH]
[TH="class: tableTitle"]Official 3[/TH]
[/TR]
</thead><tbody style="box-sizing: border-box;">[TR]
[TD]Indiana @ Toronto[/TD]
[TD]Monty McCutchen[/TD]
[TD]Tony Brown[/TD]
[TD]Jason Phillips[/TD]