Satyrday Enlightened Squares (NBA)

Satyr

Paster of Muppets
What a fantastic construction there Mimir. :smiley_acbe: That's what I am really, an enlightened square. A sucker bettor that wins. Yep. I'm serious here :).

First of, I can only regret for last night. Not taking Miami was a serious mistake, even though I capped it as Miami DD. Oh well, won't repeat the same mistake tonight, square or no square I'm on this one. And yes, despite line movement.

Two bets, one game:

First of, I agree with everyone who says that the Clipps are a team on a mission, they got their act together and picked up their game in recent weeks, I would say they're mentally definitely in the playoff race. Unlike teams like Minnesota, Sacramento, Seattle or even Portland, who are either injury riddled (Randolph, Shuttlesworth out for the season) or they're just clueless. I remember a guy on another board saying that the Kings are cohesively wise one of the poorest teams in the league, and I agree. Minnesota are a joke.

The hottest team right now, fighting for the playoffs, are the Warriors naturally, but the Clipps are flying under the radar and winning games in the process, making their actions as a playoff team higher day by day. They're showing all round team effort each time, not building their game around one player, which leads me to believe that even if Maggette is out they can compensate for that. On both ends of the floor.

Portland had to deal with some tough absences lately (apart from Randolph they were missing Roy as well, previously lost Miles and Przybilla), but some of the scrubs and youngsters jumped in quite nicely, as they connected 3 straight wins, against Washington, NY and Atlanta.

After that it was all downhill (3 straight losses, @CHI @MIN, vs MEM) and frankly, I don't see a different scenario here. The Clippers are going to step up big tonight once again, as their upcoming schedule can't be described as appetizing for the Clipper fans, some tough games coming up.

Corey Maggette is questionable for tonight, but so is Ime Udoka for the hosts. Cassel's status is unkown as always. Road chalk or no road chalk, I don't think they're dragging this one into one of those down the wire contests.

The line is 4,5 points too low if you ask me. Look at these teams and how they play, then tell me they're surely not reaching high 90s or even century marks tonight.

Blazers:

vs WAS 100-98 W
@ NYK 92-86 W
@ ATL 102-100 W (ROAD BTB)
@ MIN 93-94 L
@ CHI 89-100 L (ROAD BTB)
vs MEM 92-96 L

over (180) is 5-1 in last 6 Blazers games.

Clippers:

Going a bit further into the past with the Clipps analysis: Look at how they played against a defensive powerhouse Houston on BTB, coming off a loss in SA the previous night:

@ HOU 105-109 L
@ CHA 102-93 W
@ NJ 95-101 L
@ CHI 103-89 W
@ MIL 104-103 W (ROAD BTB. fitting tonight's situation: Almost squandered a big lead in that one, but it went well over)
vs UTA 104-72 W
vs WAS 111-105 W
vs HOU 87-92 L
@ SAC 105-101 W

the over (180) is 7-2 in last 9 LAC matches.

So you would say: But these are the depleted Blazers we're talking about, some hard nosed D there by coach McMillan, against a team on road back-to-back. But the line already reflects all that.

Also, as seen in the above rant, the Clippers have shown they can not only compete but score in road b2b situations, and I don't think this one will go under. As IC said in his thread, the Clippers are 6-1 ATS in their last 7 games and 4-0 ATS in the last 4 games with 0 days.

Clippers (-2) (1.97 @ Pinnacle) 6 units
over 180 (1.95 @ Pinnacle) 3 units

no other leans or plays for tonight. Good luck guys. :cheers:

Have to agree. If Udoka is out then I'll be on the Clipps as well. That'll be 65 minutes of forward play for the Blazers that is lost. Webster is a bit to young to be counted on for much on a daily basis. Aldridge will actually be a tough matchup for Brand, but the Clipps got it done last night with Brand only connecting for 12 points. I'm actually liking Hart running the point these days. Don't know how much I really care if Cassell is in there honestly.

All in all I just think the Blazers losing their SF and PF will really hurt them tonight. Magloire and Webster aren't exactly reliable replacements. GL

better? Wouldn't agree. As I said before, that's a classic situation of a team stepping up after losing a player. After a "cushion period" (when the injury doesn't affect them that much), they're due for a letdown period.

Blazers have lost 3 straight, and I don't see them stepping up now. Perhaps I'll be wrong, there's always a chance for that.

