Time to post my bowl card so far

I would be ok adding 1 more game.
1 Clemson & 2 Jorga BYE
3 Oklahoma vs 6 UCF
4 Bama vs 5 tOsu

Face value: Undefeated > 1 Loss

Exactly. But we’ll never have that type of system in college football. You can argue that the schedules/conferences are imbalanced, too few games, etc, but deep down, that’s not what people (most people) want to watch. Fans want a b-ball final 4 with UNC, Duke, Kentucky, Kansas, etc. They want to watch blue bloods against blue bloods. It’s not fair, but it’s never been about being fair and it never will be. It’s a dead end debate imo

Exactly. But we’ll never have that type of system in college football. You can argue that the schedules/conferences are imbalanced, too few games, etc, but deep down, that’s not what people (most people) want to watch. Fans want a b-ball final 4 with UNC, Duke, Kentucky, Kansas, etc. They want to watch blue bloods against blue bloods. It’s not fair, but it’s never been about being fair and it never will be. It’s a dead end debate imo

Part is of the appeal of March madness is the Cinderella story

I just don't think we should award playoff spots based on ratings. I understand that we DO that ..
I just don't think we should.

I am not sure if it is the morality of it that bothers me the most (I find it lacking in morality) or the fact that as someone who has spent his whole life either competing in sports or watching it that it just feels like the antithesis of what sports is. It is literally the antithesis of sport.

And where we do have sports that use the subjective measure, this is what you get ... olympic judges of figure skating and gymnastics, Boxing judges, and Beauty pageant judges. In every case, it is a joke what they do.

I also think it is unfair to the players who win believe it or not. I mean ... they aren't true champions. That has to suck. I suppose most think they are so maybe it isn't a big deal to them but were it me .. I would want the objective measure to say "We were the champions that year", rather than "I went to a program that more people want to watch and that generates more money, so I won a championship even though UCF deserved to be there instead of me". That would suck for me if I was on that team. Again, I realize that probably isn't the case for most of the players who won't look at it objectively or who think they would have won anyway so are willing to look the other way ... but I think it is unfair to Clemson from last year that I don't get to consider them a true champion ... I can consider them a worthy champion, which I do .... but not a true champion.

I think I have sort of laid out my beliefs about this for the better part of a decade here and like you, gps... I don't see it being solved anytime soon. I it is my favorite sport regardless. Beating a dead horse isn't gonna do much.

Even prior to the Auburn win, there was only 26 (25 after the games the other day) teams of separation between UCF and Alabama as far as strength of schedule was concerned and that would be even closer had the Georgia Tech game not been canceled due to the hurricane (which may have cost GT a bowl bid too).

Is a 26 team variance enough to over look the 1 loss difference? Apparently it is if you are Alabama vs UCF. But apparently it isn't if you are Ohio State vs Alabama (where there was a much larger disparity in strength of schedule).

UCF won its division, Bama did not
UCF won its conference, Bama did not
UCF had 1 less loss than Bama
Bama has 25 teams of separation on strength of schedule per Sagarin

Ohio State won its division, Bama did not
Ohio State won its conference, Bama did not
Bama had 1 less loss than Ohio State
Ohio State has 35 teams of separation on strength of schedule per Sagarin.

So what measure did they use to decide that strength of schedule was worth an extra loss? If 25 teams of separation in schedule strength is enough to take a non division winner and leap them above a conference champion when they have an extra loss, why isn't 35 teams of separation in schedule strength enough to take a power5 conference winner and leap them above a non-division winner when they have an extra loss?

CFB can't do what CBB does

Y'all know that right?

I am all,for letting a "group of 5" guy in......but it has to happen in a way that is justified. I gave the case up top froma few years ago....that team couldn't do it

They can do what they want

As much validation as Kentucky claiming one....ole miss claiming one

The key here is who deems anything valid in the first place. It's subjective whether you take the crystal ball home or not. Subjective sport deserves subjective actions.

if you can't see the fuck job that went on from the committee this year, then i don't know what to tell you. it was called out on this very forum repeatedly where they propped up certain teams to make other teams who they wanted ahead of UCF to look better.

CFB can't do what CBB does

Y'all know that right?

