Wildcard Round: What Are We Learning

Not sure about that, but I did hear or read somewhere that their QB pressure rate has actually been higher without him. Maybe they're blitzing more?

Not sure about that, but I did hear or read somewhere that their QB pressure rate has actually been higher without him. Maybe they're blitzing more?
Could be?

They were pretty effective (in my eyes) when blitzing today.

I trust u guys on the stats since i dont cap. I go by my eyes. On the Hamlin game they had 7 and were marching in for more at buffalo 45 when Hamlin went down with 5 minutes to go in 1q. I dont think buffalo would have stopped them all game. Today Miami's tt was 13.5. Granted Allen helped but its not like buffalo stopped em 3 and out after the TOs. And Thompson is not good.

Its too bad cincy is down 3 OL starters. Has to give anyone pause. Still think cincy will go over 23 if weather good. We'll see. Ill put 2u on it. Think KC in neutral dome will light them up.

Stats probably better than my eyes but they'll have to beat me with the Under vs Burrow to get me off this angle.

I trust u guys on the stats since i dont cap. I go by my eyes. On the Hamlin game they had 7 and were marching in for more at buffalo 45 when Hamlin went down with 5 minutes to go in 1q. I dont think buffalo would have stopped them all game. Today Miami's tt was 13.5. Granted Allen helped but its not like buffalo stopped em 3 and out after the TOs. And Thompson is not good.

Its too bad cincy is down 3 OL starters. Has to give anyone pause. Still think cincy will go over 23 if weather good. We'll see. Ill put 2u on it. Think KC in neutral dome will light them up.

Stats probably better than my eyes but they'll have to beat me with the Under vs Burrow to get me off this angle.
100% agree with you on the MNF game.

Cincy came into the game with lots of momentum.

They were cooking early in that game. I bet em live at 7-3. Liked them in a 41-31 kinda game.

Just a quick comment on a game other than the Bills/Dolphins. What were the Ravens thinking only giving Dobbins 13 carries & none inside the 5? He was running really well, but he split carries 50/50 with Edwards.

Miami had 231 total yards…Bill D can‘t help it if Josh Allen wants to be a turnover machine

True, the Allen turnovers have been happening all season. Needs to stop for them to beat Cincy or KC. And they had more than 231 yds. Here is ST’s stat line alone. Gotta figure Joe Cool will be much better than 18/45 with 2 int

Player C/ATT YDS TD INT
S. Thompson 18/45 220 1 2

Whoever's OL can at least hold up & limit damage from the respective pass rushes is the team that likely wins. Cincinatti would also be helped if Higgins comes out of his funk. He hasn't looked right since the Hamlin hit.

I thought Tee looked pretty good last night

Agree and said in another thread the Chargers should do whatever it takes to get Payton. Not having Williams killed them in Red Zone and 2H - they likely score in 40's with him vs kick/try FGs. They are wasting Herbert and the prime years of some guys around him with Staley - Allen, Bosa and Mack all getting up there. As a former SD fan, I hope they keep Staley and keep coming up short. With KC/Mahomes, Buff/Allen, Cincy/Burrow they need a great coach to break through that. Think Payton would be it.
Not a fan of saying zero chance but it's fractional to that. Spanos family spending what it would take to land that coach would be a literal stop the presses moment.

Worst part is he allegedly really wants to be there

file:///var/mobile/Library/SMS/Attachments/64/04/A66869C6-1EA7-4598-A462-A82E90EDCF96/IMG_9171.jpg

I was down on Sean last year. I don't think he's a bad coach but some of his decisions are interesting to me. Most notably, is going away from the run in 2h's. The RBs had around 60 today at halftime (4.4 per). They finished with 87 on 22 carries. This isn't extreme, as he's had much lower 2h's rushing wise. It's just not smart. That's all.

McDermott is awful (like awful, awful) on the "common sense" decisions that we constantly harp on so many other coaches for. His time management is no bueno whatsoever, he often challenges plays where it doesn't make sense to do so, and he's almost the same level of incompetent on 4th down/punt situations. He's definitely gotten better with the 4th down stuff, but that seems to be just an obvious thing now to the vast majority of coaches AND he has Allen who's a huge weapon on 4th down and shorts.

Sean McDermott is the white Mike Tomlin. They are great people, great motivators of men and can really get guys to play for them...but not so good when it comes to the decision making on the stuff that really can impact a game as mentioned above. There is NOTHING wrong with that if you can understand the limitations and either hire someone to make those decisions for you, or delegate them to the OC/QBs coach.

