Score for ESPN Handicappers, Week 11

TahoeLegend

Pretty much a regular
Best performance of the year overall by the field. Trocci and Cowherd were both 4-1, Stanford Steve 3-1. The Bear took the gas and is on a bad streak, 1-1 on his regular picks, in the red for the season, 0-3 on his bank picks, second straight week at 0-3, and is 1-8 the last three weeks.

The Bear—Week 11 (1-1) Season (16-15)
S_Carolina at Mississippi – Mississippi (-11) Win
Colorado at Stanford – Stanford (-6.5) Lose
Bear’s Bank Picks—Week 11 (0-3)) Season (13-16)

TCU Lose
Michigan Lose
Purdue Lose

Stanford Steve— Week 11 (3-1) Season (24-15) Best Bet (5-4)

East_Carolina at Cincinnati – Over (56.5) Win
MTSU at Marshall – Marshall (-24) Win
Illinois at Rutgers – Rutgers (-6.5) Lose
Oregon at Washington_St – Oregon (-10) Win

Bill Trocci— Week 11 (4-1) Season (27-21)

Wake Forest +13.5 Win
Notre Dame -13.5 Win
Florida -17.5 Win
Wisconsin -4 Win
Purdue +3 Lose

Phil Steele-- Week 11 (2-4) Season (16-29)

East Carolina+28 vs Cincinnati Lose
Utah-2.5 vs UCLA No Contest
Stanford-7.5 vs Colorado Lose
Miami (FL)+2 vs Virginia Tech Win
Northwestern-2.5 vs Purdue Win
Pro
Cleveland Browns -3 vs Houston Texans Tie
LA Chargers+1.5 vs Miami Dolphines Lose
Packers-13 vs Jacksonville Jaguars Lose

Scott Van Pelt— Week 11 (0-0) Season (27-24)

Joey and Jesse Virtual Locks
Joey
(22-5 last year) Week 11 (1-1) Season (9-7)
Florida/Arkansas over Win
App State -17 Lose
Jesse
(16-11 last year) Week 11 (1-1) Season (7-8)
Oregon -10 Win
USC Lose

Colin Cowherd Blazing Five— Week 10 (4-1) Season (25-24)

Tamp Bay -6 Win
NY Giants +3.5 Win
Miami -2.5 Win
Rams -2.5 Win
49ers +9.5 Lose

My Picks— Week 11 (3-3) Season (30-21)

Tulsa -2 Win
Rutgers -6 Lose
Arkansas +17x Lose
Wake Forest +13x Win
W Virginia -2x Win
Cal pick Lose

Two early picks this week
Cincinnati -4x
Oklahoma -7

Hated to go that extra half on Cincinnati. I was ready to jump on the open on Cincinnati and the number was -3x, but before I could do anything it jumped to 4, then 4x. I hate that extra half point, but that's life.

BOL this week Tahoe, I regret not playing over in Ark/FL as opposed to the side. I have played the FLA/Vandy over to start with this week, like what I have seen of Seals and he seems to be improving every week. Vandy D though is really bad, and I see FL hanging 50 plus here.

I have played the FLA/Vandy over to start with this week, like what I have seen of Seals and he seems to be improving every week. Vandy D though is really bad, and I see FL hanging 50 plus here.
I agree. And the thing I like about playing Florida over is they take the field TRYING to hang 50 on people.

Great call on Tulsa last weekend. Resilient / salty team. Didn't play its best game obviously and was in a deep hole right away as a result. But chipped away and got the win.

I bet Cincy but I'm leaning the other way in Bedlam. I think Okie St defense is for real. Tough to bet any of these games early though with the uncertainty of guys sitting....

