Rod's WNBA Sunday

rod_steel

Have an adequate day
Reg Season (1-1-0) +1.05 units

All plays in the WNBA this season will be between 1-10 units

Took the split yesterday with the Shock and Stars. I'm going to be bullish about the Stars, the first half was atrocious but they showed what they are capable of in the second half so I'm liking my chances to get some inflated lines on them in the next couple of weeks.

Today's card looks like an interesting one, I do like a couple:

u144.5 Liberty v Sky (6)

This total has clearly been set based on totals achieved when both teams played each other last season (3 of the 4 totals went over this mark) however given the number of changes in both rosters over the offseason, that statistic is completely irrelevant IMO.

I have this total pegged in the 130's so believe it is inflated by at least 10 points. This game should be an absolute shitfest between the two teams that in all liklihood will be at the bottom of the table in the East this season. Both teams had horror season last season prompting both organisations to do a complete makeover during the offseason.

The Sky replaced their head coach and have built effectively a new team around Dupree, bringing in Currie from the Sting to help Dupree in the front court and Canty into the backcourt to provide the youn team with a veteran presence, however she is coming off an injury shortened season last season with the Comets only having played 15 games. The Sky finished last in all the key offensive stats last season, PPG, FG %, 3 pt % and FT %. It is therefore going to take some time for Overton to get his plays transitioned into the new system.

The Liberty have lost their experience in Hammon and Schumacher over the season but have bolstered their ranks in the frontcourt by getting two promising rookies in #2 pick Davenport & #5 pick Jackson. This team however will be a decent perimter threat with Thorn, Kraayeveld & Christon. However again, it will take some time for the team chemistry to develop.

Bottom line - both teams are fielding very inexperienced teams with both rosters undergoing significant changes in the offseason. Consequently don't expect both offenses to gel in the early part of the season.

Monarchs -3 v Lynx (3.5)

Not much more to add here on top of what Mr Cowboy has noted in his thread. Although the Monarchs went down in the opening night against the Shock, I don't believe they played that badly, especially if you factor in Griffith's horrendous performance. They now play a team they have not lost to since July 2004 having swept them last season. One advantage that the Monarchs have over most of the teams this season is that apart from their head coach their roster is pretty much the same one since 2005. Same can not be said about the Lynx as they not only do they have a new head coach but have 4 rookies this season, this showed yesterday when they were hammered by the Fever. No question Augustus and Harding will make this competitive for periods of the game but expect the Monarchs experience to handle them at the end.

It is also worth noting that Augustus is questionable for today after copping a hard foul towards the end of the game yesterday in Indiana. She is the Lynx's main offensive threat so if she is not at 100%, the Lynx are in for a long night.

I think this game will have lot of points in it, but not knowing what Augustus' status is a the moment is enough for me to pass. I may add the over when I find out for sure.

:shake:

Hi Rod,

I am extremely ignorant concerning this, forgive me, but I have a question.

It seems that the totals on day one were all quite high, 143 was the lowest number out of 5 games yesterday. Were there some change of rule before this season which has created an over bias?

Hi Rod,

I am extremely ignorant concerning this, forgive me, but I have a question.

It seems that the totals on day one were all quite high, 143 was the lowest number out of 5 games yesterday. Were there some change of rule before this season which has created an over bias?

The only rule change that I can think of that changed over the offseason in the WNBA that may have had such an effect was that the backcourt only has 8 seconds to cross the halfway line instead of 10 seconds when bringing the ball up the court.

Therefore naturally the team with the ball must be slightly quicker in setting their offensive plays than in previous seasons. However the shotclock still remains the same.

I thought about taking the Monarchs today as well, but with Boucek being new for them and watching Harding coming out strong with double digit points yesterday for the Lynx, I decided to stay away til' they show a little more... I think Harding has a good shot at rookie of the year... she will get alot of playing time..

good luck with your plays today rod.

Ended the night right with a win but losing day overall. I probably need to look at the Liberty team a bit more, kicking myself knowing how good they are going to be behind the arc as well this season.

I'll be back in a couple of days when beaver ball resumes after the day off tomorrow.

Back