Time to post my bowl card so far

I honestly think he did not know it was a referee from the get go. I think as he noticed it was a referee, it was already too late. Just like a "targeting" play where you are already in motion and you cannot stop it.

I think as he recognized it was a referee it is why you see such a toned down wrist touch and push of the hands. He was probably ready to shove a NW player and then when realizing a referee backed it down.

Is any of it ok - nope. Is it ejection worthy....if he called that guy a cracker. I'm not outraged he was ejected by the way, just feel a flag would have sufficed.

Also, not taking responsibility and apologizing for what he did .. he probably never gets the benefit of the doubt from officials again. They rally around each other, I think. Much like D Green for the Golden State Warriors just won't get the benefit of the doubt (the entire rest of the team will) from officials, he may find himself less protected from officials going forward. Though he wasn't exactly protected on that play. It should have been a piling on penalty, particularly since he had already gone out of bounds.

If the ref had done his job to begin with and thrown the flag, Snell isn't upset to begin with.

Also, not taking responsibility and apologizing for what he did .. he probably never gets the benefit of the doubt from officials again. They rally around each other, I think. Much like D Green for the Golden State Warriors just won't get the benefit of the doubt (the entire rest of the team will) from officials, he may find himself less protected from officials going forward. Though he wasn't exactly protected on that play. It should have been a piling on penalty, particularly since he had already gone out of bounds.

If the ref had done his job to begin with and thrown the flag, Snell isn't upset to begin wit

If the ref had done his job to begin with and thrown the flag, Snell isn't upset to begin with.
The ref said after the game that Benny didn’t say anything to him. Benny is a great guy who plays with a lot of passion. He was upset and refused help up. Simple as that. Shouldn’t have been ejected.

The ref said after the game that Benny didn’t say anything to him. Benny is a great guy who plays with a lot of passion. He was upset and refused help up. Simple as that. Shouldn’t have been ejected.

Fair enough. I think there is room for disagreement on it and do see the other side of it. It is definitely a borderline type of thing.

I tend to side with what keeps the game in order, though. And I think one of the things college football and college in general is important for is the growing of young men into men. I think regardless of whether or not the ref should have ejected him, Snell should think about the decisions he made that led to the ejection.

In other words, if I go to the worst part of Las Vegas and start walking down the street counting hundred dollar bills as I go at 2 AM in the morning, I may think I don't deserve to be mugged. And I am right. But not deserving to be mugged doesn't mean I should make the bad decision to walk down the street at 2AM in the worst part of town counting hundred dollar bills. I would have to take responsibility at least for my bad decision that likely contributed to an unfair act against me.

I don't think he is a bad kid. But actions have ramifications.

I think a lot of refs realize the kid just got piled on and let that go. So it is borderline. I think he has to throw a flag. And I suppose he can just throw one for unsportsmanlike conduct and let it go at that.

Reasonable minds are going to disagree on the ejection. I don't hold it against anyone for differing on what they think the ref should have done. I hope no one holds it against me for thinking touching an official in that manner is technically an ejectionable offense.

You are definitely right and by the letter of that law the ejection is probably within his bounds. I guess it just seemed Bush League to me to eject him for pushing his hands away. If a player were to come up after a bad call and push that ref inn the torso to get his attention or something to that nature then sure eject his ass 100% of the time. I just did not think in the heat of the moment this was something that would warrant an ejection. I agree I thought he was going to throw an unsportsmanlike penalty which I thought would have been deserved. Also good point about the initial piling on penalty nocall.

Good points and well said. As a UK fan and student I actually have come into contact with Benny a few times. He is very polite and gives it his all. That’s what made his ejection worse to me. And then to hear that he didn’t say anything to the ref was just icing on the cake. Fortunately he will be back next season! Good luck today...

Good points and well said. As a UK fan and student I actually have come into contact with Benny a few times. He is very polite and gives it his all. That’s what made his ejection worse to me. And then to hear that he didn’t say anything to the ref was just icing on the cake. Fortunately he will be back next season! Good luck today...

Glad to hear he is a good kid.
When watching some of his press conference appearances this year, I got that impression and felt that he seemed fairly articulate/intelligent compared to a lot of us at that age. As a person who also got overly passionate when playing sports but was a fairly shy and unassuming guy off the playing surface, I can relate.

