Week of July 1--Best CFB Stories on the Web

RJ Esq

Prick Since 1974
ESPN’s Bruce Feldman’s Best quotes in college football June 30, 2007

Posted by Jai Eugene in BCS B-List, Big East Football, ESPN, BCS, SEC Football. trackback
Does anyone else think that Bruce Feldman looks like subject off of Cops or the Smoking Gun?
feldman_bruce_m.jpg

I can think of a few other quotes that are not listed. Here are some that are from the SEC or directly related to the SEC, which is clearly superior.
  • The Winslow “I’m a fucking soldier”;
  • Spurrier’s “can’t spell Citrus without UT;
  • Bowden’s “can’t spell Fluffer without UF”;
  • Pat Dye’s “I don’t believe Georgia’s man enough to beat Alabama”;
  • Herban Meyer as he campaigned for the mighty Gators appearance in the BCC NC “You can’t have two number 1’s, that would be 11″;
  • Gator Great Marcus Thomas after being told he was suspended the first time “Woah, I better lay off the peyote!”
  • Announcer Gary Danielson on the Big East “Is this college football’s version of Arena Football? These guys need to grow some hair on their peaches.”
  • and finally my favorite from the ESPN Gameday Crew explaining why they love the Big East’s Funny Gravy,”Now, due to a binding endorsement contract that stipulates that we mention the Big East Conference at each opening/closing segment, we just like to say that Big East plays on Tuesday/ Wednesday/and Thursdays, on ESPN2, and we’re all looking forward to Louisville/Papa Johns get a large pizza with 3 toppings for 10.99 Thursday Night Specials.”
1. “Sam Cunningham did more to integrate Alabama in 60 minutes than Martin Luther King did in 20 years.”
This hefty quote is about Cunningham, the former USC standout after he ran over a powerhouse all-white Alabama team for 135 yards and two touchdowns in 1970. (The Tide program wasn’t actually all-white at the time since future San Francisco 49er Wilbur Jackson, already had enrolled at Alabama, but back then, freshmen couldn’t play.) Over the years, that MLK line has been attributed to three different men: USC head coach John McKay, Bama head man Bear Bryant and Tide assistant Jerry Claiborne. Most believe it was Claiborne who said it first. The story behind that momentous USC game at Alabama is also being made into a movie.

2. “It’s not the size of the dog in the fight, but the size of the fight in the dog.”
Who knows where this one first originated, although Ohio State Buckeye legend Archie Griffin, the lone two-time Heisman winner is one of those who gets credit quite a few times in document searches. It’s very fitting too since Griffin was certainly not the biggest or fastest back around; only he was the most productive thanks to his grit and toughness.

3. “Football isn’t a contact sport, it’s a collision sport. Dancing is a contact sport.”
Former Michigan State coach Duffy Daugherty tends to get overshadowed by the great careers of Woody Hayes and Bo Schembechler, but the one-time Time magazine coverman was quite the leader in his own right. Daugherty led MSU to the UPI national title in 1965, but is actually probably better known for his one-liner: “A tie is like kissing your sister.” And he should know since his team was tied by Notre Dame in the 1966 “Game of the Century.” I’m also a fan of this other Daugherty quote: “I could have been a Rhodes Scholar, except for my grades.”

4. “They say I’ve shown courage on the football field, but for me it’s only on the field, and only in the fall. Joey lives with pain all the time. His courage is ’round the clock.”
It’s doubtful any Heisman Trophy acceptance speech will ever be more dramatic than the one Penn State RB John Cappelletti delivered in 1973 while honoring his 11-year-old kid brother Joey, who was back home in Upper Darby, Pa. battling leukemia. As the story goes, Cappelletti had only prepared some notes for his speech earlier in the day and simply wrote “Joey” at the bottom. (Joey kept the Heisman in his bedroom until he died in 1976.) The Cappellettis’ story was turned into a movie called Something for Joey.

5. “He treats us like men. He lets us wear earrings.”
The chaotic John Jenkins Era in college football at Houston was like a cross between the ABA and the XFL, and perhaps former University of Houston WR Torrin Polk summed up the program best in 1991 with this colorful comment.

6. “Dance with the one who brung ya.”
Never has a coach summed up the spirit about not forgetting your identity in a more clever fashion. It was one of dozens of great one liners from perhaps the most quoted man in college football history. Among the great “Royalisms” from legendary Texas coach Darrell Royal: “You just scratch where it itches,” “He’s as quick as a hiccup,” and “We’re as average as every day’s wash.”

7. “You’ve got a payroll to meet.”
Sherwood Blount isn’t famous among college fans, but the old millionaire SMU booster was quoted with the infamous line from a 1985 meeting telling his colleagues that the Mustangs gravy train, despite NCAA sanctions was far from through and that players on the Southern Methodist roster still were owed money. A year later, after there was more trouble, the NCAA came down hard on SMU and gave the Mustangs the death penalty. Blount’s line became the title for David Whitford’s 1989 book on the scandal, “A Payroll to Meet: A Story of Greed, Corruption and Football at SMU.”

8. “Show me a good and gracious loser and I’ll show you a failure.”
One of many Knute Rockne gems, it is one of those clichés that probably sits on some wood carved-tablet on about 500,000 high school coaches’ desks around the country. For that reason I think it tops the famed “Win one for the Gipper speech.”

9. “The only bowl Rutgers is going to is the one I just got off of.”
Former Boston College star QB Glenn Foley, a Cherry Hill, NJ native kicked his home-state school hard after beating the Scarlet Knights 37-20 in 1992. Speaking of the Scarlet Knights, props to RU head coach Greg Schiano for uttering this quip that surely would be a hit at the AFCA meetings: “There are two things every man in America thinks he can do: work a grill and coach football.”

10. “Take this, Pepe!”
Texas Tech head coach Mike Leach said as he recounted his childhood tale about urinating on a neighborhood dog that seemed fond of tormenting Leach, then 10. After Pepe the Golden Lab had peed all over Leach’s tent, the future coach lured the dog with scraps and then snatched his collar and, as Leach is proud to say: “I just fired away,” Leach remembered a few years back. “Pepe didn’t touch my glove or my tent again. Although I’m not sure what that says about animal behavior. Or mine.”

No more rumor: QB Craft exits to join dad

SDSU loses valuable backup to Mt. SAC

By Mick McGrane
UNION-TRIBUNE STAFF WRITER

June 30, 2007

Last season, sophomore quarterback Kevin Craft routinely shrugged off any suggestion that his father's firing would affect his play. Yesterday, Craft officially shrugged off San Diego State.

Craft, whose father, Tom Craft, was dismissed as head coach of the Aztecs after the 2005 season, told SDSU coach Chuck Long he is leaving the program to transfer to Mt. San Antonio College in Walnut. Tom Craft was hired as the offensive coordinator at Mt. SAC last month.

“As with any business, blood is always thicker than water,” Long said. “Obviously, if he wants to play for his father, that's a pretty tough thing to fight.”

