ESPN's Handicappers Picks Week #12

bones

We Must Protect Our Democracy
Get this started and will add as I can. Updated the results from Weeks 11 & 12 as follows:
BTB:
Week 10 1-0 and Powers 0-1
Week 11 0-1 and Powers 1-0
Season: 7-4 and Powers 6-2 last 8 weeks

Bear:
Week 10 2-3 Sidekick 1-0
Week 11 4-3 Sidekick 1-0
Season: 24-32 Sidekick 2-0 last 2 weeks (no idea season, but I think he is around .500)

Clay Travis:
Week 10 9-8
Week 11 5-9
Season: 73-76-1

Me:
Week 10 5-5-1
Week 11 4-1
Season: 55-48-1

In supplement to last week's unanimous selection for most attaractive handicapper:

1700084185754.png

BTB:
WEEK 12:1-0
POWERS: 1-0
SEASON: 8-4
Powers: 7-2 last 9 weeks

BEST BET: Skipped ahead. After describing the board as “a little rocky” he has Michigan State +4.5. He has game as “pick ‘em on a neutral.” He says you get a better defense and slightly better running offense on paper. “I will not be watching this.”

Ga @ Tenny +10.5/59
GA can tie longest win streak in SEC history. GA won 5 of last 6 in Knoxville and covered 6 of last 7 meetings. Won each of last 6 by 14+. 27-13 GA last year. UT gets penalized a lot, one of most in nation. GA had 611 yds of offense last week.

Powers on GA Offense and Tenny D: Tenny D cannot stop GA offense. Mims back on GA O line. McConkey at receiver is back/good. Edwards and Milton at RB iare back and good. GA is deep and Beck looking good with 1 pick in last 3 games. BoBo. GA O coordinator. doing very well. All kinds of stats on offense in Top 5. Meanwhile, Tenny D looked bad last week (he's seen it before)…loafing…no effort….disorganized. No clear-cut path for Tenny defense to have any success. Tenny 1H last week was as bad as it gets. Payne on Tenny Offense vs GA Defense: "Tough games for bettors if you’re too emotional and negative re Tenny." Payne believes Tenny offense can be better this week. GA defense is good but not as good as ’21 or ’22. GA plays 6 men boxes. Ole Miss ran with some success last week. He gives Vol’s run game a chance to have some success. Milton should be used in run game. He did not predict success for Tenny but gives them a chance for running opportunities.

UNC @ Clemson -6.5/58
UNC has not won this game since 2010 and Clemson’s last losing season. Clemson won 39-10 in ACC title game last year. UNC is alive for ACC title with 2 wins in remaining games and Ville beating FlaState this week. First time this season that UNC is an underdog. In 5 games where UNC has been a dog with Drake Maye as starter they are 3-2 straight up and 4-1 ATS. Clemson is 45’2 in last 47 at home. Powers on UNC offense vs Clemson defense: This match-up btw these units is “strength on strength.” He expects a UNC passing game and Maye looks better with Tez Walker at wr. Concern re UNC O Line. Agst Pitt and Miami they gave up 10 sacks. Does not bode well agst Clemson front. Clemson has not faced any passer as good as Maye. Brad leans Clemson defense but not real sure. Payne on Clemson Offense and UNC Defense: UNC has faced “smash mouth” offenses and could be fatigued and are there has been running success agst them. Maffa and Shipley RB duo are good and their O Line has some success and may open up the Clemson pass game. UNC is outside top 100 in explosive pass gains allowed. Klubnick did well agst UNC in title game last year. Payne suggest that if Clemson did not turn ball over and finished drives then the -6.5 is “a touch short.”

Non-Power 5 ODU @ GaSouthern -6/60.5
Brad takes ODU +6.

He gives stats and cites ODU schedule as tougher. Payne concurs and says there is a lot of confirmation in the sharp betting market.

