Should LSU put Fire on Les Miles?

twinkie13

In transit, arriving late.
Nice guy, gets a great staff together(minus Cam)......recruits top 5 every year, usually top 3

Now I realize LSU has to play Bama every year(that sucks in the middle of this run)....he has had a few good years, but the inability to develop a QB and to have talent under perfrom(they get better when they get to the NFL....JFC look at the WRs and Danielle Hunter)......that pitch play to LF on the first play of the gamne vs Wisky was the big FUCK YOU to the fans and media.

I say let him go and get Tom Herman somehow(maybe impossible, but one can dream)

If someone just looked at his record, some would say it would be insane to.

I say it has run its course......he could win the national title and I still would want a new coach.

Nice guy, gets a great staff together(minus Cam)......recruits top 5 every year, usually top 3

Now I realize LSU has to play Bama every year(that sucks in the middle of this run)....he has had a few good years, but the inability to develop a QB and to have talent under perfrom(they get better when they get to the NFL....JFC look at the WRs and Danielle Hunter)......that pitch play to LF on the first play of the gamne vs Wisky was the big FUCK YOU to the fans and media.

I say let him go and get Tom Herman somehow(maybe impossible, but one can dream)

If someone just looked at his record, some would say it would be insane to.

I say it has run its course......he could win the national title and I still would want a new coach.

foreal? what if you saw an offense develop on the way to a natty? would that ease your mind?

I don't know if Cam Cameron is such a bad hire. For whatever reason, Les loves to recruit dual threat QBs to run an old school pro style offense. I heard an LSU beat writer on the radio after the Wisconsin game, and he said that during practice, they run a lot of spread it out type plays that get the ball in the hands of their athletes, play at some pace, etc, but when it comes to the game, Les won't let Cam call the plays. Maybe he's just anti-Les at this point, but I think Les' stubbornness is going to cost him his job. The game has changed, for better or for worse is a topic of debate, but for now, you have to be more dynamic on offense to attract the best talent and to compete against the top teams with the rules that we have in place now. I think LSU has been more than patient with Les, but if he's not going to change, I think LSU needs to. Tom Herman at LSU is terrifying to me. Hope he stays in Texas

if you're anybody but Alabama, Ohio St, and maybe a few other schools, you would trade your guy for Herman in a second.

foreal? what if you saw an offense develop on the way to a natty? would that ease your mind?

for real

i can't watch it anymore...... outside of the D line and to a lesser extent LB(lately, Chavis took a few years off recruiting it seems at the end there), we are getting the same kids as Bama. Last year and what is shaping up this year in recruits, we are getting the defensive meat again like LSU used to get.....toired of watching NFL talent squander away....

the head coach/OC thing you're describing happened at Nebraska. The offense Neb ran at the bowl game after Pelini was canned was hilariously better than what they had been doing.

I don't know if Cam Cameron is such a bad hire. For whatever reason, Les loves to recruit dual threat QBs to run an old school pro style offense. I heard an LSU beat writer on the radio after the Wisconsin game, and he said that during practice, they run a lot of spread it out type plays that get the ball in the hands of their athletes, play at some pace, etc, but when it comes to the game, Les won't let Cam call the plays. Maybe he's just anti-Les at this point, but I think Les' stubbornness is going to cost him his job. The game has changed, for better or for worse is a topic of debate, but for now, you have to be more dynamic on offense to attract the best talent and to compete against the top teams with the rules that we have in place now. I think LSU has been more than patient with Les, but if he's not going to change, I think LSU needs to. Tom Herman at LSU is terrifying to me. Hope he stays in Texas

This is the big thing.He has Cam on the firld for the Wisky game, then moves him back upstairs last week. Like DUDE...that aint fixing it Les, you grass eating dolt! Look around the damn league. You wanna run pro style? Fine. Go to California and get a kid. Get Eason. SOMETHING .....Herman would be a dream. But I would take Kiffin at this point.....

for real

i can't watch it anymore...... outside of the D line and to a lesser extent LB(lately, Chavis took a few years off recruiting it seems at the end there), we are getting the same kids as Bama. Last year and what is shaping up this year in recruits, we are getting the defensive meat again like LSU used to get.....toired of watching NFL talent squander away....

it's not an insane proposition, i was just wondering if there was anything he could do to change your mind. and it doesn't look like it.

how does cam still have a job, that's what is freakin weird to me.

herman at tamu would still be pretty terrifying.