Neither Kevin Craft nor Tom Craft has returned phone calls placed through the media relations departments at SDSU and Mt. SAC, respectively.
Forced into the lineup last year when starter Kevin O'Connell and backup Darren Mougey were sidelined by injuries, Craft started five games, completing 69-of-121 passes for 737 yards and four touchdowns with six interceptions. He was the starter in two of the team's three wins.
His departure affects SDSU on two fronts, the initial one being the continuing transition of Mougey to wide receiver. Mougey, who has served as O'Connell's backup the past two seasons, took nary a snap during spring drills while being used as a receiver, tight end and H-back.

Secondly, the only other quarterbacks on the roster – redshirt freshmen Kelsey Sokoloski and Josh O'Brien – have never played at the collegiate level.

Long said the team might pursue another quarterback, but he's encouraged with the progress made by the Aztecs' younger QBs.

“One guy is never going to be more important than the team,” Long said of Kevin Craft's exit. “Our young guys are beginning to prove themselves and they'll have every opportunity to move forward.”

Long said he doesn't anticipate the loss of Craft interrupting the team's plans to continue developing Mougey as a receiver.

“I don't think he has to give up anything,” Long said of Mougey. “I always tell our guys that the more you can do the better off we're going to be and you're going to be. Darren is welcoming the challenge (of playing both receiver and quarterback), and we believe he can.”

O'Connell, who has started 21 of SDSU's last 36 games, was named the starter coming out of spring drills in April, completing 27-of-44 passes for 291 yards with four touchdowns and an interception in the team's three scrimmages.

Craft finished the spring scrimmages 19-of-31 for 206 yards with an interception.

“I know with his dad having played and coached at San Diego State that it made Kevin's decision that much harder,” O'Connell said. “I think he deserves a lot of credit for dealing as well as he did with the situation he was in. Obviously, he was competing for the (starting) job, but he was also going through a lot of things with his dad losing his job and having to play for a new coach.

“I guess the biggest question involved now is how we make up for all the (snaps) Kevin took during the spring and the experience he got last year. Even though I was named the starter coming out of the spring, we were looking forward to having him here as a leader and being ready to step in and do the job.

“That old saying of someone being one snap away (from coming into the game for an injured player) has kind of been an understatement at San Diego State the last couple of years. The idea of having a backup who can come into a game and not miss a beat is a big deal for any team. But at the same time, you're going to start to see some of the quality of the youth we have in this program at the quarterback position.”

Long said he's eager to get an extended look at incoming freshman quarterback Ryan Lindley when the team opens fall camp Aug. 9. The former El Capitan High standout was rated the 35th-best high school quarterback in the nation by rivals.com before signing with the Aztecs.

“There are true freshmen who have played before,” Long said. “To me, it doesn't matter if they're freshmen. If they can pick up the system quickly enough and not get you beat, we'll get them on the field.”

Bulldogs player accused of felony
Linebacker Brown faces probe in vehicle vandalism.

By Daniel Lyght / The Fresno Bee
<!--/STORYHEADLINE--><!--STORYBODY-->06/29/07 05:04:20
<!-- START /pubsys/assets/common/related_content.comp --><!-- no related content to display --><!-- no related content to display --><!-- no gallery to display --><!-- no PDFs to display --><!-- no related content to display -->
<!-- no poll to display --><!-- no related content to display --><!-- no related content to display -->
<!-- END /pubsys/assets/common/related_content.comp -->Fresno State football player Quaadir Brown was arrested early Thursday morning on suspicion of felony vandalism.
Brown, a linebacker, was released later in the day, Fresno State said in a news release.

Fresno police spokesman Jeff Cardinale said the department's report would be available today at the earliest, but he did provide some details.

According to police, Brown entered an ex-girlfriend's northeast Fresno apartment about 3 a.m. and fell asleep while awaiting her return. When she got home about 5 a.m., she asked him to leave. Brown left the apartment and sat outside for a short time before kicking dents into the passenger-side doors of the ex-girlfriend's compact, four-door vehicle, police said. One of the kicks, police said, shattered the front passenger-side window.

At that time, about 5:30 a.m., police were called, Cardinale said. When police arrived, Brown was seated on a nearby curb with his head in his hands.

The witnesses to the event -- the ex-girlfriend, her roommate and Brown -- said Brown did not physically harm or threaten her, Cardinale said.
Brown admitted to kicking the car, Cardinale said.

At 6 feet, 210 pounds, the mobile redshirt sophomore was projected to start this fall after battling injuries last season. Brown, from Lake Elsinore, played in all 13 games for the Bulldogs in 2005, recording 16 tackles, three tackles-for-a-loss and two sacks.

Fresno State spokesman Ryan Reggiani said Bulldogs football coach Pat Hill would not have any comment.

According to police, the felony was alleged because the damage was estimated to be more than $400. Anything $399 and lower would have been deemed a misdemeanor. More charges could result as the investigation continues, Cardinale said.

"One thing we need to figure out," Cardinale said, "is did he lawfully enter the apartment?"
Cardinale said the investigation probably would be finished by early next week.

Arkansas DE Sanders arrested on misdemeanors

Associated Press

<!-- promo plug -->
<!-- end promo plug -->

<!-- end story header --><!-- begin left column --><!-- begin page tools -->Updated: July 1, 2007, 12:56 AM ET

<!-- end page tools --><!-- begin story body -->FAYETTEVILLE, Ark. -- Arkansas defensive end Donnell Sanders was arrested early Saturday on misdemeanor charges of public intoxication, disorderly conduct and third-degree assault.

Sanders, 19, was booked at 4:04 a.m. by the Washington County Sheriff's Office. He was released about two hours later after posting bond.

According to a preliminary police report, Sanders was seen leaning out of a car on Dickson Street and yelling at pedestrians. He then approached a man and shoved him down, the report said. The man was not injured.
According to the report, Sanders said he pushed the man because the man had "been in his space." The report said police detected the smell of alcohol from Sanders.

Sanders redshirted the 2006 season.

Football Defections

July 01 2007 10:52 PM -- Filed in: Football
The month of July tends to be the quietest month for college football coaches. They are able to get some time off, take a vacation and basically reinvigorate themselves for the upcoming season. Players, on the other hand, continually work through the summer to reach new levels and impress the staff. But, not everything is peaches and cream in college football.

With a roster of 85 players and 20 or so walk-ons, not everyone is going to be happy with their playing time. Or, on the flipside, the coaches aren't always thrilled with the players and some are politely asked to leave. To that end, the Ohio State football team has seen four players leave in the last month. Gone are:
  • DT Juan Garnier
  • CB Brandon Underwood
  • DE Walter Dublin
  • DE Ryan Williams
The reasons behind the moves are varied. Garnier, a recent subject of CBSsportsline's Dennis Dodd, was a talented walk-on looking for a scholarship. It never came. Underwood follows his brothers footsteps in leaving the program. The official reason for Dublin is homesickness but I have heard from more than a few people it's a little more involved than that. Ryan Williams simply never fully recovered from a devastating ACL injury. He will attempt a comeback closer to his hometown.

As you've probably noted, three of the four are defensive linemen which further depletes our already thin group. Underwood may have figured into some nickel situations for the upcoming season.

