The "OFFICIAL" thread for injuries, suspensions, etc., since spring...

Zach Schreiber Transfers
By outsidethesidelines Section: Football
Posted on Tue Sep 04, 2007 at 09:27:44 PM EDT
</I>

Sophomore Alabama linebacker Zach Schreiber has decided to transfer, according to various reports. Coach Nick Saban said that he was a good kid who wanted to go closer to home, and thus his release was granted.
Schreiber is a native of Shreveport, Louisiana, and is a product of Evangel Christian High School. There, he had some impressive stats at the Shreveport football powerhouse, but was somewhat lightly recruited. LSU, Oklahoma, and Texas -- i.e. the schools that really do well in the Shreveport area -- all passed on Schreiber. In the end, he was a three-star prospect who chose Alabama over the likes of Ole Miss and Oklahoma State.
There is no official indication of where he will go, but all that I can find says he will be going to Louisiana Tech (Ruston, LA, specifically, which is close to Shreveport). Nothing official yet, though.
Before transferring, he was the back-up linebacker to Zeke Knight. That said, the truth is that he was probably a long way behind Knight, and he really didn't play any meaningful snaps Saturday night as far as I could tell. Truth be told, at under 220 pounds, he's really not big enough to fit into a 3-4 scheme. He fit quite well in the Kines' scheme where we were looking for relatively small linebackers with speed, but in the 3-4, where linebackers frequently have to take on offensive linemen, he was just a freshwater fish in the ocean, so to speak.
His transfer will free up one scholarship, and that will almost certainly be used in this recruiting class. And as well as things are going on the recruiting trail, we'll probably use that scholarship and end up with a better player.
In the short term, the effect is likely negligible in regard to Alabama. Truth be told, we were likely in major trouble if we had to call on Schreiber to handle a big load with the defense, and that will still be the case with him gone. It may mean that Jennings Hester does not redshirt, but that's about it.
At the end of the day, Schreiber's transfer is probably a good thing for all parties involved. Either way, best of luck to Mr. Schreiber in all of his future endeavors.

Oregon State's Riley: 'It's conceivable he could play'

Posted: Tuesday September 4, 2007 6:36PM; Updated: Tuesday September 4, 2007 6:36PM
CORVALLIS, Ore. (AP) -- Receiver Sammie Stroughter could return to the field for Oregon State as early as Thursday night's game at Cincinnati.
Stroughter, who took a leave of absence from the team for personal reasons early in fall camp, was at one point questionable for the entire season.
But Stroughter unexpectedly returned to practice just before the start of the season, and was at the opener last weekend on the sidelines -- wearing his jersey but no pads.
He was practicing with the regular offense on Sunday after working out with the scout team.
"It's conceivable he could play," coach Mike Riley told reporters on Monday.
However, Riley also said that the issue must be carefully considered by Stroughter and his family.
During his 18-day absence from the team, Stroughter issued a statement through the university saying that he was grieving the deaths of two family members and longtime Beavers assistant Jim Gilstrap.
"These losses have taken my entire family by storm and the grief from these incidents has affected each one of us differently. It has been the decision of my immediate family and I that I take whatever time needed to get over what I am personally experiencing due to the sudden changes in my life," he said.
Riley has asked reporters to give Stroughter his privacy
Stroughter, a third-team All-America selection last year, caught 79 passes for 1,293 yards last season. He scored eight touchdowns, three of them on punt returns.
Yvenson Bernard said it was great just having Stroughter back at practice.
"One of the first plays he made in practice was a crazy catch," Bernard said. "It's good to have him out there and I think everyone enjoys his company."
The Beavers opened their season last Thursday night with a 24-7 victory at home against Utah, testing the arms of a competing sophomore QBs Sean Canfield and Lyle Moevao. Riley said he'll start Canfield against Cincinnati but also play Moevao against the Bearcats.
Bernard ran for 165 yards and two touchdowns against the Utes.
Cincinnati beat Southeast Missouri State 59-3 Saturday in the debut of coach Brian Kelly's new "Cat Attack" offense. Quarterback Ben Mauk, who missed nearly all of last season with injuries, completed 18 of 27 passes for 244 yards and two touchdowns.
Stroughter traveled with the Beavers team when they left for Cincinnati on Tuesday. There remains the possibility that he won't play this season and Oregon State could redshirt him.
"I think this story is going to be a good story," Riley said. "Now, when the rest of the story starts, it might be Thursday, it might be next year, it could be anywhere in between."

<TABLE cellPadding=8 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=articleTitle>SJSU's top running back out</TD></TR><!--subtitle--><!--byline--><TR><TD class=articleByline>By Laurence Miedema
Mercury News
San Jose Mercury News</TD></TR><!--date--><TR><TD class=articleDate>Article Launched:09/04/2007 01:39:02 AM PDT</TD></TR><TR><TD height=10></TD></TR><TR><TD class=articleBody>

Yonus Davis, San Jose State's 1,000-yard rusher, will miss the Spartans' game Saturday at Kansas State because of a left-ankle sprain sustained in the season-opening loss at Arizona State last weekend.
Davis is being held out as a precaution, Coach Dick Tomey said Monday. An MRI exam is scheduled for this week.
Jacob French, who spent virtually all of spring camp and training camp at wide receiver, is listed as the No. 1 tailback on the depth chart.
The hope is that Davis, who is expected to be on crutches until at least midweek, will be able to play at Stanford on Sept. 15. But the 5-foot-7, 185-pound senior will be brought along slowly to ensure he is healthy for the start of Western Athletic Conference play.
"We'll play him when he's available," Tomey said. "We don't want to risk losing him for an extended period of time."
Davis last season became the ninth player in SJSU history to rush for 1,000 yards in a season. He was injured on the first offensive play against Arizona State. Davis said Saturday night that he felt a pop in his ankle after he was tackled on a 1-yard gain.
Davis is the second tailback SJSU has lost in two weeks. Top backup Patrick Perry suffered a season-ending knee injury last week in practice.
With Davis and Perry sidelined, the Spartans rushed for only 40 yards in 26 carries in their 45-3 loss to Arizona State. Quarterback Adam Tafralis was the team's leading rusher with 19 yards.
SJSU faces an even tougher run defense this weekend. In Kansas State's 23-13 loss at No. 18 Auburn, the Wildcats held the Tigers to 62 yards in 37 carries.
French lined up several times in the backfield against Arizona State but did not have a carry. He rushed for 1,437 yards in 2005 at Foothill College.
Cameron Island, Donte Collins and David Marrero are the other tailbacks on the roster. It also is possible that sophomore safety Dominique Hunsucker will join the mix in practice this week. Hunsucker, the top running back in the Central Coast Section as a senior at Valley Christian High, was recruited to SJSU as a tailback. He was converted to defense last fall. "Obviously, we're looking for help at that position," Tomey said.
</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Tigers backup QB headed to La. Tech

Posted: Wednesday September 5, 2007 10:20AM; Updated: Wednesday September 5, 2007 10:20AM

RUSTON, La. (AP) -- Quarterback Steven Ensminger, a backup at Auburn, has transferred to Louisiana Tech and will begin classes later this week.
The redshirt freshman is the son of Auburn assistant coach Steve Ensminger.
"He feels like his opportunity there with the offense that they run and what they have at quarterback will give him an opportunity to possibly play sooner," Auburn coach Tommy Tuberville said today. "I tried to talk him out of it, but this is his decision, his life."
Ensminger led West Monroe to the 2005 Louisiana Class 5A state title his senior year and was named to the 2005 Louisiana Sports Writers Association All-State team.

Berry, Williams to start

By Dave Hooker
Originally published 09:41 p.m., September 4, 2007
Updated 09:41 p.m., September 4, 2007
Audio:

Tennessee Stat Book

Tennessee vs. Southern Mississippi

• When: Saturday, Sept. 8, 2007, 7 p.m.
  • Where: Home Neyland Stadium, Knoxville, TN
  • Cost: Not available
  • Age limit: All ages
Full event details »

STORY TOOLS

related_story.gif
More Football

Share and Enjoy [?]

