Thursday NBA Discussion/Thoughts

reNew Orleans

Clubbin' with Rasual Butler
NBA - Jan 31

NBA
THURSDAY, JANUARY 31ST

4:35 PM1 /31 /08
<table cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><thead><tr><td class="gNum">#</td><td class="gName">
</td><td class="gSpr">Spread</td><td class="gTot">Total</td><td class="gML">
</td></tr></thead><tbody><tr><td class="gNum">701</td><td class="gName">LA LAKERS</td><td class="gSpr lineChk"><input name="game" value="689437_3_0_7_-110_NBA" class="chkbox" type="checkbox">+7-110 </td><td class="gTot lineChk"><input name="game" value="689437_3_2_-197_-110_NBA" class="chkbox" type="checkbox">o197-110 </td><td class="gML lineChk">
</td></tr><tr><td class="gNum">702</td><td class="gName">DETROIT</td><td class="gSpr lineChk"><input name="game" value="689437_3_1_-7_-110_NBA" class="chkbox" type="checkbox">-7-110 </td><td class="gTot lineChk"><input name="game" value="689437_3_3_197_-110_NBA" class="chkbox" type="checkbox">u197-110 </td><td class="gML lineChk">
</td></tr></tbody></table>

5:05 PM1 /31 /08
<table cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><thead><tr><td class="gNum">#</td><td class="gName">
</td><td class="gSpr">
</td><td class="gTot">
</td><td class="gML">
</td></tr></thead><tbody><tr><td class="gNum">703</td><td class="gName">DALLAS</td><td class="gSpr lineChk">
</td><td class="gTot lineChk">
</td><td class="gML lineChk">
</td></tr><tr><td class="gNum">704</td><td class="gName">BOSTON</td><td class="gSpr lineChk">
</td><td class="gTot lineChk">
</td><td class="gML lineChk">

7:05 PM1 /31 /08
</td></tr></thead><tbody><tr><td class="gNum">705</td><td class="gName">CLEVELAND</td><td class="gSpr lineChk"><input name="game" value="689439_3_0_-3_-110_NBA" class="chkbox" type="checkbox">-3-110 </td><td class="gTot lineChk"><input name="game" value="689439_3_2_-196.5_-110_NBA" class="chkbox" type="checkbox">o196½-110 </td><td class="gML lineChk">
</td></tr><tr><td class="gNum">706</td><td class="gName">SEATTLE</td><td class="gSpr lineChk"><input name="game" value="689439_3_1_3_-110_NBA" class="chkbox" type="checkbox">+3-110 </td><td class="gTot lineChk"><input name="game" value="689439_3_3_196.5_-110_NBA" class="chkbox" type="checkbox">u196½-110 </td><td class="gML lineChk">

7:35 PM1 /31 /08
</td></tr></thead><tbody><tr><td class="gNum">707</td><td class="gName">SAN ANTONIO</td><td class="gSpr lineChk"><input name="game" value="689440_3_0_8_-110_NBA" class="chkbox" type="checkbox">+8-110 </td><td class="gTot lineChk"><input name="game" value="689440_3_2_-200_-110_NBA" class="chkbox" type="checkbox">o200-110 </td><td class="gML lineChk">
</td></tr><tr><td class="gNum">708</td><td class="gName">PHOENIX</td><td class="gSpr lineChk"><input name="game" value="689440_3_1_-8_-110_NBA" class="chkbox" type="checkbox">-8-110 </td><td class="gTot lineChk"><input name="game" value="689440_3_3_200_-110_NBA" class="chkbox" type="checkbox">u200-110</td></tr></tbody></table>

:cheers:

Detroit is going to be ATS winners of 3 of 4 after their matchup with the Lakers. Mark it down.

CLE might be the biggest trap game of the year. One of those games where people see the -3 and figure it's the same as SU. It's NOT. SEA playing with home confidence and CLE at the end of a tiny 3 game WC trip. Won't be surprised to see this game go to the last posession.

Give me the Spurs ML please. Still a championship team and they'll show up to play regardless of Parker being out. Vaughn vs. Nash is an unpleasent thought, but same situation earlier this year and the Suns won by 5 at SA. The game was decided at the FT line.

No real interest in the C's and Mavs

what a 4 game slate!

How can LAL/Det not be on TNT...oh well, doubleheader is still sick.

SA +8 for sure.

