2015 MLB HOF Inductions

It's pretty simple. Don't play, manage, and gamble all at the same time. Don't get caught with illegal vitamins. You can do all that and earn, just don't expect to be enshrined in the HOF.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Welcome to immortality. The <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/HOF2015?src=hash">#HOF2015</a> electees: Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez, John Smoltz and Craig Biggio. <a href="http://t.co/yAMmKkiePK">pic.twitter.com/yAMmKkiePK</a></p>&mdash; MLB (@MLB) <a href="https://twitter.com/MLB/status/552540584569995266">January 6, 2015</a></blockquote> <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Pedro at his best, first few years in Boston, THE best starting pitcher I've ever seen.

OK, a small whisper against Biggio.

Had he not (a) played for 20 years, (b) been a member of the same team his entire career, (c) so notably switched positions a few times, (d) been an all around good guy .... If not for all that, I think he's on the fence. Not a particularly good defensive player, despite his career versatility. Not a HOF hitter without the sentimental attachment to the name. Lesser players are not in.

Also, not a lot of opportunity, but Biggio's post season accomplishments are on no one's radar.

Interested in seeing who didn't get the 5%

[TABLE="width: 100%"]
<tbody>[TR]
[TD]Votes[/TD]
[TD]Player [/TD]
[TD]Percentage [/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]534 [/TD]
[TD]Randy Johnson [/TD]
[TD]97.3% [/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]500 [/TD]
[TD]Pedro Martinez [/TD]
[TD]91.1% [/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]455 [/TD]
[TD]John Smoltz [/TD]
[TD]82.9% [/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]454 [/TD]
[TD]Craig Biggio [/TD]
[TD]82.7% [/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]384 [/TD]
[TD]Mike Piazza [/TD]
[TD]69.9% [/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD] 306[/TD]
[TD]Jeff Bagwell[/TD]
[TD]55.7%[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]302 [/TD]
[TD]Tim Raines[/TD]
[TD]55.0%[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]215 [/TD]
[TD]Curt Schilling[/TD]
[TD]39.2% [/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]206 [/TD]
[TD]Roger Clemens [/TD]
[TD]37.5% [/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]202 [/TD]
[TD]Barry Bonds [/TD]
[TD]36.8% [/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]166 [/TD]
[TD]Lee Smith [/TD]
[TD]30.2% [/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]148 [/TD]
[TD]Edgar Martinez [/TD]
[TD]27.0% [/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]138 [/TD]
[TD]Alan Trammell [/TD]
[TD]25.1% [/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]135 [/TD]
[TD]Mike Mussina [/TD]
[TD]24.6% [/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]77 [/TD]
[TD]Jeff Kent [/TD]
[TD]14.0% [/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]71 [/TD]
[TD]Fred McGriff [/TD]
[TD]12.9% [/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]65 [/TD]
[TD]Larry Walker [/TD]
[TD]11.8% [/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]64 [/TD]
[TD]Gary Sheffield [/TD]
[TD]11.7% [/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]55 [/TD]
[TD]Mark McGwire [/TD]
[TD]10.0% [/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]50 [/TD]
[TD]Don Mattingly [/TD]
[TD]9.1% [/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]36 [/TD]
[TD]Sammy Sosa [/TD]
[TD]6.6% [/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]30 [/TD]
[TD]Nomar Garciaparra [/TD]
[TD]5.5% [/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]21 [/TD]
[TD]Carlos Delgado [/TD]
[TD]3.8% [/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]4 [/TD]
[TD]Troy Percival [/TD]
[TD]0.7% [/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]2 [/TD]
[TD]Aaron Boone [/TD]
[TD]0.4% [/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]2 [/TD]
[TD]Tom Gordon [/TD]
[TD]0.4% [/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]1 [/TD]
[TD]Darin Erstad[/TD]
[TD]0.2% [/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]0 [/TD]
[TD]Rich Aurilia [/TD]
[TD]0.0% [/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]0 [/TD]
[TD]Tony Clark [/TD]
[TD] 0.0%[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]0 [/TD]
[TD]Jermaine Dye [/TD]
[TD]0.0% [/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]0 [/TD]
[TD]Cliff Floyd [/TD]
[TD]0.0% [/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]0 [/TD]
[TD]Brian Giles [/TD]
[TD]0.0% [/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]0 [/TD]
[TD]Eddie Guardado [/TD]
[TD]0.0% [/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]0 [/TD]
[TD]Jason Schmidt [/TD]
[TD]0.0% [/TD]
[/TR]
</tbody>[/TABLE]

