Terrelle Pryor #1 player in the country

Will Terrelle Pryor visit Penn State? No one knows

By JOSEPH SANTOLIQUITO
For the Daily News

It's uncertain whether Terrelle Pryor, the nation's No. 1 football recruit, will visit Penn State this weekend, according to Jeannette High football coach Ray Reitz. What is certain is that Oregon head coach Mike Bellotti and Penn State defensive coordinator Tom Bradley keep calling.

"Nothing really has changed," Reitz said yesterday.

"The calls have died down a little, though we still get calls from reporters and recruiting Web sites. I spoke to coach Bellotti today and they're trying to work something out and get him to come and make a visit. But it's still unknown whether Terrelle will visit Penn State this weekend. I do know his basketball team is in the playoffs and they're playing [tonight].

"Terrelle is stuck in a tough spot right now. He has a commitment to the basketball team and, more so, his friends and teammates. He doesn't want to do anything to take away from what they're doing. He's being asked to visit these schools, but only two coaches have been calling right now, that's Bellotti and Bradley."

The 6-6, 225-pound senior quarterback opted to push his decision back last Wednesday, the first day of the official signing period. He said he wanted to see Penn State and Oregon, which joined the fray with Michigan and Ohio State, which was thought to be the favorite.

"I'm delaying, because I really haven't had that much time to get involved in the recruiting process, and I would just like to take some time and be fair to all the coaches that are recruiting me," Pryor said at the time. "I just like to give everyone the same time."

Pryor did not return phone calls yesterday.

"I think he just wants a break from all of this," a source close to Pryor said.

"He's trying to avoid the phone calls, he's trying to avoid everyone, because it seems everywhere he goes, it doesn't matter where, Terrelle is getting asked what college he's going to go to. His phone is constantly ringing. This used to be fun for him, but I don't think so anymore. I know he doesn't want to let the guys down on the basketball team. He'd love to win state titles in football and basketball."

Reitz said: "We're just going keep moving forward. Everyone still has to remember he's 18. He changes his mind every day what he wants to do. I just want him to make the right choice; it's something we'd all like to see."

When Pryor visited Penn State last, I thought I remember reading he wasn't thrilled with meeting JoePa, at one point, not even understanding what he said. Why the hell would he go there? His father must be putting a lot of pressure on him. Unreal, let the kid decide. He has become great friends with all of the OSU recruits.

Let the kid decide??? What the hell does the kid know??

NOTHING!

Listen to your old man!!!!

Hes wise beyond your years, Terrelle....

Well, according to the rivals.com article:

Terelle said that "i am not going to make a decison until basketball stops being so busy" he is in the quarterfinals and has a couple more rounds to go. He also said "before i make my decison i am going to visit penn state and maybe oregon as well." He thinks he likes oregon because the facilities are amazing and he fits into the offense really well.

I think PSU fans are fortunate that Terrelle's father talked him into visiting PSU before signing. Pryor's father talked him into this decison the night before signing. Terrelle said "if it were not for my father i wouuld of been going to ohio state, i still might i just have to figure some things out."

Something that he stated that he really liked about tOSU "the other recruits and i are really cool and we have been keeping in touch and they aren't pressuring me into my decison which is really cool."

I think PSU fans are fortunate that Terrelle's father talked him into visiting PSU before signing. Pryor's father talked him into this decison the night before signing. Terrelle said "if it were not for my father i wouuld of been going to ohio state, i still might i just have to figure some things out."

From the same article:

Pryor admits he was set to sign with Ohio State the day before Feb. 6, but a conversation with his father, Craig, made him think twice. His father wanted him to take another look at Penn State and take an official visit.

But is Pryor doing it to appease his father or is he truly interested in the Nittany Lions?

"I'm really interested," he said. "This isn't just being respectful of my father, this is thinking things through and making sure I have all the info I need before I make a big decision. I really like Coach Bradley at Penn State and they could end up being the right fit for me, I'm not sure."

