TEX is a YANKEE

arnt we a cocky bunch over in the NL East.

Show some respect to the Greatest Franchise ever established.

King "World Series MVP" Cole > C. "Choke Artist" C.
Brett "Big Game" Myers > A.J. "The Next Carl Pavano" Burnett
Jamie "Ageless Wonder" Moyer > Chien-Ming "Questionable Off an Injury" Wang
Joe "Babe Ruth" Blanton > Phil "Coulda Been Traded for Johan" Hughes
JA "LHP Stud Prospect" Happ or Carlos "RHP Stud Prospect" Corrasco > Andy "Needs to Get Back on the HGH" Pettite

Seriously, get off the crack.

Hamels is the only 1 with a rotation spot on the Yankees.

ill say as much as its gonna piss off the rest of the fans in the country, the sox-yanks rivalry is gonna be full blast again, from what it was lacking the last few years (yanks winning). tex is almost going to be hated as much as arod (saying a lot) and even more so than damon. sox are still as good as any team in the league, lets not kid ourselves, its just going to be a premium that ortiz is healthy (which he had said since last year that all he need was extended rest), and that lowell bounces back. lowell is iffy, but who knows we'll have to see.

although i was very shocked earlier by this turn of events, a couple years from now this could look VERY good for boston. the yanks OVERPAY YET AGAIN for another free agent and are tied up for the longhall. boston held firm on their value of tex and didnt give in, which i respect. the legend of georgie porgy lives on as he will never let someone the yankees and sox both covet, go to boston. the man has an addiction to outbidding boston, because he knows he can. at this time, its never been better than being a sox fan. once again the yanks are "favorites" and media darlings of the world and the sox will grind out the season as the underdogs they are. see ya in october...

lol, didn't mean it like that, SD.
we're in different leagues. the yanks, bosox, and rays will battle it out in the al east. but the phils need to worry about the mutts...not anyone else...because with k-rod, the nl east is very much up for grabs.

that said...still disagree w/ a lot of your comparisons.

Wow. I'm done with baseball for good now. Just so poorly ran compared to NFL and NBA. Two leagues that crush baseball in terms of giving fans what they want and giving every market a chance. This is a joke.

I was starting to get back into baseball last year, which doesn't say much. The sport, well stinks. The Yanks had a bum club that I could actually cheer for... a mix of washed up stars and young talent.

Well, if they lose AGAIN, this year, that makes it almost a decade of losing with a rediculous payroll. That will be the biggest joke IMO in the history of sports. That is worse than 0-16 Lions.

Problem is, also how bad the Yankees still could be.

Glaring holes at 2nd, poor defense, an 80 year old catcher but they spend a HALF BILLION DOLLARS on the top 3 free agents?

Burnett, sucks. Overrated POS.

CC doesn't even like NY.

Tex is a Boris' toy. He doesn't strike me as a guy who will be producing in 3+ years. Sorry.

Yankees stink, I'm off them once again. Most pathetic team in baseball, and baseball is the most pathetically run major sports league.

:36_11_6:

Damn, that Yankee Envy is running strong....

John Henry is spinning and making excuses, lol. Only thing good about him is that he shares the name of one of my favorite thoroughbreds.
'an_horse'

ill say as much as its gonna piss off the rest of the fans in the country, the sox-yanks rivalry is gonna be full blast again, from what it was lacking the last few years (yanks winning). tex is almost going to be hated as much as arod (saying a lot) and even more so than damon. sox are still as good as any team in the league, lets not kid ourselves, its just going to be a premium that ortiz is healthy (which he had said since last year that all he need was extended rest), and that lowell bounces back. lowell is iffy, but who knows we'll have to see.

although i was very shocked earlier by this turn of events, a couple years from now this could look VERY good for boston. the yanks OVERPAY YET AGAIN for another free agent and are tied up for the longhall. boston held firm on their value of tex and didnt give in, which i respect. the legend of georgie porgy lives on as he will never let someone the yankees and sox both covet, go to boston. the man has an addiction to outbidding boston, because he knows he can. at this time, its never been better than being a sox fan. once again the yanks are "favorites" and media darlings of the world and the sox will grind out the season as the underdogs they are. see ya in october...

:36_11_6:

I LOVE the BoSox fans who claim that The Yanks have ever stopped winning......:tiphat:

What do the numbers 95, 103, 101, 101, 95, 97, 94 and 89 represent?