I am all,for letting a "group of 5" guy in......but it has to happen in a way that is justified. I gave the case up top froma few years ago....that team couldn't do it

being the only unbeaten team in the country isn't justification enough?

Correction to your earlier post. ??
It was tOSU that had two losses, I believe Alabama lost only to Auburn.

Not meant to dispute your position that UCF was the more deserving.

Correction to your earlier post. ??
It was tOSU that had two losses, I believe Alabama lost only to Auburn.

Not meant to dispute your position that UCF was the more deserving.

That is what i am saying

Bama has 1 less loss than ohio state
Ucf has 1 less loss than bama

Per Sagarin strength of schedule there is a wider disparity in strength of schedule by number of teams between them, between ohio state and alabama (to ohio states favor) than there is between bama and ucf (in bamas favor)

A person really cannot make a good argument for strength of schedule allowing bama to usurp the undefeated ucf without making the same argument for ohio state to usurp bama.

And that doesn't even take into account that ohio state won their division and won their conference.

Ballgame

And yes I know Bama is likely the best team out there. But since when was that criteria in any sport for a ship other than NBA

Yes. I think bama is the best team too. I also thought auburn would roll ucf ....and memphis for that matter ...

That is why they play the actual game and why we struggle to go even 53% on the we feel MOST strong about. And i guarantee you the halfwitted gambler knows more about team strength than most of these committee members, let alone the gambler who is breaking even or better.

Ohio state also had a higher quality best win and a higher quality best loss.

And if we are going to sit back and give auburn a pass (i played them on spot) because we think maybe the situation was bad for them, then lets throw out the iowa game.

And for ucf lets throw out the ....oh ..oh my ..lets throw out ...well, shit there isn't a game to throw out

Basically bama has 2 things they can point to:

1. Tosu lost 1 more game than they did
2. Because i say so

I also want to point out that if we are going to blame tosu for a horrific loss then why can't we point to syracuse?

And ucf had to endure a hurricane and had a coach moving to another school. They had plenty of adversity but won anyway.

Guess I should throw in all soccer except for US as well given that every team plays every other team in their division home and away to determine a champ, best team wins there.

Reality is as you mentioned it's beating a dead horse. UCF started the season w/o a chance to win it, and even if they won the canceled game against GT 44-10 how much different would it really be?

I want a WWE scenario where UCF players are hiding in the tunnel after the trophy presentation, and while the presentation of the trophy is taking place, Frost comes over the PA with mic in hand, Undefeated Championship belt over his shoulder...team fully dressed behind him as he starts talking shit, the team walks out...challenging the winner right there, right now. hahaha

Ok....and I get it guys. Trust me I do.

A couple things to Kyle, KJ and Cub:

What is the fix.....each of y'all , tell me what is to be done...I'm all ears. And you all KNOW my steez...I credit (AND so should YALL!!!!) the Tulane team that went undefeated in the late 90's(98-99) for getting these Group of 5 teams even a chance( HATE the term "group of 5").

Kyle has addressed it before, but what do you all make of the Houston team from a few years back?

They ABSOLUTELY get in if they run that schedule.....agree? So let's not say they don't ever have a chance..ever.
But , again, I get the premise and I GET that we have a quagmire wrapped in an enigma.....what to do?

Have to make this realistic too....

You schedule years in advance, how can you predict the strength of schedule?

I can't offer a great answer, maybe ProV is spot on. No need for 8 teams, 6 I guess but the concept that fan bases can travel to three bowl games is ludicrous, so maybe a home game round 1?

Common sense says the BCS was perfectly fine all along imo but I've said that from day one. Why we need a fucking playoff is just so unintelligent.

Whatever they are doing now is worse than I ever remember it. Fun, yes. Ridiculous, more yes.

Even worse is the Monday ship game, I've forgotten it several times that day. Guarantee it will be priority 10 if not higher next Monday...almost forgot the UT/USC game that year. It's Monday...after we been drilled with daily games forever. This year, it's two SEC teams in Atlanta...fortunately y'all will remind me at some point.

Ok....and I get it guys. Trust me I do.

