2008 Cincinnati Bearcats Preview

Dmoney416

Ben Mauk's Counsel
Returning Lettermen:
Off. 20, Def. 21, ST 3
Lettermen Lost: 20

Projected weaknesses: OL, DE, S, K
Projected strengths: DT, LB, CB, P, WR

<TABLE cellSpacing=1 cellPadding=3 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR class=bg0><TD>Schedule</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
<TABLE cellSpacing=1 cellPadding=2 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR class=bg1 align=left><TD>Date</TD><TD>Opponent</TD><TD>Time/Result</TD></TR><TR class=bg2 vAlign=center align=right height=17><TD align=middle>Aug 28</TD><TD align=middle>Eastern Kentucky</TD><TD align=middle><SCRIPT>document.write(formatTime('%I:%M%p', 1219966200))</SCRIPT>7:30pm</TD></TR><TR class=bg2 vAlign=center align=right height=17><TD align=middle>Sep 6</TD><TD align=middle>@Oklahoma</TD><TD align=middle><SCRIPT>document.write(formatTime('%I:%M%p', 1220729400))</SCRIPT>3:30pm</TD></TR><TR class=bg2 vAlign=center align=right height=17><TD align=middle>Sep 20</TD><TD align=middle>Miami (Ohio)</TD><TD align=middle>TBA</TD></TR><TR class=bg2 vAlign=center align=right height=17><TD align=middle>Sep 27</TD><TD align=middle>@Akron</TD><TD align=middle>TBA</TD></TR><TR class=bg2 vAlign=center align=right height=17><TD align=middle>Oct 3</TD><TD align=middle>@Marshall</TD><TD align=middle><SCRIPT>document.write(formatTime('%I:%M%p', 1223078400))</SCRIPT>8:00pm</TD></TR><TR class=bg2 vAlign=center align=right height=17><TD align=middle>Oct 11</TD><TD align=middle>Rutgers</TD><TD align=middle>TBA</TD></TR><TR class=bg2 vAlign=center align=right height=17><TD align=middle>Oct 25</TD><TD align=middle>@Connecticut</TD><TD align=middle>TBA</TD></TR><TR class=bg2 vAlign=center align=right height=17><TD align=middle>Oct 30</TD><TD align=middle>South Florida</TD><TD align=middle>TBA</TD></TR><TR class=bg2 vAlign=center align=right height=17><TD align=middle>Nov 8</TD><TD align=middle>@West Virginia</TD><TD align=middle>TBA</TD></TR><TR class=bg2 vAlign=center align=right height=17><TD align=middle>Nov 14</TD><TD align=middle>@Louisville</TD><TD align=middle><SCRIPT>document.write(formatTime('%I:%M%p', 1226710800))</SCRIPT>8:00pm</TD></TR><TR class=bg2 vAlign=center align=right height=17><TD align=middle>Nov 22</TD><TD align=middle>Pittsburgh</TD><TD align=middle>TBA</TD></TR><TR class=bg2 vAlign=center align=right height=17><TD align=middle>Nov 29</TD><TD align=middle>Syracuse</TD><TD align=middle>TBA</TD></TR><TR class=bg2 vAlign=center align=right height=17><TD align=middle>Dec 6</TD><TD align=middle>@Hawaii</TD><TD align=middle>TBA</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

The schedule shakes out pretty well for this team in my opinion:

- They get the token I-AA game to start the season. Their game against SE Missouri St. last year went a long way in smoothing out the rough edges of the depth chart.

- They get the early road game against a top five team that should prep them well for the duration of their schedule.

- They play improving MAC squads in Miami OH and Marshall. As a matter of fact, Marshall gave them some problems last season before faltering late, so that game could be a tricky one, especially with the conference schedule looming.

- The bye seem to work to their favor as well. They get an extra week to recover from the Oklahoma game, they get an extra day to prepare for Rutgers, and an extra week to prepare for the road game at UConn. The only real problem is the trips to WVU and Louisville in a six day span.

- Lastly, they get four of their seven conference games at home.

Offense

Led by Ben Mauk last season, this offense shined behind Brian Kelly's spread as they put up 472 points. Things shake out a little differently coming into this season, but the potential is there.

Quarterback

Once again, there is tremendous uncertainty at the position. Ben Mauk is still going through every outlet in order to gain a final year of eligibility, but it is unlikely at this point as the NCAA does not want to set a precedent in this case. Assuming Mauk doesn't get the nod, the position comes down to three guys: Senior Dustin Grutza, redshirt freshman Chazz Anderson, and ND transfer Demetrius Jones.