Looks to me like The Most Successful Regular Season Team in MLB....since their last WS Championship....or The Yanks.

Mully :cheers:

PS Did y'all hear who we signed to play 1B?

No surprise at all. Yanks have been doing this for 90 years, overdrive the last 60. Never the smartest, always the richest. To put this professional franchise in the class of Auerbach's Celtics, George Halas' Bears, Lombardi's Packers, Paul Brown's Browns, the Rooney's Steelers, today's Patriots (and many, many others) is to disregard that the rest of the list outsmarted the competition. Yanks just buy. Yawn.

I think C.C., as much as I'd now like to see him fail miserably on the big stage, has some big game innings in him if they get there. Tribe and Brewers rode him like a rented mule (which, I guess, he was) the last couple years, and then asked him to pick up the pace. Another round of playoff shitburgers for a third team will have me wondering though. The Tex and Burnett signings aren't making me sweat too much as an AL Yankee-hater.

Hurts so much right now but will make it even sweeter when they are on the golf course in October.

I do like the Texiera signing from the point of view that the Yankees are now set at 1B for 8 years, so that takes a little of Howards leverage/options of places to go if he leaves away....

I do like the Texiera signing from the point of view that the Yankees are now set at 1B for 8 years, so that takes a little of Howards leverage/options to leave away....

picked up a sandwich from a philly cheesesteak place out here about an hour ago, for the tcu game. they got the place littered with philly stuff. anyways, the owner's a cool old guy...and he liked the signing...and was amused by whole yankee/bosox thing.

good point though. but i'll bet the bosox go after fat fielder or howard somewhere down the road.

I hope they go after Manny also, There's NO WAY those egos will be able to stand each other even for a full season!!

62 Million on three players!! Isn't that even more than the American League Champion Tampa Bay Rays WHOLE payroll?!?!?

Sounds like sour grapes because it tastes just that bad!! Kind of like when A-Hole spurned the Sox!! How many championships have they won with him in the line up anyways???

---DW---

Sounds like sour grapes because it tastes just that bad!! Kind of like when A-Hole spurned the Sox!! How many championships have they won with him in the line up anyways???

---DW---

believe me...i was very happy when arod opted out...not when he came crawling back...and would love to see him traded.

some quotes:

from the halos...class organization.
"They have the revenue sources that most don't have, and they have a lot of money coming off the books this season," Angels general manager Tony Reagins, who had hoped to retain Teixeira, told The Associated Press on Tuesday night. "So if they're willing and able to spend, I'm pretty sure they've made some good investments."
"You just want to wish the player well and you hope he made the right choice for him and his family," Reagins told AP. "At the end of the day, I think he wound up where he wanted to be."
(bingo)

from the brewers...like their opinion on tex matters. this wasn't cupcake, after all. but typical, just the same.
"At the rate the Yankees are going, I'm not sure anyone can compete with them," Milwaukee Brewers owner Mark Attanasio told Bloomberg News in an e-mail. "Frankly, the sport might need a salary cap."
(fine...so long as there's a salary floor at least 50% of the cap...so there can be no more pathetic excuses. fucking moron. guess it doesn't matter that their payroll will still be coming down. but the whole picture doesn't matter, does it.)

from the bosox...well, enough said.
"From the moment we arrived in Boston in late 2001, we saw it as a monumental challenge," team owner John Henry said in an e-mail to The Associated Press. "We sought to reduce the financial gap and succeeded to a degree. Now with a new stadium filled with revenue opportunities, they have leaped away from us again. So we have to be even more careful in deploying our resources."
(excuses are like assholes. like they couldn't have given another 1.5 million a year. bottom line...why look at themselves, and why look at why tex didn't really want to go to boston, when there's the evil empire to blame. the fans will buy it.)

do honestly feel bad for the O's and Nats. they were trying to do the right thing.

I don't think Yanks26Sox7 truly understands the magnitude of the advantage with which the New York Yankees operate, particularly right now, this offseason. Even compared to Boston, LAD, Anaheim, Atlanta, Mutts, all the usual suspects.

I'm not saying their team isn't better. This FA overpayment party was expected, especially since every year we hear how great they are but they couldn't make it out of the first round as they were constructed, or last year make the postseason. I'm just saying the way they have rebuilt the team isn't impressive, or worth a salute outside the typical New York circle jerk. Usually, the guy who brings the most money to the auction buys the most stuff. It's what the Yankees do. Buy free agents and hope they perform.