GL tonight Inspekdah. :shake:

for some reason.. every tmie blazers are under dogs they win.. i dont no y that is but it is just the case.. if they are favs.. espcially at home they lose... but i like the over for sure gl

I am with Inspekdah. Better in that the team aspect is focused on. Great nite by Zachvs Memphis and it got them a loss. Didnt PORT go 3-0 w/o Zach then lose 3 straight when he came back?? Portland is now 4-0 SU this season when Randolph misses and that includes road wins @ Tor , @ NYK and @ Atlanta...

Not against playing LAC persay it just seems that Portland is more then a contrarian play if you look closely...said basically teh same things in Killa's thread......BOL bro!

Clippers +1 can middle if i want sucka<smart want="" if="" middle="" can="" i="" now="" yesterday="" +1=""><smart want="" i="" if="" middle="" can="" now="" yesterday="" +1=""></smart></smart>

I would never bet on the Blazers here... god no.. but the line like you said seems off... especially with Randolph out.

Thanks SN, I read your post there (Killa's thread) as well, so I know what you mean, but I still think the more focused, motivated team wins tonight.

I don't know if it'll be a DD win but a comfy win is something I see happening.

GL :shake:

They are 4-0, but those wins came against Toronto (without Bosh), Knicks (without Quentin, Lee, and Crawford) Atlanta (without JJ) and Washington (without Butler). The Clipps are missing Maggette tonight which you can argue either way as being significant or not. The Blazers had Udoka either way in all four of those games and you have to find somebody to get those 30 minutes a game.

They are 4-0, but those wins came against Toronto (without Bosh), Knicks (without Quentin, Lee, and Crawford) Atlanta (without JJ) and Washington (without Butler). The Clipps are missing Maggette tonight which you can argue either way as being significant or not. The Blazers had Udoka either way in all four of those games and you have to find somebody to get those 30 minutes a game.

I dont see how the current LAC team would rank much different then any of those. I agree they arent great wins but still 3 wins on the road is tough to do. Wash minus Butler but Arenas and Jamison are a better duo then Brand/ Mobley IMO. Udoka is so inconsistent IMO that I just see Fred Jones getting his minutes/ shots. You have a team like GSW with just 8 road wins..so a road W is huge regardless of the oppositions circumstance. While I like what LAC has done past 7 or so I just see this as a coin flip...playoffs dont mean much do they...look at what happens in the NFL when people play that card....I dont like the logic LAC is playing for the playoffs..just my 2 cents....

JPicks, I see you're from SLC, what do you think is the key to Jazz sub par play in recent weeks, and how do you reckon they'll do in the playoffs?

My boy Giricek playing there. :smiley_acbe:

Btw, Sloan definitely deserves props for staying in the team for so long, great coach no doubts there.

Too bad you guys with Malone-Hornacek-Stockton trio couldn't knock off MJ's Bulls, at least once.

SN, whether you like the logic or not, that's what team's attitude is. Mobley himself said they're on a mission. I wouldn't say they are a great bet automatically, but these Blazers have their woes as well.

I agree with you about Washington remark comparing them with today's LAC, but you also have to take into consideration that the Wizards are in a prolonged slump right now, playing really lousy basketball.
No matter the individual talents these players have (which would favor Washington), current team situations would actually give the edge to the Clippers. The Wizards are sub par at the moment.

As for the Clippers, they're playing their best hoops of the season, stepping up night after night. As I said, it doesn't automatically imply they will do the same tonight, but I definitely like a team playing against Portland tonight.

anyways, as always, there are arguments for both sides actually... we'll see how it unfolds...

SportNut. I tend to disagree that the Clippers aren't better than the Wizards, Hawks, and Knicks. The only reason the Blazers won in Washinton was Arenas being 4 of 16 from the field. I will agree with you that the Blazers may actually be better without Randolph than with him. Still haven't locked in a side, but will probably be on the under. GL whichever way you go.

Satyr: First off I'm a Utah transplant. When I arrived here I HATED the jazz. It was during their 1st run to the finals against Jordan and you couldn't walk 5 feet in this town without being asked about the Jazz. Not being a fan either way I quickly learned to despise them. Once the trio of Malone/Hornaceck/Stockton all left I started to really enjoy the new guys. I've actually worked in the homes of Boozer, AK, and Okur among a couple of other Jazz players. I won't get into what I actually do, but I will say they were all extremely nice to deal with. So that's my history of being a Jazz fan.

