2016 NBA Finals: Cavaliers - Warriors Discussion

A zone defense against the best 3pt shooting team in the history of the league? Maybe that lineup would help Cleveland on the offensive end, but trying a zone against GS sounds like the worst idea they can come up with.

Yeah, it sounds absurd, but zone is the best way to hide weak defenders...

<button class="user-actions-follow-button js-follow-btn follow-button btn" type="button" style="color: rgb(41, 47, 51); font-style: inherit; font-variant: inherit; font-weight: bold; font-stretch: inherit; font-size: 14px; font-family: inherit; margin: 0px; overflow: visible; cursor: pointer; border: 1px solid rgb(225, 232, 237); padding: 4px 12px 9px; border-radius: 4px; position: relative; vertical-align: top; background: linear-gradient(rgb(255, 255, 255), rgb(245, 248, 250)) no-repeat rgb(245, 248, 250);"> Follow</button>

SportsCenterVerified account@SportsCenter
Kevin Love has been informed that he won't be medically cleared to play Game 3. (via @ESPNSteinLine)

Now we all know that Lue and the Cavs are deliberately keeping Love out tonight, right.

Highly unlikely he hasn't 'been cleared'.

Cavs locker-room is a cluster-fuck.

Real adjustment to the total tonight as it's down to 204.5 and I still think it's too high. Even if you run the Cavs at a 100 offensive efficiency their isn't enough possessions this series to clear 204.5 and that's w/out a drop off in Golden State's production which should happen on the road.

Under 103.5 1H
Under 204.5
points between 191-200 +328 small
LeBron over 28.5 points -130
Klay Thompson under 22.5 points -125

Cavs locker-room is a cluster-fuck.

It's funny, games 3 & 4 in OKC you never saw the Warriors bickering or pointing fingers at each other despite getting killed out there but the first sign of adversity and the Cavs shows signs of incohesion and mental weakness. Didn't see that from them in last year's Finals even at the end of the series when Golden State was putting them away.

Nike doing their thing...

[FONT=&quot]
<button class="user-actions-follow-button js-follow-btn follow-button btn" type="button" style="color: rgb(41, 47, 51); font-style: inherit; font-variant: inherit; font-weight: bold; font-stretch: inherit; font-size: 14px; font-family: inherit; margin: 0px; overflow: visible; cursor: pointer; border: 1px solid rgb(225, 232, 237); padding: 4px 12px 9px; border-radius: 4px; position: relative; vertical-align: top; background: linear-gradient(rgb(255, 255, 255), rgb(245, 248, 250)) no-repeat rgb(245, 248, 250);"> Follow</button>

Nike BasketballVerified account@nikebasketball
[/FONT]​
[FONT=&quot]Believe in LeBron.
[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]
Ckdx5TEW0AEHwUI.jpg

[/FONT]

Think we'll get a game where both teams show up? Kind of think we're due for one that's tied with a few minutes to go. (But I'll take Cavs by 30 again.)

Dubs are 0 - 4 this postseason in Game 3 both SU and ATS (lost to Houston, Portland, Okc and now Cleveland).

Think the Dubs will push back with some effort tonight, but who knows. Wonder how Cavs handle the Love thing, assuming he's cleared. I don't know if it has much to do with him or Jefferson on the court, but things looked good when Bron was checking Green.

Looking at Curry props. He's heard a lot about his mediocre play during these finals. I think he starts firing at will. Whether he makes them or not, I think he gets the attempts.

Thought both teams played good defense for the most part in the 2h, especially GSW.

Also thought it was by far the best officiated game of the playoffs that I watched, while also having a ton of perfectly wrong calls. They actually allowed defense which made the game much more enjoyable for me.

Thought it was bad strategy to anger Lebron late given his willingness to quit in the past. Why do that?

But at same point Kyle, what is he going to do? He had every chance to do something special tonight and again he deferred. Jumpshots...drives and kickouts in basically 'this is the season game '. Same old shit he's done so many times. And then you look at a solid stat game and are like wtf...but he had very little presence in this game.

Btw. The second half Bob minutes were big in small ways. LeBrons fav kinda bit him in the ass.

But at same point Kyle, what is he going to do? He had every chance to do something special tonight and again he deferred. Jumpshots...drives and kickouts in basically 'this is the season game '. Same old shit he's done so many times. And then you look at a solid stat game and are like wtf...but he had very little presence in this game.

