Week One...What have we learned so far?

B.A.R.

CTG Partner
Staff member
The tail of JoeP's weekly NFL thread...no reason to wait...what did everyone learn from Thursdays action?

no one really impressed tbh..ole miss offense, i did say that and will continue saying that

So far, so good. Was discussing off-site with the above poster and think getting some insight on the little shit games can obviously be very helpful moving forward.

Utah State won't miss a beat even with the coaching changeover. Thought they should have won.

I will be interested to see what South Carolina's QBs can do when they face a team with a pass rush and who can cover somebody.

Matt Schilz and Cody Green need to sit their asses on the bench for the rest of the season. Let the young ones play.

no one really impressed tbh..ole miss offense, i did say that and will continue saying that

TBH I'm quite concerned ... We shouldn't have Juan that game (I love Juan joke after another)

if we lay points on the road ... Yikes

Defense didn't show what I was expecting ... I.m interested in watching Texas, but anything around a TS spread ... I think Tejas rolls

Tulsa is bad. Granted they faced a fairly tough BGSU D but most of their mistakes were self-imposed. Need a new kicker also, damn he's awful. Surprised he made the PAT.

They have a young D but lots of the big mistakes I saw came from their "high powered offense".

Minny QB Philip Nelson can beat you with his legs, and is kinda fast in doing it (12-83y-6.9ypc-2TD).

UNLV still finds ways to play well enough to keep game close and competitive for bit (and even looking good at times vs Min), but then gets blownout in the end. In the now 23 game road losing streak, only one of those losses has been by single digits.

Tulsa and Bowling Green are both noted for strong defenses in 2012, but Thursday's game has little to do with good defense and more with poor offense, especially dreadful QB play. In the 1st half, Tulsa did miss a FG and fumbled inside the BG 5 yard line, but the 6-0 BG halftime score accurately reflected how inefficient both Os were. BG got it going in the 2nd half just a bit and Tulsa QB Cody Green was eventually benched in the 4th.

Indiana RB Tevin Coleman busted out last night (started the game 14 att - 169y 2 TD) and appears to be an upgrade to former starting RB Stephen Houston (now coming off the bench). Indiana has LOTS of weapons on offense! IU downed the ball 4x after having 1st down at the Indiana St 5 with 2:30 left.

USC is in big trouble this year, Kiffin will be gone.

Kent State's offense struggled, racked up alot of penalties and Dri Archer got hurt on the first series of the game and did not return, but Colin Reardon got his first start at QB and played quite well (21-28-194y-2TD, 10att-38y rushing).

Told the wife that missed PAT better not F me on USU
Could have pushed. Same story, different season.
Thought USU played well enough to win

Taylor Graham can block a little bit:

hawaiiUSC_medium.gif

The NC coaching cost me money with 1st and goal at the 2 with 3 passing plays and a run on 4th that all failed. They could have ran 4 times and got in.

Rebel defense is young...will make adjustments and their cover was near miraculous...as was the Utes cover..what a first night of games...geez

USC just seems soft.

OP/Vandy was one of the better opening thursday games I remember. So lucky to get my cover there.

USCe was just bigger, faster, stronger than UNC.....obviously.

I am so happy it has begun.

usc sucks..like sucks

I wouldn't put too much weight into last night's game...most teams suck/struggle when traveling to the islands, especially immature teams that are not well-coached. The travel, lack of concentration with the surroundings, etc. Plus, a lot of teams suck/struggle first game of the season.

TBH I'm quite concerned ... We shouldn't have Juan that game (I love Juan joke after another)

if we lay points on the road ... Yikes

Defense didn't show what I was expecting ... I.m interested in watching Texas, but anything around a TS spread ... I think Tejas rolls

Is this Eli?

Clowney took more plays off than Randy Moss. Important plays too. I was very surprised to see a top name player in the opening game so clearly out of game shape. Just strange.

The old adage is still true. If you have two QBs it really means that you don't even have one. Kessler was horrible and Whittek was not any better. If I didn't see the USC game with my own eyes I would not believe the box score. USC literally should have won that game by 10 TDs. What a fucking moose that was for USC backers.

Tulsa is bad. Granted they faced a fairly tough BGSU D but most of their mistakes were self-imposed. Need a new kicker also, damn he's awful. Surprised he made the PAT.

They have a young D but lots of the big mistakes I saw came from their "high powered offense".

I think the game might have been different if Tulsa didn't shoot themselves in the foot, in the RZ. IF they make those 2 FG's and don't lose the fumble, they might have built some momentum. They had to be deflated going into the half.

I definitely agree with the disappointing offensive mistakes. I thought their defense played fairly well, until the wheels seemed to fall off.

I learned Tulsa was the sucker special :( and that even BGSU knew Schilz stinks. Taking him out & putting in Johnson doomed me lol

Clowney took more plays off than Randy Moss. Important plays too. I was very surprised to see a top name player in the opening game so clearly out of game shape. Just strange.

The old adage is still true. If you have two QBs it really means that you don't even have one. Kessler was horrible and Whittek was not any better. If I didn't see the USC game with my own eyes I would not believe the box score. USC literally should have won that game by 10 TDs. What a fucking moose that was for USC backers.

This and what kind of genius DC has no safety help over the top, with less than a minute left in the game? Any idiot would know to keep everything in front of you and give them the middle of the field.

I guess I shouldn't think like a degenerate and think like a coach who had the game won and didn't give a shit if his team gave up a backdoor moose TD with under a minute left in the game. But, I hope his degenerate fan base is pissed at him.

Back