Should LSU put Fire on Les Miles?

Keeping hearing Briles as Off consultant....

Saying done....

That mean like sidelines???? No way huh

Aranda and him have a history as well.

I can't see him turning it down....you JOB?

If Houston gets in the Big 12 and Herman is bumped up to $5 million/year, I could see him turning down anything. LSU gonna match $5 million for a relatively unproven commodity?

Herman is about as proven as an "unproven" guy can possibly be, if that makes sense.

I'm still not seeing the Briles stuff anywhere else beyond just speculation. It doesn't really add up, there isn't anything for him to consult because they aren't going to change systems on the fly in the middle of the season.

If Houston gets in the Big 12 and Herman is bumped up to $5 million/year, I could see him turning down anything. LSU gonna match $5 million for a relatively unproven commodity?

he is the name right now

and yes...they are going to write a check i think

Herman is about as proven as an "unproven" guy can possibly be, if that makes sense.

I'm still not seeing the Briles stuff anywhere else beyond just speculation. It doesn't really add up, there isn't anything for him to consult because they aren't going to change systems on the fly in the middle of the season.

the Briles thing would be weird....dude is radioactive right now

I get that Herman has the best resume of any coach looking to move from Group of 5 to Power 5, but I thought it was mentioned earlier in the thread that if Houston moves to Big 12, Herman gets an automatic salary increase to $5 million per. I have a hard time seeing any big time program making that kind of commitment to a guy that has yet to prove it in a Power 5 conference. Plus, LSU isn't exactly overflowing with excess cash right now. Not sure Herman would leave money on the table without having to move just to get the chance at a "better" job. My guess is that Sexton has already been contacted re: Jimbo Fisher. And I agree that the legitimate candidate list will look a lot different than the fan-site generated lists

I would be shocked if Briles has a role at any big time school next year. If Auburn loses the rest of their games, loses to Alabama 59-0 and we win the championship again, I could see AU maybe having Briles come in to give a offensive clinic, but definitely no job.