I thought he played the way I would want him to if I was a Cleveland fan though ... the defense was just good tonight and he wasn't getting the benefit of the doubt on the drives that he would in most modern nba games. I get what you are saying ..... he doesn't have that "IT" when it is crunch time ... passes too much back out on the drives .... but I thought he was taking it pretty strong most of the 2h. So ya ... maybe he quits anyway but I would just let him hang his head going into the last game, not fire him up.

He is the best player in the league, no matter who won the mvp. No one can convince me otherwise. He just isn't clutch in the big game. Curry is more clutch. Hell Klay is more clutch.

I think we need to revisit the three point shot too ... it was supposed to be a bonus for making a harder shot but it isn't anywhere close to being 1.5X as hard as a two point bucket and it is easier to create.

Nope. Leave it alone Colin. Allowing the small guys to neutralize the big guys has made this sport interesting to me again. Finally.

I think we need to revisit the three point shot too ... it was supposed to be a bonus for making a harder shot but it isn't anywhere close to being 1.5X as hard as a two point bucket and it is easier to create.
I think teams need to work on their jump shots. It's the same distance for both teams. Don't penalize one team cause they hit at a high rate. Either defend it better, or start making your own.

I think teams need to work on their jump shots. It's the same distance for both teams. Don't penalize one team cause they hit at a high rate. Either defend it better, or start making your own.

I don't begrudge any team who is taking advantage of the rules. Just saying the three point shot is too easy for the pt differential.

LeCramps was on a 20-0 SU playoff run when leading at halftime at home.

13-0 SU as a Cav. Was disappointing.

The officiating was brutal both ways but Cramps and Kyrie were getting raped at the basket especially in the 2nd half.

At the end of the day though, Dubs hit their 3's and the Cavs missed their FT's and that was the difference.

Lue left Kyrie in the entire 2nd half along with Cramps, another rookie mistake.

Chad Zumock @chadzumock

David Blatt has more #NBAFinals wins than Tyronn Lue without Kyrie and Kevin Love.#NBAFinals #Cavs

Last edited:

That's always been the case though, nobody was smart enough to catch on to that fact until D'Antoni and Stan Van Gundy came along. The fact that Steve Kerr is coaching the team that optimized the strategy is perfect casting...his one and only year in college w/ the 3 point line he hit an utterly ridiculous 65% of them in conference play (60-92).

Not sure how you make the distance longer unless the court gets widened.

You want a criminally short 3 point line look at the ACC in 1982-83 when they experimented and used a 3 point line of 17 feet 9 inches....That's how some no name kid from nowhere Oklahoma led the ACC in scoring as a freshman w/ 20.3 a game. Yea Mark Price put that short line to use.

I don't begrudge any team who is taking advantage of the rules. Just saying the three point shot is too easy for the pt differential.
Well that's what I'm saying, other teams need to attempt them more if it's too easy. And it's not just the shooting. It's the team chemistry, moving without the ball, crisp passing etc to get wide open shots. And it's not like Cleveland didn't attempt any. They shot 25 of them. Just hit at a crappy 24% while GS hit at 47%.

While we're talking about shooting, let's look at free throws too. Cavs hit 58% to the dubs 81%. Teams need to get back to the basics of hitting a mid range jumper. For a game that's about making baskets, I swear some of these GMs would rather go for the flare and the athletic guy over the boring guy who's a pure shooter.

Bron not getting calls and he knows it. Still the best player in the world even when he defers. He does it all. Just unreal expectations of him.

Well that's what I'm saying, other teams need to attempt them more if it's too easy. And it's not just the shooting. It's the team chemistry, moving without the ball, crisp passing etc to get wide open shots. And it's not like Cleveland didn't attempt any. They shot 25 of them. Just hit at a crappy 24% while GS hit at 47%.

While we're talking about shooting, let's look at free throws too. Cavs hit 58% to the dubs 81%. Teams need to get back to the basics of hitting a mid range jumper. For a game that's about making baskets, I swear some of these GMs would rather go for the flare and the athletic guy over the boring guy who's a pure shooter.

Agree with everything you wrote.

And speaking of the mid-range jumper, GSW are remarkable at that lost art as well. Hell Livingston may be the best in the game at this point

Ha knew that was coming

Curry and Klay not too shabby at the 15-18 footer either which is rare for 3pt types

In the completely unprovable debate over which champion is better, I think this current Warriors team beats the last several champions in a series, all the Heat teams, going back to the Spurs when they were young, AZkid will have to provide the year. And they might beat those guys too, their shooting rips hearts out.

Cavs in 7, by the way.

I would love to see current Dubs against Lakers with Shaq and Kobe... Wonder what style would have won. Would Warriors punish Shaq enough for Phil to sit him or Shaq would just dominate the paint too much for the Warriors to handle...