<!-- Newsvine: http://www.newsvine.com/_cms/info/seedlink --> <!-- Del.icio.us: http://del.icio.us/help/savebuttons --><!-- Digg: http://ekstreme.com/seo/socialbookmarkingcode.php --><!-- Furl: http://ekstreme.com/seo/socialbookmarkingcode.php -->
Get Reprints

Want to use this article? Click here for options!

Tennessee demoted two senior starters on Tuesday following a 45-31 loss to California in the season opener last Saturday.
Defensive tackle J.T. Mapu lost his position to sophomore Dan Williams while Jarod Parrish lost his starting strong safety spot to freshman Eric Berry for Saturday’s home opener against Southern Miss.
“I want everybody to understand that the guys that played the best are the ones that are going to play,” Fulmer said.
Berry started the opener as UT’s fifth defensive back in its nickel package. Berry was then moved to strong safety for the entire second half.
“He brings an energy and he tries to crush people,” defensive backs coach Larry Slade said. “He gets around the football, whether it’s at corner or safety. He’s an outstanding football player.”
Berry had seven tackles Saturday. Parrish had three tackles, one for a loss.
“Jarod has played well,” Slade said. “He’s just got a guy in front of him that’s extremely talented.”
Said Fulmer, “Eric Berry’s a special football player.”
Berry primarily practiced at cornerback since arriving at UT early this summer. Midway through preseason practice, he began seeing time at safety, the position he played at Creekside High School in Fairburn, Ga., as well as quarterback.
“He’s a football player,” Slade said. “You put him out there, he adapts. He sees things. There are some things you can’t coach.
“He’s maybe the best freshman that I’ve coached. He probably comes with a little bit more maturity than most others.”
Williams wasn’t quite as ready when he enrolled at UT. He lost 60 pounds within months of his arrival in 2005, then added strength and improved his technique throughout 2006.
“He’s continued to improve throughout spring practice and this fall,” defensive tackles coach Dan Brooks said. “He’s got his weight in a situation where I think he can help us.
“I think he’s stronger than he was a year ago, without the weight.”
Fulmer said the decision was based on the Cal game, in which Williams had one-half tackle for a loss while Mapu had one tackle.
“Dan Williams played in the game better than J.T. did and he’ll take the challenge,” Fulmer said. “That’ll make us a better football team.”
Williams was surprised when made aware of the change by media assembled for interviews Tuesday.
“When I go out there,” Williams said, “I just try to play 100-percent and give my all for the team.
After making the announcement, Fulmer was adamant in defending the pair who lost their starting positions.
“I don’t want anybody to think for one minute that Jarrod Parrish or J.T. lost the game,” he said. “That’s not the case at all.”

UGA FOOTBALL
Dogs' Lumpkin could be out a month
Starting RB has surgery on broken thumb

By CARTER STRICKLAND
The Atlanta Journal-Constitution
Published on: 09/04/07
Athens — Georgia running back Kregg Lumpkin underwent surgery Tuesday to repair his broken right thumb and could be out up to four weeks, Bulldogs coach Mark Richt said.
Lumpkin broke the thumb in the third quarter of Saturday's season-opening win against Oklahoma State.
"I was running through the hole and got hit and tried to brace myself when I fell, and my thumb went into the ground at an angle," the senior said. "When I looked at it, it was leaning out of my glove."
Coaches hope to have Lumpkin back in 2-3 weeks and let him start playing on special teams. In 3-4 weeks, he might be able to start to grip the ball with his hand and could work his way back into the running back rotation, Richt said.
Lumpkin doesn't have a definite idea of when he will return.
"I've just gotta get healed up and bounce back," he said.
Lumpkin's injury leaves Georgia with Thomas Brown and Knowshon Moreno as the primary options at running back. That pair had 118 rushing yards against Oklahoma State. Senior Jason Johnson and redshirt freshman Shaun Chapas are fullbacks who could also play running back.
Georgia also has star recruit Caleb King but it's not likely coaches would burn King's redshirt season since Lumpkin won't miss the entire season.

WR McCluster out 3 to 6 weeks
OXFORD — Ole Miss will have to get used to life without Dexter McCluster again.
The wide receiver, who missed the second half of 2006 after sustaining a concussion and shoulder injury, could be sidelined for up to six weeks. Ole Miss coach Ed Orgeron would not reveal the nature of McCluster's latest injury, which held him out of the opener, but confirmed he'll be sidelined for a some time.
"I think he's going to be out anywhere from three to six weeks," Orgeron said Monday. "That's all I'm going to say."
McCluster's loss is a blow to an offense that was counting on him to regain his freshman form this fall. He was Ole Miss' most productive player in the first half of 2006, but was knocked out of the Vanderbilt game with a vicious hit on the opening kickoff.
McCluster latest injury occurred sometime last week. He was in uniform for pre-game warmups last Saturday, but did not run routes or catch passes. He barely moved his left arm, too, and stood on the sideline in his uniform throughout the game.
Without McCluster, Marshay Green, Mike Wallace, Shay Hodge and Robert Lane led the Rebels in receiving at Memphis.
"Obviously, he's a great player," quarterback Seth Adams said. "But other guys stepped up and came in and made plays."
UNDER PRESSURE
It may have fizzled out at the end of the game, but Orgeron said he was impressed with his new-look defense Monday.
"We had some guys really play at a big-time level," Orgeron said. "We hit the quarterback at least 18 times. It was just a change in our temperament on our defense."
In particular, Orgeron said defensive ends Greg Hardy and Marcus Tillman, cornerback Dustin Mouzon and linebacker Ashlee Palmer turned in impressive performances.

UNC linebacker Chase Rice out for season after injury left ankle against James Madison

<HR width="100%" noShade SIZE=1>
Associated Press

CHAPEL HILL, N.C. -- North Carolina linebacker Chase Rice will have surgery on his left ankle, ending his season.

"I'm disappointed for Chase and for our program," said coach Butch Davis. "He was significant on special teams and played well in the ball game Saturday. I hate losing him."

Rice, who started at outside linebacker Saturday, injured his ankle during the Tar Heels' 37-14 victory over James Madison. The junior made one tackle and broke up a pass that led to an interception.

Freshman Bruce Carter will start in Rice's place Saturday at East Carolina.

Mitchell not dreaming, ready to go

Doctors to decide playing status after concussion

By Mike Strange
Originally published 12:14 a.m., September 5, 2007
Updated 12:14 a.m., September 5, 2007
Michael Patrick
Tennessee defensive end Xavier Mitchell is carted off the field Saturday night at California after suffering a concussion late in the game. He was hurt when he collided with teammate Eric Berry.

Audio:

Tennessee Stat Book

Tennessee vs. Southern Mississippi

• When: Saturday, Sept. 8, 2007, 7 p.m.
  • Where: Home Neyland Stadium, Knoxville, TN
  • Cost: Not available
  • Age limit: All ages
Full event details »

STORY TOOLS

related_story.gif
More Football

Share and Enjoy [?]

<!-- Newsvine: http://www.newsvine.com/_cms/info/seedlink --> <!-- Del.icio.us: http://del.icio.us/help/savebuttons --><!-- Digg: http://ekstreme.com/seo/socialbookmarkingcode.php --><!-- Furl: http://ekstreme.com/seo/socialbookmarkingcode.php -->
Get Reprints

Want to use this article? Click here for options!