OK, a small whisper against Biggio.

Had he not (a) played for 20 years, (b) been a member of the same team his entire career, (c) so notably switched positions a few times, (d) been an all around good guy .... If not for all that, I think he's on the fence. Not a particularly good defensive player, despite his career versatility. Not a HOF hitter without the sentimental attachment to the name. Lesser players are not in.

I agree with all of this... but all of it kinda is included in HoF voting. Surpasses #s. I'm ok with him getting in. As a voter I'd probably vote him. Bagwell as well.

Really don't understand the resistance to Piazza at all. Never really suspected of PED use. Not the greatest defensive catcher, but he's hands down the greatest hitting catcher I've ever seen during my lifetime (and I'm old enough to remember Bench, Fisk and Carter).

I mean, I think the criteria for being in the HOF should be whether or not you were recognized as one of the dominant players of your generation - to me, Piazza was, while Biggio was most definitely not. In Biggio's case, it's pretty obvious longevity played into it but, if that's one of the benchmarks, might as well induct someone like Jamie Moyer as well.

yeeesh i wouldn't even call it a mixed bag after that. Not sure any of those guys has a sniff of a shot.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/awards/hof_2016.shtml

Would think Trevor Hoffman has a chance at some point, Billy Wagner will be around for a few years before falling below 5%, maybe Jason Kendall (okay, maybe not). Be a good year to get the votes up on a few guys.

2016 Prediction:
Kid - In
Piazza - In
Bagwell - In or just misses
Raines - misses but gets into the lower to mid 60s, barely misses in 2017
Schilling - over 50%
Clemens and Bonds both over 45%

I'm pretty opposed to the modern one-inning closer getting in. Mo's in when eligible. Not Hoffman.

I can make a halfway decent case for Schilling. Playoffs matter.

Really don't understand the resistance to Piazza at all. Never really suspected of PED use. Not the greatest defensive catcher, but he's hands down the greatest hitting catcher I've ever seen during my lifetime (and I'm old enough to remember Bench, Fisk and Carter).

I mean, I think the criteria for being in the HOF should be whether or not you were recognized as one of the dominant players of your generation - to me, Piazza was, while Biggio was most definitely not. In Biggio's case, it's pretty obvious longevity played into it but, if that's one of the benchmarks, might as well induct someone like Jamie Moyer as well.

This times 1000. Piazza is squarely in the conversation of the best catcher of all time. To hold him out because someone has their intuition that he took roids is ridiculous.

This times 1000. Piazza is squarely in the conversation of the best catcher of all time. To hold him out because someone has their intuition that he took roids is ridiculous.

Same then for Clemens ?

Bonds, Clemens, Piazza, Schilling, and Raines all belong.

HOF voting has become an absolute joke and quite frankly ruined a great American sports institution. How Biggio can get in but Lou Whitaker can't even stay on the ballot past his first year is beyond comprehension.

Jesus if you're going to go there then Sosa and McGwire better be in there, MLB sure loves that those two came along to delay the slow death of the game

Was there a rampant rumor about Piazza and the sauce anyway? Never really heard that.

I wish one of these guys that got in the last 10 years would admit that he used, and knows others that used, just so these idiot fucking writers can stop and put Bonds in

Bonds and Clemens were HOFers without PEDs, were as McGwire likely isn't and Sosa has no case.

The game would be cared for by roughly a bunch of losers if not for McGwire and Sosa, they probably deserve a spot just for making anything after 1998 relevant.

