2014 MLB Trade Deadline Rumors and Deals

Max, Price, sanchez, Jv/Porcello

or Gray, Shark, kazmir, Lester

Who u got?

A's hands down for me..better lineup and better relief pitching..

Detroit's SP look better to me, with or without JV.

I want to use him in the 7th/8th in the playoffs. starter until then obv.

Sure, I can see that as well. As long as we're talking about him simply pitching ONE inning out of the pen, I think it's a great scenario for the Tigers.

Max, Price, sanchez, Jv/Porcello

or Gray, Shark, kazmir, Lester

Who u got?

A's hands down for me..better lineup and better relief pitching..

Tigs pitchers have the hardware. What, 3-4 Cy Youngs?

JV is a wildcard..thats a drastic change in middle of career nonetheless middle of season..Ricky P has experience with long relief at least.

When is deadline over?

Yeah they do tip, but hitting has been the problem in playoffs..when beaners wear hoodies they can't hit.

JV is a wildcard..thats a drastic change in middle of career nonetheless middle of season..Ricky P has experience with long relief at least.

When is deadline over?

you aren't looking for long relief in the playoffs, you're looking for an inning or two. lincecum did this to perfection, why is everyone so baffled/confused by this?

Cold weather, inexperienced manager. Phil Coke..I can go all night..watch this team everyday.

Tigers problems are bats and closers in playoffs. Always has been.

agree hunt...i don't care what anyone says, but det and oak should have been trading for clutch hitters instead of more starters...both teams get blanked when they face good starters in the playoffs, and they aren't helping that problem by creating monster pitching rotations.

There must be no Rays fans on here. If I'm a fan, I'm pissed right now. I realize they probably weren't planning on re-signing Price, but the deal as it stands is extremely weak. I'm hearing one more player may be going to Tampa. It better be a decent prospect of some kind.

agree hunt...i don't care what anyone says, but det and oak should have been trading for clutch hitters instead of more starters...both teams get blanked when they face good starters in the playoffs, and they aren't helping that problem by creating monster pitching rotations.

Depends on your perspective. My team always seems to run into good starting pitching.

no such thing as clutch. all teams get blanked in the playoffs when you're facing the best of the best and stacked rotations like this.

story I came across earlier today.....from 10 days ago on Nick Franklin

[h=1]A’s Interested In Nick Franklin[/h]By Mark Polishuk [July 21, 2014 at 11:36am CDT]
Mariners second baseman Nick Franklin is “a top target” of the Athletics as they explore upgrades at the keystone, Susan Slusser of the San Francisco Chronicle reports. Franklin’s name has been a fixture in trade rumors ever since the M’s signed Robinson Cano, with theRoyals and Rays among the clubs most recently connected to the 23-year-old infielder.
As Slusser notes, there are some obstacles in the way of an Oakland/Seattle trade match on Franklin, mainly that the Mariners may not be interested in helping a division rival. The Mariners are also known to be asking for a high price for Franklin, and the A’s may not have enough young talent left in the system following their recent major trade with the Cubs forJeff Samardzija and Jason Hammel.
Franklin played 104 games for Seattle in 2013 and was seemingly being groomed as the Mariners’ second baseman of the future before Cano signed. Franklin has appeared in only 17 games with the M’s this season and has spent most of the year dominating minor league pitching — he owns a .300/.394/.481 slash line in 283 PA at Triple-A Tacoma. With experience at both second and shortstop, Franklin could be a fit for the A’s at either position;

I agree. 100%..Tigers have never hit in playoffs..U gotta hit. besides most Tiger pitchers hit 100 pitches by 6th inning.

You can't stack your line-up with Rusty Staub and Pat Tabler. You CAN stack your rotation with Cy Young winners.

I really wanted Smyly kept..I am greedy tho..would have been nice to go l/r/r or r/l/r with him in pen.

I dunno Monk have the tigers hit last 3 playoffs or 2006.

I would tend to agree about the hitting vs pitching in the playoffs....good pitching almost always beats good hitting. However, in the past few years, there has been a lot more hitting in the playoffs. I'm just thinking about the totals, and the past few years has seen many more overs than unders in the playoffs.

Again, I agree that good pitching beats good hitting...it just hasn't been that way in the past couple/few years.

i agree with the general concepts, but a person being clutch is real and undeniable...it doesn't just have to do with baseball, but in life. some people are just great with their back up against the wall, some people are leaders, and some people don't want to carry a load.

Meh. The "clutch" thing is overrated in sports. Especially when talking about baseball....if guys go in slumps during the playoffs they are seen as not being clutch. The only thing is, the way those players performed over the entire season is usually a very big reason that team is in the playoffs to begin with.

I would tend to agree about the hitting vs pitching in the playoffs....good pitching almost always beats good hitting. However, in the past few years, there has been a lot more hitting in the playoffs. I'm just thinking about the totals, and the past few years has seen many more overs than unders in the playoffs.

Again, I agree that good pitching beats good hitting...it just hasn't been that way in the past couple/few years.

agree with this...baseball has changed...it's about who has the hitters to wreck an ace now--if you want to win a championship that is.

It's jsut been my experience as a bettor and fan Tigers are an awful hitting playoff team. Starters were amazing last year...maybe they are exception to rule i dunno..look at the pen today...jsut brutal..been like that all year..then you ask starters to change roles just for playoffs..I hope Leyland..err..Ausmus shifts rotation now to prepare.

i agree with the general concepts, but a person being clutch is real and undeniable...it doesn't just have to do with baseball, but in life. some people are just great with their back up against the wall, some people are leaders, and some people don't want to carry a load.

lol these guys are professional athletes, they are a different breed. over time in every study done on clutch in baseball, basically nobody has turned up "clutch". in general their performance lines up wit their expected performance within a standard deviation or two based on the sample size.

agree with this...baseball has changed...it's about who has the hitters to wreck an ace now--if you want to win a championship that is.

Very true. However, when you're now talking about teams that have 3 (even 4) legitimate "aces" it's going to be tougher to do. I'm not so sure that aces have been getting wrecked as much as the 2, 3, or 4 guy in the rotation has been hit in the playoffs. Going to be very interesting to see if any team can "wreck" the pitchers the A's and Tigers will trot out there.

lol these guys are professional athletes, they are a different breed. over time in every study done on clutch in baseball, basically nobody has turned up "clutch". in general their performance lines up wit their expected performance within a standard deviation or two based on the sample size.

athletes are only a superior breed physically, not mentally

Back