Xavier Mitchell said Tuesday he's feeling fine, three days after suffering a concussion in Tennessee's season-opener at California.
Feeling fine and being medically cleared to play Saturday against Southern Mississippi, however, are two different things.
"Yesterday (Monday) was pretty good and today I feel even better,'' UT's senior defensive end said.
"I really want to play but that's totally up to the doctors. They have my best interest at heart.''
Mitchell, a second-year starter, was injured late in the fourth quarter of UT's 45-31 loss. He was hustling to help on a tackle when his head collided with teammate Eric Berry's hip.
"He zigged when he should have zagged, and I missed the running back and hit Eric instead,'' Mitchell said. "I'm surprised I didn't give him a hip pointer.''
Mitchell gave the crowd and UT fans watching on TV a scare. He left the field on a stretcher, immobilized on a backboard, and was taken by ambulance to a Berkeley hospital, accompanied by his mother.
To that point the scenario was reminiscent of cornerback Inky Johnson's injury last year against Air Force, an injury that turned out to be career-ending.
Mitchell had a killer headache, but his CT scan was negative, revealing no structural damage.
"We're all thankful he's OK,'' UT coach Phillip Fulmer said.
"I promise you,'' said Mitchell, " I wasn't as nervous or as scared as some other people might have been. I wish I could have finished the game.''
He emerged with his sense of humor intact.
Asked Tuesday if he dreamed while he was unconscious on the field, Mitchell replied, "Um, I dreamed I played a better game.''
And what did seeing the play on tape look like?
"Like Evander Holyfield or Mike Tyson got a hold of me.''
Asked if while waiting to learn his playing status he was going to roll with the punches, Mitchell cut off the question with, "We're not going to get any punches around here.''
Concussions, though, are no laughing matter.
Mitchell said he got one in high school and another just last month in a scrimmage.
"I got back in a day or two,'' he said. "I took one day off from contact and I was right back in it.
"It wasn't as bad as this one.''
With the end of his college career in sight, Mitchell doesn't want to miss any games. He especially doesn't want to miss Saturday's.
Home is Long Beach, Miss., about an hour from the Southern Miss campus in Hattiesburg.
Southern Miss recruited Mitchell. He took an official visit and knows a number of the Golden Eagles.
More than anything, he knows their reputation as a giant-slayer.
"I know they thrive on games like this because nobody gives them a chance,'' Mitchell said.
"I know they'll come to play when they come up here to Knoxville.''

Help on the way for UF's defense
<TABLE class=articlePictureItem style="FLOAT: right" cellSpacing=2 cellPadding=2 width=20 border=0><TBODY><TR><TD align=right colSpan=2>
bilde
</TD></TR><TR><TD class=point12 align=left width=30>ZOOM </TD><TD class=point12 align=right>Tracy Wilcox/The Gainesville Sun </TD></TR><TR><TD class=point12 align=left colSpan=2>Florida wide receiver Jarred Fayson pulls in a pass in front of cornerback Markihe Andeson during football practice on Thursday, August 9, 2007.
</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
Four players out for UF's opener could have impact in Game 2

By ROBBIE ANDREU
Sun sports writer

Markihe Anderson was OK with missing the opener. Until about two minutes before kickoff.

"I didn't know how much it was going to eat at me until I ran out of that tunnel," said the sophomore cornerback. "That really got to me. I wanted to play badly. Man, it was eating me alive."

What really ate at Anderson was the helpless feeling he experienced watching Florida's young cornerbacks struggle in their starting debut. Especially, true sophomore Wondy Pierre-Louis, who took Anderson's place in the starting lineup.

"It was hard," said Anderson, sidelined by a sprained knee.

Redshirt freshman defensive tackle Lawrence Marsh knows how Anderson felt. He experienced a similar opening-day downer. Held out of the game for disciplinary reasons, Marsh could only watch as fellow defensive tackles Javier Estopinan and Clint McMillan failed to create an inside pass rush against Western Kentucky's offensive front.

"It was real tough seeing them not getting home," Marsh said.

Marsh and Anderson are two of four players held out of the opener who could have an impact in game two against Troy. The others are redshirt freshman cornerback Jaues Rickerson and punt returner/tailback Brandon James. Like Marsh, Rickerson and James were benched for disciplinary reasons.

The returning four could provide a boost in three areas that were lacking in the opener - cornerback and interior defensive line play and the return game.

Coming off a one-game suspension, James will assume his role as the No. 1 punt returner.

Anderson will start at cornerback if his knee holds up this week. And Rickerson will be in the playing rotation at corner.

Marsh, one of UF's top defensive linemen in the preseason, could help generate the inside push that was missing in the opener.

"Marsh can help us," co-defensive coordinator Charlie Strong said. "He's big enough and athletic enough where he can give us a push inside. He'll be working in the rotation with everybody else.

"We have two good defensive ends, Derrick Harvey and Jermaine Cunningham, who can rush the passer. You need that push (up the middle) or people will start doubling them. You need a guy who can create some movement inside."

Marsh said he's eager to be that guy.

"It's about that time. I'm ready to play," Marsh said. "I feel like I can help a whole lot. I believe I can make a lot of plays. It's all about effort and wanting to get to the quarterback. I'm ready to turn it loose on anybody we play."

Anderson is ready to go, too. Now, it's up to his knee.

"It's coming along," he said. "I'm trying to strengthen it and get my confidence back in the knee. Our training staff is one of the best and they say they're going to get me back this week.

"I know how to function out there and how to get the job done. I know all the techniques and all the defenses we run. I'll try to get back healthy and go out there and try to help these guys come along and be a great defense like we were last year."

Anderson hasn't started a game yet, but he played in 13 games last season as a true freshman and is UF's most experienced cornerback.

The Gators played very little man-to-man coverage in the opener because they were low in numbers at cornerback. That chances with the return of Anderson and Rickerson.

"We need Anderson back because of our substitution package," Strong said. "This team (Troy) will throw the ball all the time. We need him for our packages, so if we want to play man coverage, we can match up and play man."

Anderson said he needs to play Saturday to get ready for the showdown with Tennessee in two weeks.

"Oh, I've got to," he said. "I've got to get back in this lineup and get my feet wet. I want to play at least 30 snaps so I can go into the Tennessee ready to win it and go 1-0 in the SEC."

Anderson expects to find out today if he's been cleared to play.

While his status for Saturday is uncertain, James is definitely playing, and starting. He returns as the return guy, replacing Jarred Fayson, who missed the opportunity to break several punt returns in the opener.

"James will be back and Jarred will be available," UF coach Urban Meyer said. "James is a terrific returner."

James is declining interview requests this week, saying he doesn't want to talk until after he plays in Saturday's game.

Orakpo knee injury not season ending

According to Orangebloods and the AAS, Brian Orakpo’s knee injury will not end his season. The description of the injury on the radio and by those who were watching on PPV was pretty gruesome, so if Orakpo can return to the field this season that’s definitely good news for him and the Texas defense. The Texas coaches were livid that no penalty was called for the illegal chop block that took Orakpo out.
No official word or rumors on how Orakpo will be out, we should know a little more later this week. Eddie Jones, who played well after Orakpo went down against Arkansas State, will start at the quick defensive end spot against TCU.

Six weeks after crash two freshmen return to Miami

Posted: Wednesday September 5, 2007 1:49AM; Updated: Wednesday September 5, 2007 1:49AM
CORAL GABLES, Fla. (AP) -- Miami quarterback Robert Marve and wide receiver Jermaine McKenzie took a big step in their recoveries Tuesday.
Six weeks after the freshmen suffered serious injuries in a rollover crash, they were in uniform on the Hurricanes' practice field. Both are still limited in what they can do, and there isn't a timetable for when -- or if -- either may be cleared for game action this season.
"It feels good," Marve said. "I think it's a blessing that I'm back on the field."
They were hurt shortly past midnight on July 16 in the one-car crash on Interstate 75, about 110 miles away from Miami's campus. McKenzie fell asleep while driving Marve's 2007 Dodge Charger; the car rolled several times before coming to rest on its roof.
Marve suffered a broken wrist, dislocated finger and a deep cut on his left (non-throwing) hand, while McKenzie broke a neck vertebrae and wore a brace for several weeks. Another Miami player, linebacker Colin McCarthy, suffered minor injuries in the crash.
"I don't know my status," said McKenzie, who had the brace removed last week but isn't yet cleared to wear a helmet during workouts. "Right now it's still day to day."
It's still possible that one or both will be medically redshirted after the season, preserving their first year of eligibility.
Marve was one of the most sought-after quarterbacks in the country last season, after leading Tampa Plant High to a state Class 4A championship. He set state records with 280 completions, 48 touchdowns and 4,380 passing yards as a senior, earning him Florida's "Mr. Football" award.
"He's just going out there and doing fundamental stuff and things like that. He's not practicing," Miami coach Randy Shannon said. "He's working on conditioning and getting his throwing motion down. ... No timetable, just when the body heals. He's throwing a little bit, but we're not going to let him get any contact."

