US Open Thread

Robredo is one heck of a player coming up with the W in that match....too much consistency and variation in his play for Kygrios.

king, the interesting thing was in the second set when Kygrios was was up I think 2-0 or just before Tommy broke him, he was -6.5. As soon as Tommy broke him, Robredo ML was 1.53 lol

TM:shake:

Look at these stats -

View attachment 36773

Aces vs. DF: Bencic -1 to Jankobitch's +1 = +2 Jankobitch
Winners: Bencic 15 to Jankobitch's 17 = +2 Jankobitch
UE's: Bencic 23 to Jankobitch's 18 = +5 Jankobitch

There's 9 more points/more than 2 games adv., and she still lost the set. I said before the French Open that until she lost her brother out of her coaching entourage, she was cooked against the better players. Got an easy -200 for Bencic live during the 2nd set.

I'm still in disbelief she lost that first set. I think she was up 6-5 and 40-15 and lost the point then lost the tiebreak. un fucking real.

Big bet on Makarova today. I have some -110, -115, and -120. Also grabbed -1.5 sets for +200. Honestly, can easily see this match going 3 sets but the +200 is worth a look.

ride or collide my man. Might be an all-Canada fade today if Makarova wins. just saying. Nishi looks great. Milos, not so much. Probably look to the over in that one too...

loads of units there P, the fact that Makarova is a slight fav is rather telling.
I've seen so many lines like this on the mens side one person seems to run away with it in the 1st set then give it right back in the 2nd.
think this is going to be a 3 setter.
All the best.

At this stage of her career, Bouchard seems to lack the ability to know when to brick-wall it. She's attack-attack-attack. She doesn't seem to recognise that on certain points it's her opponent who is in the position of having to force matters, and all she has to do to win the point is simply put the ball back in play and let the pressure mount on her opponent - let the pressure itself work for her and force her opponent's mistake. On so many big points for her opponents in the 2nd sets of her last 2 matches, she was the one taking the risks and forcing the issue. That speaks to a lack of in-play intelligence, let alone a lack of patience. In consequence of this, she wears herself out and pays the cumulative price. Great example of this from her last match: Z-Strycova had a 5-6 minute service game and Bouchard routinely saved GP after GP, but kept making errors (by forcing too much) at deuce to never give herself a shot at a BP. Strycova finally won the game, then Bouchard lost her next service game to love, a service game that was worse than any of the 3 she delivered up in losing that 2nd set in the Wimby final 6-0 to Kvitova. It was horrific. But is was completely down to how she sucked herself dry in the previous game by taking everything on her shoulders, rather than let the pressure work for her. If Makarova's coach is worth his paycheck, this is all shit that's been whispered into Makarova's ears and is something she's planning on exploiting.

The reason she made it past Z-Strycova despite this rather large failing, was I'd say down to Z-Strycova lacking the ability to hit winners unless she was at the net (the best thing she did short of being at the net was put in some excellent drop shots, and 1 which just clipped the top of the cord and fell back on her own side probably cost her her one real chance at taking the match). Bouchard in the end just outlasted her game, hit some crucial winners and ended up breaking her opponent mentally (with no small help on the latter count from that net cord). Makarova has the ability to hit winners (from) where Strycova did not.

I'll deal with this one live (at the time I made my previous post about backing Maka if Bouchard made the 4th, I had no idea whether live action would be the case. I'll always go with live over pre-match betting unless the odds just can't be passed up). I don't see Bouchard being hammered, I think there'll be at least 1 tight set and could easily be 3 sets. But the longer this one goes, the more it counts against the Canadian imo.

Last edited:
any opinions in here on Wawa/Robredo? I've ridden Robredo pretty hard this tournament (had a big bet on him vs. Kyrgios). Historically he's matched up very well vs. Wawa, but Wawa is finally maturing this year and I think it's his time to shine. I just can't lay the -220 to bet him SU, and -4 is a bit much for the side. over 40 might be the play for me.

Bouchard hasn't been the same since Wimbledon. Rumor was she had a knee injury after that. I don't know if its lingering or what.

I think the one thing we have to remember about her is she is still 20 years old. Not like we are talking about a 25 year old becoming great in a year.

I think she will steady the rest of the year and then that 2 months off from November-January will be good for her and we will see her come back strong and think she might win the AUssie

I think the biggest thing they will have to work on with her is get her serve back and also not worry about hitting winners right away. You are playing in the WTA where there are more Errors then winners. Don't need to go for the line every time.

I think the one thing we have to remember about her is she is still 20 years old. Not like we are talking about a 25 year old becoming great in a year.

That's fine. But the real greats of women's tennis are winning Slams by 20. They're old at 25. By 20 years of age Graf had won 6 Slams (added another 3 by age 21), Hingis had won 5 Slams (all she was ever going to win), Venus had won 2 (added another 2 by age 21) & Serena had won 1 (added another 3 by age 21). The modern game is geared towards player winning in their younger years, as opposed to the Navratilova/Evert era. While Serena's talent defies that notion, she's the rare exception. What has Venus does since forever? She won 2 Slams after age 25, none since 2008, and she's still considered one of the WTA's best. I think Bouchard is a future Slam winner, no doubt, but the longer the first one takes the arrive, the less of a long-term force she's going to be (unless she's one of the rare outliers who's a late bloomer).

That's fine. But the real greats of women's tennis are winning Slams by 20. They're old at 25. By 20 years of age Graf had won 6 Slams (added another 3 by age 21), Hingis had won 5 Slams (all she was ever going to win), Venus had won 2 (added another 2 by age 21) & Serena had won 1 (added another 3 by age 21). The modern game is geared towards player winning in their younger years, as opposed to the Navratilova/Evert era. While Serena's talent defies that notion, she's the rare exception. What has Venus does since forever? She won 2 Slams after age 25, none since 2008, and she's still considered one of the WTA's best. I think Bouchard is a future Slam winner, no doubt, but the longer the first one takes the arrive, the less of a long-term force she's going to be (unless she's one of the rare outliers who's a late bloomer).

While I understand your point, you just named the best women of all time. I don't Genie will ever be there with those names.

While I understand your point, you just named the best women of all time. I don't Genie will ever be there with those names.

I chose the names that came immediately to mind. Ignoring the all time greats: Tracy Austin won 2 by age 19 and never won another. Stosur won one at 21, doesn't look she has a prayer of winning another. Kuznetsova won one at 19, another at 24 and that'll be it, little question her time has passed. Unless you win one early on (my quick looking seems to tell me age 21 is some sort of benchmark), you're pushing uphill to manage a decent haul (3-4 titles) before you retire unless, again, you're one of those rare outliers (& you luck on the fact that when you come into your best when you're older, you don't run into a crop of great younger players).

it looked in to me all the way: as a linesperson you know a player has the ability to challenge, so unless it's clearly out, you keep your trap shut and let the point play out.

also, the commentators I'm listening to couldn't believe the call was made (they took issue with it as soon as it was made).

LMAO. I bet Tsonga pretty big +350 when it was 6-5, thought it'd force a tie break for sure I'd have hedge opps. Fucking scrub

Also BC, I think one thing against Genie is the season is catching up to her. Shes already played more matches this year than she did last year.

See that point right there is what Genie needs more. Not shoot for Winners just play defensive and let the other player make errors

Back