MEYER SUSPENDS WILSON FOR SEASON

Urban Meyer finds suspensions very harsh, usually. That’s what we’re fond of typing, anyway, since there’s been nary a peep out of Herr Meyer since the Ronnie Wilson AK-47 firing incident in downtown Gainesville, or since Brandon James was implicated in a reverse sting operation involving the purchase of weed from a Gainesville police officer and participated in an <ABBR title="Fightin' 'n Da Club">FnDC</ABBR> incident earlier this year, bringing drama and bustin’ snitches like Terry Tate on a rampage through the cubicles.
</EMBED>
Meyer has finally addressed both, according to Pat Dooley of the Gainesville Sun. (HT: The Sporting Orange.) Wilson will receive a year’s suspension from the program, missing the 2007 season entirely, a firm but not final punishment made possible by the reduction of the charge in the case to a misdemeanor. (Viva la Liberal Gun Laws in Florida!) This suspension does not preclude the possibility of Wilson rejoining the team, the little extra wrinkle typical of most of Meyer’s disciplinary decisions: there’s almost always a chance for redemption or sliding, depending on your interpretation of things.

(He discharged an AK-47 in downtown Gainesville like he was at an Iraqi wedding. We lean toward “sliding.”)

James’ punishment seems closer to appropriate: the obligatory one game suspension against the mighty Hilltoppers of Western Kentucky is expected, but James may lose his scholarship for the semester, a nasty piece of discipline as any former student who’s considered donating plasma for money can attest. (Advantages: post aphoresis, you can get positively housed off one beer.)

Meyer refused to comment, but we’re guessing if he were to respond, he’d suggest the punishments were “harsh.” They are also a start in the right direction. [/Economist snappy ending sentence voice.]

UF's Wilson, James suspended for 2007 season

<!--/* Byline exists -->

By PAT DOOLEY
Sun sports writer

bilde
Florida's Brandon James returns a 49-yard punt in the first quarter against Western Carolina University in Gainesville Saturday, November 18, 2006.
DOUG FINGER/The Gainesville Sun

Florida offensive lineman Ronnie Wilson has been suspended for the 2007 season and running back Brandon James is suspended for Florida's opener because of separate off-the-field incidents, The Sun has learned.

James is also facing the possible loss of his scholarship for the fall semester as part of the punishment dealt by UF football coach Urban Meyer, according to sources.

Meyer did not want to comment on any disciplinary actions involving his team.

Wilson is facing misdemeanor charges after allegedly taking a rifle from his trunk and firing it in the air to intimidate a man during a disagreement.

According to a Gainesville police report, Wilson spit on and slapped Francis Fuller during a scuffle at XS nightclub early on the morning of April 5. Fuller then waited for Wilson to leave the club. According to the report, Fuller drove behind Wilson and called 911 to report the incident in the club. After Wilson realized he was being followed, he turned into a parking lot, stopped his car, got out and pulled an AK-47 from the trunk. He then fired a shot into the air, according to the report.

He is facing one count of battery and one count of discharging a firearm in public. Wilson withdrew from school after the spring semester.

Wilson has an arraignment scheduled for July 3 and a pre-trial conference scheduled for Aug. 13.

James was arrested along with Florida basketball player Brandon Powell for buying less than 20 grams of marijuana during a reverse sting by law enforcement.

James played a key role on Florida's 2006 national championship team as the Gators' top punt (11 yards an attempt) and kickoff (18 yards an attempt) returner. Wilson competed for a starting job last preseason before an ankle injury cost him half of his season.

Five Reasons Why Notre Dame Will Not Play in a BCS Game in 2008

by Brian Sakowski @ 6:41 am. Filed under Analysis, Commentary, Independent, Non-BCS Conference
<!-- meta -->The Fighting Irish has gone to BCS bowl games in each of the past two seasons. Some experts say they shouldn’t have gone to either game because they did not deserve it. Well I am here to tell everyone 5 reasons why Notre Dame will not play in a BCS game in 2007-08.
5. No more Brady Quinn. There is only one certainty when it comes to the Notre Dame quarterback situation, Zach Frazer will not be it. Frazer has transferred to UConn after learning that he was no longer in the running for the Irish quarterback job. The remaining three people left are junior Evan Sharpley, sophomores Demetrius Jones and true freshman Jimmy Clausen. Of the three, only Sharpley has seen any real action. Many thought that Clausen would have the job when he left High School early to enroll, but elbow troubles have hampered his attempt. The Domers have an early tough schedule and whoever gets the starting nod is going to have to grow up quick behind an offensive line that will have to replace two starters.
4. Not only do the Irish have to replace their top passer, they have to replace their top two leading receivers (McKnight & Samardzija) and their top rusher (Walker). Charlie Weis has done an excellent job recruiting since he has come to Notre Dame, but it is going to take a miracle from Touchdown Jesus for the Irish to be able to drum up the offensive power they had last year. Junior David Grimes should be the #1 receiver with sophomore George West and junior D.J. Hord providing depth. Freshmen Duval Kamara and Golden Tate will fight for playing time too. The Irish might have to rely on their defense until their offense gets going.
3. Speaking of defense, that has been the achilles heel of the Irish for the Charlie Weis era. Corwin Brown will take over as defensive coordinator and will switch to the 3-4. That all sounds well and good, but do they have the personnel to pull it off yet. Until they get some speed at cornerback and safety, the Irish are going to be prone against the pass. And that is exactly how they have been getting burnt the past two seasons. Tom Zbikowski was burnt toast against LSU, rumor has it that he got faster. Only time will tell for the safety.
2. I realize that the biggest reason the Irish have been getting the breaks to go to BCS games is their fan base and how well they travel, but their bowl performance has to come into play. Their last bowl win, Jan 1, 1994 against Texas A&M. They have lost their past 3 BCS bowl appearances against Oregon State, Ohio State, and LSU by a combined score of 116-43. Not exactly good games by any measure. Money talks as we all know, but I think this year if Notre Dame is borderline, the BCS will pass.
1. Once again Notre Dame plays a tough schedule. For them to make the BCS one would have to figure that they have to win 9 of their 12 games. With road games at Penn State, Michigan, Purdue, and UCLA; and home games against Georgia Tech, USC, and Boston College, the Irish are going to be hard pressed to win 9 games. It is not much of a stretch to say that the Irish could start off the year 1-3, but 2-2 is more plausible.

Les Miles Is Talking All Kinds of Smack

Louisiana State coach Les Miles, whose team is a popular pick to play in this season's BCS title game opposite USC, is calling into question the strength of the Pacific 10 Conference, suggesting the Trojans should be a cinch to make it to the Jan. 7 game in New Orleans because of a suspect league schedule.

"I can tell you this, that they have a much easier road to travel," Miles said. "They’re going to play real knockdown drag-outs with UCLA and Washington, Cal-Berkeley, Stanford — some real juggernauts — and they’re going to end up, it would be my guess, in some position so if they win a game or two, that they’ll end up in the title [game].

"I would like that path for us. I think the SEC provides much stiffer competition."

Miles was just getting started.

"I can tell you that I would like nothing better than to play USC for the title," he said.

