Thursday 01/22/15 NBA discussion thread

divol

The Spurs can suck my manhood
[TABLE="class: linesTbl, width: 954"]
<tbody style="margin: 0px; padding: 0px; border: 0px; outline: 0px;">[TR="class: linesHeader"]
[TD="colspan: 8"][h=4]NBA BASKETBALL BASKETBALL - THU 1/22[/h][/TD]
[/TR]
[TR="class: linesColumns"]
[TD="bgcolor: #000032, colspan: 4, align: center"]GAME[/TD]
[TD="bgcolor: #000032, align: center"]HANDICAP[/TD]
[TD="bgcolor: #000032, align: center"]MONEY LINE[/TD]
[TD="bgcolor: #000032, align: center"]TOTAL POINTS[/TD]
[TD="bgcolor: #000032, align: center"]MORE[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR="class: linesAlt1"]
[TD="class: linesDate, bgcolor: #E6EEFB"]Thu 1/22[/TD]
[TD="class: linesRotNumBold, bgcolor: #E6EEFB"]501[/TD]
[TD="class: linesTeam, bgcolor: #E6EEFB"]Utah Jazz[/TD]
[TD="class: linesScore, bgcolor: #E6EEFB"][/TD]
[TD="class: linesSpread, bgcolor: #E6EEFB"]+7.5 1.952[/TD]
[TD="class: linesMLine, bgcolor: #E6EEFB"][/TD]
[TD="class: linesTotals, bgcolor: #E6EEFB"]Over 187 1.952[/TD]
[TD="class: linesMore, bgcolor: #E6EEFB, align: center"][/TD]
[/TR]
[TD="bgcolor: #E6EEFB"]05:05 PM[/TD]
[TD="class: linesRotNumBold, bgcolor: #E6EEFB"]502[/TD]
[TD="class: linesTeam, bgcolor: #E6EEFB"]Milwaukee Bucks [/TD]
[TD="class: linesSpread, bgcolor: #E6EEFB"]-7.5 1.952[/TD]
[TD="class: linesTotals, bgcolor: #E6EEFB"]Under 187 1.952[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR="class: linesAlt2"]
[TD="class: linesDate, bgcolor: #C1D2EE"]Thu 1/22[/TD]
[TD="class: linesRotNumBold, bgcolor: #C1D2EE"]503[/TD]
[TD="class: linesTeam, bgcolor: #C1D2EE"]San Antonio Spurs[/TD]
[TD="class: linesScore, bgcolor: #C1D2EE"][/TD]
[TD="class: linesSpread, bgcolor: #C1D2EE"]-5 1.952[/TD]
[TD="class: linesMLine, bgcolor: #C1D2EE"][/TD]
[TD="class: linesTotals, bgcolor: #C1D2EE"]Over 199 1.952[/TD]
[TD="class: linesMore, bgcolor: #C1D2EE, align: center"][/TD]
[/TR]
[TD="bgcolor: #C1D2EE"]05:05 PM[/TD]
[TD="class: linesRotNumBold, bgcolor: #C1D2EE"]504[/TD]
[TD="class: linesTeam, bgcolor: #C1D2EE"]Chicago Bulls[/TD]
[TD="class: linesSpread, bgcolor: #C1D2EE"]+5 1.952[/TD]
[TD="class: linesTotals, bgcolor: #C1D2EE"]Under 199 1.952[/TD]
[/TR]
[TD="class: linesDate, bgcolor: #E6EEFB"]Thu 1/22[/TD]
[TD="class: linesRotNumBold, bgcolor: #E6EEFB"]505[/TD]
[TD="class: linesTeam, bgcolor: #E6EEFB"]Boston Celtics[/TD]
[TD="class: linesSpread, bgcolor: #E6EEFB"]+7.5 1.952[/TD]
[TD="class: linesTotals, bgcolor: #E6EEFB"]Over 202 1.952[/TD]
[TD="class: linesMore, bgcolor: #E6EEFB, align: center"][/TD]
[/TR]
[TD="bgcolor: #E6EEFB"]07:05 PM[/TD]
[TD="class: linesRotNumBold, bgcolor: #E6EEFB"]506[/TD]
[TD="class: linesTeam, bgcolor: #E6EEFB"]Portland Trail Blazers [/TD]
[TD="class: linesSpread, bgcolor: #E6EEFB"]-7.5 1.952[/TD]
[TD="class: linesTotals, bgcolor: #E6EEFB"]Under 202 1.952[/TD]
[/TR]
[TD="class: linesDate, bgcolor: #C1D2EE"]Thu 1/22[/TD]
[TD="class: linesRotNumBold, bgcolor: #C1D2EE"]507[/TD]
[TD="class: linesTeam, bgcolor: #C1D2EE"]Brooklyn Nets[/TD]
[TD="class: linesSpread, bgcolor: #C1D2EE"]+12 1.952[/TD]
[TD="class: linesTotals, bgcolor: #C1D2EE"]Over 200.5 1.952[/TD]
[TD="class: linesMore, bgcolor: #C1D2EE, align: center"][/TD]
[/TR]
[TD="bgcolor: #C1D2EE"]07:35 PM[/TD]
[TD="class: linesRotNumBold, bgcolor: #C1D2EE"]508[/TD]
[TD="class: linesTeam, bgcolor: #C1D2EE"]Los Angeles Clippers[/TD]
[TD="class: linesSpread, bgcolor: #C1D2EE"]-12 1.952[/TD]
[TD="class: linesTotals, bgcolor: #C1D2EE"]Under 200.5 1.952[/TD]
[/TR]
</tbody>[/TABLE]

