TEX is a YANKEE

Free agent first baseman Mark Teixeira has reached agreement with the New York Yankees on an eight-year contract worth more than $170 million, two sources involved in the negotiations tells ESPN The Magazine's Buster Olney.
The Yankees swooped in on Teixeira on Tuesday when it was believed the Boston Red Sox or the Washington Nationals were the likeliest to be his future employer. The Red Sox's offer was believed to be in the range of $170 million, and the Nationals reached out with an offer perhaps greater than that of Boston.
Teixeira finished last season with the Los Angeles Angels following a trade from Atlanta. The Angels withdrew from negotiations on Sunday night, in a very public manner, and say they were moving on to other players.
Teixeira had made it clear that he wanted to make a decision on where to play next season and beyond by Christmas.
Buster Olney is a senior writer for ESPN The Magazine.

8 year 170 or 180 whatever it is, no opt out claus, huh? why not boston, tex? another scumbag to hate in ny.

never pulled it. way to spurn a team thats made not secret for teh last two years that he was their target. then they fly to texas to formally introduce, and make him a great offer, and he does this?

never pulled it. way to spurn a team thats made not secret for teh last two years that he was their target. then they fly to texas to formally introduce, and make him a great offer, and he does this?

i hear ya. and honestly feel for you guys. not being sarcastic or anything, fwiw.

:36_11_6:

roflmao. sour grapes?

haha, hey im a straight shooter. when i seen it on the bottom line my heart sunk. i am in shock right now, i expected the sox to land him unless there was an outrageous offer. but to go to ny for basically the same the sox offered is puzzling.

Now the Brewers only get a 2nd rounder for Sabathia. Total bullshit.

Yeah I have a lot of sour fucking grapes... only way brewers didn't get a #1 for CC was if a team signed both CC and Tex

FUCK THE YANKEES and all their Yag fans! Actually fuck the bitch fans even more.

actually just all the fans who use screen names that say something "Yanks" in them

My apologies to the rest of the fans

<TABLE class=tablehead style="FLOAT: left; MARGIN: 0px 6px; WIDTH: 48%" cellSpacing=1 cellPadding=3><TBODY><TR class=oddrow><TD>29. Tampa Bay</TD><TD align=right>43,422,997</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Maybe they beat Tampa Bay this year?
:36_11_6:

Doubt it. This is going to make it even more fun for me to watch them flail away this year. Couldn't be happier. I hope they find a way to add Manny to the mix. Really do.

Baseball is so fucked up. 410 million in one offseason

agree baseball is fucked up...but i'll bet it's for very different reasons.

mlb is a collection of teams, so it's not the same as industries competing in a free mkt. that said...mlb is only as strong as the weakest franchise. the yanks are the strongest link in the mlb chain, and they do a lot to carry the whole.

i'll bash on the marlins, as one of the weakest links.
miami is not a small mkt. population, income, etc...there is no reason they can't spend as much as others. how is miami less than boston, detroit, cleveland, etc?
the marlins receive more per year from just revenue sharing, mlb tv, and mlb.com (by far) then they spend on payroll. so what i'm briefly saying is that their owner is basically stealing/cheating his/their fans and the team...and all of mlb, for that matter.
the way to fix it...either sell the franchise, move the franchise, or dump the franchise. and the whole will be better off.

people will bring up salary cap as well. problem is that everyone who does wants it all to go their way.
there is a soft cap now, obviously. but to have an effective cap (of any kind), you also need a floor. for example...say there's a soft cap of 150 mil. there are 2 sides to everything...so there needs to be a soft floor, roughly 50% of the cap...if you truly want things to be equitable/competitive. otherwise, it's all meaningless.
others will ask why not a hard cap like the NFL? simple...because you actually have guaranteed contracts in MLB. if there's to be a hard cap...and a hard floor...it's got to go the whole 9 yards, which the players will never allow.

anyways, back to topic...
the yanks had a ton of payroll coming off the books this year. well over 80 million...with more to come off (damon/matsui) the following offseason. so they dropped over 80 million...and they've added 61 million between cupcake, aj, and tex. bottom line...the totals can freak some of you out...but the overall payroll is still going down.