The word from Riley on Wednesday ... Sammie will play

Posted by Paul Buker September 05, 2007 13:21PM

Categories: Breaking News
OSU coach Mike Riley told me before the team's walkthrough at Nippert Stadium that Sammie Stroughter will indeed play in Thursday night's game against Cincinnati.

medium_LATEST%20SAMMIE.jpg
OSU coach Mike Riley said Wednesday that WR/punt returner Sammie Stroughter will definitely play in Thursday night's game at Cincinnati. "Relatively speaking, is he back?'' said Riley. "Yes, he's back.''

Riley said No. 19 will back up true freshman Darrell Catchings at SE, and return punts behind starting punt returner Taylor Kavanaugh.
"I don't know for sure yet (how much) he will play,'' said Riley.
But he WILL play?
"Yes,'' said Riley.
"Relatively speaking, is he back? Yes, he's back. He wants to play, his mother wants him to play, and he CAN play. I mean, he's practiced well.''
Riley did not allow media to speak with Stroughter at the walkthrough.
He said Stroughter would be available after the game, "to talk about football. ... he doesn't want to talk about his personal issues.''
Riley told me he is not worried that Sammie - who missed most of fall camp dealing with what was characterized as grief-related issues - will be a little out of shape, and perhaps a little rusty since he hasn't been hit for real since the Sun Bowl.
"It's probably not a lot different than what we do with 'Ev' " said Riley, talking about TB Yvenson Bernard. "The first time 'Ev' gets tackled during the week is in a game. ... Sammie worked out all summer. He practiced for five days before he issued that statement. And then he came back and practiced for two weeks. So I feel real good about where he's at physically, from the standpoint of alternating him in games.''
- PB

Running back seeks waiver for sixth year of eligibility

Posted: Wednesday September 5, 2007 6:16PM; Updated: Wednesday September 5, 2007 6:16PM
TULSA, Okla. (AP) -- Running back Courtney Tennial will miss Tulsa's entire 2007 season because of an ankle injury sustained in preseason drills, the school said Wednesday.
Tennial, who had transferred from Oklahoma, was the Golden Hurricane's leading rusher last season with 862 yards and 14 touchdowns.
Tennial has played only one season of college football, but will have to seek a waiver for a sixth year of eligibility from the NCAA if he is to continue his career.
After setting an Oklahoma high school record with 3,486 yards rushing and 36 touchdowns as a senior at Glenpool High School, Tennial redshirted at Oklahoma in 2003 and didn't play the following year as Adrian Peterson was en route to a runner-up finish in the Heisman Trophy voting.
He then transferred to Tulsa and sat out a season under NCAA rules before playing last season.

Troy's Mainor suspended indefinitely

Posted: Wednesday September 5, 2007 6:21PM; Updated: Wednesday September 5, 2007 6:21PM

TROY, Ala. (AP) -- Troy defensive end Kenny Mainor has been suspended indefinitely for violation of team rules, coach Larry Blakeney said Wednesday.
The junior has started since his redshirt freshman year when he replaced NFL first-round draft pick Demarcus Ware. He had two tackles in the Trojans' opener at No. 18 Arkansas.
Mainor led the team with 6.5 sacks as a sophomore.
The Trojans visit No. 4 Florida on Saturday.

Urban Meyer wanted to use his speed in the return game, but "a little tendonitis issue" like the one he suffered through as a freshman will restrict Percy Harvin's duties to offense against Troy.

Carroll On Tyler

Tailback Marc Tyler practiced Wednesday, here's some reaction.
"He really got mixed into some drills and did some good things," Carroll said. "He stumbled around and made some mistakes, as you would think, but he had fun playing football for the first time."

Defensive back Emanuel Cook has been "exonerated" from the charge of possession of a pistol under the age of 21, South Carolina head football coach Steve Spurrier said Thursday night during the final segment of his weekly call-in show.

Cook and another man were arrested about 9:30 p.m. on Aug. 23 in the vicinity of the East Quad Dorms after a police officer observed the pair handling the gun. Cook spent the night at the Richland County jail before being released the following afternoon.

Cook was also suspended by the university, a step that prohibited him from attending classes or living in the dorms.

But Spurrier suggested Thursday night on his radio show that the charge against Cook will be dropped. He also took advantage of the opportunity to scold the mainstream media.

"He was in a car and a guy showed him a handgun," Spurrier said. "They both got arrested. The headlines all over the country (blared) 'Weapons charge.' Right now, it's all over. Emanuel Cook has been exonerated. One of the guys who worked for the police force told me if he had been on duty that night Emanuel Cook would never have been arrested for that. But they could have and they did. It's over now. Sometimes in life you're accused of something you're not really guilty of. But it makes headlines."

Within hours after his released, Cook suffered an attack of appendicitis and was rushed to Palmetto Richland Memorial Hospital, where he underwent an appendectomy, a procedure that removes the appendix.

Cook was released from the hospital on Aug. 28 and attended a hearing before the student judicial council the same day. The suspension was lifted, allowing Cook to resume attending classes.

"I can assure you Emanuel Cook did nothing wrong in that whole incident," Spurrier said. "But (the headlines said) South Carolina football player has gun on campus. But we've got to fight it. We've got to live with it. Sometimes we all just have to wait to find out what happened before we react in these situations."

Cook did not play in last Saturday's season opener while he recovered from his surgery. He practiced on a limited basis for most of this week but could be cleared to play in Saturday's game against Georgia.

"His appendicitis is healed very well," Spurrier said. "I think the doctors are going to clear him to play Saturday. Having Emanuel Cook out there will be a big help to our defense and special teams."

Just going through the injury reports now.

Some key injuries to look out for Texas:

DE Brian Orakpo, probably Texas' best pass rusher, arrived at the TCU game on crutches and a knee brace and limped around. Orakpo was injured against Arky St when he was chop blocked and most likely hyperextended his right knee.

OG Ulatowski left the game last night due to a right elbow injury. No report as to its' severity, but he failed to return to the game. Ulatowski was one of only 2 returning starters to Texas' OL this year.

Navy defensive injuries:

Injuries

From what I understand Jeff Deliz and Clint Sovie are both doubtfull for next week. This is going to hit us hard, especially considering how well Jeff was playing against Rutgers before he went down the other night. I like the freshman Wyatt Middleton at safety a lot, but I'm not so sure that Pospisil and Haberer can fill in opposite Irv Spencer. Speaking of Irv, this now becomes his defense with the loss of Deliz and Sovie. Irv is an emotional guy with a lot of ability, and it now falls on his shoulders to make sure the defense can bounce back on the field next week.

NOTEBOOK: QB Henne's status 'very doubtful' for Notre Dame

September 9, 2007
BY MARK SNYDER
FREE PRESS SPORTS WRITER
When Chad Henne went down late in the first half, there was an unfamiliar feeling.
Henne, Michigan's senior quarterback, had been hurt earlier in the game, injuring his lower leg, possibly his ankle, but he had returned to the game.

<TABLE id=articlead><TBODY><TR><TD style="TEXT-ALIGN: center">Advertisement
</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>This time, he looked done. But when backup Ryan Mallett couldn't get on his helmet, Henne had to finish the final drive of the first half.
He didn't return to the field after halftime.
After the game, Henne wasn't available to comment, but U-M coach Lloyd Carr said enough.
"He's very doubtful for next week," Carr said.
With Mallett, a true freshman, under center, the Wolverines' chances of a successful season are slimmer.
When asked what was wrong with the offense Saturday, tailback Mike Hart was direct.
"Obviously, in the second half, it's easy (to explain)," he said. "Chad wasn't in there."
Later, he made the statement of the week, the month and his career.
"We're going to win next week, there's no question in my mind. I'm going to get this team ready, guaranteed," Hart said.
That's when he was asked the qualifier: What if you don't have Chad?
"That's a different game plan," he said, rethinking his statement. "I think Ryan can get the job done. With the game plan we had today, it was fostered toward Chad. It was a lot more complicated stuff. When you have a freshman come in and expect to do what Chad does, it's not going to happen for him."
INJURY REPORT: Right guard Alex Mitchell returned -- two weeks early, according to Carr -- from his right knee injury; tailback Carlos Brown returned from a broken hand but it was heavily wrapped; linebacker Jonas Mouton dressed but did not play. Tailback Brandon Minor, who was held out of last week's practices with a foot problem only played late in the game, mostly on kickoff returns. Left tackle Jake Long left with an undisclosed injury, but Carr said he would be fine. ...
"This team had more higher-caliber players than App. State did," U-M defensive tackle Terrance Taylor said. "We played hard till the end. We made a couple mistakes early and then, not to make excuses, but our No. 1 quarterback went down, our No. 1 running back went down and the No. 1 left tackle went out. I'm not making an excuse, but we're not going heads down. We're Michigan, so we're not going to do that."
NOTEBOOK: Michigan last started a season 0-2 in 1998. ... It last lost four straight games in 1967. ... The Wolverines gave up more than 600 yards of total offense for the first time since 2000 when they allowed 654 to Northwestern. ... The 32-point margin of defeat is the ninth-largest since 1920. ... Henne tied John Navarre for the U-M career record in touchdown passes with 72. ... Junior Hemingway and Brown started the game on kickoff returns but were replaced by Minor and Johnny Sears midway through the game. ... Hart's 127 rushing yards made his 20th 100-yard performance. ... Mario Manningham led the Michigan receivers with eight catches for 117 yards.