When Jones decided to transfer from ND, the message boards were abuzz with the limitless possibilities of the offense with him behind center. Truth is, though, he has a long way to go. He is coming off shoulder surgery, he is learning a new offense, and his accuracy leaves much to be desired. He has a vast pool of potential, but my guess is that it will take him a year in order to tap into it. Brian Kelly jokingly said during camp that "he was terrible, now he's just lousy." Reports are that he has improved a bunch, but I would place him third in this race barring a big improvement over the past couple of months. However, those who watched the spring game generally said that Kelly undersold Jones in the media. Still no choice but to place him third until we hear otherwise.

Chazz Anderson is the darkhouse here, as he basically came out of nowhere with his mobility and accuracy during camp. He had 1,000 rushing yards to go along with his 6,000 through the air in high school. He impressed in camp, but struggled in the spring game. The prospect of a freshman playing his first I-A game in Norman isn't too appealing either.

Dustin Grutza is the safe bet. He has experience, and while he hasn't impressed too much in the past, neither had Ben Mauk before last season. He showed that he can play in this system when he was forced to start against Miami OH last season (if memory serves, Cincy won that one 43-10). There is a problem with Grutza though. He can manage the spread offense, but his arm is limited, which could limit the potential of this offense. He has also probably hit his ceiling, which means he will beat the teams you expect him to beat, but he won't pull a rabbit out of his hat @Oklahoma or @West Va. The consensus with Bearcat fans is that Grutza could lead them to a solid 9-4 year, but the chances of a Big East Championship are slim to none with him at the helm. Still, given Kelly's quotes, Grutza is the starter for now:

"If Ben Mauk is not back, Dustin Grutza is the starter," Kelly said. "We all know he won't dazzle you with arm strength or some of the things people look for in evaluating a quarterback. But, he manages the game well."

And after the spring game:

"The young kids aren’t ready yet to the level that I want them to be,” Kelly said. “Dustin Grutza is the starter if Ben Mauk’s not back.
“Now, those kids are going to be given every opportunity to take that job away from Dustin Grutza. I’m not going to hand it to him. We’ve got five weeks of pre-season camp. That’s a long time. If we’ve got to sort it out, that’s fine.”

Whenever Kelly talks about Grutza, it seems like forced praise mixed in with criticism. However, he has the experience and has been the most impressive to this point, so he is the starter until further notice.

To be continued.....:cheers:

nice shit D. Feel like I've been hearing Grutza's name forever now. Very interested int he defensive side of things, remember Cinci being very opportunisitc on defense. That schedule is a little tough with RU-Uconn-USF-WVU-LVille all in a row, meaning, they play the better half of the conference in a row with no breaks and 3/5 are on the road.

*Note - Phil Steele projects that Demetrius Jones will be thst starting QB, and I'm sure that he is a privy to more info than I am, so take my previous post with a grain of salt. Time will tell.

Running Back

Cincinnati loses basically everyone at this position coming into this season. Butler Benton (518 yds), Greg Moore (466 yds), Bradley Glatthaar (155 yds), and Doug Jones (blocking FB) are gone. Given these losses, one would think that this unit would suffer. Chances are though, it won't.

In Kelly's spread, he likes to rotate fresh legs in and out in order to push the tempo. Basically, he simply likes to use his depth to pressure the defense. Therefore, rarely will you see an RB in this system run more than 15 times in a game. In fact, no Cincinnati RB had more than 100 rushes last season, but four had 87 or more rushes. Look for the same story this season.

Phill Steele is once again going on potential as opposed to the conventional route as he lists freshman Isaiah Pead as the starting RB. Pead was a relatively highly touted recruit and was the Division IV Player of the Year in the state of Ohio. He had 2,200 yards in his senior season and was offered by West Vriginia, Pittsburgh, Indiana, and Maryland.

Truth is, though, that is won't likely matter who starts. Look for a relatively even split between Pead, Jacob Ramsey (96 carries, 401 yards LY), and John Goebel (Scout team POY last year). Goebel has impressed in offseason and spring workouts and likely earned himself some carries during the year. RB prospect Mister Simpson could see some action as well.

Overall, the production of this unit willl likely rival that of last year's quartet. However, Mauk was able to make this work as as his awareness and escapability was enough to overcome the fact that the offense was relatively one dimensional. It remains to be seen if Grutza/Anderson/Jones will need more help from this unit in order to be successful.