Cant seem to find the "if not for my father" quote...

if PSU can't recruit the players might as well start recruiting the players parents. Sounds like they have a competitive advantage because of this new tactic.

Pryor leads Jeannette to AA hoops title
Saturday, February 23, 2008
By Colin Dunlap, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette
<!-- end story_image_box_size_1 -->
Behind a tremendous effort from senior superstar Terrelle Pryor, Jeannette stormed to an 82-68 victory against Beaver Falls in the WPIAL Class AA boys' basketball championship this afternoon at the Palumbo Center.

Pryor scored 39 points, had 24 rebounds and also posted 10 blocks.

The win gave Jeannette a rarity in WPIAL history -- the WPIAL football and basketball titles in the same school year.

Todd Thomas scored a team-high 25 points for the Tigers but couldn't offest Pryor's effort.

this is a joke...

TOP STORIES

<META content=STORY.1175910ab03.93.88.fa.d0.537ab5b7 name=vit_story_id><META content=BELO-NO-SYNDICATE name=story_syndication><META content=2008-01-24 name=publication_date><!-- vstory begin -->[SIZE=+2]Nation's highest-rated prep quarterback has LSU on his list

[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]10:48 AM CST on Thursday, January 24, 2008

[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]Alan Robinson / Associated Press Sports Writer[/SIZE]

Recently Terrelle Pryor, the highly acclaimed high school quarterback from Pennsylvania announced that he has added LSU to his list of possible schools. Published reports have him planning to visit the campus prior to the end of January.

Also Online Top QB prospect adds LSU to list
Big schools shying away from state's top quarterback

JEANNETTE, Pa. -- Dan Marino, Joe Montana, Johnny Unitas, Joe Namath, George Blanda and Jim Kelly earned Pittsburgh and its environs the nickname of the Cradle of Quarterbacks.

Next up? It may very well be Terrelle Pryor, whose high school career dwarfed those of all the stars that preceded him in one of the nation's most competitive and closely watched football regions.

M_IMAGE.1175910ab03.93.88.fa.d0.5382ee2d.jpg
Carolyn Kaster / Associated Press
Jeannette quarterback Terrelle Pryor passes in the first half of their Class AA Pennsylvania high school championship football game against Dunmore.

Pryor, a 6-foot-6, 225-pound bundle of talent, is the latest in a lengthy line of exceptional players from western Pennsylvania that also includes Tony Dorsett, LaVar Arrington and Bill Fralic.

"Not in my lifetime have I seen a player like Terrelle, and I've watched football for 40 years," said Ray Reitz, his coach at Jeannette High School. "When you're great, you're great. He could compete at any level."

Reitz, who saw Dorsett in high school, isn't alone in tossing out such praise for the only player in Pennsylvania high school history to rush for more than 4,000 yards and throw for more than 4,000 in a career. He finished with 4,250 yards rushing and 4,249 passing.

Pryor has already won several national player of the year awards. He was the MVP of the nationally televised U.S. Army All-American Bowl game in San Antonio earlier this month. He is also the No. 1-rated player by nearly every major recruiting service.

Pryor is special for another reason, too: Only two weeks from NCAA Division I-A national letter of intent day, Pryor is uncommitted -- making him the object of one of the most intense coast-to-coast recruiting competitions in recent years.

The reasons why are obvious.

Pryor's size, speed, arm strength, acceleration and athleticism are uncommon for a quarterback so young. Watching him play high school football was much like watching LeBron James play Ohio high school basketball: He was so much better than those around him, it was like a man playing among boys.

This past season, Pryor had 3,788 yards of total offense, rushing for 1,899 yards and passing for 1,889 on a 16-0 team that scored a state-record 860 points, or 105 more than the previous record. Pryor ran for 33 touchdowns and threw for 23, averaging a touchdown every four times he touched the ball.

No wonder why college coach after college coach has told Pryor the same thing: Go to that coach's school, and it automatically becomes a national title contender. He is looking at Michigan, Ohio State, LSU and Oregon, but schools frequently fall on and off the list.