Colorado St. TE to have MRI on injured knee

Associated Press

<!-- promo plug -->
<!-- end promo plug -->

<!-- end story header --><!-- begin left column --><!-- begin page tools -->Updated: September 9, 2007, 8:31 PM ET

<!-- end page tools --><!-- begin story body --><!-- template inline -->FORT COLLINS, Colo. -- Colorado State tight end Kory Sperry will undergo an MRI on Monday to confirm the diagnosis of a season-ending torn ligament in his left knee.
School spokesman Zak Gilbert said Sunday it's possible Sperry will apply for a medical redshirt so that he can return to the Rams next season.
It's the fourth straight season Colorado State has lost a key player to a season-ending injury knee injury.
Last year, the Rams lost running back Kyle Bell to an ACL injury during the final week of preseason practice. In 2005, it was safety Ben Stratton who went down with a torn ACL in camp and in '04, linebacker Eric Pauly tore an ACL against Utah late in the season.
At 6-foot-6 and 260 pounds, Sperry has the size, speed and skills that make NFL scouts take notice. He scored three touchdowns against Colorado in the opener.
Sperry was hurt in the first quarter of the Rams' 34-28 loss Saturday to California. He hopped off the field after a 6-yard reception for a first down on CSU's first scoring drive.
"When you lose a guy like Kory, that's a major part of your team," coach Sonny Lubick said.
The Rams, who have lost nine straight games, have

Status of Florida WR Caldwell uncertain after MCL sprain

Associated Press

<!-- promo plug -->
<!-- end promo plug -->

<!-- end story header --><!-- begin left column --><!-- begin page tools -->Updated: September 10, 2007, 8:37 AM ET

<!-- end page tools --><!-- begin story body --><!-- template inline -->GAINESVILLE, Fla. -- Fifth-ranked Florida could be without receiver Andre Caldwell and running back Brandon James against No. 22 Tennessee on Saturday.
Caldwell sprained the medial collateral ligament in his right knee in Florida's 59-31 win over Troy on Saturday. James also sprained an ankle.
"I don't have the final word on them," coach Urban Meyer said Sunday. "Obviously, there's some concerns there."
Meyer said he would know the severity of the injuries later Sunday. Losing Caldwell would be a significant setback for the defending national champions.
The Gators also have other injuries.
Receiver Jarred Fayson injured his left knee in the game, but later returned. Backup safety Bryan Thomas also sprained an MCL. And Meyer said speedster Percy Harvin now has tendinitis in his knee in addition to the tendinitis in his Achilles tendon that has bothered him the last few weeks.
Harvin was limited in practice last week because of the Achilles tendon problems and was supposed to play sparingly against the Trojans.
But the Gators (2-0) turned to him after Troy cut a 42-point lead in half. Harvin finished with 56 yards rushing and 42 yards receiving.
Caldwell had one reception for 8 yards, catching a pass on the first play of the third quarter and then fumbling. He also had an 18-yard touchdown run in the first half.
Caldwell, the younger brother of former Florida receiver Reche Caldwell, caught 57 passes for 577 yards and six touchdowns last season.
Without him, Fayson, Cornelius Ingram and Louis Murphy would likely get expanded roles. Ingram caught seven passes for a career-high 105 yards and a touchdown against Troy. Murphy had six receptions for 78 yards.
Fayson also would return kicks if James is unable to play against the Volunteers (1-1). James was suspended for the opener pleading no contest last month to a misdemeanor marijuana possession charge.
He provided a spark for the special teams against Troy, returning one punt 32 yards and returning three kickoffs for 127 yards. He had a 59-yarder that set up a touchdown in the first quarter.
He sprained his ankle in the second half.
"The severity, we'll find out more today," Meyer said. "A lot of it depends on what happens in the course of the night."

Fulmer: Gaines likely out vs. Gators

Posted: Monday September 10, 2007 12:01AM; Updated: Monday September 10, 2007 12:01AM

KNOXVILLE, Tenn. (AP) -- Tennessee cornerback Antonio Gaines probably won't play against Florida on Saturday after sustaining what coach Phillip Fulmer called a "significant injury."
Fulmer said Sunday he was not able to release specifics of the injury, which happened during Tennessee's 39-19 win over Southern Mississippi on Saturday.
Freshman safety Eric Berry moved to corner after Gaines was hurt and Jarod Parrish came in at safety.
Fulmer said he does expect junior punter and kicker Britton Colquitt to be healthy enough to play in the Florida game. Colquitt, who has a leg injury, did not play against Southern Miss.
Freshman Daniel Lincoln is 4-for-4 on his field goal attempts and backup punter Chad Cunningham averaged 40.7 yards on three punts against Southern Miss.

RJ can you keep a heads up for anything on SJST rb Yonus Davis and QB Tarfalis for me..Hopefully these two are OUT this week

only article I could find and it comes from Stanford's rivals site.

When Stanford takes on rival San Jose State on Saturday, the Cardinal will automatically have somewhat of an advantage. San Jose State is without some of its best players, who have recently been injured.

Before the season, the Spartans lost running back Patrick Perry to a season-ending knee injury. The first game of the year didn't bring much better news to the team's running back corps.

Star tailback Yonus Davis didn't play against Kansas State last week due to an ankle injury. Davis joined center Justin Paysinger, defensive tackle Adonis Davis and offensive tackle John Booker on the sidelines with various injuries.

<!--Start Image--><script language="Javascript">document.write(insertImage('/IMAGES/Coach/PHOTO/DICKTOMEY405_12-21.JPG', '', 0, 225, 405, 1, 'Dick Tomey\'s San Jose State Spartans will be without several contributors on Saturday.', 'Rivals.com', 1189403367000, '', 1014, 'Align=Left'));</script><table align="left" border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0" width="413"><tbody><tr><td width="407">
DICKTOMEY405_12-21.JPG
</td><td rowspan="3" width="6">
spacer1.gif
</td></tr><tr><td height="3">
spacer1.gif
</td></tr><tr><td align="center">Dick Tomey's San Jose State Spartans will be without several contributors on Saturday.</td></tr></tbody></table><!-- End Image-->Now things are getting even worse, as starting quarterback Adam Tafralis injured his shoulder in the third quarter of San Jose State's 34-14 loss to Kansas State. The Spartans were in the game, losing 17-7, when Tafralis went down.

San Jose State head coach Dick Tomey doesn't want to make excuses, but there were plenty to make.

"You're never going to hear me say that when somebody goes down, it kills our chances," coach Dick Tomey said. "We still had chances."

Tafalis completed 181-276 passes for 2,284 yards, 21 touchdowns and seven interceptions in 2006. He was also a threat on the ground, rushing 90 times for 224 yards and two touchdowns.

Clearly, San Jose State will miss his presence.

"If you watch the game, he's a warrior," Tomey said. "He's as tough of a guy as I've ever been around. But we've got to be able to play without anybody."

Davis being out hurts badly as well. In 2006, Davis had 163 carries for 1,007 yards and six touchdowns.

With those two players out, among the others, Stanford's chances of winning on Saturday have significantly improved.