Jazz got spanked last night - better effort tonight??
Bulls catching 5 at home? - like the 1st half over without noah
Blazers played hard last night- played a lot of minutes - no aldridge last night- they play a lot of games without 2 days off
clipps will want to run, can the nets put up enough points on b2b ?

on lean is 1h over bulls

Speculating on no real work

Gotta like jazz getting 8
Without Noah (is he playing?) very hard to play Bulls. SA in good form
Cash correct. Big effort by Port last night. Could have won. Can't trust C's though. Port or nothing for me
Nets gave up big lead last night. Fatigue or just cruising due to lead? Clips in good form

Portland are 9 - 2 in favor of the Over as dogs, but 9 - 22 (1V) in Under favor, as favorites.

Chicago has actually had 2 days rest after 17 games without it.
Right now no clue in Milwaukee as it is pretty hard to be against Milwaukee after a SU loss and on 2 days rest where they are 5-2 ATS as opposed to Utah on 0 3-7 ATS.
Boston on 2 days rest facing Portland playing worst 5 in 7 missing both main centers and Aldridge. Portland is on pins and needles right now anyway waiting on the second MRI to see if their season is over.
Have not looked at the Clipper game but do not think I will enjoy it.

that guy in blankets on celtics for his 21st pick. 20 in a row is amazing
:shake:
Looks like he gets $25,000 if he hits tonight. Not sure why he went with Boston, but I'll be pulling for him.

Streak Survivor - Pending Pick

[TABLE="class: cmg_handicappersProfile"]
<tbody>[TR]
[TD]brackson13
[/TD]
[TD] Member Since: Apr 2007
Team: Florida Gators
[/TD]
[TD]Survivor Status
Current Streak: 20
Best Streak: 20
Record: 32-18-1
Completed Picks
[/TD]
[TD]Spaces
View Space
Friends
Playbook
Blog
[/TD]
[/TR]
</tbody>[/TABLE]
Thursday, January 22
NBA

[TABLE="class: thepicks"]
<tbody>[TR="class: datahead"]
[TD]Game[/TD]
[TD]Score[/TD]
[TD]Status[/TD]
[TD]Pick[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR="class: firstline"]
[TD]Boston[/TD]
[TD] -[/TD]
[TD]10:00 PM ET[/TD]
[TD]Boston +7.5
[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]Portland[/TD]
[TD] -[/TD]
[TD]
[/TD]
[TD][/TD]
[/TR]
</tbody>[/TABLE]

Celts play in denver tomorrow night.., Denver will have had 2 days off prior to game..

Think the Bucks are 17-3 ats after a loss…crazy.

