Saturday, September 1st Plays and Analysis Thread

B.A.R.

CTG Partner
Staff member
Well gentlemen, its time for another season of college football. Nothing really beats the anticipation we go through each spring/summer awaiting the return of our sport. Its been a great summer so far of capping here at CTG. I want to thank everyone who has been involved in the forum in the dog days. The list is too long but guys like lindetrain, garfather, vegaskyle, yessir, jump, hunt, etg, dmoney, signalcaller, RJ....the list goes on. Great job. Preperation is what will make us winners by season end. I cannot stress that enough. There is still lots of work to do but fortunately we have the time and talent to get it done.

About myself, I basically play straight plays. I do not do dips/teasers and the only parlays I will look at are very small ML paralys early in the year. I usually just tail Hunt on those and don't even post them. I am not a huge fan of totals but will do present some here and there. The landscape has changed again this season with the clock rules back like 2005. We will have to readjust our capping again but it is for the best. My strengths are my big plays. In the regular season last year I did not lose a single big play of 5 units. I am pretty proud of that fact and intend to keep on it again this year. My goal this year is to eliminate the needless plays. Its tough with big boards but I think I have a pretty good gameplan for this fall. Plays will range from 1-5 units in college football. I will also readjust how much each unit is worth after each 4 weeks that way the units are not on a sliding scale. I don't recommend my style of betting for everyone. It works for me. Flat betting works for others. Thats life. Thats about it..lets go win some money.

(Please note that I will update this thread up to opening day with any additional plays. I have several on my radar but at same time have some prep still to do)

UAB @ Michigan State

First, let me preface this by saying I genrally do not like to touch a game with a first year coach in a new system. There are a few reasons why though I have branched out on this game.

Lets look at MSU first. This has been generally an underachieveing program for most of my adult life. The coaching carousel from Peles to Saban to Bobby to John L. hasn't led to enough stability. I think the Spartan brass feels they finally have their man to lead them for an extended period. I have a lot of respect for Coach Dantoni and think he wil be just the guy to get the job done. Last year MSU collapsed against ND and basically gave up afterwards. A hurt Stanton and general chaos summed up the rest of the season. They had all the talent to be a top offensive team but really underachieved. What I like this year is the offense is going to play to its strengths. This system of Dantoni's is a perfect fit for the personal at MSU. First of all Hoyer got experience last year and IMo performed pretty solid against a great defense in Happy Valley. He had to chuck the ball up a lot but made some plays. He has a big, strong arm and in this offense I think he will succeed. The strength of the Spartan club though is the backfield. I honstly think that by years end you will talk about MSU as one of the best rush offenses in the country. Javon Ringer i healthy and he is an absolute stud. Counterpart Caulcrick(me and Hunt call him 'Crick') is a beast as well and they are gonna be a great duo. A.J. Jimmerson is good in as well and will be a factor. This Spartan team is going to pound it down opponents throats all year. The receiving corps may be less talented and younger but last years group was such underachievers I xpect better production this season. The defense was nothing special last year but at the same time got ZERO help from the offense. Bad field position and bad T.O.P. killed them in the last few years. Six of the top seven return and I think they will improve greatly in overall. They won't be a great defense but will be adequete.

UAB-ummm..they suck pretty bad. This could be one of the worst ballclubs in America. Eight starters return to a 3-9 club from last year. They scored under 19 ppg last year. The defense was okay lst year but with all the losses should take a step-back as well. On defense that front 7 lost so much. This doesn't bode well against a strong MSU running attack.

I know thre are concerns about MSU because of past non-conference games and new coach/qb/system. Those questions are warranted. I had this line valued at 21. I was suprised at the opener(17) and what I was able to get. Remember how MSU just pounded Pitt on the ground last year. I see something similar. I know many are leery of the game being shortened with Dantoni's conservative style but we also have old clock rules back. I think MSU will be extremely efficeint and excited with a new era of Spartan football. MSU controls the trenches, the clock and the game and should rout the Blazers. lets say something like 31-7 Sparty!

Michigan State -16.5 -110 1 unit

BTW...I set goals each year and will state them here. Last year I had a goal of 25 units won. I ended up at 43.23 units. My percentage was 56.25(117-91-5). This year my goal is upped 35 units. I would like to increase my percentage to 59%. Thats not a big deal because I don;t flat bet but just a goal. I think it can be done. I went undefeated on big plays in regular season last year and if I can leave out the dumb add-ons it should be a great season

Thank you for the write up, sir.

Glad you see the risk (but then again isn't it always there) but had the line evaluated like me. I had it at -23. Now that the line is so high, it's pretty much a 3 TD spread.

Thanks for the info.

Thank you for the write up, sir.

Glad you see the risk (but then again isn't it always there) but had the line evaluated like me. I had it at -23. Now that the line is so high, it's pretty much a 3 TD spread.

Thanks for the info.

No problem. Like I said in the other thread. I had to hit this at that number then lok into it further and hedge if I had too. I have really grown on the play even more though since then.

These are the other match-ups I am looking at still for Week One. If it is not listed I have eliminated it for consideration as of now. I won't play many of these and plan on a pretty light week one but in case you have a little tidbit to add to these.

Marshall @ Miami(FL)
Virginia @ Wyoming
Nevada @ Nebraska
Ga tech @ Notre Dame
Arizona @ BYU
CMU @ Kansas
Tenny @ California
New Mexico @ UTEP
SJSU @ Arizona State
Idaho @ Southern California
Arky St @ Texas
ULL @ S. Carolina
Troy @ Arkansas

lol

solid write up, bro. and u got a helluva early line. if it comes back down for some reason, i'll tail/join ya. but yeah...the coming season isn't a promising one for UAB.