KSt @ Kansas +7.5/56.5
Last 4 wins for Kst wins in this game have been a combined total of 176-61. KSt has won last 7 trips to Lawrence and last Kansas win was 2008. This will be Kansas’ first winning season in 10 years. Question is who will be Kansas QB, Bean or Ballard? Powers on Kansas offense vs KSt defense: KU’s Bean has a head injury but Liepold says he’s optimistic Bean can play. If Bean does not play “this number is severely short.” Ballard is a freshman walk on. “If Bean is out big edge to KSt.”
Payne on KState offense and Kansas defense: Payne sees an advantage for KSt “everywhere.”Not really a path for stops for Kansas unless the turnover bug bites KSt.” KSt o line is good and only team that could handle them was Texas. The O line is Top 15 creating yards and 2 rbs Giddens and Ward are a Top 10 rushing attack. Kansas allows over 6 yds a carry and are outside the top 120 in EPA per rush allowed. If Will Howard is ahead of down and distance he is a much better qb. Howard will not have to throw often and when he does it will be longer passes over 10 yards. Nothing really positive he had to say re Kansas defense. He says “If Bean is out this is not going to be much of a rivalry here.”

Utah @ AZ -1/45
AZ seeking 1st win agst Utah since 2015. Utah has won 3 consecutive games in Tucson. AZ has a longshot chance to get to PAC12 title game. Utah is 10-2 ATS last 12 times as road underdog. AZ is 8-2 ATS this season, 8-2 to the Under and 5-0 agst ranked opponents. Powers on AZ Offense vs Utah Defense: He has a “massive upgrade” of 10 points for AZ power rating, more than any Power 5 team in country. He lost his Under 5.5 win total wager for the year. He said AZ could be 9-1 but de Laura at qb lost the game gst Messy.. Fifita at QB takes care of the ball. He thinks Fifita is worth 1 to 1.5 of the upgraded power rating. He likes rb and wr and legit NFL caliber tight end for AZ. Payne thinks “price wise pick ‘em is a fair price….one of the tougher games, you do have a freshman qb (Fifita) going agst a Utah defense and that does not have a good sound to it.” Fifita is coming off his worst performance of the year agst Colorado. He thinks the path for AZ success is on Fifita and short passing offense and quick throws. He does think AZ has a chance to win this game and mentions Fifita's good play vs UCLA.

Washington @ Oregon State -2/64
Tickets going for 4x to 5x face value. Last 2 meetings decided by a total of 3 points. If Beavers win next two games they go to conference title game. Washington’s 17 straight wins is 2nd longest in team history going back to 22 straight 1990-1992. Washington defense has allowed 28+ points in 3 straight and 24+ points in 6 of 7 PAC12 games. Huskies are -1 in turnover margin tied for 77th in the country. Beavers 8-2 start best since 2012, the 2 loses by combined 6 points, lowest margin of any FBS team with more than 1 loss. Beavers are dominant at home, 5-0, and all these wins by 12+ and are on a 9-0 home win streak.

Powers on Huskie offense vs Beaver defense: McMillan for Huskies may be back at wr. “You cannot ignore the Washington advantage on offense.” Huskie’s advantage in passing is Beaver weakness on defense. Dillon Johnson at rb for Huskies provides balance in attack. Powers not sure they even try for balance. Who have Beavers actually faced at QB? He suggests that most all opposing qbs that are not of Penix’s stature have had some success agst them. Beavers can apply pressure, but Huskies o line does not give up sacks. “I get the money on Beavers, but my goodness Washington has the edge on offense.”

Payne on Beavers offense vs Huskie defense: Martinez is bell cow rb, Top 15-20 in stats. Can DJU succeed through the air if Beavers get behind? Huskie defense is susceptible to the pass and allows 200 yds on the ground. This is a game of strength on weakness of both offenses vs the defenses. “The Achilles heal for Huskies is physicality in their defensive front….hard to fathom a team making the college playoffs with the type of front Washington has.” He gives stats where Huskies are outside top 100 in many categories including tackles for loss. Beavers run game is “so efficient”; in down to down efficiency, top 7 in rushing success rate, top 25 in explosive runs. He expects DJU to be involved in run game. Both Oregon and USC had “field days” running the ball vs Huskies. Huskies are not good tackling team and Martinez and Fenwick for Beavers avg 3.8 yards after 1st contact. Thus DJU should not be in passing situations. He says this is a game of competing styles b/c he also thinks that Beavers can't stop Huskie pass game either. He gave big advantages to Beavers rushing offense v Huskies.