Miles made the comments during an interview last week on New Orleans radio station WWL. The comments were reported by Carl DuBois of the Baton Rouge Advocate.

Miles didn't limit his smack to the Pac-10 and USC. He also took this shot at the Big 12:

"The Big 12 is a conference that might have two really pretty good teams, maybe four. I think the Pac-10 may have one or two really good ones. The ACC certainly, arguably, has some quality teams.

"I don't think there's any conference out there that has as many quality teams as ours."

Miles, who played and coached at Michigan and is voter in the USA Today poll, also said he voted Florida over Michigan last season after the Gators defeated Arkansas in the SEC title game, helping to put Florida in the title game over the Wolverines. He talked with several friends in Michigan afterward.

"Guys who were at my wedding, college roommates, said, 'What the heck are you doing?' You had to do what was right. I really feel like I’d stand by that vote every time."

Miles also said that if there were an eight-team playoff to decide the national champion, "There'd probably be at least four SEC teams in the top eight."

Miles, a native of Elyria, Ohio, was asked if it's a matter of upbringing to hold the position that "something must be done about USC," the most frequent Big Ten opponent in the Rose Bowl.

"Should something be done about SC?" Yeah. It might just have to be the system, first, though."

Which teams will fatten their BCS résumés against soft nonconference schedules? Which Heisman Trophy candidates will pad their statistics against the likes of Charleston Southern, Northern Colorado and Tennessee-Chattanooga? ESPN.com takes a look at the least difficult schedules in college football in 2007.
2305.gif
1. KANSAS: The Jayhawks' nonconference schedule includes more cream puffs than your favorite bakery: Central Michigan, Division I-AA Southeastern Louisiana, Toledo and Florida International (all at home). Kansas doesn't play Texas or Oklahoma in Big 12 Conference play, and the Jayhawks will face Nebraska in Lawrence, Kan., and Missouri in Kansas City.
Nonconference opponents: Central Michigan (home), Southeastern Louisiana (home), Toledo (home), Florida International (home)
Toughest game: at Texas A&M, Oct. 27
Easiest game: vs. Southeastern Louisiana, Sept. 8
62.gif
2. HAWAII: Warriors quarterback Colt Brennan won't have many problems putting up Heisman Trophy-like numbers against Hawaii's schedule. The Warriors play two nonconference games against Division I-AA teams Northern Colorado and Charleston Southern, along with a road game at UNLV and home game against Washington. The Warriors' WAC schedule includes home games against Fresno State and Boise State and road games at San Jose State and Nevada.
Nonconference opponents: Northern Colorado (home), UNLV (road), Charleston Southern (home), Washington (home)
Toughest game: vs. Boise State, Nov. 23
Easiest game: vs. Charleston Southern, Sept. 23
8.gif
3. ARKANSAS: The Razorbacks' slate is a perfect example of why SEC teams have a poor reputation when it comes to out-of-conference scheduling. The Hogs will get fat on a nonconference schedule that includes home games against Troy, North Texas, Division I-AA Tennessee-Chattanooga and Florida International. SEC road games at Alabama, Tennessee and LSU prevented this from being the country's easiest schedule.
Nonconference opponents: Troy (home), North Texas (home), Chattanooga (home), Florida International (home)
Toughest game: at LSU, Nov. 23
Easiest game: vs. Tennessee-Chattanooga, Oct. 6
84.gif
4. INDIANA: In a season in which the Hoosiers don't play Big 10 heavyweights Michigan and Ohio State, they beefed up their nonconference schedule with the likes of Division I-AA Indiana State, Western Michigan, Akron and Ball State. Indiana plays rival Purdue and Penn State at home, but travels to Iowa and Wisconsin. Thanks to the soft schedule, look for the Hoosiers to play in a bowl game for the first time since 1993.
Nonconference opponents: Indiana State (home), Western Michigan (road), Akron (home), Ball State (home)
Toughest game: at Wisconsin, Oct. 27
Easiest game: vs. Indiana State, Sept. 1
41.gif
5. CONNECTICUT: The Huskies might have put together a tougher schedule by returning to the Atlantic 10. Their nonconference schedule includes games against Division I-AA Maine and two of the worst I-A teams -- Duke and Temple. The Huskies play seven of their 12 games at home, including key Big East dates against Louisville and Syracuse.
Nonconference opponents: Duke (road), Maine (home), Temple (home), Akron (home), Virginia (road)
Toughest game: at West Virginia, Nov. 24
Easiest game: vs. Maine, Sept. 8
2426.gif
6. NAVY: The Midshipmen play only four Division I-A teams that finished with winning records last season: Rutgers, Wake Forest, Notre Dame and Northern Illinois. Five of Navy's 2007 opponents won four games or fewer last season, including Duke (0-12), Temple (1-11), North Texas (3-9), Army (3-9) and Air Force (3-8).
Toughest game: at Rutgers, Sept. 7
Easiest game: vs. Duke, Sept. 22
77.gif
7. NORTHWESTERN: The Wildcats could see a big turnaround in coach Pat Fitzgerald's second season, thanks to a not-so-daunting schedule. Nonconference games against Division I-AA Northeastern, Nevada, Duke and Eastern Michigan (at Detroit) are potential victories. Home games against Minnesota and Indiana could bring the victory total to six, making Northwestern eligible for a bowl game.
Nonconference opponents: Northeastern (home), Nevada (home), Duke (home), Eastern Michigan (neutral)
Toughest game: at Ohio State, Sept. 22
Easiest game: vs. Northeastern, Sept. 1
2641.gif
8. TEXAS TECH: Give the Red Raiders some credit for scheduling a pair of nonconference road games … at SMU and Rice. A home game against UTEP might be challenging, but a Sept. 29 game against Division I-AA Northwestern State will be a rout. Texas Tech plays home games against two of the Big 12 conference's most talented teams, Texas A&M and Oklahoma.
Nonconference opponents: SMU (road), UTEP (home), Rice (road), Northwestern State (home)
Toughest game: at Texas, Nov. 10
Easiest game: vs. Northwestern State, Sept. 29
194.gif
9. OHIO STATE: The Buckeyes won't miss Heisman Trophy winner Troy Smith and the rest of their departed stars during the nonconference schedule. Not against Division I-AA Youngstown State, Akron and Kent State, anyway. At least a Sept. 15 game at Washington will be played outside the state of Ohio. The Buckeyes play two of their most difficult Big 10 games on the road, at Penn State on Oct. 27 and at Michigan on Nov. 17.
Nonconference opponents: Youngstown State (home), Akron (home), Washington (road), Kent State (home)
Toughest game: at Michigan, Nov. 17
Easiest game: vs. Youngstown State, Sept. 1
251.gif
10. TEXAS: The Longhorns get kudos for scheduling a home game against TCU, a possible BCS sleeper. But the rest of the schedule sets up very well for coach Mack Brown. The other three nonconference games should be routs, against Arkansas State, Central Florida and Rice. The Longhorns play top Big 12 foes Nebraska and Texas Tech at home, along with the Red River Shootout against Oklahoma in Dallas.
Nonconference opponents: Arkansas State (home), TCU (home), Central Florida (road), Rice (home)
Toughest game: vs. Oklahoma (Dallas), Oct. 6
Easiest game: vs. Arkansas State, Sept. 1