"He's a program changer. If you get him, you're going to get a lot of other great athletes to follow," Reitz said.

How good an athlete is Pryor? Despite having no preseason practice, he had 24 points, 11 rebounds, six dunks, four blocked shots and five steals in his first basketball game this season, only four days after his final football game.

While Pryor competed in the second smallest of Pennsylvania's four classes, he has played basketball against players from those schools and dominated. Few recruiters who have watched him doubt he would have done the same thing in football.

Two major recruiting sites, Superprep.com and Rivals.com, list him No. 1 nationally and compare him to former Texas quarterback Vince Young for his ability to make as many plays with his legs as with his arm.

At a recent pep rally honoring Jeannette for being ranked No. 5 nationally by Maxpreps.com, Pryor was clearly tiring of the recruiting pressure.

Assistant coaches from Penn State and Ohio State were in the room, well aware that Pryor was traveling to Michigan for an official visit two days later. Before then, he had another basketball game to play and hundreds of text messages to plow through.

Despite the ban on coaches sending text messages, dozens of messages from recruiting services, fans, friends and outsiders who somehow obtain his number pile up on Pryor's cell phone if he leaves it off for more than a few hours.

"It's not overwhelming," Pryor said of the intense recruiting. "I was forewarned about it, but I wasn't prepared for it -- I haven't been through it before, so I couldn't be prepared."

Juggling an all-state basketball career -- he is closing in on 2,000 points for his career -- and recruiting trips is also proving difficult.

"It is tiring," Pryor said. "I'm just trying to get it over with and move on. Of course, you're looking at all the top colleges in the country, so it's going to be hard."

Reitz offers another reason for Pryor's indecision: his difficulty in saying no. Pryor is inherently shy, his coach said, and is aware he will disappoint many coaches with his final decision.

"All this attention is embarrassing to him because he is such a good kid," Reitz said.

Pryor may be the most recruited player in western Pennsylvania since Washington High running back Brian Davis, a national high school player of the year in the mid 1980s. Davis' career at Pitt ended quickly because of academic problems, and he never played college football again.

No one who knows Pryor expects that to happen to him.

Pryor has a 3.4 grade-point average, goes to class and is being mentored by Steelers quarterback Charlie Batch, who met him through a relative and is helping guide him through the recruiting process.

Pryor's parents split up years ago and neither currently lives in Jeannette, which is 25 miles east of Pittsburgh. Pryor has lived with his godfather throughout high school, yet has managed to stay grounded and focused with his life, school work and his athletic career.

"I don't think everybody will know where he's going for sure until signing day (Feb. 6)," said Batch, who went to Eastern Michigan and thus has no personal stake in where Pryor winds up.

Pryor is one player that doesn't need one of those prerequisite highlight DVDs to show off to his recruiters.

Every game provided highlights, from the 53-yard touchdown run on his first carry of the season, during a 60-0 victory against Brownsville in which he was never tackled, to his final carry, a 41-yard TD run that put the Jayhawks up 49-7 against Dunmore in the state title game.

No wonder there are dozens of Pryor "rookie cards" already selling on eBay, even though he is not yet in college. By the end of the season, strangers lugging bags of footballs began showing up at Jeannette's practices, seeking autographs they planned to sell.

"It's crazy, and it's getting crazier," Reitz said. "But I understand why. I've never seen anyone as good as him, and a lot of other people have told me they haven't, either."

(Copyright 2008 by The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.)
<!-- vstory end -->

obviously not. i read an article around this time that said oreg, psu, osu, mich indefinitely. never lsu

is that such a stupid question on my part? sorry almighty bar

obviously not. i read an article around this time that said oreg, psu, osu, mich indefinitely. never lsu

is that such a stupid question on my part? sorry almighty bar
whatever whiney...