Just was reviewing my notes and it looks like D'Antonio will be moving to a more run oriented offense which may not favor large spreads like this. He's brought back the FB in favor of an extra wideout.

Any thoughts about this?

Yes Sir. I sure did. I appreciate it and it basically confirms my thoughts totally.

RJ...thats exactly why I like them in this game. First we have the old clock rules back. That helps bigger spreads. Second I expect MSU to dominate T.O.P. in this match and run all over UAB. Sparty's stable of RB's is the most underrrated in the country IMO. I expect a rushing performance much like the game at Pitt last year.

Posting these plays now. Write-uops to follow in next 24 Hours

Like to try and post the plays as soon as I have plyed them so their are no inaccuracies. I will provide analysis later in this window

Troy +24 -110 1 unit

Nebraska -20 -110 2 units

Love the troy pick and the more time has passed the more i have liked the nebraska side of that game as well, though i wont be playing it. i think you have a pretty good card so far. best of luck !

Yanks and PRECISE...thank you..

Got a good 4-5 hours to get some more stuff done tonight and may add 1-2 more here and will finish previous analysis.

Like TTech and Troy, BAR.

Also will look at Nebraska too but I think that is the right side. They still have a tune up game before USC, so maybe they don't completely turn it on, but they should cover 3 TDs.

Good to see you on Nebraska. That's one of mine for Week 1 and I've been wondering about it as time goes by--and by and by. (Will the season ever start?). Like the way Neb ended the season, and they showed me something in the bowl against Auburn after a poor start. I think Nevada's new QB in all that screaming sea of red will be in for a long day.

New Mexico @ Utep

First lets analyze the pointpread on this game. It opened as a PK but got hammered to 3.5 pretty quickly. I talked with a few power ranking people tonight and they basically had this around a 3-4. Steeles numbers would indicate that as well. Now, in liking new Mexico some may say the value is lost. That is true but unfortunately I don;t live in vegas and don;t have access to the early lines. It got bet to what the line should be. Now, myself think this is a playable line still...

I think this may be the year New Mexico plays up to full potential. They return 18 starters including 10 on defense. Not too say their defense was world-beaters but experience helps a lot. If they can shore up the backfield they will be much improved. Sophomore QB Porterie should be at the helms and be much improved. He will be helped out by RB Ferguson. He had a combined 1500 yards last year and was awesome in the last 3 games of the year. Expect a huge year from him. Better O-Line play and better pass defense and this could be a great year.

UTEP lost a shitload of players. The defense was horrid last year and they are totally rebuilding this year. Three of the four top WR's are gone and so is Shady Palmer. Their o-line is horrid and thats not going to help Thomas or the new QB. I see a lot of publications calling for a bowl season but I cannot see that happeneing in all honesty. It will be close but I doubt it happens.

Even on the road I expect a victory for the Lobos. The offense should have a field day against the Miners. The two weaknesses I mentioned really cannot be exploited by Utep all that much. I expect a double digit victory here. Lets say 33-17.

New Mexico -3 -110 2 units

ps. I finally got a flat three tonight as it came off the hook. Been waiting on that. Thats courtesy of bookmaker.

First of all....Best of Luck this season BAR!
Really agree with your thoughts on UAB this season.
Wish I was on the line you got but still see lots of potential with the current line.
I'm already on the OVER in the Mizzou game and the NM play as well.

Here's to some 2007 CFB Profit :cheers:

Hey KALIND...good to see back around.

Pags..thank you very much. Waiting on some first halves and a total. Maybe another side.

Just some information

Michigan TE Carson Butler was re-instated today. He was exonerated of his legal charges and Carr let him back on team today. Thats a nice boost.

Here's some shit for your Clemson-FSU play. Little known secret: Clemson will try to run. Alot.

Clemson finishes preseason camp

Tigers work on running game in two-hour scrimmage

Posted: Tuesday August 21, 2007 6:01PM; Updated: Tuesday August 21, 2007 6:01PM

CLEMSON, S.C. (AP) -- James Davis rushed for 30 yards and C.J. Spiller added 21 as Clemson worked on its running game at a two-hour scrimmage Tuesday that ended preseason camp.
Clemson used five runners and gained a total of 151 yards on 28 carries. Spiller, Sadat Chambers and Paul Macko each rushed for a touchdown at Death Valley.
"We wanted to work on the running game, especially with the first team," Clemson coach Tommy Bowden said.
The Tigers will take off Wednesday, when classes begin. They'll return to the practice field Thursday.
Clemson starts the season on Labor Day against Florida State.
Bowden said he saw improvement in the running game between last Saturday's scrimmage and this one. "There was some good running north and south," Bowden said. "You can't outrun Florida State running east and west."
Freshman Willy Korn completed 9 of 16 for 134 yards, including a 56-yard TD pass to LaDonte Harris.
Starter Cullen Harper was 4 of 12 for 41 yards.
Linebacker Nick Watkins had two pass deflections along with five tackles. Defensive backs Chris Russell and Coty Sensabaugh led the defense with six tackles each.
Kicker Mark Buchholz had a 56-yard field goal before the scrimmage, then a 47-yarder during the scrimmage.

-----------------

Also, please change your avatar. It reminds me of the MCP from Tron.

20040206-mcp.jpg

Alright, all totals up at Bookmaker now and my favorite Hova is now locked in.

Western Michigan/WVU Over 53 -110 5 units

I told myself that I would play this as a limit play if it was at 53 and it is. Awesome. I will write-up this in a few hours. Working on some football contests for the site right now.

Hunt said 3-4 weeks ago he could see a 53. I have this valued in the low 60's to be honest. I usually don't go big on totals but love this one.

Jumped on that 53 too. I have to agree with you. I see a game in the high 50s to low 60s.

Also, Bookmaker is coming out with 1H lines now. Thursday is up.

Back