the yanks had a ton of payroll coming off the books this year. well over 80 million...with more to come off (damon/matsui) the following offseason. so they dropped over 80 million...and they've added 61 million between cupcake, aj, and tex. bottom line...the totals can freak some of you out...but the overall payroll is still going down.

more details coming out...
it's 22.5 mil a season...so the yanks have spent 62 million/year on the 3.

agree baseball is fucked up...but i'll bet it's for very different reasons.

mlb is a collection of teams, so it's not the same as industries competing in a free mkt. that said...mlb is only as strong as the weakest franchise. the yanks are the strongest link in the mlb chain, and they do a lot to carry the whole.

i'll bash on the marlins, as one of the weakest links.
miami is not a small mkt. population, income, etc...there is no reason they can't spend as much as others. how is miami less than boston, detroit, cleveland, etc?
the marlins receive more per year from just revenue sharing, mlb tv, and mlb.com (by far) then they spend on payroll. so what i'm briefly saying is that their owner is basically stealing/cheating his/their fans and the team...and all of mlb, for that matter.
the way to fix it...either sell the franchise, move the franchise, or dump the franchise. and the whole will be better off.

people will bring up salary cap as well. problem is that everyone who does wants it all to go their way.
there is a soft cap now, obviously. but to have an effective cap (of any kind), you also need a floor. for example...say there's a soft cap of 150 mil. there are 2 sides to everything...so there needs to be a soft floor, roughly 50% of the cap...if you truly want things to be equitable/competitive. otherwise, it's all meaningless.
others will ask why not a hard cap like the NFL? simple...because you actually have guaranteed contracts in MLB. if there's to be a hard cap...and a hard floor...it's got to go the whole 9 yards, which the players will never allow.

anyways, back to topic...

Actually agree with a lot of what you said here. I'll never bitch about them signing an all star team as it's their right to do it. They're the ones who paid 27 million last year in taxes that went to the MLW's of the world. I've never rooted for the Yankees for a day in my life, but you can't blame them for these signings.

Hearing Boston fans complain about it is really the funny part. Pot meet kettle. Why call Tex out? He got an extra 14 million dollars is sounds like. I just hope he claims Florida as his home residence. :)

Interesting that none of these big money acquisitions have never won anything

410 mil for a bunch of losers is a lot of scratch.....

more details coming out...
it's 22.5 mil a season...so the yanks have spent 62 million/year on the 3.

from espn...

The contract will pay Teixeira an average of $22.5 million per season.
The Yankees had $88.5 million coming off the books that, even with the Teixeira contract, they expect their payroll to fall below $200 million.

so still 26.5 mil below last season, as of today.

Why is this?

Tex was #1 free agent, CC #2 (manny is 3, Burnett 4 i think)

Anyways... each team only has 1 pick... if in this case one team signs all 3 the highest pick gets 1st round and sandwich, Brewers get Yankees 2nd round and sandwich, Blue Jays get 3rd round and sandwich -- Yanks also get to hang on to their other 1st rounder they get for whats his name not signing last year. that's protected

from espn...

The contract will pay Teixeira an average of $22.5 million per season.
The Yankees had $88.5 million coming off the books that, even with the Teixeira contract, they expect their payroll to fall below $200 million.

so still 26.5 mil below last season, as of today.

So Sheets, Fuentes, and Manny next?

Tex was #1 free agent, CC #2 (manny is 3, Burnett 4 i think)

Anyways... each team only has 1 pick... if in this case one team signs all 3 the highest pick gets 1st round and sandwich, Brewers get Yankees 2nd round and sandwich, Blue Jays get 3rd round and sandwich -- Yanks also get to hang on to their other 1st rounder they get for whats his name not signing last year. that's protected

all true. gerrit cole went to college, so the yanks still get that 1st round pick. plus, they should gain something later when abreu/giambi sign elsewhere...

Wow. I'm done with baseball for good now. Just so poorly ran compared to NFL and NBA. Two leagues that crush baseball in terms of giving fans what they want and giving every market a chance. This is a joke.

I was starting to get back into baseball last year, which doesn't say much. The sport, well stinks. The Yanks had a bum club that I could actually cheer for... a mix of washed up stars and young talent.

Well, if they lose AGAIN, this year, that makes it almost a decade of losing with a rediculous payroll. That will be the biggest joke IMO in the history of sports. That is worse than 0-16 Lions.