Thursday Thoughts

I am to lazt to start my own thread so I'll use the discussion threads to promote chatter like I did on Wed though no one noticed .

7:30 LAL @ DET:

Some HATE this word but I think it can be applied at times : PAYBACK! In the 1st meeting this year DET was in the middle of a Western swing and minus McDyess and Billups and Stuckey was still rehabbing. Pistons gave them all they could handle for 3 quarters up by 6 before LAL won the 4th period 41-23 . LA hasnt traveled well in the past to Det and hasnt looked good in any of the 3 road games since losing Bynum .

The short-handed Lakers open a nine-game road trip Thursday, trying to avoid a ninth consecutive road loss to the Central Division-leading Pistons. Los Angeles (28-15) will travel a total of 8,173 miles on this road swing, which spans 14 days and will take the team into the All-Star break.

Last win in DET Jan 2002 and have lost by avg of 15 pts per since. Wallace says the rough patch for DET was due to teams being GEEKED up for them. Well I am sure DET will be geeked up for Lakers here. Walton is questionable as well.

Play : Pistons -7.5 take it -7 if need be

8 PM on TNT Dallas @ Boston : Devin Harris and Stackhouse are OUT. KG and Jesus Shuttkesworth are gametime decisions.

Lets wait to see the LINE and chances of Boston playing there stars.

10 PM Cle @ Seattle

Cavs are shorthanded with two players OUT and had an incredible comeback @ Portland spurred by King James. Right now the Cavs go as far as LeBron takes them each night. What does he have left for Seattle?? Cavs only 3-6 SU on B2B. They have alrady stole wins @ LAL and @ Portland. Cle did have 2 days rest and no one besides Lebron played alot of minute and he is fine staistically on B2Bs. Since getting some players back I believe SEA is 4-1 ATS at home just defeating SA in an uninspiring win cause Parker was absent. Sonics are playing good ball and this hould be a challenge especially since SEA really doent have someone to guard King James.

Interested in seeing how the line and total move. You would think Sea tries to run but there offense hasnt done much lately. Not excited about this game at all ...

Spurs @ Suns: Right now with Parker and Barry out not only are they shorthanded but seemingly tired. This will be 4th in 6 days and 7th in 11 days with 3rd in 4 of the rodeo trip for a team filled of 35 year olds. . In last seasons meetings Pho was -6.5 in teh reg season and covered , -5 in the playoffs and covered and +3 when Amare and Diaw missed and PUSHED losing by 3. So while the number tends to look big it really doesnt seem so.

Suns really playing well at home of late and I get the feeling SA is limping in. They couldnt do anything when TD was sitting on the bench in Seattle ...

So right now looks like Det and Suns are my plays.....:cheers:

I'd have to see how Labrons ankle is before I capped the Seattle game.

Dallas @ Boston -- I lean Boston, but who knows, injuries, flus, game time decisions, oh my.

Not sure the line on the Suns, but I'll take anything reasonable. Might even take the U200. SA is playing awful ball, Manu is the only person who can create a shot.

Detroit is going to be ATS winners of 3 of 4 after their matchup with the Lakers. Mark it down.

CLE might be the biggest trap game of the year. One of those games where people see the -3 and figure it's the same as SU. It's NOT. SEA playing with home confidence and CLE at the end of a tiny 3 game WC trip. Won't be surprised to see this game go to the last posession.

Give me the Spurs ML please. Still a championship team and they'll show up to play regardless of Parker being out. Vaughn vs. Nash is an unpleasent thought, but same situation earlier this year and the Suns won by 5 at SA. The game was decided at the FT line.

No real interest in the C's and Mavs

Agree with Spurs whom now need to win after 3 straight losses. This is 1st time this season they have 3 losses and I don't see them losing this game so ML might be in play.

Detroit should be able to cover 7.5 early enough and finish the Lakers off. After I saw what SA did to them that 2nd half I feel the lakers are pathetic at this point. Detroit will take this as a big game so no worry for them to not try .

Cleveland screwed me whereas I needed Portland SU so i'm all ready to fade Lebron who could be in pain 2marrow against Sea whom has all the confidence in the world after beating SA. After Clev being dogged for 3 and now only faved for 3 is beyond my understanding as well.

BOL to the both of us.

