Thursday NBA Playoffs Discussion

JJ77

Pretty much a regular
<TABLE cellSpacing=1 width=540 bgColor=#cccccc><TBODY><TR><TD class=dataheader width=540 colSpan=10>NBA PLAYOFFS - FIRST ROUND
Thursday, April 23rd (LAL 2-0, BOS/CHI, SAN/DAL 1-1)</TD></TR><TR><TD class=datasubheaderleft2 width=35>Time</TD><TD class=datasubheader width=40>Gm #</TD><TD class=datasubheader width=120>Team</TD><TD class=datasubheader width=75>Score</TD><TD class=datasubheader width=60>Opener</TD><TD class=datasubheader width=60>Hilton</TD><TD class=datasubheader width=60>5Dimes</TD><TD class=datasubheader width=60>ABC Island</TD></TR><TR class=scores-whitebg><TD class=scores-whitebg-left>04/23
5:05p</TD><TD class=scores-whitebg>507
508</TD><TD class=scores-whitebg-team> BOSTON
CHICAGO</TD><TD class=scores-whitebg-team><TABLE padding-left="5"><TBODY><TR><TD class=scores-whitebg-team-bb>
</TD><TD> </TD><TD class=scores-whitebg-team-bb>
</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD><TD class=scores-whitebg-right>199
</TD><TD class=scores-whitebg-right>201
2½ </TD><TD class=scores-whitebg-right>200½
2½ </TD><TD class=scores-whitebg-right>201
2½ </TD></TR><TR class=scores-greybg><TD class=scores-greybg-left>04/23
5:35p</TD><TD class=scores-greybg>509
510</TD><TD class=scores-greybg-team> SAN ANTONIO
DALLAS</TD><TD class=scores-greybg-team><TABLE padding-left="5"><TBODY><TR><TD class=scores-greybg-team-bb>
</TD><TD> </TD><TD class=scores-greybg-team-bb>
</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD><TD class=scores-greybg-right>189
</TD><TD class=scores-greybg-right>190
4½ </TD><TD class=scores-greybg-right>190
4½ </TD><TD class=scores-greybg-right>190
4½ </TD></TR><TR class=scores-whitebg><TD class=scores-whitebg-left>04/23
7:35p</TD><TD class=scores-whitebg>511
512</TD><TD class=scores-whitebg-team> LA LAKERS
UTAH</TD><TD class=scores-whitebg-team><TABLE padding-left="5"><TBODY><TR><TD class=scores-whitebg-team-bb>
</TD><TD> </TD><TD class=scores-whitebg-team-bb>
</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD><TD class=scores-whitebg-right>3
</TD><TD class=scores-whitebg-right>2
214½ </TD><TD class=scores-whitebg-right>1½
214 </TD><TD class=scores-whitebg-right>1½
214½ </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Last edited by a moderator:
hate to say it but i'm in love with the road teams, BOS and LAL tomorrow.

...not sure i can play both but those are damn tempting and i bet AT LEAST 1 hits

...also like the BOS o201

if u guys really want to win, have me look at the lines, make my picks, and fade away. I bet my lifetime NBA record is around 25%

I struggle to believe, with BOS's latest injury loss, that CHC doesn't win at least 1 of their 2 games at home.

Agree, If Chic/Utah are gonna win another game or in Utah's case, a game, it will be game 3. Game 3s are the turning points in the playoffs. If either of these teams wish to have a chance, they will fight hard in game 3.

Mavs will win the series imo meaning they win tonight but the games may be so close that I don't want to mess with it. I have Mavs +115 on the series pending and am content with that.

Bulls will get this one (perhaps series as well??) and I also feel Kobe and co. Don't want this to become a series which means they win game 3. Utah's only hope is that la takes nite off and I think they will be motivated by not wanting to play more games than Cavs before the nba finals that we all know is inevitable :)

