Wildcard Round: What Are We Learning

Well, Trevor got his playoff jitters out of the way.

If it wasn't already clear, we know what Trevor preferred MO is: quick, short/immediate passing game. But Trevor showed his ability to take advantage of defenses that focus on taking the shorter passing game away

Maybe hard to find too many solid takeaways since the script was so weird.

And as an Eagles fan, I don’t want to overreact, but seeing the way SF played despite the score, I’m feeling much better about our chances vs them.

Re watched that 9er game and man the slippages on both defenses were real. Things didn’t really get better second half just Seattle was forced to go desperate pass first. 9ers get out of the game healthy, too and have passed the Eagles as favorites in the NFC.

As a 9er fan I do not want to see Dallas. That defense relies on making turnovers and Brock plays with fire. He plays like he did in the first half and 9ers could be down 3 scores vs an opportunistic opponent. If he plays like he did 2h no one stands a chance.

Also think Giants could certainly muck it up vs Eagles. But to avoid Dallas I guess I’ll be cheering for Minny who the 9ers are designed to destroy.

As a 9er fan I do not want to see Dallas. That defense relies on making turnovers and Brock plays with fire. He plays like he did in the first half and 9ers could be down 3 scores vs an opportunistic opponent. If he plays like he did 2h no one stands a chance.

Also think Giants could certainly muck it up vs Eagles. But to avoid Dallas I guess I’ll be cheering for Minny who the 9ers are designed to destroy.
You want to see everyone, good teams don't gaf

Dallas makes it past TB and Minny doesn't win, lick your chops

Insanely watered down NFC

You want to see everyone, good teams don't gaf

Dallas makes it past TB and Minny doesn't win, lick your chops

Insanely watered down NFC

We’d likely beat Dallas but there’s zero chance they lose to TB and minimal to Vikings. We’re talking being 99% confident to 85%. And Dallas will actually catch the bunnies that Brock seems to flirt with every game.

We’d likely beat Dallas but there’s zero chance they lose to TB and minimal to Vikings. We’re talking being 99% confident to 85%. And Dallas will actually catch the bunnies that Brock seems to flirt with every game.
Here ya go buddy, pains me to pull for SF but it's reached that point. Unveiling this puppy next weekend.

Brock.jpg

The interior of the 9ers oline is going to have problems in Philly if it gets there.
If Philly doesn’t get clipped next week, I think its a troubling matchup for the 9ers.

We don’t get to fade 9ers opponents the following week anymore ;(. Seattle would for sure not be able to get up and cover anything 6 days from now…

Staley is a fuckstick.
Agree and said in another thread the Chargers should do whatever it takes to get Payton. Not having Williams killed them in Red Zone and 2H - they likely score in 40's with him vs kick/try FGs. They are wasting Herbert and the prime years of some guys around him with Staley - Allen, Bosa and Mack all getting up there. As a former SD fan, I hope they keep Staley and keep coming up short. With KC/Mahomes, Buff/Allen, Cincy/Burrow they need a great coach to break through that. Think Payton would be it.

The interior of the 9ers oline is going to have problems in Philly if it gets there.
If Philly doesn’t get clipped next week, I think its a troubling matchup for the 9ers.

I don't think there is any troubling matchup for the 49ers. Best team in the league, maybe by far.

McCaffrey add has put them above and beyond the other teams.

I actually think the 49ers equally give Philly problems.

Line would probably be Eagles -3

I don't think there is any troubling matchup for the 49ers. Best team in the league, maybe by far.

McCaffrey add has put them above and beyond the other teams.
They could very well be the best team but they've beaten none of the premier teams in their win streak (Philly, KC, Buffalo, Cincy and even Dallas). And Seattle played them even the 1H. Philly at home could easily win if Hurts is healthy. Just me, but I don't see any dominant teams this year at all. Any of these teams could win it.

Re watched that 9er game and man the slippages on both defenses were real. Things didn’t really get better second half just Seattle was forced to go desperate pass first. 9ers get out of the game healthy, too and have passed the Eagles as favorites in the NFC.
Spot on.

I'm glad they won, obviously, but the 2h was about low Seattle possession+ having to be one dimensional in their 4th quarter possessions.

This wasn't a dominant d in 2h.

Agree.

Dallas is scary for the Niners.

Tom is a pretty easy out to be honest.

Cincy is gonna beat Buffalo if they advance. 31 pts to Skyler Thompson led fins?? Cincy may not punt more than once.
I was initially leaning that way too, but the more I think about it, the more I think I'm changing my mind. Bengals lost another OL starter (3 now in the past 3 games) & playing the Ravens, who are extremely physical on offense & defense in back to back weeks, might take a toll. Of course, if Allen gives the ball away 3 times again, none of what I just said will probably matter.

I was initially leaning that way too, but the more I think about it, the more I think I'm changing my mind. Bengals lost another OL starter (3 now in the past 3 games) & playing the Ravens, who are extremely physical on offense & defense in back to back weeks, might take a toll. Of course, if Allen gives the ball away 3 times again, none of what I just said will probably matter.
A lot to ponder.