10 PM Cle @ Seattle

Cavs are shorthanded with two players OUT and had an incredible comeback @ Portland spurred by King James. Right now the Cavs go as far as LeBron takes them each night. What does he have left for Seattle?? Cavs only 3-6 SU on B2B. They have alrady stole wins @ LAL and @ Portland. Cle did have 2 days rest and no one besides Lebron played alot of minute and he is fine staistically on B2Bs. Since getting some players back I believe SEA is 4-1 ATS at home just defeating SA in an uninspiring win cause Parker was absent. Sonics are playing good ball and this hould be a challenge especially since SEA really doent have someone to guard King James.

Interested in seeing how the line and total move. You would think Sea tries to run but there offense hasnt done much lately. Not excited about this game at all ...

There is ZERO reason for anybody to ever bet this game concerning the spread IMO. I've dug it up before, but not interested in looking it up again. Teams that beat the Spurs as big dogs tend to do absolutely horrible their next game. Problem is, as SportsNut said, the Cavs have gotten some good breaks down the stretch in their two wins on this roadie. It may happen again or it may not. Bottom line is you're going to have a very young Sonics team, who is still masturbating over their Spurs victory, playing a Cavs team that is potentially satisfied with their road trip playing shorthanded against an opponent they beat this month by nearly 20 points. If anything I could see both of these teams struggling to find the basket. If LB goes easy in this one it may go down as one of the least watchable games of the year.

Agree with Spurs whom now need to win after 3 straight losses. This is 1st time this season they have 3 losses and I don't see them losing this game so ML might be in play.

Detroit should be able to cover 7.5 early enough and finish the Lakers off. After I saw what SA did to them that 2nd half I feel the lakers are pathetic at this point. Detroit will take this as a big game so no worry for them to not try .

Cleveland screwed me whereas I needed Portland SU so i'm all ready to fade Lebron who could be in pain 2marrow against Sea whom has all the confidence in the world after beating SA. After Clev being dogged for 3 and now only faved for 3 is beyond my understanding as well.

BOL to the both of us.

I say Spurs ML with a bit of a smirk on my face. Will I be betting the Spurs ML? I'd say it's possible. Would it be for anything more than a couple lunches at Subway? Not likely. Just feels like one of those games where SA shows up where they shouldn't and gives everybody a pause as to who the leader of the West is. Beyond that the game is unbettable to me. Not a situation we've seen the Spurs in recently and very difficult to gauge how they react. The Suns on the other hand have done exactly what the Suns do. Beat the piss out of decent to mediocre teams.

If you look at the Suns home schedule they've beat up on bad teams.

Beat ATL by 33
Beat Jersey by 24
Beat Minny by 20
Beat MLW by 8
Beat Indy in OT by 7 (No O'Neal which benefits the Pacers)
Beat Denver by 22 (Denver was on a 4/5 and had no chance)
Lost to NOH by 5
Beat SEA by 8
Beat LAC by 6
Beat TOR by 19 (4/5 again for TOR)
Beat UTA by 5
Lost to MIA 4 (I lost money on this one :()
Beat ORL by 4
Lost to HOU by 6

So out of all those home games I'd say you can consider Denver, New Orleans, Utah, Orlando, Toronto, and Houston as "good" opponents. With Denver and Toronto being on 4/5's it's a bit easier to dismiss those blowouts. SAN playing their 4/6 is pretty similar ecspecially with the injury factor as Ginobli and Duncan are both being asked to carry the scoring load. I suppose the point of my ramble is that I still have large doubts about the Suns. They seem to let good teams hang around for longer than they should. Not sure if it's the coaching philosophy of letting Nash rest as long as possible until things look in doubt or what, but they've failed to put away from good WC teams at home all year. Best example would be December 12th against the Jazz, who were without Okur and playing a 4/6 which is the exact same spot the Spurs are in.

JPICKS I beleive that what you said gives more reason to backing the Sonics b/c the Cavs already rocked the sonics, so why be all amped up for this game? Lebron is gonna be ailing in some pain 2marrow even though he made it through 2nite. It was on ESPN + against an up and coming team in Portland who seemed unstoppable. I for 1 am loving this line b/c in my opinion it's justified to take in Cavs backers as was last night's game on Portland backers.