Most teams (ALL others? ... not sure ...) are cutting costs and tightening belts. Season ticket and skybox accounts are being cancelled, advertisers are dropping out or going under. These are facts. Yanks picked a good year to swing their dicks.

Good point, smoke 'em if you got 'em.

Enjoy those Christmas presents, two pitchers and a slugger.

I do like the Texiera signing from the point of view that the Yankees are now set at 1B for 8 years, so that takes a little of Howards leverage/options of places to go if he leaves away....

They will need a DH still... I am sure Prince will be joining CC though.

They are still older then dirt guys so let's wait for them to play 162 games before we crown they ass.

Posada, Matsui, and Damon (childhood friend that used to beat me up as a kid, so he's lucky i don't run into him) are all question marks with injuries.

Cano, Melky, and Swisher are question marks.

I still like what the Rays have because of their youth and almost all their players are just reaching the best part of their careers.

Either way they won't be able to handle the dynasty run of the Texas Rangers come 2011 anyway.

now that's the optimism that spring brings...

LOL you heard it here first 2010 and 2011 is our year. The young arms in the Texas farm system are sick. The best farm system this team has had in 20 years (Gonzalez, Pudge, Sosa, W. Alvarez, K.Brown, D. Palmer, R. Nen, etc).

The Rangers made out like a bandit with Tex. Feliz, Andrus, Salty, Harrison, and B. Jones for a year and a half of Tex was a steal.

any chance yankee's get manny? seriously? im almost cheering for this so baseball can just be a total joke

In just this offseason pretty sure that the Yankee's have outspent the Pirates by 388 million.

Seriously why would they even play in the league? no chance. Never had one, but this type of thing wipes them off the map

LOL you heard it here first 2010 and 2011 is our year. The young arms in the Texas farm system are sick. The best farm system this team has had in 20 years (Gonzalez, Pudge, Sosa, W. Alvarez, K.Brown, D. Palmer, R. Nen, etc).

The Rangers made out like a bandit with Tex. Feliz, Andrus, Salty, Harrison, and B. Jones for a year and a half of Tex was a steal.

i know, bro. ryan's doing a pretty good job building.

In just this offseason pretty sure that the Yankee's have outspent the Pirates by 388 million.

Seriously why would they even play in the league? no chance. Never had one, but this type of thing wipes them off the map

You put more money in scouting, the draft, and latin american signings.

You try to become the A's, Twins, and Marlins. Teams that build from the farm system then when the player is about to bolt for FA you dump him on a team for numerous prospects and continue the cycle.

The Rays built their team from being the worst team in baseball every year and accumulating draft picks. The only way they will be able to keep this up is trade their guys when they are about a year or two away from free agency and bolster their farm.

Its the only chance small market teams have.

The Rays built their team from being the worst team in baseball every year and accumulating draft picks. The only way they will be able to keep this up is trade their guys when they are about a year or two away from free agency and bolster their farm.

true and false. the false part is that it's key to lock up the top talent before they become arbitration eligible.
which is why they gave longoria a contract right outta the gate...and have so many other former top picks locked up in long term deals.

everything u said is true, horn...but this step is also crucial.

I have been all for a salary cap with a ceiling and a floor . All these cheap owners want to take the Luxury Tax money and pocket it rather then build a franchise .

I'll be dead honest and say I didnt want CC or Tex but if they signed on sounds good to me . AJ and Manny would have been fine by me .

Yanks spent a shit load of money but all new stadiums do well and yanks are selling out already .

Truth is look at all the dead weight salary we shed and will still havent spent that money yet .

Pettitte 16mil , Moose 11mil , Pavano 11mil?
Abreu 16 mil and Giambi 23.5 mil ?

That had to be 75 million off the books . Hopefully Matsui goes as well now.

If you could get AJ , CC , Tex and Manny for the same money as those 5 you would be crazy not do it .....

AJ and CC make what those 3 SP made .

Tex avgs a tad less then Giambi made which means Manny at 20million is a dollar for dollar wash.

Matsui makes 13 million as well ...

Yanks have two tiers of players 10mill+ and 4 mill or less .....

I think the 400 million is way overblown cause they havent increased payroll .....

At least we are spending and get the cream of the crop.....

No one expects the Yanks to spend less do they ? So they are just keeping there payroll at this level for 6 or so more years .

Damon's 13 mil is off the books after this year , Jeter cant have more then 3 seasons left on his ....

