Week 0 - What Did We Learn?

Eh I get the frustration. But keep in mind these are kids. Its season opener, there’s no preseason. Even pros — even ageless vets like Drew Brees — risk injury to play in preseason.

Eh I get the frustration. But keep in mind these are kids. Its season opener, there’s no preseason. Even pros — even ageless vets like Drew Brees — risk injury to play in preseason.

GTFO of here with that, Cavs.

That was an embarrassing display of football tonight. Mental mistakes all over the place, bad coaching, bad tackling, stupid penalties...this isn’t the preseason.

Miami 2 tackles absolutely killed them. The freshman QB played like the game was 9 speeds too fast for him.

And Dan Enos, can you make an adjustment please...no QB especially a Freshman can survive behind that line calling those plays.

Nice to see it is STILL suicide to trust to ever trust any college kicker ever.

But even for as shitty as it was...it’s fucking football...and there is NOTHING like it.

If professionals -- like Kyler Murray and Arizona's offense against Oakland -- look sloppy af (it being preseason), I see zero reason why the same shouldn't be expected from college kids. No way they should be held to a higher standard than professionals

If professionals -- like Kyler Murray and Arizona's offense against Oakland -- look sloppy af (it being preseason), I see zero reason why the same shouldn't be expected from college kids. No way they should be held to a higher standard than professionals

NFL is protecting investments...that’s why Stars don’t play. They don’t give AF about practice games especially when your franchise is worth $1Billion.

College every game counts...the coaches make a shit ton of money. Franks is a farce. Mullen didn’t have this team ready. Enos is still a horror show of an OC for a freshman QB...both defenses have studs. Both offenses going to struggle all year.

The freshman QB for Miami was running fake off play action handoffs on EVERY dropback. That’s stupid and a waste of time and slowing down the time he needs to read the defense. The game was WAY too fast for him tonight.

UA/Hawaii was actually worse. Hawaii turned it over six times all of which were unforced. Hawaii scores in the 70s without the tos. They also had numerous other near picks from wrs playing volleyball with the ball. Blown coverages by both teams. AZ had three straight false starts when lining up for fg. Hawaii almost lets Tate scramble for 30 yards on last play to tie it. Az defense is absolutely AWFUL. Can’t imagine they stop anyone

It was hard to take away anything from Mia/UF. I can see the talent of both front 7s. Specifically the “U”. UF could not run all night, but we’re forced to try, since the QB play was below average. But, I think we all knew that coming in. The UF front 7 played in the backfield for the better part of the game, but that seemed to be a product of a first time starter at QB. Perry should have got the nod. Outcome may have been similar, but at least he has some game time experience under his belt. The O-lines on both sides will get better, but they will still be middle of the pack, at best, in each team’s league. I’ll be looking to back teams with good to great front 7s against both.

I for one admit that I was wrong about Enos. It’s still early on but looks like Miami butchered another head coach hire. It’s been nothing but horrible coaches since Butch Davis left for Cleveland and I don’t expect Diaz to change that.

Sorry but Florida is nowhere near being a top ten team with that slug playing QB. I remember a time when any big three Florida matchup meant big time football and that is clearly no longer the case.

It was hard to take away anything from Mia/UF. I can see the talent of both front 7s. Specifically the “U”. UF could not run all night, but we’re forced to try, since the QB play was below average. But, I think we all knew that coming in. The UF front 7 played in the backfield for the better part of the game, but that seemed to be a product of a first time starter at QB. Perry should have got the nod. Outcome may have been similar, but at least he has some game time experience under his belt. The O-lines on both sides will get better, but they will still be middle of the pack, at best, in each team’s league. I’ll be looking to back teams with good to great front 7s against both.

Agree with most of what you said but they made the right move going with Williams over Perry who flat out can’t play at this level.

Sometimes teams are going to play bad. Or not play to expectations. It is live sports and anything could happen. I know we engage in the art of trying predicting the most likely outcomes, but what I love about sports is that anything truly can happen, be that good or bad - phenominal plays or boneheaded blunders. Sure I wish Miami had better OL play. Sure I wish Franks' ability matched his cockiness. Sure I wish DBs would have an awareness to not PI on 4th and 34. And it would be nice is McDonald didn't hurt his team with his carelessness. Or that Hawaii D doesn't almost blow the game on allowing a 36y TD run with :00 on the clock. But...the fact that it all does happen that way is part of the game(s) and while it certainly might not be ideal, that is what happens in alot of these games. I thought both games were very entertaining with endings that I was excited to see how exactly they were going to finish.

