• PICK CLUB WEEK #1 LINES ARE POSTED!

Saban retiring...

I'd be shocked but let me throw out the name Brian Daboll as a longshot.
that is a great pick as a longshot and may have better odds than we think.

incredible relationship with Jalen and Tua from 2017 when The Tide beat GA to win the Natty.

that is a great pick if you need to take someone flying under the radar.

Sounds like DeBoer is working on his deal with UW.

Next up, Norvell.
lots of guys will use this as leverage to get a better deal at their own school.

pitino and calipari were masters at this.

they kept getting linked to other schools including UCLA and then magically they would get better deals through their current schools.

i am sure Lanning did it and now DeBoer doing it.

again, as i said earlier in this thread, outside of gargantuan money at Bama, i do not see the upside in following a living legend who is leaving at the top of his game and spoiled the hell out of the fanbase.

the $$$ are not high enough above where these guys currently are and what Sexton can get for them.

i expect a fairly *yawn* hire like ELKO was at A&M.

Next up, Norvell.
And now looks like Norvell is doing the same, who got next?

Guessing Bama moves hard on something fast, they don't want this to end up looking like a fifth option type thing which it doesn't at this point but can get to be that way really quickly.

Byrne said from the beginning that if it doesn’t come from him, it’s not true. Everything that has been out there is 100% conjecture. Byrne is notoriously tight lipped. When he hired Nate Oats, nobody knew it was coming. It may be one of the names people have been discussing, but that is pure happenstance. I have no clue, but Byrne was very confident sounding when he said it would be done in 72 hours. So this time tomorrow, I think we may know

Byrne said from the beginning that if it doesn’t come from him, it’s not true. Everything that has been out there is 100% conjecture. Byrne is notoriously tight lipped. When he hired Nate Oats, nobody knew it was coming. It may be one of the names people have been discussing, but that is pure happenstance. I have no clue, but Byrne was very confident sounding when he said it would be done in 72 hours. So this time tomorrow, I think we may know

Based on that 72 hour timeline , which is wild btw, you'd think they have a person in mind along with a backup person and just need to work out contract details.

Next up, Norvell.
either this was wrong or the current reports coming from everywhere in the Internet-Verse are wrong, that Kalen is finalizing a deal to become Bama's next coach.

the latter seems to have tons of smoke so perhaps there is a fire.

we know how it is these days, though - every "Harry, Tom's, Dick" wants to be an amateur report and break things they have absolutely zero connections or sources to.

Not talking about you Franko, just in general out there in the world today.

From Bleacher Report:

Report: Washington's Kalen Deboer, Alabama Agree to HC Contract After Nick Saban Exit​

SCOTT POLACEKX.com LogoJANUARY 12, 2024

HOUSTON, TEXAS - JANUARY 08: Head coach Kalen DeBoer of the Washington Huskies looks on prior to the 2024 CFP National Championship game against the Michigan Wolverines at NRG Stadium on January 08, 2024 in Houston, Texas. (Photo by Stacy Revere/Getty Images)

Stacy Revere/Getty Images
It's never easy to follow in the footsteps of a legend, but that is exactly what Kalen DeBoer is reportedly going to do.
According to ESPN's Pete Thamel, DeBoer has told Washington officials that he is taking the Alabama job. That comes after ESPN's Mark Schlabach and Chris Low reported DeBoer and Alabama were in contract negotiations.
According to Yahoo Sports' Ross Dellenger, Alabama will owe Washington approximately $12 million to buy out DeBoer's deal:

Dellenger previously noted Washington recently had an offer on the table of seven years and more than $9 million per season to keep DeBoer.
Ross Dellenger@RossDellenger
Washington officials spent more than two months in discussions with representatives for DeBoer on a new contract.<br><br>The last offer stood at $9+ million a year for 7 years, sources tell <a href="https://twitter.com/YahooSports?ref_src=twsrc^tfw">@YahooSports</a>. DeBoer's decision - whenever he makes it final - will be about more than money.
The Crimson Tide job was vacant because Nick Saban retired on Jan. 10 after 17 incredible years leading the program. His tenure included six national championships, four Heisman Trophy winners and some of the most consistent success in the history of the sport.

Alabama final play
Saban wasn't only the face of Alabama, he was the face of college football as a whole.
His teams won three BCS titles and continued to dominate in the College Football Playoff era with three more championships to go along with three other appearances in the national title game.
In all, Saban went 206-29 at Alabama and finished all of his seasons with double-digit wins except for his first one.
Report: Washington's Kalen Deboer, Alabama Agree to HC Contract After Nick Saban Exit

✨ Watch more top videos, highlights, and B/R original content
Now DeBoer takes over a program with championship-or-bust expectations every season. That is plenty of pressure even before the realization he will surely be compared to Saban throughout his time with the Crimson Tide regardless of how much success he finds.
And this is a new era of college football with various challenges such as name, image and likeness deals and the transfer portal to contend with while attempting to maintain a dynasty. The 2024 campaign will also be the start of the 12-team playoff, which is both a blessing and a curse for coaches at the top programs in the country.
On the one hand, it is easier than ever to reach the playoff. However, it is also more difficult to navigate one's way to a national championship with additional rounds and daunting opponents to get through on the sport's biggest stage.