Southern California might be poised to win its third national championship in five seasons. Florida State and Miami are ready to rebound, and South Carolina might be ready to break through in the SEC. But which team's schedule might preclude it from reaching those goals? ESPN.com takes a look at college football's most difficult schedules in 2007.
264.gif
1. WASHINGTON: For coach Tyrone Willingham's sake, the Huskies' administration had better have plenty of patience.
Washington plays a brutal schedule, including these five games to open the season: at Syracuse, home contests against Boise State and Ohio State, at UCLA and at home against Southern California. The Pac-10 conference slate also includes home games against Oregon on Oct. 20 and California on Nov. 17, as well as road games at Arizona State on Oct. 13 and Oregon State on Nov. 10. At least the Huskies will have some sort of a bowl game, even if they finish below .500 -- Washington finishes the season at Hawaii on Dec. 1.
Nonconference opponents: Syracuse (road), Boise State (home), Ohio State (home), Hawaii (road)
Toughest game: vs. Southern California, Sept. 29
Easiest game: at Stanford, Nov. 3
52.gif
2. FLORIDA STATE: The new-look Seminoles, with changes throughout Bobby Bowden's coaching staff, will be tested early and often. FSU opens the season with a nationally televised game at Clemson on Labor Day (8 p.m. ET, ESPN). The ninth "Bowden Bowl" is the first of four challenging ACC road games; FSU also plays at Wake Forest, Boston College and Virginia Tech. The Seminoles play only five home games -- an Oct. 20 date against Miami headlines the Doak Campbell Stadium schedule -- along with a neutral-site game against Alabama in Jacksonville, Fla., on Sept. 29. The last four games might make or break FSU's season: road games at Boston College and Virginia Tech, home against Maryland and at defending national champion Florida on Nov. 24.
Nonconference opponents: UAB (home), Colorado (road), Alabama (neutral), Florida (road)
Toughest game: at Virginia Tech, Nov. 10
Easiest game: vs. Duke, Oct. 27
2579.gif
3. SOUTH CAROLINA: If the Gamecocks truly are ready to challenge Florida, Georgia and Tennessee in the SEC East, coach Steve Spurrier's team will earn it. South Carolina's nonconference schedule leaves a little to be desired, but no one can question the difficulty of its overall schedule. The Gamecocks play four of the most talented SEC teams on the road: at Georgia, LSU, Tennessee and Arkansas. They also play home games against defending national champion Florida and archrival Clemson to finish the season.
Nonconference opponents: Louisiana-Lafayette (home), South Carolina State (home), North Carolina (road), Clemson (home)
Toughest game: at LSU, Sept. 22
Easiest game: vs. South Carolina State, Sept. 15
30.gif
4. SOUTHERN CALIFORNIA: The Trojans greatly benefited from playing most of the Pac-10 Conference's most talented teams at home last season. But the schedule flips in 2007 with USC traveling to Oregon, Cal and Arizona State. The Trojans also have a pair of marquee nonconference games: at Nebraska on Sept. 15 and at Notre Dame on Oct. 20. Southern California's most difficult stretch begins Oct. 20, when the Trojans play four of five games away from home.
Nonconference opponents: Idaho (home), Nebraska (road), Notre Dame (road)
Toughest game: at Nebraska, Sept. 15
Easiest game: vs. Stanford, Oct. 6
2390.gif
5. MIAMI: New Hurricanes coach Randy Shannon certainly won't ease into his first head coaching job. The Hurricanes open the season against Marshall, then play at Oklahoma on Sept. 8. Miami also faces a Sept. 20 home game against Texas A&M. The ACC schedule includes road games at North Carolina, Florida State, Virginia Tech and Boston College.
Nonconference opponents: Marshall (home), Oklahoma (road), Florida International (home), Texas A&M (home)
Toughest game: at Oklahoma, Sept. 8
Easiest game: vs. Duke, Sept. 29
2.gif
6. AUBURN: The Tigers don't have a true marquee nonconference opponent on the schedule, but Kansas State and South Florida might be sleeping giants.
Plus, the SEC road games are downright ridiculous, as the Tigers play at Florida on Sept. 29, at Arkansas on Oct. 13, at LSU on Oct. 20 and at Georgia on Nov. 10.
They close the season at home against Alabama in the Iron Bowl.
Nonconference opponents: Kansas State, South Florida, New Mexico State, Tennessee Tech
Toughest game: at LSU, Oct. 20
Easiest game: vs. Tennessee Tech, Nov. 3
245.gif
7. TEXAS A&M: Other than a Sept. 20 game at Miami, the Aggies' nonconference schedule shouldn't be too daunting (unless Fresno State bounces back in a big way). But the back end of the Big 12 conference schedule could be demoralizing. The Aggies play four of their last six games on the road, starting Oct. 13 at Texas Tech. Road games at Nebraska, Oklahoma and Missouri soon follow. Texas A&M closes the season at home against Texas on Nov. 23.
Nonconference opponents: Montana State (home), Fresno State (home), Miami (road), Louisiana-Monroe (home)
Toughest game: at Oklahoma, Nov. 3
Easiest game: vs. Montana State, Sept. 1
127.gif
8. MICHIGAN STATE: Along with a Sept. 22 road game at Notre Dame, the Spartans play most of their difficult Big Ten games away from home. Michigan State plays at Wisconsin, Ohio State, Iowa and Purdue. The Spartans also play Michigan and Penn State at home during a brutal five-game stretch to close the season. Welcome to the Big Ten, Mark Dantonio.
Nonconference opponents: UAB (home), Bowling Green (home), Pittsburgh (home), Notre Dame (road)
Toughest game: at Wisconsin, Sept. 29
Easiest game: vs. UAB, Sept. 1
26.gif
9. UCLA: The Bruins received some favors from the Pac-10 schedule makers, with four Pac-10 home games and only one back-to-back road trip (at Washington State on Oct. 27 and Arizona on Nov. 3). But give UCLA credit for its challenging nonconference schedule, which includes BYU at home on Sept. 8, Utah on the road on Sept. 15 and Notre Dame at home on Oct. 6.
UCLA plays California, Arizona State and Oregon at home, but travels to Washington State and Southern California.
Nonconference opponents: BYU (home), Utah (road), Notre Dame (home)
Toughest game: at Southern California, Dec. 1
Easiest game: at Stanford, Sept. 1
87.gif
10. NOTRE DAME: Two of the military academies and Duke are still on the schedule, but how many teams would want to play Georgia Tech, Penn State, Michigan, UCLA, Boston College and USC? The Fighting Irish play the Nittany Lions and Wolverines in back-to-back road games, and consecutive road contests at Purdue and UCLA won't be easy, either. Home games against Boston College and USC in October will determine whether Charlie Weis' third season at Notre Dame is a success.
Toughest game: vs. USC, Oct. 20
Easiest game: vs. Duke, Nov. 17

Former Irish QB decides on UConn

ERIC HANSEN
Tribune Staff Writer

Zach Frazer found a more painful pitfall than airline food the second time through the recruiting process.