How about Tate just walking off the field after being tackled at the 1? It was almost like I could hear him saying "alright, fuck this shit already". Tough loss for Arizona to bounce back from, but they have to realize still 11 games left.

I wonder if Cordeiro should just be the starting QB for UH. I think they would be better off. But then really, they had several weeks of camp to make that decision and didn't.

Is Colgate really that bad or is Villanova really that good?

Week 0 is a failure and is plain stupid. Both games were AWFUL.

If Hawaii can clean up the turnovers and stay healthy this is a team that will go over 66% of the time. Decent against the run which I thought was surprising.

Zona was lost. Can’t touch them for a bit.

Miami and UF can both officially be removed from the CFP conversation.

Interesting to hear opinions on the 1st 2 games. I think winning or losing a bet makes people see things differently.
Miami vs Florida, most glaring to me was the edge rush Florida was putting on the LT. Either Florida is really good at DE or Miami is really gonna struggle with their frosh tackles. 4th and 34 and Florida is playing bump and run? The DB gets beat and acts like he has no help over the top. Cluster fuck. Biggest bet of the day for me was taking Live ingame Florida ML -130 during the 3rd qrtr. Would have gone on tilt if I had lost that way already. Overall, the mismatch was Florida's dline vs Miami's oline. Gators dominated early and only their mistakes kept this close. Florida player fumbles and actually recovers it with both knees on the ground and for some stupid reason tries to get up instead of securing it. Unexplainable.
Miami put the ball on the carpet plenty and not a Gator around.
As far as Hawaii goes. Why does it seem that their games are played like they're from another planet? It's such a different experience watching their games for as long as I can remember. Is it the stadium, the announcers, their style of play, their uniforms, they're a late game and I'm inebriated, or all of the above? I cant capp them, so I'll just stay on their overs

Week 0 is a failure and is plain stupid. Both games were AWFUL.

If Hawaii can clean up the turnovers and stay healthy this is a team that will go over 66% of the time. Decent against the run which I thought was surprising.

Zona was lost. Can’t touch them for a bit.

Miami and UF can both officially be removed from the CFP conversation.
I found both games very entertaining. Sloppy yes but thought entertaining. If Florida loses that game after 4th and 34, I might be with you. Lol

Agree with most of your thoughts wise. The matchup for Miami’s offense was as bad as we expected, and Florida should have put it out of reach early.

The Hawaii turnovers were mind boggling, as the picks weren’t even great individual plays by the defense and the QB wasn’t under pressure. And most of them came when they could have distanced themselves from Arizona, like they were getting greedy. To their credit they put a drive together and looked nearly flawless every time they needed it. At least that was my thought at the time, haven’t reviewed the box score yet.

Interesting to hear opinions on the 1st 2 games. I think winning or losing a bet makes people see things differently.
Miami vs Florida, most glaring to me was the edge rush Florida was putting on the LT. Either Florida is really good at DE or Miami is really gonna struggle with their frosh tackles. 4th and 34 and Florida is playing bump and run? The DB gets beat and acts like he has no help over the top. Cluster fuck.
You are right. He should have known he was supposed to have help there, and in fact the help was where it was supposed to be and -- for all appearances -- would have stopped the receiver 3 or 4 yards short of the line to gain..

You are right. He should have known he was supposed to have help there, and in fact the help was where it was supposed to be and -- for all appearances -- would have stopped the receiver 3 or 4 yards short of the line to gain..
I forgot about the PI flag in the endzone that was picked up. I find it unbelievable an official has the balls to throw a flag in the endzone on something that was so borderline. Thank God someone came in and said, wtf are you doing? Talk about trying to impact the game.

Villanova continues to me a bit of a mystery. Recall, 2018 saw wins over Temple and Delaware, but losses to New Hampshire and William & Mary, There is no reason to think the Cats are really as good as they looked last week, returning, as they do, the fewest starters in the conference. Colgate lost a ton, including 10 all-conference performers. The Gate is not a program that figures just to reload, and it sure looks like they didn't. AFA should name the score this weekend.

Back