I don't think Buffalo's D is elite, but they definitely don't stink. Ranked 2nd in points allowed, 5th in DVOA, I believe & 6th in yards allowed & 3rd down conversion rate.
Tied for 4th in takeaways too.

Sounds like those stats would make them elite. Outside of SF they are the best defense in the league and it's been them two for a couple of years now.

Doesn't mean CIN can't dominate them, just saying 2nd, 5th, 6th, and 4th in four major defensive categories would seemingly make that team an elite defense.

You think these Divisional matchups next week are weak?

Interesting.
Jags at KC isn’t compelling to me. 9ers game vs Bucs or Cowboys will be a blowout. NFC east has a game that will juice up the east coast but not feeling a Giants win over the Vikings suddenly makes this a must watch. Only Cincy vs Bills is compelling.
My thoughts are we need to get to SF at Philly and Cincy or Bills @ KC.

McDermott is awful (like awful, awful) on the "common sense" decisions that we constantly harp on so many other coaches for. His time management is no bueno whatsoever, he often challenges plays where it doesn't make sense to do so, and he's almost the same level of incompetent on 4th down/punt situations. He's definitely gotten better with the 4th down stuff, but that seems to be just an obvious thing now to the vast majority of coaches AND he has Allen who's a huge weapon on 4th down and shorts.

Sean McDermott is the white Mike Tomlin. They are great people, great motivators of men and can really get guys to play for them...but not so good when it comes to the decision making on the stuff that really can impact a game as mentioned above. There is NOTHING wrong with that if you can understand the limitations and either hire someone to make those decisions for you, or delegate them to the OC/QBs coach.
McDermott has not shown he can coach situational football to better his teams chances of winning. He lengthens games with leads constantly.

The worst Wildcard and Divisional matchups I can recall. Reminding me of the lesser Bowl games including teams with 6-6 records.

I'm not sure how one can say this and at the same time be clamoring for a 12 team (or more) NCAA playoff format. If you think these games were somehow "bad," even on paper, why in the world would you want to see the same thing with college players who aren't as good overall? It's also almost guaranteed to look like this or worse every year in college (with a 12 team format), again based on talent discrepancy and just overall talent level.

I'm not sure how one can say this and at the same time be clamoring for a 12 team (or more) NCAA playoff format. If you think these games were somehow "bad," even on paper, why in the world would you want to see the same thing with college players who aren't as good overall? It's also almost guaranteed to look like this or worse every year in college, again based on talent discrepancy and just overall talent level.
One has zero to do with the other. Apples and Oranges cuz.

One has zero to do with the other. Apples and Oranges cuz.

Of course they do. What you just said these WC/Div rounds remind you of (which I feel like you're on an island to begin with, the games were great this weekend) is what you're more likely to get in college every year with a 12 team playoff.

Sounds like those stats would make them elite. Outside of SF they are the best defense in the league and it's been them two for a couple of years now.

Doesn't mean CIN can't dominate them, just saying 2nd, 5th, 6th, and 4th in four major defensive categories would seemingly make that team an elite defense.
I was responding to a forum member who said the Bills defense stunk & put those stats out to push back on that idea. When I say I don't believe they're elite, I guess I'm referring to them more in a historical perspective (85 Bears, 2000 Ravens, mid-70's Steel Curtain ect.) than I am this particular season.

I was responding to a forum member who said the Bills Defense stunk & put those stats out to push back on that idea. When I say I don't believe they're elite, I guess I'm referring to them more in a historical perspective (85 Bears, 2000 Ravens, mid-70's Steel Curtain ect.) than I am this particular season.

Makes sense...and yes in that context I would absolutely agree. They aren't a historically elite, or even great defense by any stretch.

Makes sense...and yes in that context I would absolutely agree. They aren't a historically elite, or even great defense by any stretch.
I will say I believe they would have been significantly more imposing if nor for the glut of injuries they had on D this year. I realize every team has injuries, but they were hit particularly hard on defense. On the other hand, the offense went relatively unscathed outside of Crowder.

I will say I believe they would have been significantly more imposing if nor for the glut of injuries they had on D this year. I realize every team has injuries, but they were hit particularly hard on defense. On the other hand, the offense went relatively unscathed outside of Crowder.

Missing 3 pro bowlers (whatever that's worth but still, top guys) Hyde, Poyer and Tre White for either all, or most of the season this year. That's BOTH safeties and then top 5 corner in league before his ACL injury. Von then went down and he's gone. Dane Jackson had that scare early on and was out. Then the normal just every guy is out for a game or 3 here and there, but like you said all teams deal with that for the most part.

You're right about the offense too, pretty unscathed all year.

Back