He will be one of the top drafted RBs when he comes out of college so enjoy him while he is there.

I’m the same way. I probably would’ve lost it after being ejected at that age, though. He handled the aftermath well. Should have a great season next year with an improved line and passing game around him. Looking forward to watching him on Sundays, too.

i thought the flag was bullshit. i think refs putting their hands on players is stupid unless they are breaking up a fight.

Sometimes you have to give a tip of the cap to a player performance. Miami did exactly what I had hoped defensively and Horni just had an amazing game. When I pictured how good he could play on his best day, it was less than this. So tip of the cap to him.

Ok ..... on to the 2018 bowl games.

Michigan minus the points - All the credit in the world to South Carolina for finding ways to win games. Early in the year they got some fortunate bounces and won games that they probably shouldn't. Over the course of the season, they beat one team that is currently in the Sagarin top 30, which was NCstate. The problem is that they were outgained 504 to 246 in that game. In fact, in aggregate for the season, the cocks were outgained by roughly 575 yards against FBS competition this year. If you look at their losses, it seems highly predictive that a lack of ability to run leads to problems for them.

Kentucky 54 yards
TAMU 23 yards
Georgia 43 yards
Clemson 81 yards

Michigan should be able to stop the run.

Secondly, I think that Michigan has the greatest benefit from the extra practices and I believe the QB has a lot of motivation to perform well in this game, in the event the transfer is immediately eligible next year.

Thirdly, Harbaugh is notorious for at least trying to cover the spread.

Most will remember the play against USC or some other big game odd decision he has made over the years that just so happen to coincide with the ATS. My favorite example is the 2008 SJSU game where Stanford rushed to the line of scrimmage to get a play off to score instead of taking a knee when sjsu was out of timeouts in a six point game. He risked losing the game outright on a fumble return td to cover the spread.

• 1st and Goal at SJSU 7
    (0:45 - 4th) Toby Gerhart rush for 5 yards to the SJSt 2.

• 2nd and Goal at SJSU 2
    (0:09 - 4th) Toby Gerhart rush for 2 yards for a TOUCHDOWN.

• (0:09 - 4th) Aaron Zagory extra point GOOD

At the end of the day, I think Michigan just completely shuts down the South Carolina offense and finds a way to punch in a few TDs with an improved offense. I think this game is important for Michigan to get momentum offensively heading into next season so I think we see a more aggressive play calling game from them. South Carolina Defense is tough but ther ewill be too many short fields for them.

I have talked about Auburn enough already, I would think.

The Auburn bet is my largest of bowl season and it is largely just based on the UCF advantages being completely offset by a bad situational/motivational spot for them. Simply put, I don't see how they can be motivated for this game, against this opponent. There isn't a ton more to this one.

The UGA-Oklahoma game under is a pace play. This game rates to have a very low number of plays compared to most matchups in the bowl season but has a total lined over 60. That is a majority of this one.

Maybe I will add thoughts to these later to show some of the inner workings of my decisions...obviously, I am not going into any deep analysis in these blurbs .. just giving the basic reason I like it.

Happy New Year everyone

I went ahead and played back a half unit on Clemson plus 3 (I had 1.5 units on bama at various numbers)

Happy New Year VK - appreciate you sharing your thoughts with us over the bowl season. I'm hoping to finish strong tomorrow and really do like Michigan as well.

ucf is plenty motivated. if they lose, it will be b/c auburn is superior, not because frost or ucf didn't care.

What did Richt flip his lid over?

Holding i guess. That he all of sudden realized he is not a young man anymore. He looked like curmudgeon and a man losing his vitality. Dont get me wrong, outside this episode he is a leader of men. He just got real old looking to me during this game.

Favorite one for me was the give the receiver a wedgie and then intercept it.

They tried that shit on me 9th grade at Fairfield train station. Heading to an all boy prep school for first time. They thought they would wedgie freshman. Its hard to wedgie me when i throw a full can of coke at your face. Needless to say, i didnt last long at fairfield prep. When I was 13 i could throw fast and accurate. Take down a wanna be, soft yuppie in a second. BTW, fuck Connecticut.