Still like the way the Jazz open a game after a loss though

What does that have to do with tonight?
the players know it is tough to play the 2nd game of b2b in denver... also know that blazers played last night and have injuries possibly a chance to steal a win tonight if not the cover

the players know it is tough to play the 2nd game of b2b in denver... also know that blazers played last night and have injuries possibly a chance to steal a win tonight if not the cover
The Rose Garden (or whatever they call it now) has been the toughest place to play this season so not sure why they'd go in there any more confident than playing at Pepsi Center. In any event, I'll be pulling for the Celtics.

The Rose Garden (or whatever they call it now) has been the toughest place to play this season so not sure why they'd go in there any more confident than playing at Pepsi Center. In any event, I'll be pulling for the Celtics.

I thought i explained it?

Here it is again..

the players know it is tough to play the 2nd game of b2b in denver... also know that blazers played last night and have injuries

I thought i explained it?

Here it is again..

the players know it is tough to play the 2nd game of b2b in denver... also know that blazers played last night and have injuries
You honestly think a team that's scuffling at 13-26 and is barely in playoff contention really concerns itself with who or where they're playing tomorrow night? Those are fair points about the Blazers, but to think they're looking ahead to the Nuggets, c'mon...

I've met hockey players here who don't even know who they're playing that night.

You honestly think a team that's scuffling at 13-26 and is barely in playoff contention really concerns itself with who or where they're playing tomorrow night? Those are fair points about the Blazers, but to think they're looking ahead to the Nuggets, c'mon...

I've met hockey players here who don't even know who they're playing that night.

from listening to a few interviews over the last day or so, yes i do in this specific case..

from listening to a few interviews over the last day or so, yes i do in this specific case..
Well, that might be the case with the Celtics players but, based on my own personal experience, most guys seem fairly oblivious as to who's on the upcoming schedule (Gary Sheffield looked like he wanted to pop my friend for laughing because he didn't know where they were playing next, although Sheffield had the last laugh since he ended up picking up one of the girls my friend was interested in. The circle of life... : )

Cash correct. Big effort by Port last night. Could have won. Can't trust C's though. Port or nothing for me
Nets gave up big lead last night. Fatigue or just cruising due to lead? Clips in good form

Noah is NOT playing today.
Portland used up a lot of energy coming back from 20 down without the big guy and just couldn't finish against a conference team. Now playing a back to back against a non-conference team it looks like a flat spot to me. Games will get tougher and tougher without him in the lineup.

Don't know if it's been mention but Favors for Utah is out tonight due to personal reasons.

Think the Bucks are 17-3 ats after a loss…crazy.

Still like the way the Jazz open a game after a loss though

Bucks are 16-3 ATS off a loss, but only 2-1 ATS as a Home fav.

They've yet to lose 2 games in a row ATS this season when playing as a Fav in the second game.

bummer....already played the jazz....hope they step up....maybe bail at half

thinking about bulls 1h....tibby has to get them moving sometime,lost 6 of 8 and have looked lazy...team meeting....yawn

off portland and will look at half for any potential....thanks

i think the clips roll...but do not have anything to support that other than my thoughts are they are finally starting to listen to doc and nets on b2b on west coast against a good home team

Warning sign I see for the blankets survivor guy is this: 17 of his last 18 picks have been favourites = he's gone away from what got him to this point now he's on the brink of winning some decent cash, and instead he opts to catch a not insignificant amount of points. Automatically leads me to think he's 'playing safe' aka getting conservative. "My team can lose SU [unlike 17 of his last 18 picks] and I can still win this pick." To my mind, you stick with the rhythm that got you to point X. Doesn't mean he's picked an auto loser, but it still smacks of his having gotten conservative.

Good teams usually fuck around with fixtures like this when they're complacent, but Portland has lost 4 of 5 SU and they've all been tough opponents. Now a cream puff fixture is on deck to help them right the ship. Home team is in the prime position to blow off some frustration here, irrespective of playing B2B & missing players.

Key to remember with survivor is, when guys get decent streaks going, they find losers to kill themselves. Why has this guy gone away from what's got him here? Nothing said he had to pick from the small card today. Don't see a Fav you like? have a day off.

Bucks are 16-3 ATS off a loss, but only 2-1 ATS as a Home fav.

