2016 NBA Finals: Cavaliers - Warriors Discussion

Divol and teamblatt must have loved tonights game with the GSW staff coaching the Cavs staff under the table.
Yes, but honestly, I doubt Blatt could have won this game as well. Warriors just a nightmare for Cleveland match ups wise. They have two of their best and smartest players in the two positions that have Cavs weakest defenders (PG and PF), Cleveland's strongest unit is smallball unit and it works in GSW's favor. They have one of the better Bron defenders in Iggy. Blatt did amazing job in last year's Finals and made it 4 - 2. The best he could have done this season, is probably to repeat this outcome. Cavs did everything to be similar to the Warriors and they did a great job at it, but still... not as good as the original and can't really do too much to change it...
I still believe that Blatt would have done better job than Lue, but I doubt he or Lue could win this series, unless something huge happens...
If I'm Lue, I stop playing Love and Kyrie together. Frye, Love and Kyrie - you can't have more than one of them on the floor each time. I think that Frye shouldn't play in this series at all and Love should come from the bench. To have LeBron go at Barnes at the beginning of the game or even play him PF and bring Love from the bench, when Green is out...

I was never a top level athlete but I don't remember spending much time while i was waiting around for a week to play my next game about letting that one go so I could play the same guys three days later and try hard then. The minutes also tell the story in this regard.. Love 37, Bron 41 Irving 38 vs Curry 36 Green 40 thompson 24.

BTW in your four series with the 3-1 stat .. how many series did the home team win?

To answer your question: all 4 home teams won game 2 & all 4 won the finals (the '96 Bulls, the '00 & '02 Lakers, and the '13 Heat).

The notion of NBA teams 'taking games lightly'/'not trying hard' is hardly novel, even for playoff games. The Cavs gave nothing like their all in game 3 in Toronto, as a recent immediately-comes-to-mind example (ftr Bron played 39 mins in that game, Irving 38, Love only 30 but he was having a shocker so...). But they certainly tried hard in game 6 at the same venue.

A more distant series I still vividly recall that speaks rather more emphatically to this issue are the 04-05 finals between San Antonio & Detroit. SA were absolute garbage in games 3 & 4 (losses by 17 & 31 pts), in no way, shape or form resembling the slick outfit who had comfortably gone up 2-0 at home (wins by 15 & 21 pts). But once the series was tied and SA faced falling behind in the series for the first time (this was still with the old 2-3-2 format), their competitiveness magically reappeared and they won a monumentally tight game 5 in OT (no team won a regulation period by more than 2 pts, and the game itself was decided by 1 pt; the lead changed 12 times & the game was tied on 18 occasions), one of the best games I've ever watched. How SA went from not being able to win a solitary period on the way to losing by 30+ pts in game 4, to winning that monumentally tight affair at the same venue a few days later with no significant personal changes or injuries affecting either team, speaks directly to the fact that teams take finals games lightly/off. And that Detroit then won game 6 by 9 pts itself made a mockery of their limp efforts in their own initial road games: their propensity to deliver such an intensive road effort existed on every occasion they took to the Spurs floor, but the only time they performed at that venue involved their season ending if they didn't. But of course winning 2 straight at San An proved to be a bridge too far for them, and they lost game 7 (though that was tied w/10 min to go, so again their effort far exceeded anything they showed in the first 2 games).

Maybe because it's the finals someone might find it hard/er to believe a team would take any game lightly. I'm not one of those people. There's little doubt game 2's result will provide a sharper context with which to understand game 1. Right now I'm not sold on the prognosis that that's all the Cavs have to offer. It would be like reading into the game 1 (& 2) result(s) from the 04-05 finals that Detroit simply couldn't live with SA, and that that series was going to go close to being a sweep (just ftr, Detroit led at one point in the 3rd period of their game 1, just like the Cavs did last night). No matter how well someone thought Detroit matched up to San An for those 04-05 finals, their expectations were palpably crushed by the results of those first 2 games. Nothing about them said SA was going to have any difficulty winning that series going forward. Then along came game 3.

With GS and the Under cashing last night, favorites are now 11-1 ATS in Game 1 of the NBA Finals since 2005. Unders are now 8-3-1 in Game 1.

Gonna hold off on G2 props on Green but I'll look for props in the games in Cleveland.

Iggy was the MVP of game 1....

Only way the cavs have a chance is to ugly up the games... They are not beating the Warriors with straight up basketball. Cavs bench is a joke compared to gst. I would actually give Mozgov minutes.

Mozgov sucks. This bench stuff is out of control. Your bench is going to be outscored when it doesn't play. The Cavs bench played 47 minutes, not including 8 minutes of bench clearing garbage time at the end. The Warriors bench played 90, not including garbage. Cavs didn't play well, neither did Golden State, a 15-0 run spanning a few minutes in the 3rd/4th quarter sealed the game and that was the final margin. Everyone just relax and enjoy the best two teams in the finals. I was thinking this morning about how the Celtics and Lakers used to throw haymakers at each other back in the eighties, but social media wasn't around to crown each team after each swing in the series. After the series, it was usually just declared, that was a hell of a series.