ADD

2H Auburn -7

Basically think the illuminati don't want to render the playoffs meaningless, which a UCF win does. I look for Auburn to get a lot of calls to go their way in the 2h and they find a way to win.

I went through my games and I had considerably more good luck than bad luck. I think USC vs TOSU was probably my only major super unlucky game and the Troy/unt game under was probably the next closest. Odd for bowl season... meanwhile I had some good luck with an over in the Iowa/BC game that had no business getting there, And got lucky with the under in the nw/uk game, where NW lost their best offensive player to injury, kentucky lost their best offensive player to ejection and at the end, instead of kicking a game tying extra pt, Kentucky went for two.

All in all, more good luck than bad and it was a fun bowl season. Sour last day though on many levels, particularly the heavy investment I had in Auburn. UCF wasn't flat, neither was Auburn (sans QB). UCF proved they were the better team. If they played next week, I would make them the favorite.

On the same subject, UCF is the national champion in my mind, Good luck arguing against it given they just beat the team that knocked off both the final game participants.

No play in that game, so see you next year.

They will get some radio time and some coverage so I hope it shakes the foundation. The point you made that always stuck with me is the greatest college sport in cfb is the one that has never had a true champion. There is no reason to have a committee, such a bogus situation to control outcomes. I would rather the BCS computer tell us who goes in than a group of humans that have very obvious biases. I do not give one single flying fuck about people who use the argument of tv coverage if certain teams were to make it, or if the game would be good. Almost any matchup there would have been an exciting game with UCF, and every single person would have watched it no matter who was in it because it is the CFP semis. I have a hard time seeing these people relinquish any control they have, but maybe the system would expand. I would rather see the mid majors go into a bracket of their own if we are not going to take them seriously.

UCF looked like they were having fun over there on the sidelines and they deserve to be at the table with any of these other teams, and that is with the comments from people earlier in the year that UCF is not even as good as previous undefeated mid majors even if CFB as a whole is down this year. Bama lost their game and should have lost their chance, but as biased humans the committee was obviously going to put them in. It was either Ohio St or Alabama, UCF was not even close to that discussion and honestly there was a chance with an 8 team playoff they may have not been chosen on an at large bid with how the committee ranked them to close the year.

Great job this year and thanks for the thoughts. Look forward to next season.

Beating auburn in an exhibition game isn’t the same as what they would’ve seen against Bama or GA in the playoffs. Auburn was a different team at home. And Georgia crushed Auburn when it counted. Not saying UCF didn’t belong but it’s hard to compare those games. Clemson was the only team that looked like they didn’t belong btw. Playoff should go to 8 but I honestly think GA or Bama would beat UCF handily.

They will get some radio time and some coverage so I hope it shakes the foundation. The point you made that always stuck with me is the greatest college sport in cfb is the one that has never had a true champion. There is no reason to have a committee, such a bogus situation to control outcomes. I would rather the BCS computer tell us who goes in than a group of humans that have very obvious biases. I do not give one single flying fuck about people who use the argument of tv coverage if certain teams were to make it, or if the game would be good. Almost any matchup there would have been an exciting game with UCF, and every single person would have watched it no matter who was in it because it is the CFP semis. I have a hard time seeing these people relinquish any control they have, but maybe the system would expand. I would rather see the mid majors go into a bracket of their own if we are not going to take them seriously.

UCF looked like they were having fun over there on the sidelines and they deserve to be at the table with any of these other teams, and that is with the comments from people earlier in the year that UCF is not even as good as previous undefeated mid majors even if CFB as a whole is down this year. Bama lost their game and should have lost their chance, but as biased humans the committee was obviously going to put them in. It was either Ohio St or Alabama, UCF was not even close to that discussion and honestly there was a chance with an 8 team playoff they may have not been chosen on an at large bid with how the committee ranked them to close the year.

Great job this year and thanks for the thoughts. Look forward to next season.

The BCS worked great until it gave us a result we didn't want. Thus the committee. Now that they have given us (college football fans as a whole, I'm quite pleased with their decision) another result we don't like, I wonder how long before there's a change?