No offense to you man ( and I really mean that) but at this point in LB's career, or any other superstar for that matter, I'm not sure being on ESPN really matters much to these guys. I really don't have an opinion to a side in this game. I do know teams were something like 3-11 ATS after beating the Spurs SU last year as decent sized dogs. Consider the fact that the Sonics biggest win this year was at home against the Raptors before beating the Spurs. The playoffs are a dream for these guys and the win over the Spurs could easily be considered the "highlight" of their season. They also are going to be searching for motivation in this one regardless if it's a team that kicked their ass so recently. They're used to getting their asses handed to them and minus LB this is just another opponent.

Wow, to you guys considering the Spurs.. have you seen them play without Parker? I think evaluating the game solely on the losing streak is a mistake. They're awful, due for a win or not. Nobody can create a shot.

It's the fact they won the championship last year... everyone knows they aren't playing well right now but you will have the target on your back, especially with these young teams.

It's the fact they won the championship last year... everyone knows they aren't playing well right now but you will have the target on your back, especially with these young teams.

Yeah, exactly, then you leave 20 points sitting on the bench (Parker) on a team that regularly scores in the 80s and you have a recipe for disaster. Look at the starting lineup..

Duncan, Oberto, Bowen, Vaughn, Ginobli

Bench; Finley, Bonner, Horry

Manu and Duncan cant score all the points.

With SA the big question is who will step up. The game vs Seattle they oretn had 8-10 pt leads that evaporated when TD sat. In LAL with Duncan and Parker absent Barry who is Out and Bowen did some long range damage. Since scoring 22 vs LAL Bowen has topped 7 points twice since 12/13. TD needs to duplicate his near perfect effort again. At home they lost by 5 to SA as well. Just think the schedule is catching up with SA here and because they are SA people expect them to turn it around. if the line goes up though I would probably pass.....

You make good points. Lebron is like Jordan. He wins it in the End. Mr 4th Quarter as everyone says. I'm always scared going against him as my original thought last night was the Cavs, but I felt It might be an off day with the Cavs losing a man on their roster and Portland resting a bit. I know the game so at certain times I just feel certain Dogs barking by instinct. I just cannot keep myself from not going against the Cavs again being I was wrong on the 1st game of a B2B especially against this Sonics team. Higher ranked teams that know teams that are ranked Lower play less of a game when there isn't much to prove. Hey I might be dead wrong about this game but in my head I feel this is the perfect opportunity to not go against my Gut on this. Hey 2 days ago I loved Tor as a dog and Minny and they lost. Then yesterday they won when I didn't have them, but I know I still had the right Pick, just a Day short.
:23_11_59:

Well all of you guys are making me think about this SA play against PHO and you guys may be correct. I'm starting to think that Pho is the 1 who may make ppl question who the Leader of the West is...

memphis i might be the only one that agrees with you. to beat the suns the spurs gonna have to score 100 pts. i don't see san antonio winning this game. covering the 8 pts is more reasonable. but i like phoenix to win this by 15-20.

tonight i might go with...

detroit bar train
phoenix

:cheers: with the Stons

Did anyone hear LBJ say "hopefully he doesnt have to sit out 2morrow nights game" I can see it already over at Covers people will have this as there LOC.....Tell me why in the bloody hell will the Cavs after tonights game want to beat up on a terrible team.

Agree with Picks on this one, this screams of trap...

what a 4 game slate!

How can LAL/Det not be on TNT...oh well, doubleheader is still sick.

SA +8 for sure.

When I saw this game wasnt on TNT on Tuesday when I looked, I had to call the GF over to take care of the bulge in my pants....because I new I was backing DET big, and we all should know by now the Underdog trend on TNT this year.

Can I get some Detroit/PHX ML parlay please?

Rings up at about -130

Or should one go w/ a 5 pt gimmick, leaving them at -2 and -2.5, for -110?

Thoughts please........

*****TNT Thursday UNDERDOG TREND*********

Before making any bets on the Spurs/Pho, and DAL/BOS game please realize the trend that is happening. I dont know exactly what the #s are and Im sure someone can look them up today (SN) but the Underdog is hitting at a impressive %.

I know many of you may not take this into consideration when capping games, but please pay attention to it.

Great thread. And a great remark by JPicks, I could easily see another 1-2 point win for the Cavs and see the ML cashing in, but the -3,5 not.

Easily.

GL tonight guys.

Well the Pistons are officially on my SHIT list! They allowed LAL to comeback right before half after leading by DD most of the 1st Half. Since then its been almost all LAL. Det getting stupid Ts and will be lucky to win SU let alone cash my -7 or anyones -8 or better...

Back