SMU @ Memphis +8.5/65.5
SMU has beaten Memphis in 2 of last 3. Evidently, Memphis historically has ATS advantage. SMU has had one of nation’s softest schedules. Memphis coming in after 4 straight wins since losing to Tulane last was 44-38 OT win agst Charlotte, last 4 wins 1-3 ATS. SMU’s starting qb, Stone, came back last week. Powers on SMU offense vs Memphis defense: “SMU far and away better team here”…gives stats re win margin, points per game and yards per game. In week 2 SMU played OU straight up until 4th qtr. SMU players were highly recruited, great transfers. Powers thinks “SMU is best group of 5 team in the country….I think Memphis is a fraud.” He does like Memphis rb and wrs, but the Memphis defense is atrocious last 8 games have allowed 480 yds per game. “SMU for me.” Payne: “Brad hit it perfectly, you just don’t like laying multiple scores on the road in a game like this.…We were all hoping to lay worst case scenario 7 and the number has not given us the opportunity.”

UNLV @ AF -3/47
Forecast looks good, low 35. Winner takes sole possession of Mountain West. AF on 2 game losing streak. Score in last year’s game was 42-7 AF. UNLV has lost only to Michigan and Fresno (dropped a last second TD pass) and the 5 game winning streak is longest since ’84. Major injury concerns for AF. UNLV 9-1 ATS best in country with cover margin of 11.5 pts and they are “super consistent” in their play. Only game they did not cover was ColoSt, a victory. “UNLV does not have a lot of weaknesses.” AF has Larriar injury at qb and turnovers are a problem. “Larriar does not look right…this line is telling you he is doubtful….if he was probable, we’d be sitting at 6 point spread here.” Replacement, Jones, is a three point downgrade to say the least. UNLV is ‘live’ here. AF just does not have the throw game and consistency in run game.

Last edited:
Clay Travis
WEEK 12: 2-11
SEASON: 75-87-1

Ville @ Miami UNDER 47.5 LOSE
Looking back, the fact that Virginia-Louisville hit the over on Thursday night was an ominous foreshadowing of the week to come. It’s 14-0 with five minutes to go in the third quarter and then in the final 20 minutes the team’s combine to score 41 points, including two defensive touchdowns. But that’s in the past now. Both of these teams have excellent defenses and with a spot on the line for Louisville in the ACC title game, I think defenses dominate the day. The final is 21-17, giving you a 10-point cushion on the under.

Rutgers @ PSU UNDER 42.5 WIN
Rutgers couldn’t score at Iowa last Saturday and Penn State hasn’t been able to score against most teams down the stretch this season. Rutgers has a decent defense and not much offense, Penn State has a really good defense and not much offense. So what happens? I think a game that is somewhat similar to what we saw last week in Iowa. Penn State wins 24-6 and the under cashes with ease.

Michigan -19.5 @ MD LOSE
I know many people will take Maryland here because this is the definition of a trap game, big win on the road at Penn State and Ohio State looms next weekend for Michigan. But I actually think the Harbaugh suspension benefits Michigan because it causes the team to focus way better than they ordinarily would. Michigan doesn’t want to just win, they want to send a message to everyone about how wrongly they are being treated. And Maryland happens to be the unfortunate victim here, I like the Wolverines by 28+.

UMass @ Liberty -27.5 LOSE
All Jamey Chadwell does is win. The guy is 40-5 in his past 45 college football games and he has Liberty undefeated and crushing opponents this year. Next up on the chopping block? UMass. The Flames burn their way to another win and another cover.

Duke @ UVA UNDER 46.5 LOSE
Two teams that have solid defenses yet often play games dictated by their opponents. What happens when they play? Almost no points, the under is the play.