For example, Clemson beat auburn this year and Alabama just dominated them. Bama is a different team in playoff/title games. Their record speaks for itself. I’d like to see Georgia win, though.

The BCS worked great until it gave us a result we didn't want. Thus the committee. Now that they have given us (college football fans as a whole, I'm quite pleased with their decision) another result we don't like, I wonder how long before there's a change?
Only reason people don’t like it is because it’s an all SEC final. The anti SEC crowd conveniently skips over the fact the SEC teams both won yesterday. Alabama won decisively. UCF is the only team with a gripe. But to compare beating a half hearted Auburn team to losing to Auburn in Auburn when they were going full speed is crazy to me. Just look at what Georgia did to Auburn in the SEC Title game.

The argument that it's a different team that beat Bama or uga is such a cop out argument. They are the same team. Same jerseys right? Same coach right? How was that a half hearted Aubbie team? Ucf looked to be the better team on the field. Classifying it as anything other than that is diminishing what they accomplished before the conversation even starts. Every team in football has injuries or has home and away concerns. UCF maybe did not face as tough of a schedule as most, still harder than Bama, but they had to put up with the media and a ton of BS all season long as well.

Name the other sport where you go undefeated and are not the champion.

It would be like Huck Seed buying into the WSOP, winning all the chips, receiving a gift bag for his efforts, and then seating better players at a table to compete for the title. It doesn't matter that Huck Seed sucks at poker, it matters that he actually won the tournament.

And i think all 4 playoff teams whip the pants off UCF ....just like I thought Memphis and Auburn would.

The argument that it's a different team that beat Bama or uga is such a cop out argument. They are the same team. Same jerseys right? Same coach right? How was that a half hearted Aubbie team? Ucf looked to be the better team on the field. Classifying it as anything other than that is diminishing what they accomplished before the conversation even starts. Every team in football has injuries or has home and away concerns. UCF maybe did not face as tough of a schedule as most, still harder than Bama, but they had to put up with the media and a ton of BS all season long as well.

I think you have to take everything at face value. Anything else gets too messy and convoluted.

Got to find a way to let a Group of Rest team in.....I get it. And I think it should happen. Until then, really now what needs to happen is this :

university of houston football schedule 2016

gonna have to schedule heavy....U of H rips that schedule and they get in the playoff......simple as that

Kinda like the ND situation......where is their guarantee to get in? Now, their schedule is usually tops, but still....

As long as their is a "committee" it's a beauty contest......did anyone think they got the 4 teams wrong, honestly? Put the results behind us......just curious what many think

Got to find a way to let a Group of Rest team in.....I get it. And I think it should happen. Until then, really now what needs to happen is this :

university of houston football schedule 2016

gonna have to schedule heavy....U of H rips that schedule and they get in the playoff......simple as that

Kinda like the ND situation......where is their guarantee to get in? Now, their schedule is usually tops, but still....

As long as their is a "committee" it's a beauty contest......did anyone think they got the 4 teams wrong, honestly? Put the results behind us......just curious what many think

Of course they got them wrong .. .there is a non-division winner in the final four teams. By definition that is wrong to me.
I have a feeling you meant to ask whether anyone thinks the four teams that were in the playoffs are the four best teams or not.

Based on how others view the bowls it is impossible to say.

Meaning, TOSU being outplayed by USC ... was that USC being better than TOSU, or was it TOSU being in an "exhibition" like Auburn? And depending on which way you view that game, was TOSU or USC snubbed? Based on Clemson getting destroyed, does that mean they weren't really the fourth best team? Or was Bama just a bad matchup? Or did Clemson just have a bad game?

And there in lies the problem ... with this system, all we can do is guess, except that our guesses immediately begin by eliminating about half the teams in FBS from being eligible. It's the most fucking stupid thing in all of sports and that is saying something.

While I think UCF is a shell of most of the best non-power5 schools at year end over the last fifteen years or so... what I like about this year is that there isn't a huge SOS difference between Bama and UCF .. there is one .... but it isn't significant to the degree that it should come close to being an eliminating factor when comparing the two resumes.

We need objective measures like every other sport.

You know where I stand. I just don't think crowning an official champion is important.

Back