Hotel weight rooms.

"C'mon, you can't do anything in there," the former Notre Dame quarterback said Monday. "Not unless you're on vacation or something. And I'm not on vacation. Never took a day off. I'm still determined to get better every day -- stronger, faster, smarter. My dreams haven't changed."

Only his uniform. The sophomore-to-be from Mechanicsburg, Pa., has settled on the University of Connecticut as his new launching pad. Frazer had more than 25 offers once he began pondering about a month ago whether to leave Notre Dame. He picked the Huskies, a team that did recruit him hard the first time around, over Big East brethren Rutgers and Cincinnati.

"In the end, I went with my gut," he said. "Playing time, academics, facilities, relationships with coaches all factored in. I knew what I was looking for, so it was easy to get it down to three schools. I was a lot more mature about my decision this time."Not that he regrets the Notre Dame experience. But the 6-foot-5, 226-pound quarterback visited only ND during recruiting cycle No. 1, no other schools, and fell in love.

He never fell out of love with the school, but did reassess his football situation once Irish head coach Charlie Weis in late May narrowed the field of potential candidates to succeed Brady Quinn from four to three, excluding only Frazer.

"I kept telling myself there was something else out there for me," he said. "But there's going to be competition wherever you go."

And Frazer will have to beat out an incumbent in 2008, once he becomes eligible following the NCAA's mandatory one-year incubation period for transfers. He will have three years of eligibility to try to expunge the passing records set by Dan Orlovsky, a fifth-round draft choice of the Detroit Lions in 2005 and the face of a rising Division I-A program."Zach certainly has aspirations to play on the next level," Frazer's father, Dave, said. "And that made UConn a good fit. So did a lot of other things. (Coach) Randy Edsall is from Pennsylvania and he takes care of Pennsylvania kids. And the academics are real good, and that factored in greatly too. Anybody who's playing college football, they're stupid if they're not thinking about life after football."

Frazer, a business major with a sports management minor, already thinks he knows what that will look like.

"I want to be a coach," he said. "I want to teach. I want to make a difference in the world that way. And maybe this situation will help me handle quarterbacks someday. I just know right now quarterback isn't the position I play or what I do, it's who I am."

And Frazer says he's better off for having been around Weis, even if it was only a year and even if it was mostly as a bystander.

"The perspective he brings is just incredible," Frazer said. "I'm going to miss that. And I'm going to miss the people, some great friendships I think that will last forever, at least I hope I do. But in the end, Notre Dame wasn't me."The most amusing part about his transfer thus far is that people seem to be more interested in the situation Frazer is leaving behind rather than the one he's walking into.

"I tell everyone the same thing, I don't know who's going to start at Notre Dame this fall. It could be Demetrius Jones, Jimmy Clausen or Evan Sharpley," he said. "To be honest with you, I was shocked when I wasn't named a finalist. But I got over that and accepted that. I really don't know what direction they're going. I'm going to be watching and rooting hard for all of them. But when it happens and they finally do name one guy, I'm going to probably be as surprised as anybody else."

Five Teams that could Surprise the BCS

by Brian Sakowski @ 10:28 am.
<!-- meta -->
Last season we had a few surprises in the BCS Bowl games, most notibly Wake Forest and Boise State. Here are five teams that could “crash” the BCS party come January 2008.

1. Hawaii - Heisman Canidate in QB Colt Brennan…check. Manageable schedule…check. High flying offense…check. ESPN’s Mark Schlabach says that Hawaii has one of the easiest schedules in all of college football. That may be true but head coach June Jones says that the Warriors weak schedule is no fault of their own. Either way with two Division 1-AA teams on it and its toughest game a home one against Boise State, the Warriors have a legit shot of ending the season 12-0. Would the BCS pass up an undefeated team, with a Heisman Candidate, and a high powered offense? I think not.

2. Boise State - The Broncos proved last year that they belonged in the BCS Bowl game by beating Oklahoma. They took part in probably the most exciting BCS game last year using three trick plays to hold on to beat the Sooners. They have a strong core coming back led by running back Ian Johnson who was the Nation’s leader in scoring and rushing touchdowns. The Broncos do have to replace QB Jared Zabranksy. All eyes will be on the November 23rd meeting with Hawaii. Not only will it be for the WAC title, but it could be for a spot in a BCS Bowl game. Only question remaining is if Boise State wins another BCS bowl game which player on this year’s roster will propose to his girlfriend after the game?

3. TCU - In the past 5 years the Horned Frogs have won at least 10 games 4 times and 11 games 3 of those 5 years. So this school is use to success on the football field. Unlike the previous two teams on this list, they have a tough non-conference opponent that will most likely throw a wrench in their BCS crashing ability. September 8th, the Horned Frogs travel to Austin to face the Longhorns. If they are somehow lucky enough to get through that game alive; games against BYU and Utah will also test them. TCU has the benefit of a tougher schedule on their resume, with that being said if they were to win every game, but Texas there could be an (very) outside shot at crashing the BCS party.

4. South Florida - Three names get thrown around when talking about the 2007 Big East Champion: West Virginia, Louisville, and Rutgers. Some people forget that the Bulls beat West Virginia in Morgantown last year and came within an eyelash of beating Rutgers. In 2007 they return 20 of 22 starters and 53 lettermen in total. Tough road games at Auburn and Rutgers should give the Bulls some trouble. But even if they do lose the Auburn they still have a shot at the Big East championship. Their home slate includes West Virginia and Louisville. Head coach Jim Leavitt hopes that QB Matt Grothe improves on his promising freshman season and their under publicized defense can continue to get stronger. It isn’t far fetched to think that the November 17 game against Louisville could be for the Big East title. While Rutgers, Louisville, and West Virginia all beat up on each other; it could be the Bulls the sneak their way into the Big East title and a BCS Bowl game.

5. UCLA - So how can I call UCLA a surprise…well when you are in a conference with USC and Cal, it will be no cakewalk to get a BCS bid. The Bruins return 21 of 22 starters from a team that held USC to 9 points and Notre Dame to a low output. That was USC’s lowest output in a long time. Ben Olson will be back at quarterback as he beat out Patrick Cowan in spring ball. So the Bruins have two quarterbacks with starting experience under their belts. In their favor they have Notre Dame, Cal, Oregon, and BYU all at home and have to travel far to play USC. Even if they do lose a conference game, they can keep themselves in the BCS running with a clean slate the rest of the way. We all know that offense wins games but defense wins championships. UCLA definitely has the defense if the Bruins play the way they did against USC and forget about giving up 44 points to Florida State in the Emerald Bowl.

YO YO YO YO YOOOO…FIGHTIN’ OKRA TO QB AT OLE MISS?

The great search for a quarterback at Ole Miss–now four years and running following the departure of Eli Manning from Oxford–may have reached an improbable conclusion in the form of one ferocious piece of fighting okra, Delta State transfer Seth Adams.