[FONT=proxima_nova_rgregular]I know it’s been a whirlwind of a Sunday for everyone, so I will do my best to break it down for you.[/FONT]
[FONT=proxima_nova_rgregular]Let’s recap from the beginning.[/FONT]
[FONT=proxima_nova_rgregular]After the loss last night, Les Miles was “99-percent” done as LSU’s head coach, a source told me. I had heard it before, but this time it seemed very real. The administration and powers that be slept on it, and they woke up this morning all in agreement that they had to part way with Les Miles.[/FONT]
[FONT=proxima_nova_rgregular]The coaches always meet on Sundays to go over film. They didn’t do that completely today. Instead, members of the administration were there. They let Miles know he was being let go. Shortly thereafter, Cam Cameron was informed that he was also being let go. I’m told it was obviously a very emotional scene for everyone involved.[/FONT]
[FONT=proxima_nova_rgregular]They then did some shuffling. Ed Orgeron was asked by Joe Alleva if he would be the interim head coach and he said yes. He’s been in this spot before with Southern Cal and he jumped at the chance to do so again with LSU. And when I say he jumped at it, he probably literally jumped out of his chair (more on that below).[/FONT]
[FONT=proxima_nova_rgregular]Orgeron dialed up longtime NFL assistant Pete Jenkins, one of his best friends and someone who really bleeds purple-and-gold and knows the entire defensive line group. Orgeron asked him to take his spot as the defensive line coach, and he has accepted that new role. I am told that when they said Pete Jenkins was the new DL coach in a team meeting, the defensive line erupted. All of them have worked with Pete and absolutely love him. If O wasn’t coaching them, they wanted Pete.[/FONT]
[FONT=proxima_nova_rgregular]They also named tight ends coach Steve Ensminger as the interim offensive coordinator to replace Cameron. Ensminger accepted the position and will now call plays on offense. Ensminger is someone who had been vocal behind closed doors about how the offense was not what they needed, so I think Orgeron saw moving him up as the best move. He’s been an OC four times before (McNeese, La Tech, Clemson and Texas A&M). He also has views of how this offense can be different and be much more efficient. Who knows how much different stuff you can really add at this point into a season, but I certainly don’t think the calls will be the same - especially not when it’s crunch time.[/FONT]
[FONT=proxima_nova_rgregular]I am told Austin Thomas has kept his role and will now be given even more responsibility. He’s got the title of “General Manager” now. He’s on both recruiting and the team. It’s essentially LSU creating a position that an NFL team would have. Austin has always had the goal of being an NFL GM. Now he’s a GM at the college school he loves. That’s huge for recruiting and the future of the program. Sharon Lewis (who ran track at LSU and has been here 16 years) will continue to oversee recruiting and alumni affairs. She’s a massive key to recruiting given how well she relates to the families of all the kids LSU recruits. When they are on visits, she’s the one with them at all times. So keeping Austin and Sharon in their spots is big.[/FONT]
[FONT=proxima_nova_rgregular]I was also told that Bradley Dale Peveto has been moved to solely special teams coach and one graduate assistant Dennis “Meatball” Johnson will take over coaching the outside linebackers. I think it's smart to keep Peveto on. He's got tons of connections to keep this class together and recruits East Texas and North Louisiana really well. Now he can focus on special teams which has typically been a strong suit for LSU. As for Dennis Johnson, been under Orgeron as the assistant defensive line coach, and now he’s got his first major college gig. I already knew from being around the team that he is one of their favorite coaches, and I’m told when they announced his promotion to the team in a meeting, the entire place erupted and chanted his name.[/FONT]
[FONT=proxima_nova_rgregular]As for that team meeting, they met at 5 p.m. So that was a few hours after news broke that Les had been let go. I am told it was really emotional in that room. Les told them how much he loved the team and LSU and that this move was for the best. He said their futures would be better with the change, and that’s a stand up from him. He loved the guys until the end, and he told them to win out and that he would be watching every game. Then Orgeron addressed the team.[/FONT]
[FONT=proxima_nova_rgregular]Let me say this. There will be tons and tons and tons of chatter over the next few months about who LSU’s next coach will be. And right now all we will hear is speculation. But it’s worth noting this: Ed Orgeron has landed his dream job, and he’s got at least eight games to do things his way.[/FONT]
[FONT=proxima_nova_rgregular]He addressed the team and got everyone involved. He brought a rope and had everyone, the players, the assistants, the administration, everyone …. pull on the rope. They battled each other and then he pointed out that they in different directions against each other. Then he had them pull the rope all together in one direction, and he said that’s “LSU”. His message to everyone in the room was that LSU is the best school in the country, and they are all going to be in this together.[/FONT]
[FONT=proxima_nova_rgregular]Sounds good, but what about recruiting?[/FONT]
[FONT=proxima_nova_rgregular]With Orgeron as head coach, Dameyune Craig is the recruiting coordinator, and I can tell you he’s more than thrilled. And tonight (they just wrapped up actually) the entire staff sat down and called every commitment and their top targets. Orgeron talked to every single one of them. Then they passed the phone around to all the coaches. That’s why you saw guys like Myles Brennan, Neil Farrell, Kary Vincent and down the line all tweet out tonight that they were solid. Orgeron and the staff immediately sprung into action.[/FONT]
[FONT=proxima_nova_rgregular]It was a great run with Miles. 12 years that we all had ups and downs and road the roller coaster that is college football in the SEC. But I can tell you this about the future, at least the immediate future. Multiple people reached out to me tonight after the dust settled and said there’s an energy up there that can be cut with a knife. Orgeron might only have eight games to be the head coach, but he’s taken the opportunity and run with it. Me personally, I can’t wait to see what the next few months brings. It’s going to be an exciting time to follow the Tigers, win or lose.[/FONT]
[FONT=proxima_nova_rgregular]As always, we appreciate you guys for being here and we will have tons of tidbits and stories posted each day to bring you a little closer to what’s happening behind the scenes.[/FONT]

for those interested, good bit about Sunday's activity.

Really interesting with just what they do with Orgeron, pending results..........it HAS to be an awkward situation. If they do some unthinkable shit, what will they do?

the Briles thing would be weird....dude is radioactive right now

FWIW, I'm hearing from a usually reliable source that hiring Briles as a consultant is something that is being seriously considered. I think some are missing the point on Briles though. I think the intent is not necessarily to change the offense in mid-season, but to lock him up for next season and keep him away from schools like Auburn.

I'd be concerned that Briles was not only involved in some obviously bad stuff, but some really, really bad stuff. Baylor cut ties with the most successful coach in program history for a reason, and that says minimum 5 years be gone to me.

Ensminger complaining about an offense is laughable. He won't last in that capacity. Never has.