The expectations aren't going to change for DeBoer, either.
After all, Alabama is coming off a season that saw it win the SEC title by handing Georgia its first loss since the 2021 campaign. The Crimson Tide reached the CFP and have no shortage of talent after Saban brought in the No. 2 recruiting class in 2024, No. 1 class in 2023 and No. 2 class in 2022, per 247Sports' composite rankings.
It will now be up to DeBoer to parlay all that talent into the next championship-winning Alabama team.
The task is loaded with pressure, but he led Washington to the CFP national title game in just his second season after taking over the program. The Huskies were 4-8 in 2021 before DeBoer arrived and immediately improved to 11-2 in his first season and one win away from a championship in his second.
However, his only other previous head coaching experience was at Fresno State.
Coaching in the SEC is a different job entirely, and he will be facing far more pressure at Alabama than he did in either of his previous two stops. He proved he can take an underperforming team and elevate it to new heights when he was with the Huskies, but now he will need to take the sport's premiere program and maintain its status.

B/R Recommends

• X.com Logo

SPORTS NEWS ➡️
YOUR INBOX
The latest in the sports world, emailed daily.
By entering your email address, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. Bleacher Report and its Affiliates may also use your email address to send updates, ads, and offers. Learn more or opt out here.

Join Newsletter

Copyright © 2024 Bleacher Report, Inc. A Warner Bros. Discovery Company. All Rights Reserved.

For most of my life, we said that UGA had the arrogance of Alabama and the history of South Carolina. Then they hired Kirby….
Sounds about right. Kirby should be at the top of the list of people thankful his Daddy retired. 2 Nattys but only 1 win over Saban.

Great hire imo. That's gonna be a nasty offense with that talent.
I like the coach, and i respect the hell outta the program he is signing with - but i do not like the fit.

I do not believe it will work out well from a cultural perspective.

As a Sooner fan coming to the fierce SEC, I am glad to see Nick leave. As a CFB fan, I am sad.

8 mos til kickoff.............

I like the coach, and i respect the hell outta the program he is signing with - but i do not like the fit.

As a Sooner fan coming to the fierce SEC, I am glad to see Nick leave. As a CFB fan, I am sad.

No idea if it will work out or not, but I like the bama balls of going after one of the best available. I mean this guy was just coaching for the national championship not even 4 days ago.

Isn't it one person, specifically the one who just retired?
I don’t think Saban will ever forgive him for how he handled the playoffs in 2016, but no, it’s a very prominent booster and his friends that will forever block Kiffin from coming to Tuscaloosa

What's the backstory on this? I don't remember.
He took the FAU job leading into the playoffs that year. Saban did not think he handled the transition well, especially compared to Kirby the year before. And then Sark showed up to walk throughs the morning of the natty drunk, and Saban blamed it on Kiffin forcing him to fire him.

No idea if it will work out or not, but I like the bama balls of going after one of the best available. I mean this guy was just coaching for the national championship not even 4 days ago.
It's not like he inherited a great Washington team from the immortal, Jimmy Lake.

Frankly think the cultural thing is way overrated, he isn’t moving to China

A strong football coach can be successful anywhere ( see Harbaugh)

TBH , Deboer background kinda reminds me of Harbaugh

I’ve seen numerous coaches who say y’all fail in the SEC

Frankly think the cultural thing is way overrated, he isn’t moving to China

A strong football coach can be successful anywhere ( see Harbaugh)

TBH , Deboer background kinda reminds me of Harbaugh

I’ve seen numerous coaches who say y’all fail in the SEC
Did you just see Brian Harsin? Joe Moorhead?

Did you just see Brian Harsin? Joe Moorhead?

So, is this where I start listing out Southern guys who failed in the SEC ?

Before I get beat up…

I lived in the South for 20 years , I understand what college football means down there.

Doesn’t it tell you something that Bama didn’t really care about the so called “cultural “ thing with this hire .

That tells me it’s not that important , or at least not a deal breaker

The Alabama job is the most pressure packed job in college football and probably more so than any NFL job. Add that to following Saban and it makes sense to just stay where you are and get a raise like Norvell did.

Maybe he just needs a fake Cajun accent like Brian Kelly? It's tough following a legend, kudos to KD for being willing to give it a shot.

Fair enough but its a pretty thankless job unless you are in the hunt to win a national championship every year. At Washington you can compete at a high level but when you have a season where you lose 3 games there won't be pitchforks outside of your home.
Flip side of that is his value will likely never be higher with the move to the big 10

Back