Offense to get a boost

Posted September 9, 2007

Just got back from a chilly Sunday evening conditioning session in the rain. CU coach Dan Hawkins said he expects wide receiver Josh Smith and running back Hugh Charles to play next week against Florida State.
Did I mention it was cold out there. Jeez, less than 24 hours ago, the Buffs were "warming up" for their game at Arizona State at 102 degrees. Now it's drizzling and like 50 degrees in Boulder. Guys were shivering through interviews tonight.
Anyway, Hawkins said he had no news on whether Bernard Jackson would play but he is expecting Smith to be healed from his bruised kidney and ready to go against the Seminoles. He also believes Hugh Charles will return from his strained hamstring.
The Buffs need playmakers and those two guys qualify.

Hawkins said the only injury in the ASU game was defensive lineman Jason Brace suffering a sprained ankle. He's day to day. Aren't we all?
The Buffs did some stretching and met as offensive and defensive groups to go over their mistakes from Saturday and then they broke into small teams and played Buff Ball to lighten the mood and get the blood flowing.
I'll have a story about the offense in the morning paper and on Buffzone. I talked to coach Hawkins, quarterback Cody Hawkins, running backs coach Darian Hagan and offensive coordinator Mark Helfrich about where things went wrong Saturday and where they go from here.
They all had some pretty interesting things to say.

Two RedHawk starters suffer knee injuries
Click-2-Listen
By Pete Conrad

Staff Writer

Sunday, September 09, 2007

MINNEAPOLIS — Injuries took a heavy toll on the Miami University football team in its 41-35 triple overtime loss at Minnesota on Saturday afternoon, costing the RedHawks perhaps their two best players.

Joey Hudson, Miami's All-Mid-American Conference middle linebacker, was knocked out of the game with an injury to his right knee with 6:04 remaining in the first quarter. Just like that, the RedHawks had lost the anchor of their defense.

After Miami's only touchdown of the first half, Mike Kokal's 24-yard pass to Dustin Woods, placekicker Trevor Cook missed the extra-point wide left and then turned his right ankle when he was flattened by a Minnesota lineman.

Cook's injury wasn't serious. He came back in the second half to kick two field goals, including the 36-yarder that tied the game with 11 seconds left in regulation, but then was wide right on a 33-yard attempt that would have won it in overtime.

The third casualty of the first half came when defensive end Jordan Stevens hurt his back. The redshirt freshman also was able to return in the second half.

The second injury to a Miami star came with 9:25 left in the fourth quarter. Senior tailback Brandon Murphy was leveled by Minnesota cornerback Jamal Harris, who forced and recovered a fumble that led to the Golden Gophers' fourth touchdown, which appeared to put the game out of reach at 28-12.

After a couple minutes, Murphy sat up and was helped off the field with an injured right knee. Murphy, who seemed headed for his second straight 100-yard game with 78 yards on 12 carries, was unable to return. The extent of his injury is unknown.

According to the Sports Network:

MIAMI-OHIO -
*Linebacker Joey Hudson (9/10, leg) is doubtful for Saturday's game against Cincinnati.

*Running back Brandon Murphy (9/10, right knee) is questionable for Saturday's game against Cincinnati.

*Guard Matt McKeown (9/10, shoulder) is questionable for Saturday's game against Cincinnati.

Offensive tackle Heath Cartwright (8/19, back) is expected to miss the entire season.

The bolded players are starters. Hudson led the team in tackles and INTs last season and is considered the team's best defender. Murphy is the starting RB.<!-- / message -->

Pinkard Out

Cornerback Josh Pinkard (knee) is out for the Nebraska game.
"There's more there than what we thought," Pete Carroll said.
Pinkard said he had a bone bruise although things seem to be getting murkier.

Ricky Lumpkin's injury will sideline him indefinitely

Posted: Tuesday September 11, 2007 5:30PM; Updated: Tuesday September 11, 2007 5:30PM

LEXINGTON, Ky. (AP) -- Kentucky will likely be without two of its top defensive tackles Saturday against Louisville, and Ricky Lumpkin's injury will sideline him indefinitely.

Coach Rich Brooks said Lumpkin has a serious hip injury and Myron Pryor strained a pectoral muscle in last week's victory against Kent State. Pryor is listed as "questionable to doubtful" for Saturday's intrastate rivalry.
"It's a challenge," Brooks said. "The disheartening thing is that both of those guys are at the same position. With everybody healthy there, I felt really good about the rotation and the depth and the competition. Now that's thinned out a little bit."

Brooks said junior Ventrell Jenkins could start for Pryor, and defensive end Travis Day may need to convert to tackle.

Senior Antonio Gaines tore knee ligament on Saturday

Posted: Tuesday September 11, 2007 12:51PM; Updated: Tuesday September 11, 2007 12:51PM
KNOXVILLE, Tenn. (AP) -- Tennessee cornerback Antonio Gaines will miss the rest of the season after sustaining a torn knee ligament against Southern Mississippi.
The redshirt senior will undergo surgery for a torn anterior cruciate ligament but a date has not been set, team athletic trainer Jason McVeigh said.
Gaines made his only two career starts this season and recorded his best game with six tackles in the 22nd-ranked Volunteers' 45-31 loss at No. 8 California. He had one tackle against Southern Miss.
After Gaines was injured in the second half, freshman Eric Berry shifted to cornerback from strong safety, and Jarod Parrish filled in at safety.
Gaines played in all but one game last season, moving up the depth chart with the season-ending injury to cornerback Inquoris "Inky" Johnson, who suffered blood vessel and nerve damage after being hit hard during the second game of the season against Air Force.

Colorado State tight end will miss rest of '07 season

Posted: Tuesday September 11, 2007 2:44PM; Updated: Tuesday September 11, 2007 2:44PM
FORT COLLINS, Colo. (AP) -- Medical tests confirm Colorado State star Kory Sperry has a torn anterior cruciate ligament in his left knee, ending the senior's season.
Surgery has not been scheduled. A timeline for recovery would put him back on the field by next summer should he decide to return next year and petition the NCAA for a medical hardship waiver.
Sperry, a 6-foot-6, 260-pound tight end from Vineland, Colo., was injured in the first quarter of CSU's game against Cal on Saturday. His three-touchdown performance in the opener against Colorado earned him the John Mackey award as the national tight end of the week.

Cushing, Turner to play; Pinkard out

The team practiced on Cromwell Field to prepare for the turf at Nebraska.

By: Grant Tunkel

Posted: 9/11/07

The Trojans have been bitten hard by the injury bug over the last couple weeks, but Monday's injury-related news was mostly promising.

Junior wide receiver Patrick Turner participated in team drills for the first time since he was injured in practice Aug. 28. He practiced in a yellow no-contact jersey - as a precautionary measure - and the plan remains for him to start Saturday at Nebraska.

"I just feel like I'm ready to go. I feel good," Turner said.

Junior linebacker Brian Cushing, hampered by an ankle sprain, didn't practice, but the expectation is for him to return to the practice field by Wednesday and play on Saturday.

"We're not going to push it right now, [we're going to] be patient right now," Cushing said. "I'll be ready for Saturday though. That's the bottom line."

The Trojans' ground game received some good news as well.

Joe McKnight again practiced with a brace, but he participated in the team drills and appears to be nearing 100 percent.

Senior running back Chauncey Washington practiced as well, but whether he plays Saturday is still up in the air.

"He ran around OK - felt fine," said coach Pete Carroll. "We gotta wait until the doctors say it's OK."

It was also a promising day for Matt Spanos.

The senior center donned a large protective brace on his injured right arm and participated in practice yesterday, well ahead of schedule.

"He's trying to make it back. He's determined to do it," Carroll said. "It's gonna be a miraculous return if he can do it."

Still, the plan is for freshman Kris O'Dowd to start Saturday, regardless of any progress Spanos makes during the week.

Unfortunately, the Trojans did have some bad news.

Defensive back Josh Pinkard is out indefinitely, and surgery may be the next option.

"It's not OK. He's not gonna be able to bounce back," Carroll said.

-

The team practiced on Cromwell Field instead of Howard Jones Field Monday, and will practice Friday on field turf in Omaha in preparation for the field conditions at Nebraska.

"I just can't get used to liking it," Carroll said. "There are a lot of people that practice on it and swear by it.