Wide Receivers/Tight Ends

Cincinnati returns a talented trio at the WR spot and I think they compare favorably to other WR groups. Dominick Goodman (68 rec, 869 yards, 8 TDs), Marcus Barnett (62 rec, 862 yards, 13 TD, 2nd team all-BE), and Marshawn Gilyard (36 rec, 536 yards, 3 TD) all return and will make up the starting line-up for this spread offense. The key here is that these guys mesh well on the field. Goodman is more of a possession WR while Gilyard and Barnett have the ability to stretch the field at any time.

This group will be joined by freshman DJ Woods. According to Scout, Woods was clocked at a 4.36 in the 40. He was also offered by Auburn, Iowa, Missouri, Penn St., and West Virginia. If memory serves, he was also offered by Michigan and ultimately chose Cincy over the Wolverines (perhaps the Michigan guys here can confirm this).

Also listed on the depth chart is Derrick Stewart. He was academically ineligible in both '05 and '07 (so I'm not holding my breath for this season), but he was very effective in '06, when he was named Cincy's Most Outstanding WR. In 2006, he had 33 receptions, 675 yards (20.5 avg), and 5 TDs. This included 9 grabs for 166 against UConn. He also was an effective punt returner, averaging 9.2 yards per return on 25 tries. He could add to this unit if he can find his way to the field.

Armon Binns and Charley Howard will also see some time at the position. Howard had modest numbers last year, grabbing seven balls for 94 yards and a TD.

At TE, Junior Kazeem Alli and redshirt freshman Adrian Robinson will likely see 95% of the time. Robinson was recruited as a WR and apparently has speed in the 4.5 range. He is also huge (6'5'', 250) and could be yet another option for whoever ends up behind center. Alli strikes me as more of a well-rounded and traditional TE, so I would think he would be at TE when some extra blocking is needed. Alli was actually the favorite to win the job as a freshman back in '05 until a hand injury derailed with rookie campaign. Ben Guigigli could also see some time at the position.

Last edited:
huh. thought for sure it would be grutza.

Think we pretty much know what we get from this offense , which is a lot of production because no matter who the actual qb or rb is ,,,, they will have a pretty good line to throw behind or run behind. all the talent at WR should mean the opposing linebackers are a yard further from the line of scrimmage as well and also means less safety help in run support.

Here is my question for you Dmoney ...... How on this green earth are the bearcats going to replace Hoke and Craig ??? Because if the bearcats can effectively replace those two guys i think they could be this years connecticut of sorts and really surprise.

While I was doing my look in at big east sandwiches , i noticed that cincy gets a few teams in great spots , so i think i might be looking to bet this team quite a bit as i think they are loaded with talent , return a lot of talent ( save qb and DE ), have a really good coach and are likely to be undervalued by the public for the more marquis teams in the league.

When you do the defense writeup ....as much info on the new DE's would be greatly appreciated.

love the writeup and talk to ya later , Dmoney

Offensive Line

You wouldn't know it by looking at the stats last season, but this offensive line struggled mightily at times, especially against the top tier teams in the Big East. This was masked somewhat by the amount of points Cincinnati scored (472), an opportunistic defense that would give them favorable field position, and a QB in Mauk who would often make something out of nothing.

This unit returns several guys with experience, but they will have to improve.

At Center, Chris Jurek returns after starting the majority of last season. This will be an important position for the Cats this season. Cincinnati struggled mightily with penalities last season, leading the nation with 122 flags. This also drew 1028 yards in penalty yardage, which was last in the nation by a good margin (USC was 2nd-worst with 967). Part of the reason was Jurek, who seemingly had a tough time communicating with Mauk. False start flags ran rampant, and Jurek seemed to regress as the season went on and the competition improved. Jurek actually lost his job late last season, and will have to prove himself worthy of the job once again in camp.

Steele lists CJ Cobb as the projected guy at RG, but I personally think that Jason Kelce will win the job. Kelce was the defensive Scout Team POY in '06 and was on the 2nd team OL for the majority of last season. He has shown the propensity to work hard and I believe he will win the spot. Still, the OL will be switching frequently, so both should see time regardless of who wins the job. There is more than a 50 pound difference between the two (Cobb is listed as 326, Kelce at 269) so whoever plays could vary greatly on the situation.

Trevor Canfield will anchor the line at LG. He is the best O-lineman Cincy has by a fair margin. He made 2nd Team All-BE last year, and he will have to match (if not surpass) his performance of last season in order to bring this line together.

Jeff Linkenbach and Khalil El-Amin round out the OL at tackle. Both have experience, as El-Amin started the majority of the games last season, and Linkenbach started in 06 before suffering through an injury-riddled campaign last season. Both have proven to be servicable in the past, but they must step it up a notch this year.