LSU was mentioned several times..he never had a chance to get a visit so they were crossed off

Pryor leads Jeannette to AA hoops title
Saturday, February 23, 2008
By Colin Dunlap, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette
<!-- end story_image_box_size_1 -->
Behind a tremendous effort from senior superstar Terrelle Pryor, Jeannette stormed to an 82-68 victory against Beaver Falls in the WPIAL Class AA boys' basketball championship this afternoon at the Palumbo Center.

Pryor scored 39 points, had 24 rebounds and also posted 10 blocks.

The win gave Jeannette a rarity in WPIAL history -- the WPIAL football and basketball titles in the same school year.

Todd Thomas scored a team-high 25 points for the Tigers but couldn't offest Pryor's effort.

SLAM! (duh duh duh, duh duh duh - Let the boys be boys!) SLAM!

It was like a 10 day interest easy to understand it being overlooked.

I wish he would come to LSU though Perilloux would be the perfect mentor err I mean cellmate.

Jeannette's Pryor a popular figure

Go figure.

Sports stars strive to be on trading cards, cereal boxes and magazine covers, but only a select few get action figures made of them, and most are pros.

Jeannette's Terrelle Pryor is a high school senior who still enjoys toying around, but he already has his own action figure - and even he can't believe it.

"It's crazy," said Pryor, who will lead his team into the PIAA Class AA basketball quarterfinals against North Catholic at 2 p.m. Saturday at Hempfield. "I'm like, that's me. It's hard to believe someone would make that. I was just hoping to be a bobblehead some day."

A North Hills man came up with the idea to carve out a Pryor figurine. Kevin Main, who recently moved here from Cincinnati and heard about Pryor through some co-workers at Mellon Bank, makes the figures as a hobby.

He never had made a figure for a high school player, mainly concentrating on minor-league baseball players.

"I started hearing about this Terrelle Pryor kid, so I Googled him and read about all the hype surrounding his football career," said Main, 31, a sports enthusiast and autograph collector. "I thought it would be cool to make him. I looked at a few photos and decided I would make a couple figures."

Main does not produce the figures for profit and has no immediate plans to make more Pryor figures, which stand about 6 1/4 inches tall.

The figures are based on the popular McFarlane Toys Sportspicks collectibles.

His Pryor figurines - there are only two in existence, and Pryor has one - are meticulously detailed, right down to Pryor's wristbands, visor and grass stains.

"It even has my towel back there," Pryor said. "And my shoes."

Pryor thinks the likeness is right on. Well, mostly.

"They forgot my 1C (for captain)," he said. "And my tattoos."

Teammate Jerry Harris was impressed.

"It looks just like him; it's just as ugly, too," he said.

Main simply took a McFarlane figure of Tennessee Titans quarterback Vince Young, scraped and sanded off certain spots and repainted it in Jayhawks red, white and blue - with Pryor's unique features.

McFarlane makes pro sports figures of NFL, NBA, NHL and MLB players. Main said McFarlane has no legal issues with the figures if they aren't sold for profit. Main said he has no intentions of putting them up for auction online.

Main did not get Pryor's permission to do the figures, and Pryor has no affiliation with Main. Main met Pryor and gave him one of the figures, which depicts the 6-foot-5 1/2 quarterback in a blue Jeannette uniform.
Jeannette football coach Ray Reitz hopes Main doesn't decide to sell the figures.

"Once again, this is something that shows the exploitation of a high school kid," Reitz said. "I mean, it's a great thing for Terrelle, but not if someone is going to make money off it. Then, it's a shame."

Main said copyright issues have come up for other "customizers," but never for himself. "The way we look at it, they can go ahead and have the eight percent of nothing we make if they want," he said.