As far as the sub-par play from the Jazz, I think it has to do mainly with their youth and not having the killer instinct. They consisently get down in the 1st half vs. lesser teams and no that they can come back and get the job done in the 2nd half. That's worked alot of the time for them, but it's also cost them some easy victories. I really think they're bored at the moment and I'm not sure that they will be able flip the switch back on. Even with a 9 point loss last night to your Spurs they showed me that they are still able to play at a high level when they want. Obviously Vegas agrees with short lines of 7.5 vs the Spurs and 5.5 vs the Rockets. I won't be shocked at all if they beat the Rockets in the 1st round even with everybody writing them off. The loss of Giricek has hurt them more than many people realize. He's played great D since the All Star game and has helped keep opposing D's more honest with his constant threat from the outside. Tomorrow is a huge game for them as it will go a long way towards determing HC in the 1st round with the Rockets. Either way you'll know alot more about how the Jazz will do in the playoffs over the last 10 games of the season. They have a brutal stretch to finish things off.

That's juvenile media BS and athletes who need to better educate themselves . They are playing better clearly but it has nothing to do with the playoffs. The LAC's are not good enough to just flip the switch. They underperformed alot of this season and not at time when they should be underperforming they are suprisingly play above there heads. Thats just how the world works as soon as you doubt someone they rise up. How many had LAC written off for dead here with Hart and Ewing running the point?? They also are playing teams who are in a funk...Milw , Char , Sac,..etc...

Either way its a coin flip whoever wins wont suprise me. Though with Zach OUT I would have expected -2.5 but maybe Maggette's and Cassell limitations keep it lower....

I think the worst reason to get involved are LAC in the playoff hunt cause this game wont change there standing (best case tied with Den for #7) and cause Portland is minus Zach when they are 4-0 w/o him

Thats it I am done...exhausted the topic....Good Luck

The current LAC team IMO is not clearly better then Wash maybe equal. The part your discounting is that ATL , NYK and Tor minus Bosh were on the road this is not. So is LAC on the road better then those 3 teams are on there home court ?? Thats what I was getting at...

I am just throwing out comments....GL

That's juvenile media BS and athletes who need to better educate themselves . They are playing better clearly but it has nothing to do with the playoffs. The LAC's are not good enough to just flip the switch. They underperformed alot of this season and not at time when they should be underperforming they are suprisingly play above there heads.

Interesting take Nut. I respect your basketball knowledge a ton, I'm really surprised you believe this though because I believe the opposite. What have we heard all season about the Clipps- They showed no fire, no intensity, no heart, no desire, no hunger. The talent was always there. Now they obviously said to themselves, "Oh fuck, we need to actually turn it on a bit, or else we're not even making the damn playoffs." And turn it on they have. This league is about DESIRE. These guys are multi-millionaires. Look at teams like the Kings. With that talent, that team is 11 games under .500? Comeon. They don't care. Clipps didn't care all year, and now they are leaving it all out on the court. Motivation is the key to this league, but I guess we can agree to disagree on that.

Thats kool Killa. We just disagree. Talent is nice but it doesnt mean that much when we get down to wins and losses. Both LAC and SAC have had there issues and flaws as teams. Its not a motivational flaw just like its nots a motivational thing in Minny or Indy. These guys just arent good. I dont see Sac as having much talent. They have no rebounding and I mean zero . So if talent means scorers then maybe. They have a rising star in Kevin Martin but the rest Artest , Miller and Bibby have dealt with assorted injuries that have led to inconsistency. Its why I dont like talking indivual matchups they are all hype. The Kings cant defend yet have the best defender in the league on there team. How funny is that. Brad Miller is battling plantar facitis. I have dealt with that nuisance for a good 9 months now it is painful as fuck and I imagine being nearly 7 foot makes it worse( more weight to deal with). So the Kings have names as did LAC but they werent playing well and frankly I dont see much more then a 500 team from LAC. I think Mobley is just engaging is player talk....as in this is the situation whats your condition response as an athlete...

I could be wrong my point is this is a coin flip. IF LAC is serious about making the playoffs I understand why they cant lose this game but that doesnt really make me believe they have a better chance of winning it. I do agree LAC is playing well and I have been on them quite often during this stretch but for me I just dont see clear value in them....maybe I am crazy.....its just discussional purposes no harm in opposing opinions...

Good Luck.....

I had them before anyone...+1.5....then Zach got announced OUT and I thought PORT would step up again w/o him...read my post....

put this into my overthought section....

nevermind SN, you cashed in with the Hornets, good job there :). But yeh, you are sometimes keen on overthinking it, you know you capped it correctly initially...

that's why I rarely change sides, not for anything else but frustration afterwards.

That's why I was bummed last night when I decided not to take Miami.

If you only knew how I came up with LAC 1st H to be followed by Port 2nd H....(and dint follow through at half)

I can deal when it doesnt cost me any money....it could be like th NCAA Final Four where I had the half plays 7 for 8.....and was to chicken to play it that way....

Back