Illinois @ Iowa OVER 30.5 LOSE
I’m doing it, I’m taking an Iowa over. I really am. The Iowa offense is showing some life and the Illinois defense is not. I think Iowa may, grab your pearls, be good for 21 in this game and that means Illinois just needs ten to get over the number. In fact, and you really may need the fainting couch now, I think it’s possible Iowa hits the over by themselves. The over, shudder, is really the play in an Iowa game.

GA @ Tenny +10.5 LOSE
When you’ve been saying Tennessee was going to beat Georgia in Neyland all season long like I have, you have to take the Vols as a double digit home underdog.
Tennessee has been a completely different team on the road and at home for Josh Heupel’s past two years. Georgia is coming off its best game of the season and Tennessee is coming off its worst. Sometimes that flips the next week in college football. Which is why I’m taking the Vols for the cover. And regardless of what happens in the game, I’ll be live in Knoxville for Big Noon on Fox.

UNC @ Clemson OVER 58.5 LOSE
North Carolina’s defense can’t stop anyone. And that includes Clemson. Honestly, UNC just plays shootout games no matter the opponent. The Tar Heels dictate pace. And the pace is the over at Clemson.

Florida @ Mizzu -11 and OVER 58.5 LOSE WIN
Mizzou is licking its chops for the Gators, who figure to fall to 5-6 on the road in Columbia this weekend. But this Gator defense has just completely fallen apart the past few weeks. Consider these numbers, the Gators have given up 39, 43, 39, and 52 in their past four games. So you can pencil in Mizzou for at least 40 on Saturday.
Meanwhile the Gator offense hasn’t been a disaster, scoring 38, 41, 20 (against Georgia), 36 and 35 the past five weeks. Figure the Gators score 21+, which is why, tap the veins boys and girls, my blood bank guarantee this week is the over in Florida at Mizzou. (And Mizzou also covers.)

Texas @ Iowa State +7.5 LOSE
Remember earlier this year when I told you Oklahoma State was going to beat Oklahoma outright. Iowa State is going to beat Texas outright this weekend.
But you get a full touchdown if I’m wrong. Take the Cyclones to blow up the Big 12’s playoff chances in Ames.

Ky @ SoCar OVER 53.5 LOSE
This is a sneaky big game for both teams. The Gamecocks need to win to stay potentially eligible for a bowl and Kentucky, coming off a beatdown against Alabama, wants to avoid a 6-6 season after starting the year 5-0. So what happens? Both teams score 27+ and the game may well head into overtime in a shootout fashion

Wash @ OreState OVER 63.5 LOSE
Oregon State has a chance to put a loss on Washington and potentially win out to make the Pac 12 title game. In what would be the final year of the Pac 12. Which means this is a must watch game and the Beavers home crowd will be wild. The result? A shootout to end the year in Corvallis, the over’s the play.

Last edited:
My Selections:
WEEK 12: 4-4
SEASON: 59-52-1

1.5 Unit plays

Northwestern +3 WIN
Utah +1 LOSE
KState -8 LOSE

1 Unit plays

UNLV @ AF OVER 47 WIN
ODU +6 WIN
Washington +2.5 WIN
Iowa State +7.5 LOSE
SMU TT OVER 19.5 1H -122 LOSE

Teaser SMU -2.5 & GaTech -.5

Leans: UH +7 and SMU -8.5

1700184181352.png

Last edited:
Stanford Steve—(3--3) (36-32) Three Year Record (103-79)
Oregon St -1.5
Miami +1
Georgia-Tennessee OV 58.5
JMU -9
San Jose St -14.5
Illinois-Iowa OV 31.5

The Bear—(4-3) (22-33) Three Year Record (98-89)
FAU +9.5
AZST +24
Washington +2.5
Illini +3
Temple +7.5
Wisky -4.5
Best Bet: Notre Dame -24.5

Scott Van Pelt—(4-5) (42-48) Three Year Record (164-125)
Mia-Fla -1
Memphis +8x
Cincinnati +6x
Virginia +3x
Illinois +3
Tennessee +10
Houston +7
Florida +11x
So Carolina +1x
Oregon St -2x

Other Pickers:
Adam Kramer—(4-5) (50-47) (75-52)

