Week 2 Write-ups and Hopefully Feedback

13. Appalachian State +17 @Clemson(BOL): As I've mentioned before, this is the kind of game for Appy State that you almost have to auto play. They live for these games. Since 2019, the Mountaineers are 8-2-1 as a road dog, and they've covered all of those games that were in the non-conference, 3 of them outright(At North Carolina, South Carolina and Texas A&M. This year they're replacing some offensive linemen, but all of their receiving depth comes back on offense as does QB Joey Aguillar, who threw for 3700 yards and 33 TDs last year. Defensively, their DL is probably the best in the Sun Belt, which will be important because they'll have to slow down Phil Mafah. Clemson is coming off getting their asses kicked against Georgia so they'll be ready to play, but it's becoming very obvious that Cade Klubnik is not the guy at QB. Things are starting to go a bit haywire for Dabo, and you have to wonder if Clemson might be another version of Florida State this year. We'll see, but if they are, Appy State is exactly the kind of team they don't want to see here. If they come in and take care of business against the Mountaineers, good for them, but there's a lot of evidence and past performance that tells us that is unlikely.

This was totally out of character for both teams. Clemson piled up copious amounts of yards Appy was no resistance.

Last edited:
14. Mississippi State +5.5 @Arizona State: I was against the Sun Devils last week and they made me look stupid by absolutely bludgeoning Wyoming. Call me a glutton for punishment, but I"D LIKE TO SEE YOU DO THAT AGAIN SUN DEVILS!!! Jeff Lebby is the new coach at Mississippi State and he's been able to put up points everywhere that he's been. Former Baylor QB Blake Shapen is his QB, so at least Arizona State will have to contend with a somewhat competent QB and a proven scheme this week. I remain skeptical of Sun Devil QB Sam Leavitt and although MSU is picked for close to last in the SEC, they've always had solid defenses, even when Mike Leach was there. This is admittedly a bit of a hunch, but I don't think this Sun Devil squad is going to be able to just brush aside an SEC team with SEC athletes and a smart offensive scheme.

ASU is much better than I thought. Leavit and Skattebo both can run. Game got stale at the end.

Last edited:
14. Mississippi State +5.5 @Arizona State: I was against the Sun Devils last week and they made me look stupid by absolutely bludgeoning Wyoming. Call me a glutton for punishment, but I"D LIKE TO SEE YOU DO THAT AGAIN SUN DEVILS!!! Jeff Lebby is the new coach at Mississippi State and he's been able to put up points everywhere that he's been. Former Baylor QB Blake Shapen is his QB, so at least Arizona State will have to contend with a somewhat competent QB and a proven scheme this week. I remain skeptical of Sun Devil QB Sam Leavitt and although MSU is picked for close to last in the SEC, they've always had solid defenses, even when Mike Leach was there. This is admittedly a bit of a hunch, but I don't think this Sun Devil squad is going to be able to just brush aside an SEC team with SEC athletes and a smart offensive scheme.
Great pick here. Was at ASU last week. Should not be laying this many points

If you're a dog player, today was for you as the dogs continued barking. Unless of course you liked Appy State, Western Michigan, Colorado and Michigan. I'll have some recaps on the posts with the plays tomorrow AM.

Sorry for the delay. Hope everyone had a good week. Not great for me, one of those weeks. I ended up writing up the wrong games, obviously. Don't have much of n excuse on why I passed on a couple I usually always use (Cal as a dog, NIU as a dog, etc). I didn't do a "cutting room floor post due to time, and I'm glad because there would have been a lot of shoulda wouldas in there. This week was another reminder of a couple useful rules to follow. 1. Lean to dogs. and 2. Don't get intoxicated by what happened last week. Adding comments to the posts with plays now.

Back