Last edited:
Defense

On ths surface, this squad only returns six starters and could struggle. Both DEs and both Safeties are gone. However, this unit still has plenty of experience and may end up starting as many as nine seniors. Leading tackler Haruki Nakamura (95 tackles, 4 INT) and sack master Anthony Hoke (58 tackles, 13 sacks) are gone, but they do return seven of their top 10 tacklers.

Defensive Line

Let's start with the defensive tackles before addressing the quagmire that is the defensive ends.

Cincinnati will be quite solid in the middle, as both Adam Hoppel (38 tackles, 4 sacks, 1 int) and Terrill Byrd (56 tackles, 8 sacks, 9 tackles for loss, 2nd team All-American) return to anchor the line. Byrd is suspended for the season opener against Eastern Kentucky due to an off-field incident, but he will be back for Oklahoma. However, the depth here is a bit questionable, as Ricardo Matthews (11 tacklers, 2 sacks LY) is the only other DT that has meaningful experience. Still, with these two anchoring the middle, the run defense should be solid once again.

Now, at DE, both of the starters are gone. The aforementioned Anthony Hoke (58 tackles, 13 sacks) and Angelo Craig (43 tackles, 3 sacks) are off to NFL training camps. Kelly is presented with a real problem here, as there was really no depth at the position either.

The solution? Move guys to the position and pray that it works out. OLB Lamonte Nelms is now a DE. Former TE Connor Barwin is now a DE. Former QB Craig Carey (yes, QB) is now a DE.

For Lamonte Nelms, the transition could be a seamless one. At 6'3'', 245, it is obvious that Kelly is looking for a Jason Taylor-esque DE that will put pressure on the QB. Nelms made his was way from a special teams back-up to a OLB last season. He saw meaningful time and put together a very solid year: 33 tackles, 4.5 sacks, 5.5 TFL, 1 INT. Nelms was listed at 235 last season, but is now listed at 245. Don't be surprised if he is a little heavier than that once the season opener rolls around.

Connor Barwin had 400 reception yards last year, but now he'll be on the other side of the ball attacking the guys he used to protect. Barwin is listed 6'4'', 240. He is fast and powerful though, as he is listed with 4.6 speed. According to Steele, he also benched 225 25 times. Barwin's development during the spring has been encouraging, particulary during the spring game:

The play that pleased Kelly the most was a sack by defensive end Connor Barwin, who ran across the field to chase down Anderson and force a fumble.
Barwin, who was switched this spring from tight end to defensive end, said he knew five days into practice that he could handle the new position, but the sack provided more evidence.
“For a defensive end, a sack is like scoring a touchdown for a tight end,” Barwin said. “So it felt really good to get that.”
It was exactly what Kelly envisioned when he made the switch of Barwin and quarterback Craig Carey to defensive end.
“(Barwin) and Craig Carey showed that they can help us at the defensive end position,” Kelly said. “That’s what we’re looking for, athleticism on the field, off the edge.”

(taken from: http://beta.cincinnati.com/apps/pbcs.dll/section?Category=blog04)

There has not been as much information about the former QB Craig Carey, but he is listed as one of the primary backups to Nelms and Barwin in Steele's preview. Here is an article about his situtation from April 10th:

<TABLE><TBODY><TR><TD class=storytitle colSpan=3>Former Quarterback Now QB’s Worst Enemy </TD></TR><TR><TD class=primaryimage vAlign=top>
540296.jpg

</TD><TD noWrap width=3></TD><TD vAlign=top><TABLE cellSpacing=1 cellPadding=4 width="60%" bgColor=#f5f5f5 border=0><TBODY><TR vAlign=top><TD vAlign=center noWrap>By Sam Elliott
Bearcat Insider Staff
Posted Apr 10, 2008

</TD><TD noWrap>
536537.jpg

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

A lot of attention this spring has been on Cincinnati’s collection of quarterbacks, and rightfully so. Less light has been shed on one Bearcat who used to call himself a quarterback, but now lines up opposite the signal callers. His new job? Hunting the quarterbacks down from the defensive line. Bearcat Insider caught up with Craig Carey to check in on how the new gig is going. "Free Story"