MAVS

Not even the great J.J. Barea could stop Tony Parker in Game 2.
The Dallas Mavericks' coaching staff seems to believe Barea must play a prominent role at point guard to give the Mavs their best chance to win, something that doesn't seem to be a great sign for Dallas.
After a late first-half push to close a 21-point deficit to 11 at halftime, Barea even started the second half in place of Antoine Wright. For a portion of the third quarter, Jason Kidd deferred possession to Barea to quicken the team's offensive pulse, as he did in Game 1, against the Spurs' aggressively stepped-up defensive effort.
Parker, who matched the Mavs with 19 points in the first quarter, and the Spurs weren't fooling around.
Now the Mavs head back to Dallas tied 1-1 and wondering what they're going to get from their veteran point guard in Thursday's Game 3. Dallas reserves Barea and Brandon Bass led the comeback in the Game 1 victory, saving a quiet outing from Kidd, who struggled with a stomach issue.
No one led anything in Game 2. Kidd had 14 points at the end of the third quarter. However, his two assists and three rebounds told more of the story of why the Spurs led 85-63 entering the final quarter.
The Mavs' offense never clicked and Kidd's few rebounds took away the prime trigger for their transition game. His low assist total (five) went hand-in-hand with Dirk Nowitzki's (3-for-14 shooting) and Jason Terry's (6-for-15) cold nights from the floor.
Meanwhile, Parker rode roughshod for 38 points, his third game of 37 or more in now six games against the Mavs this season.
If the Mavs can't stop Parker, and apparently they can't, then Kidd, the orchestrator of the Mavs' offense and in some ways their defense, too, must lead the Mavs with much more fire.
The reserves received their acclaim for snatching Game 1. If the Mavs have plans to advance out of the first round for the first time since 2006, they'll need their stars to play like stars.
SPURS 105, MAVERICKS 84: Josh Howard couldn't replicate his 25 points in Game 1 as he scored just seven points in 30 minutes in Game 2. Dirk Nowitzki joined him with a cold night, going 3-of-14 from the field for 14 points. Jason Terry had a team-high 16, but didn't heat up until the game was all but over. Tony Parker dominated with 19 of his game-high 38 points coming in the first quarter. When the Mavs made a run late in the second quarter and early in the third quarter, the Spurs never panicked this time and held the Mavs to 40.3 shooting. Tim Duncan had 13 points. Drew Gooden came off the bench for a helpful 13 points on 6-of-9 shooting.
NOTES, QUOTES
—Why should the Mavericks be concerned? The Spurs lost their first playoff game in 2003, 2005 and 2007 and went on to claim titles in all three seasons.
—Dallas led 1-0 in Game 2 and then never led again, trailing by as many as 21 points in the first half.
—The Spurs benefited from a greater defensive effort, which was reflected on the boards. San Antonio grabbed 44 to Dallas' 28. After securing 10 offensive rebounds for 21 second-chance points in Game 1, the Mavs managed just five offensive boards in Game 2.
QUOTE TO NOTE: "They've got four banners in here? They're a championship-caliber team. They know what they're doing. You can't expect them to roll over and lay down." — Josh Howard, on what he expects from San Antonio the rest of the series.
ROSTER REPORT
ROTATION: Starters — Point guard Jason Kidd, Shooting guard Antoine Wright, Small forward Josh Howard, Power forward Dirk Nowitzki, Center Erick Dampier. Bench — Guard Jason Terry, Guard J.J. Barea, Forward Brandon Bass, Forward James Singleton, Center Ryan Hollins, Guard Gerald Green, Guard Matt Carroll.
PLAYER NOTES:
—G J.J. Barea found life more difficult in Game 2. After being the hero of Game 1, Barea managed just five points on 2-of-8 shooting in 23 minutes.
Barea did a decent job of slowing Tony Parker in the second half of Game 1, but Barea didn't get into the game until two minutes remained in the first quarter.
That's when Parker took a well-deserved seat having inflicted plenty of damage with 19 points, matching the Mavs' total output.
"That's what did it," Barea said of the Spurs' opening spurt. "They got their confidence going and got the crowd into the game."
Mavs coach Rick Carlisle now must decide if he'll have to go to Barea earlier in the game as seemingly the only hope to slow Parker.
—G Jason Terry didn't believe the Mavs' problems in Game 2 stemmed from the offensive side despite scoring just 84 points.
"We give up 23 first-quarter points to Tony Parker," Jason Terry said. Parker actually scored 19, but it probably felt like 40. "We have to hone in on him. He's the head of the snake. We have to make someone else beat us."
The Mavs have tried just about everyone on Parker, but to no avail. Parker practically lived in the lane in Game 2.
Terry's taken his share of licks.
"We have to meet the challenge," Terry said of defending Parker. "Me personally, I gave up three quick baskets."
—F Dirk Nowitzki is off to the kind of start that might rekindle talk of Dirk disappearing during the playoffs. He had a quiet Game 1 while in first-half foul trouble and in Game 2 he made just three field goals and scored 14 points.
He wasn't alone. Nowitzki, Jason Terry and Josh Howard combined to go 12 of 37 from the field.
Nowitzki faced a much more aggressive Spurs defense and he couldn't counter it. He tried to drive and he did get to the line nine times, making eight, but he had trouble getting open looks for much of the game.
"They were all over Dirk and we try to base our offense around him," Mavs forward Brandon Bass said. "We knew it was going to be tough and they gave us all they had."
MEDICAL WATCH:
—G-F Jerry Stackhouse (right heel) is out indefinitely.
—G/F Devean George (right knee) is out for the rest of the season.