Brent SCHAEF-FAH, lauded transfer from Tennessee via the College of the Sequoias, was supposed to be the starter going into 2007, but fizzled last year as starter with a 9/10 TD/INT ratio and an underwhelming on-field presence as signal-caller. Enter Seth Adams, a former Delta State Fighting Okra who went 16 for 20 in the spring game and has “a leg up” in the competition according to Ole Miss head coach/manbeast Ed Orgeron.

Correct, reader: Ole Miss’ potential quarterback is a transfer from Delta State. YO YO YO YO YOOOOOO, YO YOOOOO…OK-RA!!! This should be immensely fun, especially given the fact that Adams gives everyone a chance to say the words “Fighting Okra” at least a zillion times over the nexy season.

Okra.JPG

Delta State’s Fighting Okra: qb mill for the Orgeron.

Don’t mock the name, either. As anyone whose eaten more than a small serving of okra at a time, okra does indeed fight, albeit in your lower intestine mostly. It’ll run through you with a Patton-esque speed and determination, a connection the designers of the Delta State outfit must have had in mind when they stitched together that turdulent, Mr. Hankey outfit seen above.

Ole Miss QB living his dream

Wednesday, July 04, 2007

OXFORD, Miss. -- Ask the most ardent college football fan to list the quarterbacks of the Southeastern Conference and some names pop up immediately.

There's Florida's Tim Tebow, the golden boy who helped lead the Gators to a national championship as a freshman. There's sophomore sensation Matthew Stafford at Georgia, who is the closest thing the league has to a sure-fire NFL lock.

Auburn's Brandon Cox has been around forever. Alabama's John Parker Wilson is an emerging star, as are Kentucky's Andre Woodson and Tennessee's Erik Ainge. LSU's Matt Flynn has started only one game, but the Tigers are widely considered a national championship contender this fall.

Seth Adams knows his name doesn't usually roll off the tip of anyone's tongue during that conversation. That's OK; he's used to it. Heck, the Ole Miss quarterback is pretty anonymous when he's walking through the Grove in the heart of campus.

"I'm not a celebrity or anything," Adams said with a laugh. "I'm not Eli."

That would be New York Giants quarterback Eli Manning, who led Ole Miss to a 7-1 SEC mark in 2003 before leaving a void at the position that no one has come close to filling.

Former Tennessee quarterback Brent Schaeffer was supposed to make Ole Miss fans forget Manning last year. However, Schaeffer didn't enroll until August and his play during the Rebels' 4-8 season was spotty at best.

Schaeffer passed for 1,442 yards and nine touchdowns, but his penchant for turnovers and mistakes proved costly more often than not.

Enter Adams, a 6-foot-4, 222-pounder from Holly Springs, Miss., who spent two years at Delta State but never started a game before transferring to Hinds (Miss.) Community College. Adams then walked on at Ole Miss, competing for a job that was handed to Schaeffer before he even arrived on campus.

Adams worked his way into playing time, especially in the second half of the season, and passed for 177 yards.

"It was a dream come true," Adams said. "I always wanted to get here. It was a dream of mine to play in the SEC and play for Ole Miss. When it did happen against Wake Forest, it was a blessing. After that, I just wanted to keep moving on and get better.

"Against LSU (in one of the Rebels' two overtime losses), I was in there during crucial situations, playing a lot in the second half of that game. I think that experience in crucial times and situations was vital in my development."

Adams was the star of Ole Miss' spring. He stripped the starting job away from Schaeffer, then seemingly cemented his status as No. 1 with a 16-for-20 passing performance in the annual Grove Bowl.

Asked if he considers himself the starter, Adams is diplomatic. Ole Miss coach Ed Orgeron has yet to officially inform him of his plans for the position, saying only that Adams has a leg up going into the first day of practice on Aug. 5.

"I came out of spring as the starter," Adams said. "I know Coach O and the coaching staff like to have competition. We haven't discussed it. I just know I'm going to go into fall camp and compete as hard as I can to be the starter.

"I feel I know the offense real well. I got a lot more reps this spring with the (starting offense), so therefore, I was just able to develop further in all aspects. I worked on some quick passes, some high-percentage throws and stuff. I feel like the spring definitely benefited me."

"I'm not an offensive coordinator, but the coaches say he's controlling the tempo of the game," Ole Miss running back BenJarvus Green-Ellis said. "I know I just saw him take more of a leadership role in the offense."

Externally, no one's taking Ole Miss seriously. The Rebels are a consensus fifth- or sixth-place pick in the SEC West. Internally, however, there is some optimism on offense. Green-Ellis returns after rushing for 1,035 yards last season. The Rebels' top 12 receivers last season are all back this season as well. Throw in All-SEC left tackle Michael Oher and budding star John Jerry on the offensive line and the pieces are in place.
Well, all the pieces except one, that is.

"I think the quarterback takes a lot of the blame," Adams said. "The quarterback is a team leader and I feel it should be that way. In my opinion, a good quarterback is able to hold onto the ball, make good decisions and let your playmakers make plays and get it into their hands. As a whole unit, it takes 11 guys to make a play work."

Still, Adams has heard the criticism. You can't walk into a grocery store in the Southeast these days without seeing preseason football magazines. The segment on Ole Miss -- and the quarterback position in particular -- is usually anything but flowery.

"I think it's a good motivator," Adams said. "We were definitely lacking in the passing game last year. We have a great offensive line, great weapons, a great running back. It's a great motivator as a unit, not just as quarterbacks, to get better in all aspects so we can be a top SEC team."

Besides, Adams isn't playing for respect. He's a senior, a guy fighting with fellow senior Schaeffer to keep the seat warm until Texas transfer Jevan Snead can compete in 2008. Adams has already achieved more than he thought he would. Now he wants to turn some of his wildest dreams into reality in the only uniform he ever dreamed of wearing, playing a position once occupied by his idols.

"It's definitely an honor to be at the position with the guys who have played here, like Eli and Archie (Manning) and to be in the presence of so many great athletes and the tradition that we have here at Ole Miss," he said.

"I've thought about this time next year I won't be here at Ole Miss preparing for a football season. In that way, it's kind of scary but then again, it'd be great to be a starter, go out on top, win some games, reach a bowl game and achieve some of our goals. It's very exciting. It'll be sad on one hand, but I'm looking forward to it."

It's the Team Nobody Wants to Play

"Teams don't want to make the trip anymore," Hawaii coach June Jones says. "They come here, we kick their ass, they go home."

Jones has a point.

The Warriors were unable to find a 13th opponent to fill their schedule despite offering $750,000 and a trip to paradise.

Hawaii was put in this position because Michigan State tried for a year to get out of a game in Honolulu — the same one Hawaii now can't replace — before finally paying $250,000 to do so, reports Matt Hayes of the Sporting News.

Michigan State, of course, got beat in its last trip to Hawaii, 41-38, in 2004. The Spartans are not alone. Alabama, Purdue and Arizona State have lost in recent years on the island.

Mississippi State was one team that refused to play Hawaii, and that game would have been played in Starkville. Jones told Hayes that "a couple" of Pacific 10 teams were offered the $750,000 — plus national television coverage — for a game in Honolulu, but declined.