</TD></TR><TR><TD colSpan=3>
“So far it’s been pretty good, a little rough at the start,” said Carey of his spring ball thus far. “It’s coming along a little better; I’m starting to read the offensive line a little better.”
<?XML:NAMESPACE PREFIX = O /><O:P></O:P>
After thinking it out throughout last season, the Elder grad made up his mind on the switch during the off season, during which strength and conditioning coach Paul Longo talked to him repeatedly, suggesting the move.
<O:P></O:P>
“I’m just hoping to get on the field, just help out wherever I can,” said Carey after practice Tuesday.
While not taking a single snap at quarterback, Carey still appeared in all 13 of the Bearcat’s games last season. As a member of the special teams unit, Carey collected 11 tackles, five of them single handedly. With that being his only playing experience in the last year, it’s no surprise the physicality level demanded at defensive end has been tough for Carey.
“Fighting in the trenches,” said Carey definitively when asked what was the hardest thing for him to adapt to at the new position. “The physicality level, just trying to fight off blocks and get my hands on the offensive line before they get theirs on me.”
Coming from an athletic past, the 6’-4” 233-pound Carey does think he’s got one thing going for him.
“I think being able to run, run down plays and being more athletic than the person across from me,” said Carey of what’s been able to help him the most in going up against offensive linemen.
Carey is one of two former offensive players to be joining the Bearcats’ defensive line starting this spring. After catching 31 passes for 399 yards and two touchdowns in 2007, former tight end Connor Barwin has made a new home for himself on the defensive side of the ball. Much has been made on the Barwin news, with the senior being more of a big name than Carey had been for <?XML:NAMESPACE PREFIX = ST1 /><ST1:CITY w:st="on"><ST1:PLACE w:st="on">Cincinnati</ST1:PLACE></ST1:CITY> football prior to this year. Carey however, doesn’t mind having to share the spotlight one bit.
“I’m not worried about the spotlight. He can have all the spotlight,” said Carey of Barwin, who he doesn’t see as stealing any thunder. “We’re going to work together, try to make this defense a lot better.”
When asked who has taken to the new position better between the two of them, Carey responded with a smile and by saying, “He might be doing better, but I look a lot better out there, so he can have that,” as Barwin got a laugh out of the comment in the background.
Regardless of who plays, or looks better, Carey and Barwin should be a dangerous addition to an already dangerous <ST1:CITY w:st="on"><ST1:PLACE w:st="on">Cincinnati</ST1:PLACE></ST1:CITY> defense.

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Last edited:
I'll try to get more info on the DL if and when it comes.

Thank BC - looking forward to talking foots all season.

VK - I wouldn't call the OL a glaring weakness, but I just don't think its as good as last year's stats suggest. As they are now, they can handle the mid-majors (Akron, Marshall, Miami OH, etc). However, how they perform in the big games will hinge on Jurek's development and Linkenbach's return from injury.

Rest of the defense and the season prediction will be coming soon.

Linebackers

This should be a very solid group, as the linebackers boast the team's two top returning tacklers in Corey Smith (80 tackles, 2.5 sacks, 2 INT) and Ryan Manalac (76 tackles, 1 sack, 1 INT). Andre Revels (66 tackles, 1 INT) should fit in at the outside linebacker spot. There was some concern about Manalac taking the position full-time, but he was very good down the stretch last season (had the game-clinching INT @Rutgers) and was recently an impact player during the spring game, picking off two passes.

Like defensive tackle, however, depth could be a problem here as well. Delbert Ferguson (14 tackles LY) is the only 2nd teamer with meaningful experience.

Defensive Backs/Safeties

Cincinnati boasts what I believe to be a corner tandem that ranks in the top five of the NCAA. Mike Mickens decided to return for his senior season alongside DeAngelo Smith. Mickens garnered 1st team AA last season, registering 53 tackles and 6 INT while being responsible for the opposition's top WR. Smith was first in the NCAA with 8 INT, and he threw in 49 tackles as well. This group may be tested more this season, particularly given the uncertainty behind the defensive ends. However, this unit will get some help in the depth department with the arrival of Ohio St. transfer Brandon Underwood (Ohio St. guys, info on this guy would be appreciated).

At safety, both starters are gone. Haruki Nakamura (95 tackles, 4 INT) and Anthony Williams (74 tackles) must be replaced. The big loss was Nakamura, who was considered the heart of the defense. They will be replaced by Cedric Tolbert (46 tackles LY) and Brad Jones (22 tackles, 1 INT LY). Both have experience, but neither have seen the spotlight that comes with starting every week. This tandem along with the defnesive ends will ultimately determine the fate of this Cincinnati defense, as the DT, CB, and LB spots look to be solidified.

The depth at safety will be provided Aaron Webster, Drew Frey, and David Wess. Mark DeAntonio originally wanted Wess to play QB after Pat White ripped into them a few years back. However, Wess could make the progression fast enough and was moved back to safety. He is incredibly quick and athletic, and could be the X-factor at the position if he develops.