SPURS

The Spurs weren't displeased with every facet of their Game 1 loss. They wanted to limit Dirk Nowitzki and Jason Kidd offensively, and Dallas' top two scorers combined for just 31 points. The Mavericks also struggled to get into their running game.
"Transition is a big part of their offensive arsenal," San Antonio swingman Michael Finley said, "and we limited a team that banks on transition to four points. So from that standpoint, that was a positive for us."
The Spurs also weren't surprised by the outputs of Dallas reserves J.J. Barea and Brandon Bass, who combined for 27 points. Josh Howard scored 25, Erick Dampier had a double-double and Antoine Wright was efficient in just 15 minutes.
"If you have seven of the nine guys in your rotation playing well, the odds of you winning that game are real good," Finley said. "Those guys have been playing well, and that's why they've had success.
"A lot of people know about Dirk and Jason Terry, but they forget about the production of their bench. That's the reason they've been on this winning streak before the playoffs and that's the reason they went from non-playoff team to a sixth seed."
SPURS 105, MAVERICKS 84: Tony Parker scored 38 points as San Antonio squared the Western Conference first-series at 1-1 with Monday night's home blowout. The best-of-seven series resumes after a two-day break Thursday at Dallas.
Parker made nine of his first 10 shots on this way to 19 first-quarter points, and the Spurs never looked back. He was up to 27 points at the half and was hardly needed in the fourth quarter.
Starting with the stellar defensive job done against Dirk Nowitzki and Jason Terry, the Mavericks were held to 40-percent shooting. The Spurs shot 53 percent and have five players in double-figures.
NOTES, QUOTES
—Two of the keys to the Game 1 loss were J.J. Barea and Dallas' offensive rebounding. Working the pick-and-roll with Dirk Nowitzki, Barea (as able to penetrate and finish. He presented some of the same problems Devin Harris did during the 2006 semifinals.
Even when Barea didn't score, he pulled Tim Duncan away from the basket, allowing a number of easy put-backs for Erick Dampier.
"You can't give up 21 points on the boards in the playoffs or regular season," Popovich said. "That makes it tough on your team.
"Barea got inside on us. It really gave them a boost doing that."
—Gregg Popovich was pleasantly surprised with former assistant Mike Brown was named Coach of the Year. Brown, who left San Antonio four years ago for Cleveland, led the Cavaliers to the best record in the league.
"Often times a guy with that record gets overlooked," Popovich said.
Popovich recruited Brown after following his work in Denver and Washington. The Spurs' coach also knew pretty quickly that Brown was a future head coach.
"It didn't take that long in the first preseason to realize he had a knack for getting the respect of players," Popovich said.
QUOTE TO NOTE: "He was aggressive both going to the hole and shooting the jump shot, and that always makes us a better team." — Coach Gregg Popovich, on Tony Parker scoring 38 points in Monday night's Game 2 victory.
ROSTER REPORT

ROTATION: Starters — Point guard Tony Parker, Shooting guard Roger Mason, Small forward Michael Finley, Power forward Tim Duncan, Center Matt Bonner. Bench — Forward Fabricio Oberto, Forward Ime Udoka, Forward Bruce Bowen, Forward Kurt Thomas, Guard George Hill, Guard Jacque Vaughn, Forward Drew Gooden.
PLAYER NOTES:
—G Tony Parker nearly single-handedly beat Dallas in Game 2 on Monday with 38 points and eight assists. He nailed 16-of-22 shots in 33 minutes, and fell three points shy of his playoff career high.
"I was just trying to be aggressive," Parker said. "It was a must win for us. Big game. I'm happy we won the game. We came out with a lot of energy and our defense was great (Monday night)."
—F Drew Gooden took a hard fall in the first half Monday, and had to be attended to by the team's trainer after he started to spit up blood. Gooden stayed in the game and scored 13 in 19 minutes off the bench.
He's expected to see team doctors Tuesday morning and said of the episode: "It was scary."
—F Kurt Thomas said the Spurs were still upbeat after falling in Game 1. After watching the film, the team found plenty of room for improvement.
"Guys feel we made too many mistakes out there," Thomas said. "Can't take anything away from the Mavericks. They played exceptionally well, they shot the ball extremely well and their guys coming off the bench, along with everyone else, they really played well."
MEDICAL WATCH:
—G Manu Ginobili (stress fracture) is out for the rest of the regular season and playoffs. Surgery won't be needed.
—C Ian Mahinmi (ankle surgery) is inactive. He had surgery Jan. 30 and was expected to miss 6-10 weeks.