Miami +1
Oregon State -2x
Iowa State +7x
Washington State -4x
Virginia +3x
Tennessee +10x
Pitt -3
Air Force -3
Wyoming -13x
FAU +9x

Colin Cowherd Blazing Five—(2-2-1) (32-32) Three Year Record (94-100)
Oregon St -1.5
Miami +1
Georgia-Tennessee OV 58.5
JMU -9
San Jose St -14.5
Illinois-Iowa OV 31.5

My Picks— (3-0) (19-16) Teasers (2-1) (15-13) Three Year Record (150-97)
Teasers: Maryland/Kansas State, Oregon State/Georgia

Joe Fortenbaugh— (2-2) (19-18) Two Year Record (45-41)
Michigan State +3x
Old Dominion +6
Oregon State -2x

Last edited:
BTB:

BEST BET: Skipped ahead. After describing the board as “a little rocky” he has Michigan State +4.5. He has game as “pick ‘em on a neutral.” He says you get a better defense and slightly better running offense on paper. “I will not be watching this.”

Ga @ Tenny +10.5/59
GA can tie longest win streak in SEC history. GA won 5 of last 6 in Knoxville and covered 6 of last 7 meetings. Won each of last 6 by 14+. 27-13 GA last year. UT gets penalized a lot, one of most in nation. GA had 611 yds of offense last week.

Powers on GA Offense and Tenny D: Tenny D cannot stop GA offense. Mims back on GA O line. McConkey at receiver is back/good. Edwards and Milton at RB iare back and good. GA is deep and Beck looking good with 1 pick in last 3 games. BoBo. GA O coordinator. doing very well. All kinds of stats on offense in Top 5. Meanwhile, Tenny D looked bad last week (he's seen it before)…loafing…no effort….disorganized. No clear-cut path for Tenny defense to have any success. Tenny 1H last week was as bad as it gets. Payne on Tenny Offense vs GA Defense: "Tough games for bettors if you’re too emotional and negative re Tenny." Payne believes Tenny offense can be better this week. GA defense is good but not as good as ’21 or ’22. GA plays 6 men boxes. Ole Miss ran with some success last week. He gives Vol’s run game a chance to have some success. Milton should be used in run game. He did not predict success for Tenny but gives them a chance for running opportunities.

UNC @ Clemson -6.5/58
UNC has not won this game since 2010 and Clemson’s last losing season. Clemson won 39-10 in ACC title game last year. UNC is alive for ACC title with 2 wins in remaining games and Ville beating FlaState this week. First time this season that UNC is an underdog. In 5 games where UNC has been a dog with Drake Maye as starter they are 3-2 straight up and 4-1 ATS. Clemson is 45’2 in last 47 at home. Powers on UNC offense vs Clemson defense: This match-up btw these units is “strength on strength.” He expects a UNC passing game and Maye looks better with Tez Walker at wr. Concern re UNC O Line. Agst Pitt and Miami they gave up 10 sacks. Does not bode well agst Clemson front. Clemson has not faced any passer as good as Maye. Brad leans Clemson defense but not real sure. Payne on Clemson Offense and UNC Defense: UNC has faced “smash mouth” offenses and could be fatigued and are there has been running success agst them. Maffa and Shipley RB duo are good and their O Line has some success and may open up the Clemson pass game. UNC is outside top 100 in explosive pass gains allowed. Klubnick did well agst UNC in title game last year. Payne suggest that if Clemson did not turn ball over and finished drives then the -6.5 is “a touch short.”

Non-Power 5 ODU @ GaSouthern -6/60.5
Brad takes ODU +6.

He gives stats and cites ODU schedule as tougher. Payne concurs and says there is a lot of confirmation in the sharp betting market.