Prediction

Steele has Cincinnati having a down year due to their "good fortune" last season. They were +16 in turnovers and they lacked any major injury. I can't really argue against the injury claim, as they had no major setbacks outside of the 1.5 games that Ben Mauk had to sit out (against Miami OH and Marshall). However, +15 of this +16 came in the first four games of the season against SE Missouri St., Oregon St., @Miami Oh, and Marshall.

Cincinnati won these games 59-3, 34-3, 47-10, and 40-14, respectively. Now, while some of these turnovers may have been good fortune, most of it was due to defensive domination and these turnovers generally would not have figured much into the final outcome (the Oregon St. game could have been different, but I think I'd have to assume that they still would have won).

In addition, this team had the "misfortune" of being last in the nation in penalties. While some this is due to poor execution, I think that any team that was last in the nation in penalties was likely subject to some bad luck during the season.

Therefore, I'll present the two edges of the spectrum.

Worst case scenario: 7-6

Obviously, a rash of injuries could occur and cause a disaster for this team, but I can't assume that. I suppose I could see this team going 6-7, but I'd be extremely surprised. Worst case scenario, they should open the season 3-2, which assumes a loss @Oklahoma and a slip-up against either Maimi OH, @Akron, or @Marshall (likely the most dangerous). The Big East strikes me as a jumble of talented teams minus Syracuse. So, they could struggle there, but they have the advantage of having four home games, so they really should finish with a winning mark in conference (3-4 at worst).

Best Case Scenario: 11-2

This would assume that they beat everyone besides that very likely losses @Oklahoma and @West Virginia.

Ultimately, I'll predict a 9-4 record for this team. Despite the tricky game @Marshall in the non-conference, this team should still go into Big East play at 4-1. I really believe that they should put up a winning mark in conference as well, and they are lucky enough to get one of the contenders (Pittsburgh) at home in a revenge situation. They end up with Hawaii, but I won't even try to predict that debacle as Hawaii is basically an unknown commodity and Cincinnati's fate could be sealed at that point.

Last edited:
If anyone has any questions, I'll do my best to answer.

I'll post info whenever more definitve answers come around on the QB, DEs, and safeties.

Kelly waiting for clearance on former Minnesota player Alex Daniels
Posted by BKoch at 6/24/2008 11:41 AM EDT on Cincinnati.com

UC coach Brian Kelly was waiting this morning for clearance from school president Nancy Zimpher that would allow former Minnesota football player Alex Daniels to become a member of the UC football team.

Daniels, a defensive end from Columbus, was one of four players who were dismissed from the Minnesota football team in July 2007 after they were involved in a sexual misconduct incident with an 18-year-old woman on campus.

Daniels was arrested in connection with the incident, but was never charged with a crime, according to Kelly, and transferred to UC last year, paying his own way, first at Raymond Walters College and then in the College of Arts and Sciences.

“He needs to meet some criteria that we set relative to academics and his situation and relative to his court case,” Kelly said this morning. “We had to get all the proper documentation and run it by the president.”

According to a July 18, 2007 Associated Press story, Dominic Jones, a junior and one of the best defensive players on the Minnesota team, was accused of having sex with an 18-year-old woman who was “physically helpless” after a night of binge drinking at a campus apartment in early April of that year.

Investigators said that Daniels used his cell phone to film Jones having sex with the woman. Hennepin County attorney Mike Freeman said that Daniels, E.J. Jones and Keith Massey also had sex with the woman earlier that night.

“I don’t know what facts the prosecution had that they had to charge one and not the others,” Kelly said. “All I know is in our conversations with our lawyer, (Daniels) was not charged and will never be charged. The case has been closed.”

Asked if he were concerned about the public relations fallout if Daniels becomes part of the UC program, Kelly said, “If he was charged with a crime, I would be concerned, but he was never charged with a crime. What we’re dealing with here is bad judgment and I can work with somebody making a mistake from that standpoint.

“The bottom line was that he needed to come to school and work on his degree. He got into school on his own. I feel comfortable if the president signs off on it.”

Another delay in Mauk hearing
Posted by BKoch at 6/23/2008 2:52 PM EDT on Cincinnati.com

No one wants to see the Ben Mauk saga reach a conclusion more than UC coach Brian Kelly, with the exception of Mauk himself, but it turns out that Mauk's hearing before the NCAA's Student-Athlete Reinstatement Committee won't happen this week after all. Three days after Kelly said he expected the hearing to take place either tomorrow or Thursday, he just informed me that the head of the committee is on vacation and won't return until next Monday, June 30. That means the Mauk hearing won't happen until next week at the earliest. On and on it goes. Of course, if it turns out that Mauk succeeds in securing a sixth year, he'll consider the outcome to be worth the wait. Still, the delay has to be excruciating for Mauk, who wants to know once and for all if he'll get to play this year. And for UC fans, who also would like to have an idea of who the Bearcats' quarterback will be this fall.