Tip, Richard Jefferson and Channing frye will be useless this series

If u call that a haymaker from gst when curry n klay score 20pts combined you are in for world of hurt tip

I bet the Cavs bench looks like a different group of players at home. Not a series until someone wins on the road, or until game 7, whichever comes first.

If u call that a haymaker from gst when curry n klay score 20pts combined you are in for world of hurt tip

I was just referencing the outcome. Golden State's going to score, I don't care who does it. If Curry and Thompson go off, the bench isn't scoring 45 or whatever. I can live with 104 points, Cavs need to play better offense. They need to defend back door cuts, yes, but they weren't fluid on offense. Happens on the road against the best home team in the league. Cavs blueprint hasn't changed. Win all your home games, steal a roadie. Will probably take a 40-point hero game out of Lebron in GS at some point, and a little more help. Softie Love was the only other guy who showed up last night. No one played well, even Bron, that's why they lost by 15. Simple, play better.

Windhorst the Whale had a good observation this morning. He compared the Cavs defensive approach last night to the Raptors in the first couple games of the ECF. So overly concerned with the three that they left the back door wide open again and again.

Windhorst the Whale had a good observation this morning. He compared the Cavs defensive approach last night to the Raptors in the first couple games of the ECF. So overly concerned with the three that they left the back door wide open again and again.
Fuck that slob

No doubt that OKC war got the dubs battle tested. Hell the whole season chasing that record they were getting everybody's best shot. It was a strange game 1 cause the dubs looked to be in cruise control. Never really stressed or nervous, even when the Cavs took a small lead in the 3Q. What helped was taking care of the ball too. Only 9 turnovers. Anytime you can have single digit turnovers in a finals game it's huge.

And I don't think Tristan Thompson is ready to be a starting center. He's actually a PF who's playing the 5 and the dubs are not intimidated. I know you don't like Mosgov tip but do you remember what he did in the finals last year? He played well. Change of coach though so it's going to take a lot for Lue to insert him. Maybe Lebron can ok it.

But this series isn't over yet. The Cavs are better than they showed last night. They're a dangerous team so the dubs gotta stay locked in and focused. I'm gonna look at a Lebron prop next game cause I think even Lebron knows he has to go off for them to win.

CkFEjxOXAAAJPul.jpg

Value with Cavs. Logic with GSW. I layed the wood with GSW in gm 1. Might just lay off here in game 2, and root for GSW to win. Then come back with Cavs 1H bet in game 3.

Mozgov sucks. This bench stuff is out of control. Your bench is going to be outscored when it doesn't play. The Cavs bench played 47 minutes, not including 8 minutes of bench clearing garbage time at the end. The Warriors bench played 90, not including garbage. Cavs didn't play well, neither did Golden State, a 15-0 run spanning a few minutes in the 3rd/4th quarter sealed the game and that was the final margin. Everyone just relax and enjoy the best two teams in the finals. I was thinking this morning about how the Celtics and Lakers used to throw haymakers at each other back in the eighties, but social media wasn't around to crown each team after each swing in the series. After the series, it was usually just declared, that was a hell of a series.

And that is a lot on coaching. Simple as that.

I think Lue has what it takes to be a good coach. He's paid his dues. But everyone knows he's in over his head and not ready to be a Head just yet. That being said, is Lebron still coaching this team?

Interesting but in saying that the Cavs are severely outmatched especially defensively, much like the 2007 Finals series vs SA.

That's just it... GSW won despite not playing all that well. Livingston, Barbossa and Iggy were great, but other than that... Thunder won Game 1, despite not playing well and that's the reason they made it a series. Cleveland lost the game that they should have won. If Dubs win tonight, I wouldn't put a cent on this series coming back to Oakland tied.....

I really don't want to go against the Warriors. But I won't be betting on them. Possibly just 2 -3 Lebron props tonight.

I find it hard lebron losses this series to GSW considering what he did last year with a severely undermanned lineup. Curry and Klay were non factors because of the defense. Cavs however did not factor in Barbosa and Livingston. I doubt they'd make that same mistake again. IMO.

^^^^ this is what I like to call complete disrespect for the Warriors.

The cavs defense came into the game with the plan to stop the splash brothers. The cavs didn't forget about the Warriors bench. Thats bullshit. They just couldn't stop everything the Warriors present. The majority of the players on the cavs are really not championship caliber players. Lebron makes them who they are.

I think the refs do some foul work tonight and Lebron takes more on himself offensively.

The 3-point prop OVER/UNDER is 23.5. Cleveland says they want to push the pace more and shoot more 3's but that is a pretty high number. That's 12 a piece from each team. Clev hit 7 for 21 and GS hit 9 for 27 game 1 both hitting at 33%.

That's an awesome looking bet considering the circumstances of the refs and being down 0-1. Wish I had the option to bet it.

Take a look at his point totals/FGA in game 2s after losing G1. I looked yesterday. If someone can post them that'd be helpful

Back