Carroll's feelings, however, aren't shared by his players.

"Our players don't mind. It's not a big deal," he said.

Carroll said that Friday will also be used to help the kickers acclimate to the different field conditions.

-

Saturday will be the Trojans' first game this season in front of a hostile crowd, but Carroll said they don't plan on operating differently.

"We've dealt with these situations for years," he said. "We have ways that we do it. We know it's gonna be difficult. That's a part of being on the road."

It will also be the first collegiate road game for a pair of freshmen starting on the offensive side of the ball - O'Dowd and wide receiver David Ausberry.

Loud road crowds tend to make it difficult for pre-snap communication on the offensive line, and teams sometimes add a cadence to maintain rhythm. But Carroll said nothing will change.

Ausberry, meanwhile, is relishing the chance to play in front of a hostile crowd, and doesn't see Nebraska's fans as an adversary.

"It'll be fun. We're not worried about it," Ausberry said. "We're gonna block the crowd out and keep playing."

-

Junior middle linebacker Rey Maualuga has not lost his trademark ferocity, but he has lost his famous mane of hair.

Perhaps once the most recognizable player on defense, Maualuga will now have to be marked by his number and his tattoos rather than his hair.

Shipley may play against UCF

By Suzanne Halliburton | Wednesday, September 12, 2007, 07:26 PM
Receiver Jordan Shipley may see his first real action of the season Saturday against Central Florida.
Coach Mack Brown said Wednesday that Shipley tested his tender hamstring during warmups before last Saturday’s TCU game. Shipley said then he was 90 percent healthy. Brown said they didn’t want to risk reinjury, so the junior only played special teams as the holder on field goals and extra points.
He’ll be making the trip to Orlando, which is a good sign, since injured players don’t travel.
Shipley strained a hamstring in June, then aggravated again before preseason training. He was in the receiver rotation in 2006, his first healthy season in three years, and caught four touchdown passes.
Texas has played the first two games without two of its top five receivers. The Longhorns could be at full strength by the Rice game, Sept. 22. Billy Pittman, a two-year starter, will be eligible to play against the Owls after serving a three-game suspension for using a friend’s car.

Washington expects to play

32517586.jpg
Wally Skalij / Los Angeles Times
WASHINGTON'S PROCLAMATION: USC's Chauncey Washington proclaimed himself ready to play on Saturday against No. 14 Nebraska.

[COLOR=#999999! important]By Gary Klein, Los Angeles Times Staff Writer
September 13, 2007 [/COLOR]
USC tailback Chauncey Washington was supposed to start the season opener against Idaho, but he suffered a shoulder sprain in the Trojans' final training camp scrimmage.

On Wednesday, the fifth-year senior returned to full-contact drills for the first time in three weeks and proclaimed himself ready to play on Saturday against No. 14 Nebraska.

"I'm ready," Washington said. "I feel fast."

Washington is not expected to supplant C.J. Gable as the starter, but he will be part of a rotation that will also include Stafon Johnson, Joe McKnight and, possibly, Allen Bradford.

Washington led the Trojans in rushing last season despite hamstring and other leg injuries.

In the Rose Bowl against Michigan, the 6-foot-1 Washington weighed close to 240 pounds and carried only two times for eight yards against the Wolverines.

Washington reported for training camp at 216 pounds and has maintained the lower weight despite being sidelined. He said he used mind over matter to come back from the shoulder sprain and was excited about absorbing hits during practice.

"It felt good," he said. "I was happy to be out there."

Coach Pete Carroll said Washington was in, "the best shape of his life," and was eager to see him contribute.

Linebacker Clay Matthews comes from a family steeped in Trojans history.

His father, Clay, was an All-American linebacker in 1977 and his uncle, Bruce, was an All-American offensive lineman in 1982. Both enjoyed long NFL careers. His brother Kyle lettered as a walk-on defensive back in 2003.

Matthews is proud of his background but said, "I don't like to get too much into the whole family thing. I like being my own man."

Matthews, a 6-foot-4, 240-pound fourth-year junior, made a name for himself within the program by progressing from a walk-on, to a scholarship player to a probable starting role against Nebraska.

With Brian Cushing still nursing the sprained ankle he suffered against Idaho, Matthews continued to work with the first-unit defense.

"It's a perfect opportunity for me to come out and show what I have and make the coaches feel comfortable," he said.

Carroll said Matthews was, "primed for this," adding, "This is what depth is all about. . . to be able to jump up with a guy that we trust and believe in and has been there when you don't have a guy that has to step aside."

Cushing was limited Wednesday and said his availability could be a game-time decision.

"There's a big difference between walking and actually coming out here and playing full speed in every direction," he said.

"I'm sure once the adrenaline kicks in Saturday, that's a whole different story."

Receiver Patrick Turner participated in all drills and said he was fully recovered from a neck injury that caused a pinched nerve in his shoulder. . . . Bradford returned to practice after sitting out most of Tuesday because of a knee bruise. . . . Senior Drew Radovich and sophomore Charles Brown continued to alternate at right tackle. . . . The Trojans will have a short practice this afternoon, then leave for the airport to board a charter to Omaha. The team will practice Friday at a local high school and then have a walk-through at Memorial Stadium. . . . ESPN's "College GameDay" will originate from Lincoln, Neb., on Saturday.

Longhorn safety Gatewood arrested on drug charge

Thursday, September 13, 2007, 10:40 AM
Longhorn senior safety Tyrell Gatewood was booked into Travis County Jail at 12:36 a.m. Thursday on a misdemeanor charge of possession of a dangerous drug.
He also faces what jail records describe as an “out of county misdemeanor.”
This is the second run-in with the law for the 22-year-old Gatewood in the past year. He was in the car with cornerback Tarell Brown and former linebacker Aaron Harris last year when they were pulled over a before the Ohio State game, resulting in marijuana and gun possession charges.
The charge against Gatewood — a misdemeanor charge of marijuana possession — was later dropped when he passed a drug test, but he and Brown were suspended for the Ohio State game.

Sovie, Deliz out for the season

Naval Academy coach Paul Johnson dropped a bombshell after football practice today, announcing that two defensive starters - inside linebacker Clint Sovie and free safety Jeff Deliz - will be undergoing surgery and will be out for the entire season.
Up until yesterday, Sovie and Deliz had been listed as "doubtful" for this Saturday's home opener against Ball State. Both were injured during the Rutgers game and have been hobbling around on crutches ever since. However, there was no indication that Sovie's ankle injury and Deliz's leg injury were serious enough to require season-ending surgery.
"You asked about Sovie and Deliz about starting. It looks like the prognosis is they're out for the year. They're both going to have surgery tomorrow," Johnson said during his post-practice press conference.
Asked if that news was a surprise, Johnson said: "Not to me. We had to wait until everything was confirmed. We had to take another look, and that's the word we got so they're probably going to be out for the year."
Deliz is a senior while Sovie is a junior. Johnson did not want to address whether Navy would seek to regain a year of eligibility for the two players. In rare instances in the past, football players at service academies who suffered injuries that prevented them from attending classes have been able to gain an extra year of eligibility since they fell behind in school and could not graduate on time.
The loss of Sovie and Deliz puts the pressure on numerous youngsters who must now fill the void, notably sophomore inside linebacker Ross Pospisil and freshman safety Wyatt Middleton. Those are the two players who got the bulk of playing time in place of Sovie and Deliz during the Rutgers game and will likely start Saturday against Ball State.
"One man's misery is another man's opportunity," Johnson said. "It hurts any time you lose guys, especially good players. They're both (Sovie and Deliz) good players for us. There is no use crying over spilled milk. You move on."
Pospisil was as surprised as anyone when informed moments later that Sovie would undergo surgery and be out for the entire season.
"That's news to me. I hadn't heard that until now," the fresh-faced sophomore out of Texas said. "First and foremost, thoughts and prayers to Clint and Jeff for a full recovery. You never want to see that happen to anyone, much less two major leaders of your team. It just means that the rest of us on defense all need to step up."

ahhhh South Carolina is going to be all types of banged up going into LSU. Not good. Nathan Pepper had an INT return for a TD and sprained his knee in the endzone. Brandon Issac might of popped the shoulder he had surgery on out of place. not good at all. Gurminder Thind at Guard left the game with an ankle sprain. Issac is a big loss in the secondary, he was playing very well. Pepper is a loss as well on the DL. This is all unoffical but it don't look good

Purdue Injury Report:

While that period was painful to witness, the worst part of the game was losing Jaycen Taylor. I hear he's a good locker room guy...but he's also a good on-the-field guy. Taylor left the game in the second quarter. It looks like Taylor will be out for a minimum of 6 weeks, and a maximum of 9 with a broken arm. The best-case-scenario would be that the Boilers put him on the shelf for a season and he uses a redshirt...Not ideal, but at least he'll have two more seasons in the gold and black.