Brandon Underwood was signed in 04 out of Hamilton high school in Cincinnati. Here is a quick synopsis

A tall, lanky, quick-footed defensive back with a great burst ... as a senior, tallied 60 tackles as a senior after a junior year in which he recorded 50 tackles, had three interceptions and 15 pass breakups ... was a second-team all-conference selection as a junior ... ranked as the 13th-best prospect in the state by The Ohio Football Recruiting News and No. 16 by Ohio High ... Rivals.com ranks him as the 16th-best cornerback prospect in the nation and as the 13th-best overall prospect in Ohio ... TheInsiders.com ranks him as the nation's 14th-best cornerback prospect ... boasts 4.41 speed in the 40 ... coached by Mark Kalugyer

His brother EJ was a top 3 cb nationally, 5 star and signed in 02. Played significant time in 02 early (Cincinnati game). Had great coverage but never looked back for the ball, gave up big plays and saw the bench. All the talent in the world, but he never had awareness to feel the game. Stupid penalties and he could not play zone. Transferred to a D-II college and now has bounced around practice squads on the Giants, Jets, Bills and currently a free agent.

Brandon transferred due to grades. He saw lots of special teams action but his heart was never into it at Ohio State, perhaps due to his brother transferred.

-------The Daniels kid was offered by OSU, Tressel wanted him BAD. He went to Columbus Brookhaven with Massey and Jones who were involved in that incident. Daniels is an extremely athletic linebacker. He excels in pass coverage. He played lb for Minnesota but then also I believe Mason used him as a running back for a period of time after Russell other columbus products went down the wrong road.

dmoney, the way that I do record predictions is very simple. If I think its a win then I give them a point, if I think its a loss I give them a loss, and if I think its more or less a toss-up that could go either way, I give them a half a win. Under these guidelines, I came up with:

@ OU 1 loss
MiamiOH 1 win
@ Akron 1 win
@ Marshall 1 win
Rutgers 1 win
@ UConn .5 win
USF .5 win
@ WV 1 loss
@ UL .5 win
Pitt .5 win
Syracuse 1 win
@ UH 1 win

I could see the season finale going either way just because BS always occurs out there, but anyway, I look for them to be about 8-4 against 1A competition. That sounds like its in the same ball park as your prediction?

Dmoney,

DJ Woods was offered by OSU, and then OSU cooled on him. He committed to Nebraska at one point, and may have commit to Auburn before that.

--The guy I would watch for is Nick Truesdell from Cincinnati Anderson. I watched him in the state semifinal and he is unbelievable. 6-7, basketball player who got into football late and only started blossoming after learning the playbook in the playoffs.

If there was more body OSU would of been all over him. They visited his school after he blew up but thats it.

---The key for the Nati is scoring points this year. Last season they played those close games with their defense and then Maulk could will it out.

You are right, their offensive line was overrated last season. With Groza, thinking back when he played for Dantonio they would run the tailback or run Groza. When Groza did drop back I believe questionable decision making am I right.

----IMO Kelly's offense COULD get them into some trouble this year with as much as he likes to throw it around. Dantonio in that last year was building an offensive line that took no prisoners. His philosophy was we are going to run keep running and wear the opponents out. I remember the USF game in particular which was one of the biggest manhandlings I'd seen in awhile.

They seem to have lost that mentality on the line. Last year with Maulk the playcalling got him into some troublsome situations, I can only imagine Groza.

---I think the safeties, especially Nakumara is something that cannot be replaced with talent. Nakumara was such a leader and brought that whole defense together.

I believe a down season for Cincinnati as compared to last year. Looking at that schedule, there are no freebies in the Big East. In that conference, everyone is about equal. They will get there wins but without Nakumara and Mauk I see about a 500 year. Ending with Hawaii my friend will be no easy task.

UC clears Daniels
By Bill Koch • bkoch@enquirer.com • July 3, 2008

Alex Daniels, one of four players dismissed from the Minnesota football team in July 2007 for their involvement in an on-campus incident with an18-year-old woman, has been cleared by athletic director Mike Thomas to play this season at UC.

Daniels, 21, was arrested, but was never charged with a crime. He transferred to UC last year, paying his own way, first at Raymond Walters College, a UC branch campus, and then in the College of Arts and Sciences on the main campus.

According to a July 18, 2007 Associated Press story, Dominic Jones, a junior and one of the best defensive players on the Minnesota team, was accused of having sex with an 18-year-old woman who was “physically helpless” after a night of binge drinking at a campus apartment in early April of that year.