I think Herman's salary would actually go even higher in year two of the Big 12, lift of 2.5 in year 1 and 2.5 in year 2 for a total raise of 5...not a raise to 5.

It's definitely a lot to spend for someone who doesn't already own hardware, but the going rate for the hot name is higher now than it was 5-10 years ago. Someone is going to pay him.

The State and University's budget issues have been well publicized, and overblown in some cases by the governor and school president for political reasons, but the athletic department is producing more revenue than it ever has and is putting millions back into the school. Money isn't a problem, the problem would be if they are concerned with what it would look like to those who do not understand the athletic department isn't a drain on the school budget, and go cheap as a result.

I hope making the move so early, with his buyout surely to be mentioned over and over, is a sign that they aren't concerned with looks and will make the necessary financial commitment.

FWIW, I'm hearing from a usually reliable source that hiring Briles as a consultant is something that is being seriously considered. I think some are missing the point on Briles though. I think the intent is not necessarily to change the offense in mid-season, but to lock him up for next season and keep him away from schools like Auburn.
I still can't see it. The new coach would have a say in the matter, so it's hard to believe this would be anything but a 2-3 month temporary thing.

the Briles thing is everywhere.....my dude in BR says he was IN BR on campus yesterday

again, it would be consulting at this point is what they are stressing......because obv sensitive timing here

Ensminger complaining about an offense is laughable. He won't last in that capacity. Never has.

well he was a tight end coach, and LSU hasn't thrown the ball to a tight end in about 5-6 years

so i guess he could complain a little bit......and anyone can complain about THIS offense in my book

[FONT=&quot]"It's always sad to see a man and a coach the caliber of Les get pushed out," said Chavis, who left for Texas A&M following the 2013 season. "He's a Hall of Famer and a legend in the state of Louisiana. I was blessed that he gave me an opportunity to coach at a place like LSU, but I can't say I'm surprised that he's gone. They were trying to fire him when I was there, and I told him so."[/FONT]

Chavis can fuck off. He is part of the reason our D line looks like shit.

Good coach, but an asshole.

Kiffin 20/1
Gundy 20/1
Fedora 25/1
Orgeron 23/1

Seems like 4 decent bets considering who they have listed before them

Herman -115
Fisher +250
Kingsbury 16/1

Neuheisel threw out M Dantonio....Mich St all over again like Saban

They going offense, but that is interesting

Here is what I have a hard time determining. If you're any of these elite coaches that has played at championship levels, do you leave the B1G or ACC to join the SEC-W and deal with that conference. Sure, you prob step into a recruiting hotbed if you're DAntonio but not Jimbo, you get more talent and not many fights in LA but there are thousands more kids to go after in Florida. I guess the question is do you take the path of least resistance or do you want the challenge of trying to usurp the Bama dynasty while it's in it's prime and looks to be that way for prob at least another 5 years with the talent on hand.

Here is what I have a hard time determining. If you're any of these elite coaches that has played at championship levels, do you leave the B1G or ACC to join the SEC-W and deal with that conference. Sure, you prob step into a recruiting hotbed if you're DAntonio but not Jimbo, you get more talent and not many fights in LA but there are thousands more kids to go after in Florida. I guess the question is do you take the path of least resistance or do you want the challenge of trying to usurp the Bama dynasty while it's in it's prime and looks to be that way for prob at least another 5 years with the talent on hand.

I think this is overrated. These guys are tremendous competitors. Think Tom Herman is "scared of Saban"? Or drools at the chance to play him every year?

know what i mean?

and you know how loaded LA is....look at your rosters lol

and LSU gets prime kids from FLA and TX too.....but mostly it is just keeping the fence up

I think this is overrated. These guys are tremendous competitors. Think Tom Herman is "scared of Saban"? Or drools at the chance to play him every year?

know what i mean?

I def know what you mean - I just don't know what thought process is legit. On one hand I can see how they want to compete and beat the best n the other hand I can see how they would want to play Wake, Duke, Virginia instead of Auburn, Miss St, Arkansas if they want to win a championship. I admit I have no idea so you could be right

I def know what you mean - I just don't know what thought process is legit. On one hand I can see how they want to compete and beat the best n the other hand I can see how they would want to play Wake, Duke, Virginia instead of Auburn, Miss St, Arkansas if they want to win a championship. I admit I have no idea so you could be right

ive struggled with it before, but i just can't see these guys being pussies....how else would you get to this level?

ive struggled with it before, but i just can't see these guys being pussies....how else would you get to this level?