They've yet to lose 2 games in a row ATS this season when playing as a Fav in the second game.

Jazz are 6-1 ATS this season off 2 ATS losses in their previous 2 games, & 7-4 ATS away vs. the East (as opposed to 6-6 ATS away vs. the West).

Key to remember with survivor is, when guys get decent streaks going, they find losers to kill themselves. Why has this guy gone away from what's got him here? Nothing said he had to pick from the small card today. Don't see a Fav you like? have a day off.
That's what I was thinking at first as well, but then I remembered Covers has a tendency to narrow the number of games available in the Survivor contest on a night to night basis.

Maybe this was the least objectionable selection within a narrow field? Or maybe he just really believes in the Celtics?

That's what I was thinking at first as well, but then I remembered Covers has a tendency to narrow the number of games available in the Survivor contest on a night to night basis.

Maybe this was the least objectionable selection within a narrow field? Or maybe he just really believes in the Celtics?

Blankets do restrict options, but that's usually tied to those games with high percentages for one side. I see Portland sits at 64% at the moment, and in my experience it's the games with 70%+ sides that get restricted (though not always - some they let go for whatever reasons) - I'm not aware of them limiting NBA options irrespective of the percentages involved (I'd think they'd be happy for all decent streaks to opt for NBA picks, given the BS officiating prominent in the sport). That said, I've been prevented from making a pick on the main pick page due to percentages before, yet have then immediately gone to the match-up page and had no problems getting the same pick entered.

But aside from all that, given his proclivity for (& success at) taking favourites, what price would he pay for waiting a day? Friday has a decent sized card with a number of big & small favs (he's shown a penchant for both). Some might disappear given high percentages, but if he picked early enough he might well avoid missing a pick he wanted. Anyway, an otherwise dead/boring fixture is suddenly imbued with life for tonight.

Devoting way too much time to a game I'm not even on (sadly, I spent more time on this than I ever do my own games), but it's bothering me, so...

Boston -4.3 on the road, Portland +8.8 at home, Boston -8.8 L5 (2 A, 3 H, SOS 4.72), Portland -5.0 L5 (3 A, 2 H, SOS 3.84)

Portland 3-0 SU, 2-1 ATS the past two seasons against Boston (MOV 9.0, High 13, Low 6)
Portland with No.1 DEFF at home this season at 98.2 (SOS -3.38), Boston with 2nd lowest OEFF on the road at 100.1 (SOS 1.75)

Points in the paint: Boston 4th best in the league at 45.3, Portland 6th worst in the league at 44.8

Now PIP is where it gets interesting: Boston outscored Portland in the paint in all 3 games (43.3 - 36.0), while Portland outrebounded Boston in all 3 games (50.3 - 42.0). The common theme in all 3 games? LaMarcus Aldridge (leading scorer in all 3 games for Portland with 22.7, and leading rebounder in all 3 games for Portland with 13.0). Without Aldridge, Lopez and Freeland in there, the Boston forwards are free to roam the inside although, at the same time, Tyler Zeller in lieu of Jeff Green isn't exactly a positive trade off.

Still, as a general rule, bad teams don't usually win on the road, while good teams don't usually lose at home (and win expectancy probably grows exponentially when it's a bad road team vs. a good home team). Plus the Celtics have been in free fall mode ever since the Rondo trade and have gotten smacked around by the upper tier teams during that time as well.

Bottom line: you could definitely make a compelling argument for Boston but, at the same time, there has to be a better game than this to be risking 25 grand on (and there has to be a better way for me to spend my time as well *LOL*). All I know is, anytime I've made a REALLY big bet, it's always had to be one of those scenarios where if it loses, I can rationalize it by saying something stupid like "99 times out of 100, that hits". Not sure I could say that with the Celtics tonight, although I'll definitely be rooting hard for the guy.

I missed the whole game. Looked to be skating on thin ice deal after 3 periods, then Portland's effort gave way.

On a side note, Port is now 17-7 to Under at home.

Interesting question does Portland make the playoffs. Have read Aldridge is out 6 to 8 weeks. Batum no idea if its serious and the 2 centers unclear how many weeks they are out. Lets hope Len and his sore foot do not put the Suns in a similar spot.

Back