<TABLE cellSpacing=1 width=540 bgColor=#cccccc><TBODY><TR><TD class=dataheader width=540 colSpan=10>NBA PLAYOFFS - FIRST ROUND
Thursday, April 23rd (LAL 2-0, BOS/CHI, SAN/DAL 1-1)
</TD></TR><TR><TD class=datasubheaderleft2 width=35>Time</TD><TD class=datasubheader width=40>Gm #</TD><TD class=datasubheader width=120>Team</TD><TD class=datasubheader width=75>Score</TD><TD class=datasubheader width=60>Opener</TD><TD class=datasubheader width=60>Hilton</TD><TD class=datasubheader width=60>5Dimes</TD><TD class=datasubheader width=60>ABC Island</TD></TR><TR class=scores-whitebg><TD class=scores-whitebg-left>04/23
5:05p
</TD><TD class=scores-whitebg>507
</TD><TD class=scores-whitebg-team>BOSTON
CHICAGO
</TD><TD class=scores-whitebg-team><TABLE padding-left="5"><TBODY><TR><TD class=scores-whitebg-team-bb>

</TD><TD></TD><TD class=scores-whitebg-team-bb>

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD><TD class=scores-whitebg-right>199

</TD><TD class=scores-whitebg-right>200½

</TD></TR><TR class=scores-greybg><TD class=scores-greybg-left>04/23
5:35p
</TD><TD class=scores-greybg>509
</TD><TD class=scores-greybg-team>SAN ANTONIO
DALLAS
</TD><TD class=scores-greybg-team><TABLE padding-left="5"><TBODY><TR><TD class=scores-greybg-team-bb>

</TD><TD></TD><TD class=scores-greybg-team-bb>

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD><TD class=scores-greybg-right>189

</TD></TR><TR class=scores-whitebg><TD class=scores-whitebg-left>04/23
7:35p
</TD><TD class=scores-whitebg>511
</TD><TD class=scores-whitebg-team>LA LAKERS
UTAH
</TD><TD class=scores-whitebg-team><TABLE padding-left="5"><TBODY><TR><TD class=scores-whitebg-team-bb>

</TD><TD></TD><TD class=scores-whitebg-team-bb>

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD><TD class=scores-whitebg-right>3
</TD><TD class=scores-whitebg-right>2
214½
</TD><TD class=scores-whitebg-right>1½
</TD><TD class=scores-whitebg-right>1½
214½
</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

great insight brah........once again this site is top notch.....:popcorn:

Celtics outrebounded the Bulls in Game 2 50-36, with a 21-8 advantage in offensive boards. All that amounted to the Celtics having a 32-12 advantage in second chance points.

That's an incredible disparity in numbers, how on earth did the Bulls even get close? Answer Ben Gordon having a night which a player can only dream of in a playoff game.

i'm thinking my Celtics fanhood (which isn't much truthfully) is getting in the way of objectivity here. I like BOS tonight but i'm not interested in playing road teams except for i guess the Lakers.

...i was hoping for a "cheap" price on the Lakers and i think i got it

Celtics outrebounded the Bulls in Game 2 50-36, with a 21-8 advantage in offensive boards. All that amounted to the Celtics having a 32-12 advantage in second chance points.

That's an incredible disparity in numbers, how on earth did the Bulls even get close? Answer Ben Gordon having a night which a player can only dream of in a playoff game.

numbers are skewed- all the boston offensive rebounds weren't hustle boards- the majority of them were off of blocks- ala Chicago's 14 blocks that game. I'd say around 12 of those blocks were blocked right back to the boston offense

on the stance of one team doing something last game that won't happen again this game- at first just watching the boxscore I thought boston did a decent job limiting Rose thanks to their adjustments. However, it was more Rose gettin 2 fouls in the 1st 3 minutes then kirk getting 3 fouls in the next 5 minutes. I highly doubt they allow that again

Ben Gordon was just as on fire as Ray Allen was. Team wise- 9-20 from 3 for Chicago vs 7-16 for Boston isn't huge in difference

The biggest thing going against Boston imo is their bench: Game 2: House -6, Moore -17, Marbury -15. Game 1: House -9, Powe -10, Marbury -4, Allen -9, Moore -6. I don't think you can expect Pierce and Allen to do esp well for their 3rd str8 game of 40 minutes, or Rondo to do well after his ankle swells up, flies, then plays 40 minutes playing derrick rose

Chicago is a good jump shooting team. Outside of rose, the whole team is basically shooters. They were able to knock them down in a hostile environment vs Boston's defense- don't see why to expect them to make any less at home. Something tells me Rose has another big game form the start and Chicago cruises..

was wondering the same thing

can't speak for him myself, but I'm pretty sure he's retired to bases for the summer. he was/is very good at making plays based on teams motivations/desires and that works much better during the regular season. have seen him posting some solid mlb stuff though. probably easiest to go ask him over there

Back