It is what is they are paying for name recognition which is what NY is all about anyway . So I guess everyone is happy except Baseball purists like myself ..

true and false. the false part is that it's key to lock up the top talent before they become arbitration eligible.
which is why they gave longoria a contract right outta the gate...and have so many other former top picks locked up in long term deals.

everything u said is true, horn...but this step is also crucial.

But with a Rays payroll at 50 million they won't be able to do that with all of Crawford, Upton, Price, Longoria, Kazmir, Shields, Garza, etc...

And those deals only lock the player up a year or two of their first years of FA. They are going to have to unload them or risk losing them to the Dodgers, Angels, Cubs, Sox, Mets or Yankees in FA. The A's are the master of this and they are usually always in the playoff hunt.

Red Sox fans are already penciling in Joe Mauer for 2011. Twins would be wise to unload him soon for a ton of prospects.

Almost every Ranger fan knew when Tex was with the Rangers that this day would come. So instead of coming away with nothing and losing Tex to the Yanks they got a bunch of prospects who will turn into something positive.

But with a Rays payroll at 50 million they won't be able to do that with all of Crawford, Upton, Price, Longoria, Kazmir, Shields, Garza, etc...

And those deals only lock the player up a year or two of their first years of FA. They are going to have to unload them or risk losing them to the Dodgers, Angels, Cubs, Sox, Mets or Yankees in FA. The A's are the master of this and they are usually always in the playoff hunt.

Red Sox fans are already penciling in Joe Mauer for 2011. Twins would be wise to unload him soon for a ton of prospects.

Almost every Ranger fan knew when Tex was with the Rangers that this day would come. So instead of coming away with nothing and losing Tex to the Yanks they got a bunch of prospects who will turn into something positive.

i don't remember for sure...but i'm pretty sure the rays locked up all but 1 or 2 of the biggies all the way thru their 20s. so they'll lose some in their 30s...which is ok, as long as they're replenishing the youth.

yeah...rangers got a lot for Tex from ATL. much more than ATL got from LAA, though it was for a shorter time period.

Pirates sometimes draft ok but usually they just end up turning up bad, they look good as prospects.

Also 2 years ago we had a decent pitching staff. Gorzo, Duke and Paul all pitched pretty well.

Then last year (until we traded Bay and Nady) we were 3rd in the league in offense but dead last in pitching.

The thing is that the Rays did it better, they signed players too. They had veterans, Floyd, Percival. The Pirates have done none of that

The problem is ownership in the Rays seemed to somewhat care. I think a lot of baseball experts last year before the season wouldnt have said they would go to the series but most would have said they can be competitive. The Pirates have no chance of that. McClatchy could not give a shit about the team winning. He has the money but wont spend it.

You can say the Pirates just need to make trades and get good prospects, but they do all that and trade them away as soon as they become something. We have no cornerstones. We have no Carl Crawford's. Does anyone else remember like me how the Pirates traded away A. Ramirez for Bobby Hill. That seemed silly at the time, now it just seems like a crime.

It will go on and on. In my opinion if we have the same guys running the team, the Pirates will never have a winning season, not while im alive anyway

Top free agents are classified as Type A (the top 20 percent at their position as determined by the Elias Sports Bureau), Type B (between 21 and 40 percent at his position). If a Type A free agent who had been offered arbitration signs with another team, the team receives two first-round draft picks the following June – either a first- or second-round pick of the new team (depending on a team's record the previous season) and a “sandwich” pick between the first and second rounds. Type B free agents earn just a “sandwich” pick.
If there are 14 or fewer Type A or Type B free agents available, no team can sign more than one type A or B player. If there are between 15-38, no team can sign more than two. If there are between 39 and 62, there's a limit of three. However, teams can sign as many Type A or B free agents as they've lost, regardless of the limits above.

As far as FA goes players have to be on the 40 man roster for at least 6 years before they can become FA . So you if you can buy out 2 years of FA that means you have said player for 8 seasons technically depneding on how long he first appeared on the 40 man roster till he played in the MLs.

Look at Wang already accomplished a ton and is making just 5 million in 2009 his 5th major league season..

Teams with payrolls of less then 80 million should really consider why they have a team. The good thing is Tex going to Wash or Balt does nothing for them as franchises. bad organizations have to build from the draft . Lets not forget thats how NYY rebuilt itself .....

