Was This The Most Un-Evenly Matched Series EVER?

Gorgolon Lives

The Reverend of CTG
This is a debate the networks won't get into to not disrespect the league. But the question has to be raised. Spurs sweep the series and really don't even play great ball. Game 3 was the only competitive game. Game 4 wasn't as close as the score indicated.

Is this NBA Finals truly the worst in the history of the NBA?

I hate to say it as a Knicks fan, but the Knicks/Spurs Finals was pretty bad. Ewing was hurt and there was no way for them to match up with the Spurs.

But even they won a game, I think.

I don't really watch the NBA any more so, I haven't seen many Finals lately, but this was a horrible matchup and awful basketball.

Bar the Warriors/Mavs series, these playoffs were a complete bust. In fact the NBA season as a whole in 06/07 was crap...

Football couldn't arrive sooner. GO EAGLES !!!

I still enjoyed the Knicks/Spurs series even though it was a complete mismatch...Part of it was because I loved Larry Johnson but I think after the 3 month lockout I was just glad there was a finals being played that year...I order the NBA Package every year so I can watch every meaningless NBA Game all year long and I couldn't bring myself to watch a whole NBA Finals Game this year when in the past I would watch every second of every NBA Finals game ever since I can remember...This series was never in doubt even before the tip it was just a matter of how many games it would take

courtside tickets to the 2007 NBA Finals $250

Watching Queen James get swept by the dynasty that is the San Antonio Spurs - PRICELESS

biggest mismatch ever

And somehow, I lost money on it. F**k.

(Sorry, that's the last time I b*tch about it.)

The NBA should rank all the playoff teams and then place them in brackets like the NCAA. This may avoid these weak ass matchups with the east teams. The west is clearly dominant and will be for a few years with San antonio, Phoenix, Utah, Dallas, Denver, G state and Portland a dark horse.

This way they can structure it to split those west teams evenly in 2 brackets so the finals may at least feature 2 competitive teams.

This finals reminded me of a tier 2 team in soccer moving up and playing a Tier 1 team. The series was never in doubt, in fact the Spurs finals was beating Phoenix who had some players, Nash and Stoudamire that could score against the Spurs. I think the refs screwed the Suns out of at least a possible 7 game series vs the Spurs.

Having said that I cannot believe that we all didn't go very heavy on the Spurs with some kind of double up strategy, because it was obvious that the Cavs would not win any close games in the second half and the Spurs were hungry for a title this year after they lost to the Mavs last year.

Yeah, this series was a lesson in money management, though I'd like to say I learned it better than I did.

Meaning, I wish I could tell you exactly what I learned from knowing the winner of the series beforehand and not profiting in the series.

You also make a good point about the NBA's playoff formatting, but the whole playoff structure is a complete clustef**k.

First, the seeds aren't readjusted after each round. So you end up with something like Phoenix/SA in the second round while GS plays Utah, then Utah matches up with SA in the WC Finals. Well, that's great, but the real contest people wanted to see was now over in SA/Phoenix.

So now there was no reason to watch the West--which is the only good conference. NJ/Cleveland set basketball back 10 years, Detroit/Chicago was like extensive oral surgery, and the Finals were unwatchable.

Then there's the fact that the Finals are, for some reason I don't think anybody can understand, scheduled and formatted differently than every other round in the playoffs.

Why in God's name is every series a normal 2-2-1-1-1 format, only to have the Finals go to 2-3-2?

It's laughable.

Joe, the format change is because the 1-1-1 series of games would mean these pampered athletes potentially flying from coast to coast to coast if needed. That Ice Hockey players actually do so in a physically more demanding sport and pull it off, seems to be lost to the NBA big wigs.

Bar the Warriors/Mavs series, these playoffs were a complete bust. In fact the NBA season as a whole in 06/07 was crap...

Football couldn't arrive sooner. GO EAGLES !!!

You're fucking crazy!

The Warriors/Mavs Series was one of the best matchups ever in the playoffs. Plain and simple Baron Davis was the man and the underdog stepped up. How can you not love that?

Unless your a Dallas fan.:down:

You're fucking crazy!

The Warriors/Mavs Series was one of the best matchups ever in the playoffs. Plain and simple Baron Davis was the man and the underdog stepped up. How can you not love that?

he said aside from that series

The Warriors/Mavs Series was one of the best matchups ever in the playoffs.

Right, and that occurred in the first round. After the second round of the NBA playoffs this year, as soon as Phoenix/SA was over, you could turn off your TV. There was no other reason to watch.

The Cavaliers franchise would lose 30-50% of its value immediately.

That might be a conservative estimate.

I can solve some of the league's balance problems, get Kobe to the East, say Chicago, get KG to the east, say NY or Toronto. Get Kidd to the Cavs.

But there are fundamental problems with this league that are really hard to solve and, worse, problems I'm not sure the league is interested in solving.

You're fucking crazy!

Dude, I said aside from the Mavs/Warriors series...:spank:

these trade ideas are actually very good JP.

Hey, thanks, Satyr.

Wait, shouldn't you still be drunk celebrating the win last night?

=)

I don't have a link on the official #'s, but I remember reading that this was in fact the lowest rating NBA Finals ever.

Pretty sad considering it's hard to get much better than this. You have a 22 y/o superstar phenom. You have already one of the greatest at his position all-time in Duncan. And you have (quite possibly when their run is over) one of the best teams in the history of the game.

Back