I would love to see current Dubs against Lakers with Shaq and Kobe... Wonder what style would have won. Would Warriors punish Shaq enough for Phil to sit him or Shaq would just dominate the paint too much for the Warriors to handle...

Shaq would average 40-20 in a series like that.

The guard matchups would be fun.

Those Lakers had a lot of good 3pt shooters too.

They would hack the shit out of Shaq. Their offense wouldn't be able to get in a rhythm. Bogut, Varajao, Ezeli, and Speights= 24 fouls to use. Hell they'd bring in MacAdoo just to use his fouls too. If he misses both FT's or hits 1, then the dubs hit a 3 ball, GS wouldn't stop. But agree with BAR if they played him straight up he'd eat us up alive. Nobody could stop the diesel. Except Ben Wallace which was crazy in the finals that one year.

It could be the type of series where one style whips the other with the match ups and it is a really bad series but I am not sure which team would do the whooping.

Shaq would be the best player on the court. Kobe probably the second best(?) ... but the thing I have learned about the warriors and respect so much about them now is that they have a TON of bench depth. Quality depth. Shaq also has to play controlled minutes. I do wonder though ... in todays nba there are no bigs ... so when teams extend on GS to take away the three, they get a lot of easy layups in the lane. Put some bigs back there and extend the defense and those layups can get a lot harder.

Would be fun to watch. I would be cheering for the warriors in a big way, of course.

And speaking of the mid-range jumper, GSW are remarkable at that lost art as well. Hell Livingston may be the best in the game at this point

They can and do have guys w/ the mid range game, but they simply don't shoot them because of their inefficiency. Last night they only hit 6 mid range shots...everything else was a 3, in the paint, or at the FT line....simply the smartest team organizationally in the league right now.

In the completely unprovable debate over which champion is better, I think this current Warriors team beats the last several champions in a series, all the Heat teams, going back to the Spurs when they were young, AZkid will have to provide the year. And they might beat those guys too, their shooting rips hearts out.

Cavs in 7, by the way.

Best Spurs team ever (despite this years 67 win team) was the 2006 team which got knocked out in game 7 by the Mavs who had the Title stolen from them by the Heat. Coming off the 2005 Championship they added Micheal Finley and an old Nick Van Exel to a roster of Duncan, Manu, a young Tony Parker, Bowen, Horry, and Brent Barry...Duncan would absolutely dominate but I don't think they beat this years Warriors.

I know BAR hinted earlier somewhere in this thread that he considered the 86 Celtics the greatest team of all time, I hate to say it but I think the Lakers team the following season in 87 was actually better. AC Green replaced Kurt Rambis as the starting PF, and Klay's dad Mychal Thompson was added to give Kareem a legit backup. 9th guy on the roster was Wes Matthews Sr. who the season before in a 3 game sweep to the Lakers averaged 25 a game. The 86 Celtics bench doesn't match up even w/ a healthy Bill Walton, after him it was really only Jerry Sichting who I thought was average at best and an old Scott Wedman.

Team that surprisingly never gets mentioned in the GOAT team discussion is the first Pistons Bad Boys team. After they got rid of Dantley that was as good a team as I've ever seen, and Aguirre's stats look average but his fat ass could still score...was scoring 22 a game for the Mavs at the time and off back 2 back 25 pts/game seasons. Rodman and Salley along w/ Vinnie Johnson and James Edwards off the bench and the 10th guy was James Long who had started the previous 10 seasons in the league(many for earlier Pistons teams)...hell the last guy on the bench was a rookie PG Micheal Williams who would go on to be a good starter for 4 years in the league and would have been a few more if not for injuries.

So tough because MJ makes those Bulls teams seem better than they were .... meaning put him on any team at that time and they are winning championships eventually ....

I think the mid-eighties Lakers teams were probably the best that I personally saw from overall talent. I was a Silk fan but the better team was after he was gone. Hard to argue with KAJ, Magic, Worthy, Green and Scott as a lineup with quality off the bench. Those celtic teams were also great which is what made for great basketball at the time. Bird, Parrish, Mchale, Ainge, DJ. But the Lakers were special. Magic was a one of a kind.. could probably beat HIV if he got it.

Bad boys were good. I cheered for them to beat the celtics and lakers but those teams were not as good imo.

I think basketball as God imagined was at its zenith when the those Lakers and Celts were going back and forth.

Only chance the Cavs have of winning Game 5 is if Money Green gets suspended.

LeCramps knows this.

Back