A couple things to Kyle, KJ and Cub:

What is the fix.....each of y'all , tell me what is to be done...I'm all ears. And you all KNOW my steez...I credit (AND so should YALL!!!!) the Tulane team that went undefeated in the late 90's(98-99) for getting these Group of 5 teams even a chance( HATE the term "group of 5").

Kyle has addressed it before, but what do you all make of the Houston team from a few years back?

They ABSOLUTELY get in if they run that schedule.....agree? So let's not say they don't ever have a chance..ever.
But , again, I get the premise and I GET that we have a quagmire wrapped in an enigma.....what to do?

Have to make this realistic too....

The fix is simple - 8 conferences (8 x 16 teams) with the 8 champs playing off. Quarters before Christmas, semis on New Years, final week later. Opponents are drawn out of a hat, no need for committees or anything subjective. Let the game decide the champion, not vested interests sitting in a hotel conference room.

8 teams would require a home game in the first round

Who in their right mind would spend money on going to three straight bowl games? Life>CFB, I know that's very shocking

Bring back the BCS NOW please

It will forever be subjective, at least that one was fun...this one is over after the semis

I say pick the four best teams from the MW, CUSA, AAC, Sunbelt and MAC. Then thw remaining teams can play in bowl games against eachother and the also-rans from the five conferences I listed. Though if the power5 schools beat those teams in the bowl it will probably because they weren't motivated.

8 conferences, 8 champions. It is one extra week of play only (fcs can do it) so it is easily doable, it is objective, and it is equality of opportunity. It would also serve a nice purpose of eventually leading to greater parity across the conferences.

Not opposed to first round home games so long as it is random. There should also be no seeding. That should be random as well.

But the i conferences, 8 champions is the necessity. Even if you stack the deck against the small schools from there, at least they have the chance.

8 teams would require a home game in the first round

Who in their right mind would spend money on going to three straight bowl games? Life>CFB, I know that's very shocking

Bring back the BCS NOW please

It will forever be subjective, at least that one was fun...this one is over after the semis

BCS would have had same 4 teams as the committee. But I agree that the BCS expanded to 4 teams is probably better. But like I mentioned earlier, the BCS was the most objective measure we've had, but in 2011 it gave a result that people didn't want, so they burned the whole thing down, even though it was an anomaly. But BCS expanded to 4 teams would give the most deserving G of 5 teams a chance. I think Utah, TCU and maybe Boise all had a top 4 ranking at one time pre-bowl. It's not a true objective qualifying system, but it checks more of the boxes than most. I would argue that they would have to remove the coaches poll as part of the formula though. I think the AP would be better, but preferably all human polls would be removed

Reactions: KJ
The fix is simple - 8 conferences (8 x 16 teams) with the 8 champs playing off. Quarters before Christmas, semis on New Years, final week later. Opponents are drawn out of a hat, no need for committees or anything subjective. Let the game decide the champion, not vested interests sitting in a hotel conference room.
Don't these kids have exams and shit?

I know people forget about that, but they do go to school

Sorry to bring that part up, let us stay the course here........but I am sure that factors in

Sorry to bring that part up, let us stay the course here........but I am sure that factors in
The ones on the midmajors go to school anyway......

Shorten the regular season by a game then. If that is the concern. Drop the fcs game ...

BCS would have had same 4 teams as the committee. But I agree that the BCS expanded to 4 teams is probably better. But like I mentioned earlier, the BCS was the most objective measure we've had, but in 2011 it gave a result that people didn't want, so they burned the whole thing down, even though it was an anomaly. But BCS expanded to 4 teams would give the most deserving G of 5 teams a chance. I think Utah, TCU and maybe Boise all had a top 4 ranking at one time pre-bowl. It's not a true objective qualifying system, but it checks more of the boxes than most. I would argue that they would have to remove the coaches poll as part of the formula though. I think the AP would be better, but preferably all human polls would be removed
Didn't someone post what the BCS Final Rankings would have been this year?
Maybe I saw it on Twitter?
I will do some research and post. I am curious what UCF BCS Rank would have been. Top 5 maybe?

The only reason UCF was down in the BCS ranking model is because of the 2/3 weight in the human polls which had them down. The computer avg had UCF avg right there with Ohio St and Alabama.

Back