That's the biggest problem this year. Most schools are refusing to even list how many player they are missing, let alone who they are. I've got good contacts at both schools so should know if either is missing someone important

You're right about the Okla State D too. Very tough, filled with tough guys who can run and like to hit. Their problem is the offense. it's operating far below where it should be. Hubbard is a shadow of what he was last year, the QB still is a turnover machine, Wallace is still an excellent WR, but does not look 100% to me, and the O-line is still their big problem

The series has changed over the last couple of decades, Oklahoma still wins almost every time, but Okla State has been good enough OU doesn't see them as a walkover like they have for most of the history. They know Ok State can beat them if they come out flat

Last edited:
Great call on Tulsa last weekend. Resilient / salty team. Didn't play its best game obviously and was in a deep hole right away as a result. But chipped away and got the win.

That was the absolute prototype Tulsa game. They play game after game like that. It has all the Tulsa trademarks--come out flat, QB plays so bad you can't believe a college player did it, missed FGs, play calls like that series on the goal line that defy common sense, defense always hanging in there pounding on the other team's offense, then QB makes a play so perfect you wonder why he can't do it every time, claw back into the game, then either lose it or win it on the last play

They'll probably do the same thing this week

Two early picks this week
Cincinnati -4x
Oklahoma -7

Hated to go that extra half on Cincinnati. I was ready to jump on the open on Cincinnati and the number was -3x, but before I could do anything it jumped to 4, then 4x. I hate that extra half point, but that's life.
I’d be shocked if that point mattered. I’d play bearcats all way up to -6, they on a statement tour and ucf defense yet another that will give a boast to a cincy offense that appears to be getting stronger in some facets, namely the play of Ridder imo. Cincy rolls them imo.

you gotta talk to me bout sooners although I’m much less likely to bite on okie lite now, the +9.5 had way more appeal! I just feel like the dog has the vastly superior d and im just not as sold on this version of sooners offense with this rattler kid at the helm?? Cowboys get after the passer and I don’t trust rattler. So basically long story short I feel like im getting the better defense, the team I think will have more success running, and 7 points. what am I missing?

you gotta talk to me bout sooners although I’m much less likely to bite on okie lite now, the +9.5 had way more appeal! I just feel like the dog has the vastly superior d and im just not as sold on this version of sooners offense with this rattler kid at the helm?? Cowboys get after the passer and I don’t trust rattler. So basically long story short I feel like im getting the better defense, the team I think will have more success running, and 7 points. what am I missing?
Okla State is a popular dog this week and they do have a good defense, the best one they've had in a long time. I really enjoy watching them play, a bunch of guys who got overlooked by most schools and they have a chip on their shoulders. I like that type player. If they were playing the first few weeks of the season Okla State would have an advantage, but I don't see it now. The stats are almost identical, but Oklahoma made a big jump when their freshmen D-backs started getting playing time in the Texas game (one of the won the game with an interception) and since Perkins, the best player on the OU D, came back in the Texas Tech game.

And while Okla State was supposed to have a better running game that isn't the way things played out. They average about 10 yards a game more than Oklahoma, but OU played their first five games without Stevenson,, their best RB by far. Hubbard has been a shell of himself--maybe because their O-line has had so many problems--and although Brown is playing better than Hubbard, Stevenson was the best back in the conference the last half of last year--averaged 8 yards a carry and is the reason Sermon transferred to Ohio State--and the entire OU offense changed when he got back off suspension against Tech.

I'll take Rattler over Sanders any day. Rattler gets wild with the ball now and then, but Sanders was a turnover machine last year and is again this year. Sanders is a better runner--if he's healthy--but not in Rattler's class as a passer.

And no reason even to discuss offense because Oklahoma is head and shoulders better. And OU has the best kicker, best punter, and best returners, although Okla State has started playing Brennan Presley, a freshman and a future star, a little more as the season progresses and he's as dangerous as any OU returner.

And there are other reasons I prefer Oklahoma. Okla State is like a racehorse moving up in class, moving frm Oaklawn to Del Mar, Oklahoma has bigger, faster, better athletes. They always beat Okla State and both teams know it. This is Gundy's 16th year as head coach and he has two wins over Oklahoma (one a fluke when Stoops made a blunder and punted a second time instead of just taking a penalty against Ok State and Tyreek Hill took it all the way in the final seconds). The last five years Oklahoma is 5-0 SU 4-1 ATS and Oklahoma has won by 35,10,18, 1, and 18.