Be careful what you ask for. Remember LSU was a novelty program not that many years ago. Sabah had his short run and Les wins about 10 a year. Get greedy and go back to middle of the pack.

Be careful what you ask for. Remember LSU was a novelty program not that many years ago. Sabah had his short run and Les wins about 10 a year. Get greedy and go back to middle of the pack.

Maybe, but Louisiana has a good bit of in state talent and no other power 5 team to contend with in state. Also next door to Mississippi and East Texas, so as long as they hire a competent recruiter, they will be talented enough to stay relevant no matter how poor of a developer or game caller they hire. They were always a sleeping giant, Saban just awakened the beast

nah......days are over. LA is loaded with talent, only school in state. It just would take way too much too happen.

I know what you mean, but I just don't see it.

Saban did wonders, no denying.

But it was Kevin Faulk staying in state that changed it a bunch and the recruitment of the NO area finally coming around

Maybe, but Louisiana has a good bit of in state talent and no other power 5 team to contend with in state. Also next door to Mississippi and East Texas, so as long as they hire a competent recruiter, they will be talented enough to stay relevant no matter how poor of a developer or game caller they hire. They were always a sleeping giant, Saban just awakened the beast

Great points

Let Les go? So who replaces him? Herman? They won't be Robinson Crusoe in chasing him. Do they have a Plan B?

lots of Tom Herman knobslobbing in this thread. One good season in a mid major conference where nobody plays any defense is good enough to get knighted for y'all, huh?

lots of Tom Herman knobslobbing in this thread. One good season in a mid major conference where nobody plays any defense is good enough to get knighted for y'all, huh?

I have more faith in Herman coming from the Urban Meyer coaching tree than say, Gus Malzahn coming from the Gene Chizik coaching tree, but you make a valid point.

every offense he's run since texas state has been phenomenal, and if you're lsu and struggle with completing a forward pass, herman is the man your throw money at.

every offense he's run since texas state has been phenomenal, and if you're lsu and struggle with completing a forward pass, herman is the man your throw money at.

Iowa State 2009-11 was "phenomenal"? Coulda fooled me. Either way, none of those jobs were in the SEC, and the Little 10 was a mess from 2012-14, so I'm not ready to crown this guy as a savior for any team that has to play against stout defenses on the regular.

good enough to take isu to two bowl games in a row and somehow get 2k yards thru the air at the powerhouse in ames. urban meyer figured it was good enough to invite him to columbus. no, he's never dominated a season in the sec, but if you're LSU you're not rolling the dice on what he can scheme up with sec talent?

better than rolling the dice on a proven failure at head coach, lane kiffin.

Let Les go? So who replaces him? Herman? They won't be Robinson Crusoe in chasing him. Do they have a Plan B?

i think it could be kiffin, but i would HAVE to think they would be leary

i could maybe see the them giving Orgeron another shot maybe

but giving what they tried to pull with Jimbo......they obv think they are a top 5 job

I have loved Kiffin as our OC, but I wouldn't want him as the head coach. Just don't trust him to be able to handle the whole program. I think somebody will give him a shot, but I don't think it will be a top tier job. Maybe Kentucky if they fire Stoops.

What about Larry Fedora? I know he's got a good gig at UNC, but he was at S Miss so he has recruited in the area before.

Question for you Galty:

What other coaches do you take ahead of Herman, that you think would reasonably leave their current gig (No Cowher or Gruden, please) if you were the AD at LSU? I'll hang up and listen

I have loved Kiffin as our OC, but I wouldn't want him as the head coach. Just don't trust him to be able to handle the whole program. I think somebody will give him a shot, but I don't think it will be a top tier job. Maybe Kentucky if they fire Stoops.

What about Larry Fedora? I know he's got a good gig at UNC, but he was at S Miss so he has recruited in the area before.

you think the boosters would accept that hire ?

My concern is the idiots in our administration will go so far overboard looking for the anti-Miles that some Kingsbury or Dykes type guys are going to be higher on the board than they should be.

