Retro VK North Carolina Golf Trip: A Capping Contest

Time zone
Bermuda grass
Booze
Donald Ross greens on 3 (short distance doesn’t always mean easier)
Fatigue

I’m thinking day 3 could be a Bataan death march

You fly into the local airport in Southern Pines with the cool BBQ shack or RDU? Good luck and enjoy the golf and heat!

If we are putting everything out and counting every stroke these scores could soar high in Moore County!

What kind of golfers are your employer/ co-workers? Have you played any rounds with these guys previously? Is it possible they do not allow you to finish some holes?

Day 1 = 116 (5 double bogies) - new clubs, tough course, water holes, working out the kinks, some big numbers here
Day 2 = 96 (8 double bogies) - looks like a shocker but #3 is almost a pitch and putt course, late tee time provides extra rest, some confidence will be gained
Day 3 = 111 (9 double bogies) - hangover round, start OK, gradually tire, course is in-between in difficulty, some forced carries but little water for blowup holes, although there are some pot bunkers down the stretch where it might take a search party to get out
Aggregate = 323 (22 double bogies)

If we are putting everything out and counting every stroke these scores could soar high in Moore County!

What kind of golfers are your employer/ co-workers? Have you played any rounds with these guys previously? Is it possible they do not allow you to finish some holes?
Two of the people are probably around 10 handicaps, then a drop off to bogey golfers, then a drop off to me and one other guy

I pretty much look the same ten years later .... put on a few pounds of what can only be described as pure muscle. Beeeeeeeefcccccccaaaaaakkkkkeeee

Last edited:
Alright fellas,

54 members have viewed, I would expect at least half can write numbers in triple-digits 3 times ;)

Day 1 = 118 (4 double bogies)
Day 2 = 126 (6 double bogies)
Day 3 = 135 (12 double bogies)
Aggregate = 379(20 double bogies)

Alright,

I said I was going to post my own predictions but will not be playing for the prize. I am also going to give a write-up...

Day 1:

I am going on the assumption these guys should be playing the Whites from how Kyle described the group. If they play the Blues, then it is going to be a long day. The whites provide a solid test imo, but are playable. I think VK comes out a bit nervous and also takes 6-7 holes to get the 'feel' back in his game. He turns it up on the back 9 a bit and has an okay first day...

58-47 = 105 w/ 6 doubles

Day 2:

Pinehurst #3 will require smart decisions and accurate shot making. The later starting time is good as I think these boys will have several 'pops' on Friday night along with a nice meal (steaks, cheese ya know) so they will be happy to not be starting out too early. I think VK finds an early groove and is confident after the good back 9 on Friday. The 2nd nine, he loses some steam in the heat and blows up a little bit. Overall, though, you are playing at Pinehurst, so who cares about the score?

46-60 = 106 w/ 5 doubles

Day 3:

This is where things get ugly. Why do they get ugly?

-Lets thing about VK's travel schedule a bit. He has been on the road away from home for 7 days almost at this point. He caught the sniffles 'somewhere'. He almost got booted out of a restaurant for showing up in a very 'inappropriate' shirt. This is now Day 3 of not feeling great, drinking more than usual and pounding out 18 holes in the heat of the Carolinas. He has simply lost all steam at this point. He is like the underdog in a CFB game that is a 4 TD underdog, goes to halftime tied and loses by 31.

55-62 = 117 w/7 doubles

Aggregate: 341 w/ 18 doubles

Overall, I and I am sure many others are quite 'jelly' about a fun little golf weekend like this. It is pretty cool that his work is doing this for the guys. No one respects their boss more than VK, and I know he appreciates this. So, enjoy the weekend and play well!

I'll add any pictures/updates he sends to me when I can.

Good luck to all in the contest.

Hole 1 par 4
Fairway in Regulation: 1
Greens in Regulation: 0
Putts :3
Score: 9
Nice and easy. Let’s focus on what we can do and not what we can’t. No need for pin seeking today. Let’s just get it on the fat part of the green.

Back