Cincy OL issues...

Buffalo Josh Allen issues ...

Coaching advantage to Cincy...

Weather?

High emotion game for a few reasons...

Tons of angles for the media in this game for sure. Personally, I think the coaching is a draw, but I'm probably biased. Long range forecast is calling for typical north-east winter weather. 35 & snow flurries, but nothing too extreme.

I believe Allen was sacked 6 times today, so the Bills may have OL issues of their own. Difference could be Allen's elite running ability. He didn't run much today because I suppose they didn't think they'd need him to.

Was really surprised the Bengals/Bills line opened at 6. I was expecting 3. Line dropped 2.5 points in about 5 minutes though.
That was the opener at DK at least. I was watching live when it posted. Not sure what the Vegas books opened at, or if DK follows their lead.

I wrote in another thread that I bet the Cincy TT the night Hamlin got hurt, was 29 I think. Think Cincy would have scored 40+ that night. I was looking to play vs the Buffalo defense. Wasn't sure about Miami though but jumped on their TT Over 13.5 Live early in the game once they started moving it. Now Cincy with 3 OL starters out. Not sure it will matter - have to see what number is and weather. Buffalo defense can't stop anyone.

Tons of angles for the media in this game for sure. Personally, I think the coaching is a draw, but I'm probably biased. Long range forecast is calling for typical north-east winter weather. 35 & snow flurries, but nothing too extreme.
I was down on Sean last year. I don't think he's a bad coach but some of his decisions are interesting to me. Most notably, is going away from the run in 2h's. The RBs had around 60 today at halftime (4.4 per). They finished with 87 on 22 carries. This isn't extreme, as he's had much lower 2h's rushing wise. It's just not smart. That's all.

Zak is solid imo. I loved their adjustments to start 3rd tonight. Although, that was all they could muster in the 2h.

I'll say a slight advantage to Cincy coach. Fair enough?

Sounds about right on the weather. There is a system coming our way Thurs, so that will pass BUF well before hand.

I wrote in another thread that I bet the Cincy TT the night Hamlin got hurt, was 29 I think. Think Cincy would have scored 40+ that night. I was looking to play vs the Buffalo defense. Wasn't sure about Miami though but jumped on their TT Over 13.5 Live early in the game once they started moving it. Now Cincy with 3 OL starters out. Not sure it will matter - have to see what number is and weather. Buffalo defense can't stop anyone.
Buffalo had trouble rushing 4 today and getting to Miami.

They better be creative next week and blitz at the right times.

Buffalo's defense actually played pretty well today other than allowing a 4th & 8 conversion & a 3rd & 19 where they forgot they were supposed to cover Hill. Miami only 4 of 16 on 3rd down. Allen gave them 10-13 points. Saying they played well with Skylar Thompson at QB is kind of a back-handed compliment though.

That was the opener at DK at least. I was watching live when it posted. Not sure what the Vegas books opened at, or if DK follows their lead.
That's wild.

I know someone posted DK at 5.5 so it was already on the move.

First I saw was 4. Then that went to 3.5.

I think 3.5 and 4 are perfect numbers to get even action.

6 was ripe for picking.

Buffalo's defense actually played pretty well today other than allowing a 4th & 8 conversion & a 3rd & 19 where they forgot they were supposed to cover Hill. Miami only 4 of 16 on 3rd down. Allen gave them 10-13 points. Saying they played well with Skylar Thompson at QB is kind of a back-handed compliment though.
Yeah, only one true long drive.

Sometimes you gotta step back and look again.

Whoever's OL can at least hold up & limit damage from the respective pass rushes is the team that likely wins. Cincinatti would also be helped if Higgins comes out of his funk. He hasn't looked right since the Hamlin hit.

That's wild.

I know someone posted DK at 5.5 so it was already on the move.

First I saw was 4. Then that went to 3.5.

I think 3.5 and 4 are perfect numbers to get even action.

6 was ripe for picking.
Yeah, it moved rapidly. The opener got bet down to 3.5 in less than 5 minutes. Looks like it's stabilized at 4 now.

Yeah, only one true long drive.

Sometimes you gotta step back and look again.
looks like it will be 23. Will have to check weather obviously. Buffalo defense stinks IMO but all the OL out for Cincy and now being on the road will give me pause. I honestly don't think Cincy was going to punt in the previous Hamlin MNF game. But things have changed in just a few weeks. Probably will still be a 2u (5u is max) bet if stays under 24 and weather is good. Buffalo D isn't Baltimore. When I bet a TT I also need the other team to score and obviously Buffalo will score.

I don't think Buffalo's D is elite, but they definitely don't stink. Ranked 2nd in points allowed, 5th in DVOA, I believe & 6th in yards allowed & 3rd down conversion rate.
Tied for 4th in takeaways too.

I don't think Buffalo's D is elite, but they definitely don't stink. Ranked 2nd in points allowed, 5th in DVOA, I believe & 6th in yards allowed & 3rd down conversion rate.
Exactly. Gotta watch out for recency bias and scoreboard-capping.

Curious the breakdown pre and post Von.

Back