I expected the line to open at 10x and maybe go up if anything and I would have probably passed at that number, but 7 looks like a bargain to me.

Last edited:
I should have mentioned one of the most interesting things about the game.

Every year it's the same thing in all big brother/little brother games--the little brother is always more fired up and it's always more important to them. The big brother takes it for granted they'll win. And this rivalry is probably the most one-sided of all big brother/little brother rivalries--Oklahoma leads 89-18.

And there is always the factor that it's played at the end of the season, OU always has a better record, and they are already thinking about the conference title game and how if they win the conference title they will make the CFP field.

Not this year. Oklahoma already has two losses, no chance at the CFP, and has no reason to overlook a team with a better record and a better chance to make the conference title game. So if OU is ever going to be as fired up for the game as Okla State this is the year.

Last edited:
Thanks brother. I def don’t like how popular okie lite appears to be which in itself was prob enough to keep me off. My eyes only about half way open still so once I get my brain jump started w coffee and drugs I’ll read back over and comment, lol.

Alright brother. I’m more lucid now! I’ll try to respond to your post in a more coherent manner, although I can’t say I disagree with much!

far as the Cowboys run game I agree it been a huge disappointment but I do think I have seen signs lately! Brown often better than chubba hubba. Really think this a game they can run for 250 w Sanders run yards included. You correct he a turnover machine. I just can’t envision laying a td against Cowboys here. Easy pass maybe and I’ll be your biggest fan cause it kill me to pass and okie lite wins!!!! Lol.

Good talk as always brother. This my favorite thread to come and chit chat. Hope nobody feels I’m drawing away from purpose of the espn guys picks?!!?? If so just tell me, it hurt my feelings but I’ll respect it!!! :(. Lol

Hope nobody feels I’m drawing away from purpose of the espn guys picks

No, just the opposite. Reason I post them is to get reactions from good pickers on this board and find out what they are thinking

I'm not worried about the Ok State rushing game. Oklahoma is 14th in the country in rushing D, giving up fewer than 100 yards a game. What worries me more is the long pass. Sanders can throw it deep and has a couple of receivers who can catch them in a crowd and that's been a weak spot for Oklahoma.

What about the total. Any thoughts on that?

I too like OU this weekend for a variety of reasons and on top of things Okie State seems to be destined to figure out ways to lose (big) games when it has no business doing so. Cannot get that Texas game out of my mind - rash of turnovers, stupid penalties and the killer being a roughing the punter penalty that essentially gave Texas the game (when Okie State had no business being near the punter to begin with). Just a team that wasn't ready to seize the moment in a big game. Not seeing how that changes this weekend.

Just heard the two starting CBs for South Carolina opted out today. I think that makes six starters who have opted out, plus the coach just got fired.

Makes me wonder if S Carolina will have much interest in showing up for the remaining games

Injuries may be a factor in Okla/Okla State (most OU alums call them Oklahoma A & M during this week, but I'm being civil).

One important one for Oklahoma--Austin Stogner, the TE that Rattler throws to more than any other receiver is listed as questionable

Okla State has several who are important--RB LD Brown, WR Tylen Wallace, OL Jake Springfield on the offense, DT Israel Antwain, S Kolby Harvell-Peel on defense. Don't know the injury of the first four, but the safety has a concussion

All are starters except Brown, but he has been their best RB this year. All would hurt the Cowboys (aggies this week) but the biggest loss would be Harvell-Peel, an outstanding safety. They can't replace him. They are deep at WR so even though the replacement would not be a star like Wallace, they have a lot of good ones.

They can’t afford not to have brown, I mean if chubba plays up to he capable they could but thst hasn’t happened a whole lot and brown has saved their asses.

seemed like Joel Klatt kinda hinted at vols this week. He didn’t do his “almost upset” again for some reason but he did say watch out for vols, 11 lot of points.

Back