Week 5 What Are We Learning

Jax defense does not look at all different from the one that collapsed toward the end of last season when it made Jake Browning look like Joe Montana.

Jax did allow some low-ish point totals but look at the yardage allowed: Houston and Miami offenses really did better than it seems. Holding Browns to a low point total obviously means nothing.

Trevor is Trevor: he will thrive against a low-ranked pass defense and flounder against a high-ranked defense.

So the formula is pretty simple. When Jags face: bad offense and high-ranking pass defense = under, good offense and high-ranking pass defense = loss, good offense and low-ranking pass defense = over

Colts‘ secondary is really awful

Eagles might actually finish last in their division
Jags over Colts was the easiest bet of the weekend. Considering I missed on all my other bets that was empirically true. Colts have always struggled in Duval.

There was a bit of an NBA quality to the games this week. You know what I mean....when key players are missing yet the guys thrown into the lineup play their asses off. Giants were missing Nabors and Singletary, got the win. Cowboys were missing Micah and Lawrence, got the win. Miami didn't have Tua and lost Achane in the 1st Q, got the win.

Then again, teams with internal disfunction couldn't overcome lost players. Raiders with Adams pouting lost.

Trying to figure out which coach cost their team more:
1) Houston is in FG range at Buf 39 with 44 seconds left, yet the Bills force a grounding call that leads to a punt. Houston downs it at the three yard line. With 32 seconds left, rather than run the clock out and head for OT, McDermott calls three straight pass plays that all fall incomplete. Martin gets off a decent punt but Woods brings it to the Bills 46. With seven seconds left, Houston runs one quick pass that gains 5, calls a timeout saved courtesy of McDermott's boneheaded decisions and Fairbairn nails a game winning 58 yard FG indoors. McDermott let the media stew for an hour post game before finally going to the press room and saying it was his fault.

2) The Bengals are unable to keep the Ravens from driving for a game tying FG but they have 1:35 and Joe Burrow to drive for the win. After a first down sack and 2nd down incompletion, Taylor pulls the plug and calls a run play which sends the game to OT. In OT Lamar has the Ravens on the move to the Bengal 38, but then fumbles and the recovery gives the Bengals the ball at the Ravens 38. Taylor then turtles it, calls three straight runs that gain only 3 yards. Then the snap on the FG is botched and McPherson misses the 53 yarder, leading to the Ravens driving for a winning FG of their own. Post game Taylor says Joe B audibled out of a pass play on at least one of the plays.

Tough call. McDermott showed extreme confidence in Allen, which has paid off in the past. Taylor probably should've kicked on 3rd down. Did he at least learn that lesson? I doubt it.

I'd put McCarthy on this list but the Cowboys ended up getting the win so he lives another week. He actually has a fighting chance in the coaching battle next week.....cement head Campbell is coming to town. I wonder what kind of reporting trick they'll try to pull next week.

Jags over Colts was the easiest bet of the weekend. Considering I missed on all my other bets that was empirically true. Colts have always struggled in Duval.

There was a bit of an NBA quality to the games this week. You know what I mean....when key players are missing yet the guys thrown into the lineup play their asses off. Giants were missing Nabors and Singletary, got the win. Cowboys were missing Micah and Lawrence, got the win. Miami didn't have Tua and lost Achane in the 1st Q, got the win.

Then again, teams with internal disfunction couldn't overcome lost players. Raiders with Adams pouting lost.

Trying to figure out which coach cost their team more:
1) Houston is in FG range at Buf 39 with 44 seconds left, yet the Bills force a grounding call that leads to a punt. Houston downs it at the three yard line. With 32 seconds left, rather than run the clock out and head for OT, McDermott calls three straight pass plays that all fall incomplete. Martin gets off a decent punt but Woods brings it to the Bills 46. With seven seconds left, Houston runs one quick pass that gains 5, calls a timeout saved courtesy of McDermott's boneheaded decisions and Fairbairn nails a game winning 58 yard FG indoors. McDermott let the media stew for an hour post game before finally going to the press room and saying it was his fault.

2) The Bengals are unable to keep the Ravens from driving for a game tying FG but they have 1:35 and Joe Burrow to drive for the win. After a first down sack and 2nd down incompletion, Taylor pulls the plug and calls a run play which sends the game to OT. In OT Lamar has the Ravens on the move to the Bengal 38, but then fumbles and the recovery gives the Bengals the ball at the Ravens 38. Taylor then turtles it, calls three straight runs that gain only 3 yards. Then the snap on the FG is botched and McPherson misses the 53 yarder, leading to the Ravens driving for a winning FG of their own. Post game Taylor says Joe B audibled out of a pass play on at least one of the plays.

Tough call. McDermott showed extreme confidence in Allen, which has paid off in the past. Taylor probably should've kicked on 3rd down. Did he at least learn that lesson? I doubt it.

I'd put McCarthy on this list but the Cowboys ended up getting the win so he lives another week. He actually has a fighting chance in the coaching battle next week.....cement head Campbell is coming to town. I wonder what kind of reporting trick they'll try to pull next week.
Mentioned in cf thread how bad Narduzzi clock mgt was at end of Pittsburgh NC game. Legitimately half of college pro hc are truly idiots. Unbelievable. I watched McDummy call those passes. Confidence in Allen is great but he was like 10 of 29 for 130 yards and they had no TO left either. Just gotta settle for OT there.

Worlds are colliding tonight with Yankees vs Chiefs on tv

Ironically the Royals are involved

Mentioned in cf thread how bad Narduzzi clock mgt was at end of Pittsburgh NC game. Legitimately half of college pro hc are truly idiots. Unbelievable. I watched McDummy call those passes. Confidence in Allen is great but he was like 10 of 29 for 130 yards and they had no TO left either. Just gotta settle for OT there.
I tend to agree with you but it is on Allen as well. He was off and was trying to push downfield instead of taking what he could. Someone made the point that on 2nd down when Allen goes sidelines to Hollins (who mind you already dropped a td) if he just plants and turns to make a play towards the ball it's obvious PI. You are in position to win the game not play ot. Good chance they still lose running 3x. These guys have to make the plays.

I'm still for firing the staff if they don't do something amazing this year.

Reactions: KJ
I tend to agree with you but it is on Allen as well. He was off and was trying to push downfield instead of taking what he could. Someone made the point that on 2nd down when Allen goes sidelines to Hollins (who mind you already dropped a td) if he just plants and turns to make a play towards the ball it's obvious PI. You are in position to win the game not play ot. Good chance they still lose running 3x. These guys have to make the plays.

Not sure if the staff is the problem or not but I agree. You are getting prime years of a really good team and not getting results. If something doesn't change....that's on ownership.

Don't disagree at all. Just watching i thought for sure they would take a knee and goto OT. with no TO left was too big a risk. Houston had contained him well too. But can't say I was too surprised either.

Back