**********WORLD CUP IN-GAME***********

This will be pretty close to a home match for Argentina. The South Americans are here in huge numbers, outnumbering Iceland support by 10-1. There are neutrals here, but not many. #WorldCup⁠ ⁠1529152330851.png

Pretty sure that the opening game of MLS season didn't even draw 500k on ESPN, so not even close from a ratings standpoint.

I watch soccer every weekend and I haven’t watched a second of the mls this season outside of the games I went too

I watch soccer every weekend and I haven’t watched a second of the mls this season outside of the games I went too

From a ratings standpoint, soccer just isn't in the discussion compared to things like NFL, NBA, NHL, etc. Even WWE Monday Night Raw draws around 3 Million every Monday, so from a US tv ratings standpoint, soccer just isn't something that interests most here in the US. I mean, FOX just ponied up over 1 Billion to secure the rights for WWE Smackdown Live for 5 years, no one is offering soccer that kind of movie for tv rights.

From a ratings standpoint, soccer just isn't in the discussion compared to things like NFL, NBA, NHL, etc. Even WWE Monday Night Raw draws around 3 Million every Monday, so from a US tv ratings standpoint, soccer just isn't something that interests most here in the US. I mean, FOX just ponied up over 1 Billion to secure the rights for WWE Smackdown Live for 5 years, no one is offering soccer that kind of movie for tv rights.

i just read this WC was $200mm

What about when you include Liga MX , pretty sure that beats NHL viewership

Fox paid 400 million for this and next world cup...basically 2 months of soccer

But this is a once every 4 years deal. What kind of money are the weekly leagues getting in terms of tv rights? That to me would be an apples to apples comparison. I honestly don't know, but I would assume they aren't even getting WWE money.

Can keep looking, what fox paid for bundesliga...then the big one, champions league rights

NBC paid a billion for 6 years of premier league

Thanks for the info! Fox paid a billion for 5 years of WWE Smackdown which is considered the "B" show behind Monday Night Raw, so I actually would consider the tv rights secured by WWE to be a much more impressive feat than those secured by the premier league.

fake wrestling outdraws eberything but NFL doesn’t it?
fake wrestling outdraws eberything but NFL doesn’t it?

Not even close as college football and college basketball marquee games do extremely well on cable as do all the major sports when they get into playoff mode. The reason I bring up WWE is because these days they are all competing against each other for the entertainment dollar. Sports and entertainment go hand in hand as they are not mutually exclusive. All sports is sports entertainment in my opinion.

Thanks for the info! Fox paid a billion for 5 years of WWE Smackdown which is considered the "B" show behind Monday Night Raw, so I actually would consider the tv rights secured by WWE to be a much more impressive feat than those secured by the premier league.

I don't really know the WWE viewership but soccer dwarfs NHL quite easily in viewership...baseball is not far behind. Baseball is a sport that will be behind the NHL within 15 years

I don't really know the WWE viewership but soccer dwarfs NHL quite easily in viewership...baseball is not far behind. Baseball is a sport that will be behind the NHL within 15 years

On average, Monday Night Raw draws around 3 Million every Monday and Smackdown draws around 2.5 Million every Tuesday so about 5.5 Million combined for the 2 regular shows.

FOX also was gjiven 2026 World cup for 400 millison by FIFA, which will turn out to be the best sports right deal of all time

Live sports is definitely the direction things are going in the future so not surprised at all the money being thrown around as it makes sense

If we look at the Stanley Cup alone...US Tv ratings were million for Game 5 (clinching game) and nothing about 3 million for any other game...thats the CHAMPIONSHIP of hockey

having just moved here, I've told people the Penguins are playing tonight and the question I mostly get is "who the fuck are the Penguins"?

The kings are coming here in September, and two people asked me who the Kings

If we look at the Stanley Cup alone...US Tv ratings were million for Game 5 (clinching game) and nothing about 3 million for any other game...thats the CHAMPIONSHIP of hockey

having just moved here, I've told people the Penguins are playing tonight and the question I mostly get is "who the fuck are the Penguins"?

The kings are coming here in September, and two people asked me who the Kings

The Stanley Cup Game 5 this year averaged about 6 million viewers not 1 million...

NBC was first in ratings with a 1.9 rating/9 share in the advertiser-coveted 18-49 demographic and in total viewers with an average of 6 million, according to preliminary numbers.

Gurv who did you say has CL going forward?

Turner

I believe they paid 500 million - not sure how many years

for comparison sakes the Champions League final got 3 million viewers for Real Madrid - Juventus. A game that has no home team in the USA outdrew the Stanley Cup on 4/5 nights

i really like John Strong, and Stuart Holden has really really improved, he used to be terrible announcer

Reactions: KJ
I think everyone on the board is on Iceland... if emkee was here that would mean the curse of death for Iceland backers

Nah he’s right, penguins out draw caps

I would still stand by that soccer is bigger then nhl already

yeah I think we you go all in it does, if you go MLS/NHL no, but when you include what Liga MX pulls in every week for sure

Back