View attachment 18437

View attachment 18438

dont think this kid will make it. i think the hype will get to him or the SEC defenses will and he'll be a bust or injured one. his best bet if he wants to succeed is go to OSU or PSU where they dont play anybody but akron and temple

dont think this kid will make it. i think the hype will get to him or the SEC defenses will and he'll be a bust or injured one. his best bet if he wants to succeed is go to OSU or PSU where they dont play anybody but akron and temple

Really beginning to agree. No one has had this hype since Lebron. Buy when labrpn was going through it I'd was already very mature and handleled it well. There's something different about him ( from the stories I heard) almost sebasian telfair and o j mayo like( only with more hype) or like lenny Cooke ( I think that was his name) but very few can live up to that pressure at such a young age. Thank god Bron worked out

and by the way I respect mayo a lot for getting back on track. But I dont think I'd will ever be what we originally thought

down 2 two...deciding next week and supposedly has already turned in his loi to the bucks.

My ideal real-game scenario....

He goes to OSU, gets in for some special package against USC as just a little true frosh. The play call is perfect, it appears he has daylight in the open field and than BOOM, Brian Cushing or Rey Maualuga punish him, he fumbles, and his turnover results in a game changing situation where OSU loses not only the game, their shot to head back to the NC. That ought to humble this guy.

i think he has to decide by march 31st

at this point its 99.9% OSU, .1% PSU

He says hes making his decision this week and wont be taking anymore visits prior to his decision...

Ill never understand why he delayed this and strung all this out supposedly so he could go visit PSU and then decide without visiting PSU

i think he has to decide by march 31st

at this point its 99.9% OSU, .1% PSU

He says hes making his decision this week and wont be taking anymore visits prior to his decision...

Ill never understand why he delayed this and strung all this out supposedly so he could go visit PSU and then decide without visiting PSU

a article in the local pittsburgh paper, said that pryor went to visit PSU on saturday and wasn't impressed to say the least. The paper rips PSU on their recruiting and not being able to woo Pryor. Kind of surprising because usually its a pro PSU paper.

FUCK this dude. I went to one of his bball games and all he does is talk shit to the crowd. I hope he is a total bust. He wont be able to handle the pressure of opposing fans on the road, he can barely handle himself in high school. This guy is the next Clarrett...tons of talent, but no head on his shoulders

i agree he cracks at teh crowd back. But that is kind of unfair if the crowd can yell obscenities are players but players cannot do anything back...I think Terrelle is just giving opposing fans a taste of their own medicine. I don't mind that he taunts crowds because it shows me he is passionate and he cares. As long as he dosen't do it to an extent where he gets penalized for it, i'm fine with it.

If he taunts at the college level, he better be ready for a 6-3 235 pound linebacker to lay him out by putting his helmut underneath Terrelle's chin.

I guess u havent read up the PPG lately Frankie, he got in a fight with the other team a few weeks back. Forget the team name now, "North something". Part of being a big time athlete is being able to ignore the fans. Where would Eric Gordon and Kevin Love be if they acted like he did?

I guess u havent read up the PPG lately Frankie, he got in a fight with the other team a few weeks back. Forget the team name now, "North something". Part of being a big time athlete is being able to ignore the fans. Where would Eric Gordon and Kevin Love be if they acted like he did?

i didn't see that one, your right thats bulshit. You can't act like that and be a big time athlete.

Pryor to announce pick today

Wednesday, March 19, 2008
By Mike White, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

<!-- end story_image_box_size_1 -->The Terrelle Pryor recruiting saga likely will come to an end today.

Pryor, the star quarterback at Jeannette High School, will announce his college decision at noon at the school's auditorium.

Pryor led Jeannette to the PIAA Class AA basketball championship Saturday at Penn State and said after the game that he had narrowed his college choices to two. But he wouldn't identify which two. Sources said yesterday that the final two are Ohio State and Michigan.

Pryor scheduled a news conference in early February to announce his college choice among Ohio State, Michigan, Penn State and Oregon. But he then decided to delay his decision. The day of the news conference, he said Ohio State was his top pick, but his father, Craig, convinced him to take a more serious look at Penn State.

Pryor had said he probably would make an official visit to Penn State, but he never did. He also said he might visit Oregon but never did.

After Saturday's basketball championship, Pryor was asked about Penn State and said the school was "too country" for him. :36_11_6: Many believe Ohio State is his top choice, but sources say Michigan believes it still is in the running.

Back