KSt @ Kansas +7.5/56.5
Last 4 wins for Kst wins in this game have been a combined total of 176-61. KSt has won last 7 trips to Lawrence and last Kansas win was 2008. This will be Kansas’ first winning season in 10 years. Question is who will be Kansas QB, Bean or Ballard? Powers on Kansas offense vs KSt defense: KU’s Bean has a head injury but Liepold says he’s optimistic Bean can play. If Bean does not play “this number is severely short.” Ballard is a freshman walk on. “If Bean is out big edge to KSt.”
Payne on KState offense and Kansas defense: Payne sees an advantage for KSt “everywhere.”Not really a path for stops for Kansas unless the turnover bug bites KSt.” KSt o line is good and only team that could handle them was Texas. The O line is Top 15 creating yards and 2 rbs Giddens and Ward are a Top 10 rushing attack. Kansas allows over 6 yds a carry and are outside the top 120 in EPA per rush allowed. If Will Howard is ahead of down and distance he is a much better qb. Howard will not have to throw often and when he does it will be longer passes over 10 yards. Nothing really positive he had to say re Kansas defense. He says “If Bean is out this is not going to be much of a rivalry here.”

Utah @ AZ -1/45
AZ seeking 1st win agst Utah since 2015. Utah has won 3 consecutive games in Tucson. AZ has a longshot chance to get to PAC12 title game. Utah is 10-2 ATS last 12 times as road underdog. AZ is 8-2 ATS this season, 8-2 to the Under and 5-0 agst ranked opponents. Powers on AZ Offense vs Utah Defense: He has a “massive upgrade” of 10 points for AZ power rating, more than any Power 5 team in country. He lost his Under 5.5 win total wager for the year. He said AZ could be 9-1 but de Laura at qb lost the game gst Messy.. Fifita at QB takes care of the ball. He thinks Fifita is worth 1 to 1.5 of the upgraded power rating. He likes rb and wr and legit NFL caliber tight end for AZ. Payne thinks “price wise pick ‘em is a fair price….one of the tougher games, you do have a freshman qb (Fifita) going agst a Utah defense and that does not have a good sound to it.” Fifita is coming off his worst performance of the year agst Colorado. He thinks the path for AZ success is on Fifita and short passing offense and quick throws. He does think AZ has a chance to win this game and mentions Fifita's good play vs UCLA.

Washington @ Oregon State -2/64
Tickets going for 4x to 5x face value. Last 2 meetings decided by a total of 3 points. If Beavers win next two games they go to conference title game. Washington’s 17 straight wins is 2nd longest in team history going back to 22 straight 1990-1992. Washington defense has allowed 28+ points in 3 straight and 24+ points in 6 of 7 PAC12 games. Huskies are -1 in turnover margin tied for 77th in the country. Beavers 8-2 start best since 2012, the 2 loses by combined 6 points, lowest margin of any FBS team with more than 1 loss. Beavers are dominant at home, 5-0, and all these wins by 12+ and are on a 9-0 home win streak.

Powers on Huskie offense vs Beaver defense: McMillan for Huskies may be back at wr. “You cannot ignore the Washington advantage on offense.” Huskie’s advantage in passing is Beaver weakness on defense. Dillon Johnson at rb for Huskies provides balance in attack. Powers not sure they even try for balance. Who have Beavers actually faced at QB? He suggests that most all opposing qbs that are not of Penix’s stature have had some success agst them. Beavers can apply pressure, but Huskies o line does not give up sacks. “I get the money on Beavers, but my goodness Washington has the edge on offense.”

Payne on Beavers offense vs Huskie defense: Martinez is bell cow rb, Top 15-20 in stats. Can DJU succeed through the air if Beavers get behind? Huskie defense is susceptible to the pass and allows 200 yds on the ground. This is a game of strength on weakness of both offenses vs the defenses. “The Achilles heal for Huskies is physicality in their defensive front….hard to fathom a team making the college playoffs with the type of front Washington has.” He gives stats where Huskies are outside top 100 in many categories including tackles for loss. Beavers run game is “so efficient”; in down to down efficiency, top 7 in rushing success rate, top 25 in explosive runs. He expects DJU to be involved in run game. Both Oregon and USC had “field days” running the ball vs Huskies. Huskies are not good tackling team and Martinez and Fenwick for Beavers avg 3.8 yards after 1st contact. Thus DJU should not be in passing situations. He says this is a game of competing styles b/c he also thinks that Beavers can't stop Huskie pass game either. He gave big advantages to Beavers rushing offense v Huskies.