Ga. Tech OT Howard cleared to play

Posted: Friday September 14, 2007 11:31PM; Updated: Friday September 14, 2007 11:31PM

ATLANTA (AP) -- Georgia Tech offensive lineman Cord Howard was cleared to play the rest of the season after sitting out the No. 21 Yellow Jackets' first two games because of an academic issue.
Howard, a sophomore, has practiced with the team since preseason drills began in early August, but was not cleared to play in wins over Notre Dame and Samford. The school did not specify the issue that kept him off the field.
"We are happy to have Cord back and cleared to play," coach Chan Gailey said Friday. "We fully expect him to contribute the rest of the season."
Howard showed promise as a redshirt freshman. His playing time increased late last season as he worked at both guard and tackle.

The Gamecocks could be missing two key defensive players when they take on LSU is six days. Defensive back Brandon Isaac's shoulder "popped out" in Saturday night's game but team doctors were able to put it back into place. Spurrier said he might miss one or two games.

"It's not a season-ending injury, it appears," Spurrier said. "He may have to wear a shoulder harness to protect it."

Defensive tackle Nathan Pepper will have a MRI on his knee Monday or Tuesday after he left the S.C. State game in the first quarter after he returned an interception 19 yards for a touchdown. But as soon as he crossed into the end zone, he pulled up and fell to the ground.

Team doctors fear Pepper could have a ligament tear, Spurrier said. If so, surgery would be required and his junior season will be over after three games.

"He was just running into the end zone and somehow or the other he put his foot into the ground wrong, I guess," Spurrier said. "But that's where it happened, in the end zone. Nobody touched him."

-- OL James Thompson returns this week from his three-game suspension. Spurrier said he would get a chance to see if he can help out at guard.

he was the original starter for opening day.

keep an eye on this..

Per Les Miles:

Early Doucet has a "potentially serious" groin injury that will cause him to miss the USCe game this weekend, and possibly much more.

The word is he has a torn groin. All thats out there for sure is that he's going to miss this weekend.

Miles: WR may be out several games
By CARL DUBOIS
Advocate sportswriter
Published: Sep 17, 2007 - Page: 1C
LSU football coach Les Miles said senior wide receiver Early Doucet, who didn’t play in a 44-0 victory Saturday over Middle Tennessee, could miss multiple games because of an unspecified injury.
“It appears to be a pretty significant injury,” Miles said Sunday.
He said LSU medical staff will evaluate Doucet daily, concerned that he might be lost for more than one game.
“That’s our fear,” Miles said.
Miles wouldn’t confirm radio reports that Doucet, LSU’s most experienced receiver, suffered a groin injury.
“I’m not going to comment,” he said.
Second-ranked LSU (3-0) plays No. 12-ranked South Carolina (3-0) at 2:30 p.m. Saturday in Tiger Stadium, a game time dictated by CBS Sports, which on Sunday selected the game for its afternoon showcase.
Both teams are 1-0 in the Southeastern Conference.
LSU defeated Middle Tennessee without Doucet, fifth-year senior quarterback Matt Flynn and fifth-year senior offensive guard Will Arnold. Miles said Flynn, who suffered a high ankle sprain Sept. 8 against Virginia Tech, is still listed as a day-to-day evaluation.
“He’s going to be a lot better this week than he was last,” Miles said, “and yet you want to make sure that it’s right.”
Sophomore quarterback Ryan Perrilloux made his first college start and completed 20 of 25 passes for 298 yards and three touchdowns.
Miles said Arnold suffered a viral infection that affected his knees. Arnold missed most of the 2006 season because of an ankle injury and has also suffered knee injuries.
“We hope like heck we can get him back this week,” Miles said, “but I’m not certain that that’s possible.
“It’s not an injury. It’s not a specific issue. It’s more of a sickness.”
Doucet became LSU’s primary option in the passing game after the Tigers lost receivers Dwayne Bowe and Craig Davis, both first-round picks, to the 2007 NFL Draft in April. Doucet was also a return man on special teams.
Miles said Doucet’s injury occurred late in a Friday practice known as the “walk-through,” when players go over substitutions and other situations on the even of a game.
“It was late in practice,” Miles said, “and it was something that we do on a regular basis, the last thing that we do. He just made a quick movement.”
The players wear sweats for the Friday walk-through, so there is no contact, Miles said.
He said Doucet wasn’t hit by another player. Instead, Miles said, Doucet injured himself with “a nothing,” a minor but sudden movement.
“It just popped on him,” Miles said. “It would certainly operate in the unusual category.”
Miles acknowledged some concern that Flynn’s injury might be a type that lingers.
“We’ve given some thought to it, and we certainly have a plan,” Miles said, “but I don’t know if that plan is as significant as maybe the history behind his injuries.
“You’d like to think that could make a difference in that process.”
Flynn played the last four games of his high school career, including a state semifinal appearance with Tyler (Texas) Lee High School, with a broken foot.
His father, former Baylor quarterback Alvin Flynn, said Flynn told his parents his ankle was OK when they spoke with him last week, then said “you’ve got to understand Matt; if it’s about to fall off, he’ll say it’s OK.”
Miles said he could see Flynn’s desire to be on the field.
“He wanted to play,” Miles said, his voice throttling with emphasis. “There isn’t any question he wanted to play, but I think he understands that the quality of the games that remain are pretty significant, and that it might be smart not to maybe play.”
Miles said he made the decision late Thursday to start Perrilloux instead of Flynn and that he decided in the second quarter Saturday to keep Flynn entirely out of the game.
“That defense was playing so well, I knew we’d be fine,” Miles said. “I just wanted to give him some rest.”
Perrilloux handled his first start well, Miles said.
“He didn’t manage a couple of situations just right. He made some mistakes and did some things we would like to have back, but all in all I thought he played pretty well,” Miles said. “He handled the spotlight very comfortably. He didn’t come out with just great success in the first couple of plays, yet he hung in there and made a couple of plays with his feet for first downs.
“He got on track with the throwing game, and then again made some mistakes. He made some adjustments. He handled the game well. He understood where he was at and how to make it better. He took coaching and made adjustments during the series. I like it. I like that about him.”

Huskers' Christensen out for season

Posted: Monday September 17, 2007 1:32PM; Updated: Monday September 17, 2007 1:32PM

LINCOLN, Neb. (AP) -- Nebraska guard Andy Christensen will miss the rest of the season after injuring his left knee against Southern California, coach Bill Callahan said Monday.
Christensen was hurt on the Cornhuskers' second offensive series when he was blocking downfield on a shovel-pass play. Mike Huff replaced Christensen and likely will start against Ball State on Saturday.
Christensen started eight of 14 games last season after sitting out 2005 with a shoulder injury.
Callahan said cornerback Zackary Bowman, who limped to the sidelines in the second quarter and didn't return, is OK and will play against the Cardinals.

3 Texas players reinstated for Rice

Posted: Monday September 17, 2007 3:58PM; Updated: Monday September 17, 2007 3:58PM

AUSTIN, Texas (AP) -- Three Texas players suspended for the first three games have been reinstated and should be available to play Saturday against Rice, coach Mack Brown said Monday.
Sophomore linebacker Sergio Kindle and junior defensive end Henry Melton were suspended for three games at the start of training camp after summer drunken driving arrests.
Wide receiver Billy Pittman was suspended for three games after the school determined he received improper benefits for the use of a friend's car.
"(Kindle and Melton) are great players. I think they can be very effective," cornerback Brandon Foster said.
Pittman has 69 catches for 1,206 yards and nine touchdowns over the last two seasons.

Back