Wednesday Discussion Thread

VirginiaCavs

CTG Super Moderator
Staff member

Neidert had to make this list after seeing what Atlanta did yesterday. Good bullpen wasn't available apparently since they brought Tomlin out for a 2nd inning so that will change today. Just really like the fight you get from Miami and Mattingly is a great manager when he's not supposed to win a title every year. Also doesn't hurt that their pitching staff is dogged every single game

Hard to judge CIN right now, but west coast trips rarely go well and they've been in the games just can't seem to hold onto them. Last night 4-0 in the 1st with Castillo on the mound you gotta think that's a win, maybe not after it got tied but then they took another lead. Demerits for what should be a decent bullpen that has some really good arms at the end, though Bell seems comfortable blowing leads with middle relief (which is not a good sign for his ability as a manager)

Cueto has been solid since joining SF, off 118 pitches though can't be good for any arm even a proven vet. Mahle got some love this year in fantasy and had a good 2020, looked like he was going in the right direction in 2019 but couldn't seem to finish outings or finish off hitters and i'm not sure that problem has been solved yet.

Not really sure how SF did it last year or is doing it this year, but kinda seems like the marine layer has been burned off by climate change. That or the ballpark changes last year opening the windows within the wall has completely changed the air and they maintained the same setup this year? There were some hammer-time locations on the first inning HR last night, but i guess i'll change my mind when people are hitting opposite field HR consistently (or the ball is confirmed to be HR-prone)

McGee has done it in the past and is off to a perfect start, not sure the rest of the pen is good enough for SF to contend though as they don't have any of those young stud arms coming up (granted they never did when they were winning but still think you kinda need that in the 2021 game)

Peterson was very serviceable last season and PHI is just so disappointing. The lineup has decent players, but Harper doesn't get enough hits and the same goes for Hoskins. Segura is a hit machine, but singles don't do enough these days. Bohm looks good, but still has mistakes in him both offensively and defensively.

Wheeler had no fastball command in ATL and somehow survived a while until it finally caught up to him 2nd time through the order. He was great to back and very trustworthy, but it's kinda amazing how off a pitcher can be if something is not working. Expect he's worked on that and should have a clue where the ball is going next start after that, but also not sure how much NYM could even punish him.

Mets lineup seems like it's built on Dom Smith's good 60-game sample from 2020 after being a near automatic out for his whole career. Lindor a big improvement, but Conforto about as streaky as it gets. Alonso is gonna be a 50 HR .197 BA guy it looks like to me, rough to count on that but probably good enough. Just not enough threats to punish Wheeler as he probably overpowers that lineup and i should rip up my lean to the home odds

Sox-Twins both show up on my list, not sure i believe in BOS yet but JD not being an automatic out is huge for that lineup. Bloom brought in utility guys since they were limited by depth problems in recent seasons and that's looked good so far. Jury is still out on Kike playing everyday at the top of the lineup, but certainly has pop

Bullpens are of most interest, Ottavino to Barnes seems to be going smoothly so far. Colome with great numbers in 2020, but low strikeouts and Rocco using him for 6 outs seems very out of the ordinary as he hasn't done it in his career and probably shouldnt' be doing that early in the season. Probably speaks to questions about the rest of the bullpen if that wasn't just an odd circumstance, but Rogers has never been good working b2b days. MIN lost some of their pen in the offseason, it was deep previously but notably May to NYM. Robles terrible last year after being so dominant in 2019, not sure what to make of him but he's grabbed the coveted 8th inning spot. That's a question mark, so is Rogers, but Duffey in the 7th is a decent arm. Don't feel that bullpen is as fortified as BOS, though before Ottavino there's a whole lot of idk for Boston that may require length from starters to ever feel confident

Took the over in Pitt today; love fading players coming back home to their old team and love fading players off no hitters I get the double whammy. Joe's been pretty average at PNC as well.

Took the over in Pitt today; love fading players coming back home to their old team and love fading players off no hitters I get the double whammy. Joe's been pretty average at PNC as well.

much different pitch mix for Musgrove now and Caratini sounds like a great game caller, everything gets better when you don't wear the Pirates uniform

much different pitch mix for Musgrove now and Caratini sounds like a great game caller, everything gets better when you don't wear the Pirates uniform
I think this year he's relied on his slider and cutter and in previous years it's been the slider and 4 seam but overall his pitch arsenal has been the same with just the distro being different, which is likely your point. Really relying on that cutter this year when it was his least used pitch last year.

Back