It prob just depends on what motivates a guy, I would think. I don't think staying at FSU, for example, makes him a pussy, I think it shows wisdom. If he values competion more than championships then no doubt, take the LSU job. If he values winning a title more than anything, stay put. To me that's just logical. Personally, if I'm a tennis player for example, I am not hoping I look at the bracket and have Federer, Djokovic and Roddick on my side of the bracket I'm just fine being on the other side of the bracket. I don't think that makes me a pussy but then again I would value championship more than playing the best each round.

Neuheisel threw out M Dantonio....Mich St all over again like Saban

They going offense, but that is interesting

I think the tendency will be to go after someone different but not necessarily better. That's why you already see names like Kingsbury on fan wish lists. I don't think LSU would tolerate a guy who scores 40 ppg but goes 7-5.

It prob just depends on what motivates a guy, I would think. I don't think staying at FSU, for example, makes him a pussy, I think it shows wisdom. If he values competion more than championships then no doubt, take the LSU job. If he values winning a title more than anything, stay put. To me that's just logical. Personally, if I'm a tennis player for example, I am not hoping I look at the bracket and have Federer, Djokovic and Roddick on my side of the bracket I'm just fine being on the other side of the bracket. I don't think that makes me a pussy but then again I would value championship more than playing the best each round.

It's an interesting topic for sure. Now that almost all power 5 schools can and are willing to pay top dollar, I think a lot of other factors come into play. Things that guys in regular jobs like us think about when looking at changing jobs. Things like family, schools (for kids), will wife be happy, etc. And I think job pressure would be at the top of that list. I'm guessing it weighs on their mind that if they go to a school like LSU and go 10-2 2 years in a row, but lose to Alabama both years, they are on the hot seat. But you stay at Houston for instance, go to a NY6 bowl and beat a traditional power and they'll sign you to a 10 year extension and build a statue of you. God help the poor guy who has to follow Saban

I think the tendency will be to go after someone different but not necessarily better. That's why you already see names like Kingsbury on fan wish lists. I don't think LSU would tolerate a guy who scores 40 ppg but goes 7-5.

KK is absurd. No way that happens. I would be pretty shocked, but these situations can be shocking.

the Briles thing is everywhere.....my dude in BR says he was IN BR on campus yesterday

again, it would be consulting at this point is what they are stressing......because obv sensitive timing here

briles ain't getting hired by alleva. mark that down.

Baylor paid Briles a ton of money on the way out the door. If he had done half of what the Twitter-verse claims he did, they wouldn't have paid him anywhere near that, if anything at all. Whether the true story ever comes out, or if it's allowed to come out, I do not know. There are a lot of politics swirling around this issue. I am hearing from my source that its Jimbo or Herman. I suspect the former would come and the latter would not. Not sure what's going on with Briles. Maybe he does a rehab year as some sort of consultant at LSU and waits for the UT job to open up. Maybe Auburn finishes 6-6 and he winds up there. Whoever is brave enough to hire him is going to win a lot of football games.

Baylor paid Briles a ton of money on the way out the door. If he had done half of what the Twitter-verse claims he did, they wouldn't have paid him anywhere near that, if anything at all. Whether the true story ever comes out, or if it's allowed to come out, I do not know. There are a lot of politics swirling around this issue. I am hearing from my source that its Jimbo or Herman. I suspect the former would come and the latter would not. Not sure what's going on with Briles. Maybe he does a rehab year as some sort of consultant at LSU and waits for the UT job to open up. Maybe Auburn finishes 6-6 and he winds up there. Whoever is brave enough to hire him is going to win a lot of football games.

supposedly he is going to consult the offense...now, how that happens. don't know.

dude is radioactive right now....so they probably 'know' they can't 'hire' him......but the gang may be getting together

the aranda and herman relationship thing just makes so much sense

i am sure most know it, but here

http://www.espn.com/blog/bigten/post/_/id/112292/the-cal-lu-connection

texas would never, ever hire briles. the political fallout would be too enormous.

and fwiw, briles got that money because he sued baylor for wrongful termination. the pepper hamilton report, or what was remembered woulda been made public. the entire BOR woulda been subpoenaed. no way in hell baylor was gonna let that happen.

hell, who do all you tigers want? who's top of the list?
Personally, Herman would have to tell me "No!" about 78 times before I moved to the second choice. Of course that assumes one of the very elite doesn't fall in their lap somehow.

Back