SMU @ Memphis +8.5/65.5
SMU has beaten Memphis in 2 of last 3. Evidently, Memphis historically has ATS advantage. SMU has had one of nation’s softest schedules. Memphis coming in after 4 straight wins since losing to Tulane last was 44-38 OT win agst Charlotte, last 4 wins 1-3 ATS. SMU’s starting qb, Stone, came back last week. Powers on SMU offense vs Memphis defense: “SMU far and away better team here”…gives stats re win margin, points per game and yards per game. In week 2 SMU played OU straight up until 4th qtr. SMU players were highly recruited, great transfers. Powers thinks “SMU is best group of 5 team in the country….I think Memphis is a fraud.” He does like Memphis rb and wrs, but the Memphis defense is atrocious last 8 games have allowed 480 yds per game. “SMU for me.” Payne: “Brad hit it perfectly, you just don’t like laying multiple scores on the road in a game like this.…We were all hoping to lay worst case scenario 7 and the number has not given us the opportunity.”

UNLV @ AF -3/47
Forecast looks good, low 35. Winner takes sole possession of Mountain West. AF on 2 game losing streak. Score in last year’s game was 42-7 AF. UNLV has lost only to Michigan and Fresno (dropped a last second TD pass) and the 5 game winning streak is longest since ’84. Major injury concerns for AF. UNLV 9-1 ATS best in country with cover margin of 11.5 pts and they are “super consistent” in their play. Only game they did not cover was ColoSt, a victory. “UNLV does not have a lot of weaknesses.” AF has Larriar injury at qb and turnovers are a problem. “Larriar does not look right…this line is telling you he is doubtful….if he was probable, we’d be sitting at 6 point spread here.” Replacement, Jones, is a three point downgrade to say the least. UNLV is ‘live’ here. AF just does not have the throw game and consistency in run game.
How I heard the BTB Pod:
  1. Too hard to pick. Maybe Tenny covers?
  2. Clemson should cover, too hard to predict
  3. KState wins and likely covers. Bean gives Kansas a chance to cover but he is not playing and with Ballard they have no chance
  4. Possibly worth a Arizona ML play?
  5. Oregon @ Beavers worth a shot on the OVER 63-64.
  6. SMU or nothing
  7. UNLV +3

UNC @ Clemson -6.5/58
Of course, that one ATS loss was against Clemson last year where they came up 22 points short of the number.

SVP winners

Mia-Fla -1
Memphis +8x
Cincinnati +6x
Virginia +3x
Illinois +3
Tennessee +10
Houston +7
Florida +11x
So Carolina +1x
Oregon St -2x

Stanford Steve gave out Ov 58x Georgia/Tennessee

Of course, that one ATS loss was against Clemson last year where they came up 22 points short of the number.
I do lean Clemson and was going to bet them and line is now -7.5. You bet them at -6?

WEEK 12: 4-4
SEASON: 28-36

SIDEKICK: 2-1 last 3 weeks

Tulane @ FAU +9.5 LOSE
Oregon @ AZST +24 LOSE
Washington +2.5
@ OregonSt WIN (now see 'pick')
Illini +3 @ Iowa WIN
Temple +7.5 @ UAB LOSE
Nebraska @ Wisky -4.5 (now see -6) WIN
Best Bet: Wake @ Notre Dame -24.5 WIN

Sidekick: OVER 44.5 Utah @ AZ (now see 46.5) LOSE

Came across this thread of about 15 posts explaining Bear's thoughts re this weekend

Last edited:
My Selections:

1.5 Unit plays
Northwestern +3
Utah +1
KState -8

1 Unit plays
UNLV @ AF OVER 47
ODU +6
Washington +2.5
Iowa State +7.5

Teaser SMU -2.5 & GaTech -.5

Leans: UH +7 and SMU -8.5

View attachment 79239
I'm leaning your way on K State and Iowa State. Having a hard time finding anything I really like this week. Loved Michigan again this week and was going for another max bet on them, but the fact they settled and Harbaugh just accepted the penalty changes things. I don't see how they could have the same edge they had when it was "us against the world" and the players were going public about the chip they had on their shoulders.