Problem is, also how bad the Yankees still could be.

Glaring holes at 2nd, poor defense, an 80 year old catcher but they spend a HALF BILLION DOLLARS on the top 3 free agents?

Burnett, sucks. Overrated POS.

CC doesn't even like NY.

Tex is a Boris' toy. He doesn't strike me as a guy who will be producing in 3+ years. Sorry.

Yankees stink, I'm off them once again. Most pathetic team in baseball, and baseball is the most pathetically run major sports league.

^^^^ spek speaks for me from now on!

this is complete fucking bullshit and nothing else needs to be said

a salary cap needs to be implemented so teams can not go out and just buy themselves a fucking team. this is bullshit. lets give them manny, sheets and whoeveer else is on the market too.

meanwhile, my nats are still scouting talent out from the dominican republic and and developing their farm team. why should it matter though? theyll never be good when teams like the stankees can go out and buy themsleves a team in ONE offseason.

Play to Win the game.

Thats what the Yankees do and have always done.

Its the Greatest Franchise in the World

Oh, and, We're probably not done yet

i feel ya, cap.
gotta feel bad for both the O's and Nats. like i said somewhere else, at least those teams are trying to improve. and that's a helluva lot more than you can say about some other teams.
like pudge going to detroit a ways back...you just hope that there'll be a "first," and that others will eventually follow him thru that door.

anyways, i hope the nats go get manny now...prolly with a 2 year offer. that'll help, as it only takes one to begin a change.

as for the o's...they have a very solid, young nucleus...and would be better off going in another direction (from manny). there are bargains out there, like abreu or giambi...for shorter terms...at roughly 1/3 the cost of tex.

anyways...back to the yanks. ;)
damon, matsui, swisher, melky, and nady...one of the 5 OFers will definitely be traded now. which 1 is the question.
damon and matsui...though over-priced...are valuable in that they only have 1 year remaining on their contracts. swisher lost much of his value last year. melky has value because he'll be cheap for a few more years. and nady is a bargain right now as well.
so which one will they deal?

as for the other #'s from before/above...
glad to see espn report it fairly and correctly, as i'm sure the majority of them are jsut itching to jump on the bash-yankee bandwagon. musta been tough especially for steve phillips jsut now, lol.

Unfortunately they dont hand out the trophy in December

and I still like the WFC's lineup way better

and the rotation is injury prone and choke prone

and the bullpen is riddled with holes

congrats on your impending 3rd place in the AL East finish

well done.

Play to Win the game.

Thats what the Yankees do and have always done.

Its the Greatest Franchise in the World

Oh, and, We're probably not done yet

love em or hate them...at least you have to respect the effort.
obviously there'll be a ton of (misguided) outrage. but what is the team's responsibility? to themselves and to their fans? exactly.

Unfortunately they dont hand out the trophy in December

and I still like the WFC's lineup way better

and the rotation is injury prone and choke prone

and the bullpen is riddled with holes

congrats on your impending 3rd place in the AL East finish

well done.

no they don't...and nothing is won today.

as for the rest...
delusional, with your 1 ring in like forever. ;)

the WFC's lineup being better than the Yankees' is not delusional, its fact

and thats with a pitcher hitting 9th...still better

The bullpen needs Joba in it in my opinion...as well as one more solid guy...fuentes would be perfect (i thought he was who the mets shoulda got instead of KFraud)

As for the rotation, Ill just compare it to the WFC, seeing as how thats the high water mark:

King "World Series MVP" Cole > C. "Choke Artist" C.
Brett "Big Game" Myers > A.J. "The Next Carl Pavano" Burnett
Jamie "Ageless Wonder" Moyer > Chien-Ming "Questionable Off an Injury" Wang
Joe "Babe Ruth" Blanton > Phil "Coulda Been Traded for Johan" Hughes
JA "LHP Stud Prospect" Happ or Carlos "RHP Stud Prospect" Corrasco > Andy "Needs to Get Back on the HGH" Pettite

Im guessing they sign Derek "Please Dont Look at My '08 Road Splits" Lowe or Ben "Ill Try Any Injury Once" Sheets to take the spot of Hughes in the rotation, but it still wont be enough to eclipse the WFC

Back