Last edited:
My concern is the idiots in our administration will go overboard looking for the anti-Miles that some Kingsbury or Dykes type guys are going to be higher on the board than they should be.

i think that will be tempered....I am sure they know they need out of the stone age, but not the space age

Question for you Galty:

What other coaches do you take ahead of Herman, that you think would reasonably leave their current gig (No Cowher or Gruden, please) if you were the AD at LSU? I'll hang up and listen

For LSU? Fuck I would imagine that you would have your pick of most guys. How about Dantonio? David Shaw is a name I always like, although I would never leave Stanford if I was him. Kirby Smart, Chip Kelly, shit anyone who the average Cajun redneck would actually know and could get excited about.

For LSU? Fuck I would imagine that you would have your pick of most guys. How about Dantonio? David Shaw is a name I always like, although I would never leave Stanford if I was him. Kirby Smart, Chip Kelly, shit anyone who the average Cajun redneck would actually know and could get excited about.

lol

I don't see any of those guys leaving their posts for the gig. I was a having a convo with a friend of mine today who is prob 60. He used to know the recruiting coordinator for UGA back in the 80s and used to always say how you could only recruit players from the city of Houston and easily have the talent to contend for natl titles if you could coach at all. I know its kinda crazy to say I'm not sure Herman would leave Houston for LSU but if it looks like they are going B12 then he may just stay and keep building that program into a beast

Chip Kelly is the only name there who would possibly leave his current spot, and that's a few years away. Dantonio, Shaw, and Kirby aren't leaving on their own

lol

I don't see any of those guys leaving their posts for the gig. I was a having a convo with a friend of mine today who is prob 60. He used to know the recruiting coordinator for UGA back in the 80s and used to always say how you could only recruit players from the city of Houston and easily have the talent to contend for natl titles if you could coach at all. I know its kinda crazy to say I'm not sure Herman would leave Houston for LSU but if it looks like they are going B12 then he may just stay and keep building that program into a beast

If Houston enters the Big 12, it is far more likely that Herman stays there. Like you mention, he's in a recruiting hot bed. You think Hurts is at Alabama if a Big 12 powerhouse is just down the street? And at the moment, the Big 12 has a much easier path to a conference championship and possible playoff berth than the SEC.

A bunch of Twinkies in his ear will give Dantonio another heart attack. LSU is a top 10-15 job, realistically they aren't getting a coach from another top 10-15 program.

If Houston enters the Big 12, it is far more likely that Herman stays there. Like you mention, he's in a recruiting hot bed. You think Hurts is at Alabama if a Big 12 powerhouse is just down the street? And at the moment, the Big 12 has a much easier path to a conference championship and possible playoff berth than the SEC.

Agree on all counts. Hurts would look pretty good running their system too. Real good. They would immediately have a top 3 defense in the B12 also, before the quality of player even went up with the move to P5. This game tonight goes a long way in terms of Cinci's B12 audition, I think as well.

the question at that point is how much will houston be willing to match if they do get into the big 12.

the question at that point is how much will houston be willing to match if they do get into the big 12.

What did he just sign for? $3.5 mill? I imagine they would happily tack on another million to keep him if they join the Big 12 and get a piece of that pie

they got him for 2.8, and the next one is gonna be $5mm at least. probably 5 years, i imagine they'll set up a bidding war with someone, depending on how this season goes with some schools and their respective hot seats.

2.8 to 5 is a pretty hefty jump.

What's the booster support like in Houston? I imagine there's a lot of oil/energy money in the town, surely some of them are Cougar supporters

that's the problem. oil hasn't cracked $50 a barrel in a minute.

tamu's boosters have the same problem, lot of their wealth tied up in oil/nat gas.

don't get me wrong, they still have a billionaire or two attached to the university, but if oil was up over $100 this wouldn't be an issue at all.

that's the problem. oil hasn't cracked $50 a barrel in a minute.

tamu's boosters have the same problem, lot of their wealth tied up in oil/nat gas.

don't get me wrong, they still have a billionaire or two attached to the university, but if oil was up over $100 this wouldn't be an issue at all.

Thanks Obama :cigarguy:

Back