I'm in L A and going to the USC/UCLA game tomorrow so I'd like to bet that one, but hate to lay that many points with the USC defense. UCLA is a permanent no-bet for me so it's USC or pass, Maybe play them on a teaser

You--or anyone else--have a feel for that game?

Game time weather for college football games this week. Sunny and dry for most games, but rain for most west coast games. Wind in the high-teens for a few games in the east and upper midwest

i get the feeling you are worried about tomorrow.
No , but I appreciate your interest in my feelings. There is nothing better than watching Clemson play UNC in Death Valley if for no other reason than the aesthetics of the opposing colors and uniforms. Unfortunately, I won't be there. How about you?

I'm leaning your way on K State and Iowa State. Having a hard time finding anything I really like this week. Loved Michigan again this week and was going for another max bet on them, but the fact they settled and Harbaugh just accepted the penalty changes things. I don't see how they could have the same edge they had when it was "us against the world" and the players were going public about the chip they had on their shoulders.

I'm in L A and going to the USC/UCLA game tomorrow so I'd like to bet that one, but hate to lay that many points with the USC defense. UCLA is a permanent no-bet for me so it's USC or pass, Maybe play them on a teaser

You--or anyone else--have a feel for that game?
I would never bet on USC...but hard to bet on UCLA when their offense. No wager for me

I admit that I am liking all the Beaver love. I understand it completely, with head coach, home field, running game, Huskie defense.

But, I enjoy being on the island. Let's see GL to all

I love K State and Iowa State. My top two plays of the week. I’m glad to see you on both. Best of luck!
I will try and get on Clemson Live. Should have taken the -6.5 when I saw it. Just do not like the hook on the 7

Scores for Week 12. Disaster for Stanford Steve, excellent week for Colin Cowherd. I'm not even concentrating. A child would have known to take Iowa ML but, even though I've bet them ML dozens over times over the last few years, it didn't even cross my mind. I deserved the loss

Stanford Steve—(1-7) (37-39) Three Year Record (103-79)
Oregon St -1.5 Lose
Miami +1 Lose
Georgia-Tennessee OV 58.5 Lose
JMU -9 Lose
San Jose St -14.5 Lose
Illinois-Iowa OV 31.5 Lose
North Carolina +8 Lose
N Mexico St +26x

The Bear—(4-3) (26-36) Three Year Record (98-89)
FAU +9.5 Lose
AZST +24 Lose
Washington +2.5 Win
Illini +3 Win
Temple +7.5 Lose
Wisky -4.5 Win
Best Bet: Notre Dame -24.5 Win

Scott Van Pelt—(5-5) (47-53) Three Year Record (164-125)

Mia-Fla +1 Lose
Memphis +8x Win
Cincinnati +6x Lose
Virginia +3x Win
Illinois +3 Win
Tennessee +10 Lose
Houston +7 Lose
Florida +11x Win
So Carolina +1x Win
Oregon St -2x Lose

Other Pickers:
Adam Kramer—(4-6) (54-53) (75-52)

Miami +1 Lose
Oregon State -2x Lose
Iowa State +7x Lose
Washington State -4x Win
Virginia +3x Win
Tennessee +10x Lose
Pitt -3 Win
Air Force -3 Lose
Wyoming -13x Win
FAU +9x Lose

Colin Cowherd Blazing Five—(4-1) (36-33) Three Year Record (94-100)

Chicago +7x Win
Miami -12x 40-24 Lose
LA Rams +1 27-24 Win
Buffalo -7 28-23 Win
Philadelphia +2x Win

My Picks— (0-2) (19-18) Teasers (4-0) (19-13) Three Year Record (150-97)

Iowa -3 Lose
Iowa State +7X Lose
Teasers: Maryland/Kansas State W, Georgia/Oregon St W, The Ville/Iowa W, SMU-Memphis over/Iowa W.

Joe Fortenbaugh— (2-1) (21-19) Two Year Record (45-41)

Michigan State +3x Win
Old Dominion +6 Win
Oregon State -2x Lose

Back