With quarterback Colt Brennan returning, it's not surprising that teams didn't answer the Warriors' call for a 13th game (allowable under a 52-year-old NCAA exemption). Hawaii, you might recall, punted only 16 times in 14 games last season, half of that total coming in the first six games. Ultimately, the loss of an extra game will cost Brennan any shot of winning the Heisman.

Skeptical of the Warriors' talent? Consider this: Hawaii had five players selected in this year's NFL draft. That's more than Nebraska, Georgia, Oklahoma, UCLA or Alabama. Brennan could be next year's No. 1 pick.

And the restocking process has already taken place. Hawaii was the state most efficient in producing Division I-A recruits this year in relation to population.

[FONT=Arial, Verdana]Bowman's Recovery Ahead of Schedule (July 3)[/FONT]
Zackary+Bowman1.jpg

<!--numParagraphs : 3 -->10-11 Husker Insider Sean Callahan is reporting NU cornerback Zack Bowman's recovery is ahead of schedule. Callahan says there's a chance Bowman could be ready for the season opener. Nebraska's first game is Sept. 1 against Nevada.
Bowman was ruled out 4 1/2 to 6 months after surgery during spring football. The defensive back's

Hoyer answers the bell
The dinner bell, that is, as the Spartans' new quarterback tries to bulk up to remain durable.
Dave Dye / The Detroit News
EAST LANSING -- Brian Hoyer is on the old "see-food" diet this summer.
If he sees it, he's supposed to eat it.

Hoyer said he's gained "eight solid pounds" since spring practice ended in April. He's trying to bulk up so he can take some big hits and not get injured when he becomes Michigan State's starting quarterback this season.

"I'm trying to take in 6,000 calories a day," said Hoyer, who was listed at 6-foot-2, 212 pounds during the spring. "It's hard to keep up with eating that much food. You always feel like you're stuffed.

"I have to try to eat every two hours. When I wake up in the morning, I try to eat a pretty big breakfast. After I lift, I'll eat a protein bar or some fruit. After we run, I'll have a pretty big lunch. I get a rotisserie chicken and eat the whole thing and some pasta. For dinner, I'll have some pasta with fish or two chicken breasts. Before bed, I drink a protein shake.

"Sometimes you don't really feel like it, but you've got to force yourself to eat."

Hoyer's summer workouts include lifting and running four days a week, and throwing in 7-on-7 drills three times. He also has a part-time job and goes to class four nights a week.

In his free time, Hoyer said he likes to take his girlfriend to movies, go fishing with his brother and grandfather, play a little golf or take some swings at his father's batting cages back home in Ohio.

"I'm a pretty laid-back guy," Hoyer said. "I really don't go out too much. We'll usually go see a movie every weekend. Whatever is the hot movie out.

"I thought 'Pirates of the Caribbean (at World's End)' was disappointing. I didn't like it as much as the first two. 'Ocean's Thirteen' was all right. It wasn't as good as the first one or the second one. I also saw 'Knocked Up.' That was hilarious."

[FONT=Helvetica,Arial]BYU's Tonga arrested[/FONT]
He's accused of failing to pay ticket, giving fake name to police
[FONT=Verdana,Helvetica,Arial]By Tad Walch[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana,Helvetica,Arial]Deseret Morning News[/FONT]
[FONT=Georgia,Verdana]PROVO — Brigham Young University running back Manase Tonga was arrested after a traffic stop early Tuesday morning for allegedly failing to pay a traffic ticket and giving a fake name to Provo police.

<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=10 width=188 align=right border=0><TBODY><TR><TD width=188>
4323938.jpg

[FONT=Geneva,MS Sans Serif,Verdana,Helvetica,Arial]BYU running back Manase Tonga celebrates after a touchdown during last year's game against Utah. [/FONT]
xclear.gif

[FONT=Georgia,Geneva,MS Sans Serif,Helvetica,Arial]Scott Winterton, Deseret Morning News[/FONT]</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>An officer pulled Tonga over at 12:50 a.m. for failing to stop at a stop sign at the corner of 500 North and 500 East, Provo Police Sgt. Richard Dewey said.

A warrant was out for the arrest of Tonga, 23, because he had not paid an $82 ticket for running a stop sign in August 2006, according to court documents.

Dewey said Tonga told the officer Tuesday morning that his name was Fifa Tonga.

"He knew he had a warrant out for his arrest, so whenever the officer asked his name, he gave a false name," Dewey said. "It was a totally fictitious name, which is good for him. It's a higher charge if someone gives another person's real name."

The officer issued citations to Tonga for failure to stop, for driving a car with an expired registration and providing false personal information to a police officer.

Assistant Provo City Attorney Steve Schreiner had not seen the case. He said giving a fictitious identity to a police officer can be a class C misdemeanor, the equivalent of many traffic citations.

The arresting officer booked Tonga into the Utah County Jail at 1:30 a.m.

Jail officials released Tonga to a Daniel Turagavou at about 2:50 a.m. after Turagavou paid $2,357 in bail and bonds.

BYU football coach Bronco Mendenhall is aware of the situation but has not spoken with Tonga and was out of town Thursday and unavailable for comment, said Jeff Reynolds, BYU's sports information director.

"Once coach Mendenhall returns, he will gather the necessary details and then determine an appropriate response," Reynolds said.

Team officials expressed surprise at the incident because of Tonga's good reputation on the team. Tonga is an Eagle Scout who served as a missionary for The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints in Honduras.

Tonga will be a junior this fall and is expected to challenge Fui Vakapuna for the lead running back role during fall camp next month.

Tonga ran for 197 yards and four touchdowns last year, including the opening score in BYU's white-knuckle win over rival Utah.

Tonga also caught 23 passes for 230 yards and two touchdowns, including a 17-yard touchdown catch in BYU's victory over Oregon in the Las Vegas Bowl.

The running back's younger brother, Matangi Tonga, played all 13 of BYU's games last year as a freshman defensive lineman but withdrew from school this spring after Mendenhall suspended him indefinitely because he has been charged with burglary.

Both Tongas played at Aragon High School in San Mateo, Calif., where their cousin, Seta Pohahau, is preparing for his senior year. Pohahau has committed to sign with BYU in February to play running back for the Cougars in 2008.

Provo police ticketed Manase Tonga in August 2006 for failing to stop at a stop sign. Tonga didn't pay the fine and a warrant was issued for his arrest in November.

Provo police ticketed Tonga again on April 23 for failing to stop at a stop sign and expired registration, but he was not arrested then on the warrant. Dewey didn't know if the officer involved in that stop warned Tonga about the arrest warrant.
Tonga's arrest is similar to a December 2005 incident when two Utah Jazz players gave false names to police after a fight in Park City.

Deron Williams told police his name was Torrey Ellis. Robert Whaley, who no longer is with the team, said his name was Bobby Williams. Both players also provided fictitious dates of birth.

The Jazz fined both players and suspended Whaley for a game. Charged with misdemeanors for providing false information to police, Deron Williams pleaded guilty and Whaley pleaded no contest in Summit County's justice court.

Each paid a $175 fine.
[/FONT]

Back