I wish one of these guys that got in the last 10 years would admit that he used, and knows others that used, just so these idiot fucking writers can stop and put Bonds in

I disagree. We're not hanging these guys from a tree on the White House lawn. We're keeping them out of the baseball hall of fame. Bonds and Clemens were locks before they decided to cheat undefeated father time. They're a disgrace. Jack Morris, Kenny Lofton, Sweet Lou, Tim Raines, Curt Schilling … let's put the right guys in first, then we'll worry about the chumps and cheats.

You think Schilling didn't cheat tip.

That's the problem with your argument.

I disagree. We're not hanging these guys from a tree on the White House lawn. We're keeping them out of the baseball hall of fame. Bonds and Clemens were locks before they decided to cheat undefeated father time. They're a disgrace. Jack Morris, Kenny Lofton, Sweet Lou, Tim Raines, Curt Schilling … let's put the right guys in first, then we'll worry about the chumps and cheats.

than no one from the 80s on should go in

because we dont know

The game would be cared for by roughly a bunch of losers if not for McGwire and Sosa, they probably deserve a spot just for making anything after 1998 relevant.

This is false, I think. Baseball was never in danger of going away. And the regulars … still a bunch of losers, er … eccentrics. Always been that way.

This is false, I think. Baseball was never in danger of going away. And the regulars … still a bunch of losers, er … eccentrics. Always been that way.

And I disagree, pretty significantly.

MLB loves McGwire and Sosa, whether they say it or not. Kids hate it. Can't give away tickets anymore.

And you won't find someone much more pro baseball than me, but I'm also in touch with its challenges.

And I disagree, pretty significantly.

MLB loves McGwire and Sosa, whether they say it or not. Kids hate it. Can't give away tickets anymore.

That was one summer, in two cities. Sosa and McGwire, Bonds thereafter, home runs in general, didn't save baseball in 30 cities. We didn't go down to the park to pretend we were watching something else.

That was one summer, in two cities. Sosa and McGwire, Bonds thereafter, home runs in general, didn't save baseball in 30 cities. We didn't go down to the park to pretend we were watching something else.

No one still goes to games there

And I hope you don't think MLB and its teams make their money on attendance

No one goes to games in a lot of cities. I can't give my tickets away on a cold week night, and I don't mean that as a flippant catch phrase … I literally can't give them away. But the game isn't going anywhere, and Mark McGwire didn't save it. He sullied it.

The McGwire/Sosa bandaid was very lucrative for MLB, it stopped the bleeding for a minute

Sure, I remember the excitement. What I don't remember is wondering whether baseball would cease to exist before Sammy Sosa saved it.

Who said cease to exist? It's trending that way for sure, but would likely be much closer to extinction than had that roid race not existed.

And by exist, I mean as a major professional sport, probably lasts our lifetime, I hope

Couldn't disagree more, they ruined the game for me and I have lost any interest in the sport because of what a farce they made the game.

1998 was relevant in baseball terms because of the greatness of the Yankees, not for those two jackasses.

I think you underestimate the appeal of the game of baseball. Look at CTG, a small speck on the sports earth, really small if you include twinkie. Almost everyone here younger than I am. Yet, a very spirited baseball interest.

Attendance at actual games is down in pretty much everything other than college football, a destination event and a drunken party. I'll use my beloved Indians as an example. They really, really can't figure out how to attract actual fans in the park. They're the only consistently good sports product in town, and reasonably priced. People love the Indians, TV viewership and radio listenership has never been better. People just don't go to the games. It's a commitment, a three-hour commitment. But the interest is there.

Couldn't disagree more, they ruined the game for me and I have lost any interest in the sport because of what a farce they made the game.

1998 was relevant in baseball terms because of the greatness of the Yankees, not for those two jackasses.

No they haven't, you're still commenting on it. If you lost interest you sure as fuck wouldn't have an opinion on a gambling forum 15+ years later...you'd have checked out. Just quit with the drama.

Back