Investigators said Daniels used his cell phone to film Jones having sex with the woman. Hennepin County (Minn.) attorney Mike Freeman said that Daniels, and Minnesota players E.J. Jones and Keith Massey also had sex with the woman earlier that night.

“This decision was discussed in great detail,” Thomas said. “Any time you have to make a decision like this you have to analyze it on a case-by-case basis, examine the circumstances and make the determination based on the person’s character and the facts in the case.

“After reviewing the circumstances and his situation, I believe he understands what he did was wrong and has made the necessary changes to put his life back on track. His performance in the classroom and his behavior since arriving in Cincinnati suggests that he is solidly committed to being a successful student-athlete and a productive member of society.”

The guy must be a rpetty good player for them to want him after this. I wouldn't want him.

Thanks for all of the extra info concerning the recruits, O.

Basically what I was thinking as well Gar.

VK, I wouldn't want him either, but unfortunately all will be forgotten if he goes out and get a couple of sacks in the opener.

Mauk still waiting
UC's practice looming
By Bill Koch • bkoch@enquirer.com • July 24, 2008

bilde

The waiting continues for Ben Mauk.

A little more than a week before the University of Cincinnati begins football practice on Aug. 1, the Bearcats' once and maybe future quarterback still doesn't know if the NCAA will grant him a sixth year to complete his four years of eligibility.

He doesn't even know when the teleconference that will give him the forum to plead his case to the Student-Athlete Reinstatement Committee will be held.

Mauk said he doesn't sit around agonizing over what's going to happen. But he would like to have his status resolved.

"I think it would benefit me because now I'm missing out on some job opportunities," Mauk said. "I don't know what to tell employers that are inquiring about what I'm going to do."

Mauk's request for a medical hardship waiver that would provide him with a sixth year to complete his four years of eligibility was turned down by the NCAA for the second time in 21/2 months on April 30. The NCAA said Mauk lacked documentation from his former school, Wake Forest, to support his claim that an injury prevented him from competing during his freshman year there in 2003.

This time, Mauk and UC will present their case armed with a precedent they believe closely mirrors Mauk's situation.

The good news for Mauk and UC is that even if the committee does not hear his case in time for the start of practice next week, the NCAA has said Mauk still can work out with the Bearcats.

"I'm still allowed to work out with the team, so I can get myself ready in case something would happen," said Mauk, who passed for 3,121 yards and a school-record 31 touchdowns last season.

"I'll be out there if I'm getting reps or not," Mauk said. "Mental reps are just as important as physical reps."

Whenever the hearing does occur, Mauk plans to be ready. He has practiced what he'll say to the committee.

He said he doesn't blame anyone for the delay in reaching a decision.

"It's not like every day I'm on pins and needles," Mauk said. "But I've been thinking about my case a lot. I put together a speech because in the conference I didn't want to leave anything out. Obviously, you're going to be nervous when you're on the phone with the NCAA."

In the meantime, Mauk continues to work out - and answer questions almost everywhere he goes from people who want to know whether he'll play this season.

"My mom said she's going to make me a shirt that says on the front whatever the decision is," Mauk said. "Hopefully we can get a big 'They Said Yes' shirt."

So let me get this straight ..... the ncaa won't hear the case which is unfair not only to mauk himself but the program now as well. Mauk can practice with the team , take a bunch of snaps that would otherwise go to one of the other qb and then not be allowed to play. Coach probbly wont give him snaps but still.

ncaa is so stupid.

listening to rivalsradio the other day and they said it doesnt look good for mauk.

So let me get this straight ..... the ncaa won't hear the case which is unfair not only to mauk himself but the program now as well. Mauk can practice with the team , take a bunch of snaps that would otherwise go to one of the other qb and then not be allowed to play. Coach probbly wont give him snaps but still.

ncaa is so stupid.

listening to rivalsradio the other day and they said it doesnt look good for mauk.

The NCAA is basically a bunch of idiots. There are so many occasions where they have screwed over Cincinnati (mostly in basketball). I don't think denying Mauk would be a screw job, but making him wait this long without a definitive answer certainly is.

On a side note, The Greek posted Cincinnati season total wins, but they haven't posted a number yet. I am hoping it is near where it opened in Vegas (7). If the number is 7, I'll pay an awful lot of juice to bet the over. It's something to keep an eye on.

I think the Mauk situation is really going to hurt Cincy if the NCAA doesn't let him come back.

He's taking snaps away from the projected starter and backups and the team is spending half or a third of the time getting used to him leading the ship.

Back