Pretty much sums up why NYY has reeled in these 3.....

http://www.sportsbusinessjournal.com/article/60860

http://www.boston.com/sports/columnists/massarotti/2008/12/did_yanks_win_or_did_sox_just_1.html

Teams with payrolls of less then 80 million should really consider why they have a team.

Are you serious with this statement? First of all teams have won the world series in recent years with less. Second of all the owners, or most of them are in it to make money, not spend it.

You put more money in scouting, the draft, and latin american signings.

You try to become the A's, Twins, and Marlins. Teams that build from the farm system then when the player is about to bolt for FA you dump him on a team for numerous prospects and continue the cycle.

Maybe if the Pirates took some of that revene sharing they get from the Yanks they could be competative like the A'S do with limited resources. Their owner chooses to pocket it though instead of investing

Great job by the Yanks. They got a lot better in all departments they needed and still have less salary than last year. I would say that is a pretty damn good job by Cash. The difference in the money with the Yanks and Sox is like going from 65 to 77 on the interstate. You don't see a difference at all. It comes down to the fact when Cash met with Boras and Tex before the winter meetings Tex said he wanted to be a Yankee. The Yanks sat back, saw what it would take to get Tex the best deal and did it. Great job.

gotta love boras blowin his load all over henry's face after the manny fiasco. sox musta figured they had tex locked up after letting boras off for that mess he created.

Are you serious with this statement? First of all teams have won the world series in recent years with less. Second of all the owners, or most of them are in it to make money, not spend it.

Pretty serious . This thing called inflation and the fact salaries rise every season means the past is prety irrelevant. So scratch 80 and go with 75 million + .

Owners get screened when they buy a team so dont approve ownership to guys who are there to make money over putting the best quality product on the field. Doesnt mean lose money but you shouldnt be making 40 million bucks a year either . Florida slashes payroll and makes 47 million a few years ago?

Your Pirates in 2005 took in 60 million betwteen revenue sharing and what they recieve for MLB for licensing contracts and things of that short and you know that number has increased. So again I dont want to hear teams dont have money to spend when they get a FREE 50-75 million EVERY season .

.....http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/s_458555.html

In 2008 , 13 teams were at 100 million and 19 were at 74 million or more . 5 were bewteen 62-69 million. KC 58 and Wash 55 . Pitt , Oak , TB and Fla were the rest .

Just so you understand how SALARIES have skyrocketed look no further then Bud Selig . He replaced Fay Vincent in 1992 who made 650 K in 2006 Selig made 15 million.

Pitt in 2001 spent 58 million or 9 million dollars less then this season....

These teams are getting a ton of money in revenue sharing and CHOOSING not to spend it ...30 million plus in free money and your going to tell me 75 million is to much to spend on salaries ?????Whether its through the draft , FA , signing their own players ...

Florida and Tampa Bay Are the Worst Revenue-Sharing Offenders

The two biggest abusers of the system are the Florida Marlins and the Tampa Bay Rays (who changed their official team name from the Devil Rays just a few days ago, wow!)
The Marlins won the World Series title in 2003 with a team that had a unique combination of great young players and talented veterans that included Josh Beckett, Brad Penny, Mike Lowell and Ivan Rodriguez. That year, the team had a respectable $54 million payroll. Rather than retain those players, however, the Marlins traded away Penny and Beckett for much cheaper players, and lost Mike Lowell and Pudge Rodriguez to free agency.
By shedding these stars, Florida was able to cut its payroll down to $14.9 million in 2006, which is less than 20% of the Major League average of $78 million. It was also less than half of the $31 million in revenue sharing dollars the team received that year. So, rather than using the money to retain or attract on-field talent, the owners took it as part of the team's MLB best $43 million profit in 2006.
The Rays might be worse than the Marlins. From 2002 through 2006, Tampa Bay took in an average of $32 million per year in revenue sharing money. During that same period, the Rays had an average payroll of just $27 million, which was the lowest in baseball. They also had the worst five year record on the field, winning an average of just 70 games per season. Yet the team turned an average profit of more than $20 million during those years.

Great article in April 2008.....

http://sports.aol.com/mlb/story/_a/a-300-million-juggernaut/20080403024909990001

Of the eight postseason teams, five - the Red Sox, White Sox, Angels, Dodgers and Cubs - have payrolls that exceed $100 million. Milw was at 90 million ....

I'm responding on my b.berry so this will be short. Maybe you misunderstood me and maybe I misunderstood you. I was saying that McClatchy has the money to spend and does not want too.

Back