Retro VK North Carolina Golf Trip: A Capping Contest

Yup, don't take it too seriously. I had my favorite round of the year today with two buddies that just like to get out and enjoy it. Plus they killed a bottle of vodka along the way. Helped me win a few bucks :)

For example, and this is just me, I work at places that are (for the most part) walking ONLY, the guests that we get are from all over the world and (most) are members at private clubs. There are certain expectations that come with that. Those guests “know the deal” and they act accordingly. For the last 3 days I was with guys that had membership bagtags to places that cost 600k+ as an initiation fee.

The bottom line is don’t hold up the rest of the course. That’s really it.

Also, play it where it lies, the rest of the rules are really just commentary. (Michael Bamberger paraphrase)

P.s. read the book “Men in Green” by Michael bamberger it’s easy and very enjoyable

I’d rather play with a guy that thinks he’s an 8 and shoots 124 than a guy who plays to a 17 and shoots a 74 gross.

Not in a partner event. That's what just happened to me in a $1,000 per man entry fee tournament where you are randomly paired with a partner based on handicaps. It is a really cool little private event that my friends and I have put on for years and it has grown into a big deal ($50,000 cash in a duffel bag to the winning two man team-and you get to keep the duffel bag)...and I got partnered with one of those assholes who shoots 100 as an 8. And I could tell it wasn't just a bad day.

Not in a partner event. That's what just happened to me in a $1,000 per man entry fee tournament where you are randomly paired with a partner based on handicaps. It is a really cool little private event that my friends and I have put on for years and it has grown into a big deal ($50,000 cash in a duffel bag to the winning two man team-and you get to keep the duffel bag)...and I got partnered with one of those assholes who shoots 100 as an 8. And I could tell it wasn't just a bad day.
I hope you had some choice words for him. And why the fuck would you sign up for a partner event at that price and not be able to pick your partner?

I hope you had some choice words for him. And why the fuck would you sign up for a partner event at that price and not be able to pick your partner?

I asked him after the event how he was an 8 handicap? His friend standing next to him said he had never seen him break 90. He said that is what he thinks his game is at when he is playing his best, so posts his best scores and knocks off strokes for easy missed putts and too many out of bounds, etc so his handicap doesnt get too high. I thanked him for telling me and his honesty...and then told him he would not be invited back.

We started it that way when it was really small to keep it evenly matched and have just kept it cause it has been fun. We discuss amongst the founders (16 of us guys) every year and like that we get to meet new people and play with different people every year. Even some of our regular attendees have said they like the randomness. We all have Member-Guests and Member-Members to play if we want to play with the same dude every year. This is different. And me this year is the first time anybody has gotten screwed like that. The guy who 'sponsored' him was very apologetic. I don't care about losing the money but as you all well know that is not fun to play with. I was shit faced by #14.

I have been running this thing for 20 years. Started as 16 guys at $100 a piece, one day of multi-round golfing at cheap local courses in KC. Now we have to cap it at 72 people, its $1000 a piece, and we play at different elite courses in the Midwest. But it really is just an excuse to get a bunch of guys that love golf and wasting money together.

I asked him after the event how he was an 8 handicap? His friend standing next to him said he had never seen him break 90. He said that is what he thinks his game is at when he is playing his best, so posts his best scores and knocks off strokes for easy missed putts and too many out of bounds, etc so his handicap doesnt get too high. I thanked him for telling me and his honesty...and then told him he would not be invited back.

We started it that way when it was really small to keep it evenly matched and have just kept it cause it has been fun. We discuss amongst the founders (16 of us guys) every year and like that we get to meet new people and play with different people every year. Even some of our regular attendees have said they like the randomness. We all have Member-Guests and Member-Members to play if we want to play with the same dude every year. This is different. And me this year is the first time anybody has gotten screwed like that. The guy who 'sponsored' him was very apologetic. I don't care about losing the money but as you all well know that is not fun to play with. I was shit faced by #14.

I have been running this thing for 20 years. Started as 16 guys at $100 a piece, one day of multi-round golfing at cheap local courses in KC. Now we have to cap it at 72 people, its $1000 a piece, and we play at different elite courses in the Midwest. But it really is just an excuse to get a bunch of guys that love golf and wasting money together.
Sounds awesome. That guy is an asshole. Some places a stunt like he pulled would result in physical altercations. Place I grew up looping had a Calcutta game as part of the annual member-guest. They had to cap it because it was getting out of control and guys were getting into arguments and handling things outside the club. Not to mention there were always a few sandbaggers and that’s just another story altogether.

Sounds awesome. That guy is an asshole. Some places a stunt like he pulled would result in physical altercations. Place I grew up looping had a Calcutta game as part of the annual member-guest. They had to cap it because it was getting out of control and guys were getting into arguments and handling things outside the club. Not to mention there were always a few sandbaggers and that’s just another story altogether.
Its a great game and we have never had a problem before, especially one that gets physical. So as far as problems go this one was pretty benign but still the first time someone was told they will not get to come back.

Us "founders" have known each other since elementary school for the most part, and between us we know most of the other 56 people well enough to know if someone was sandbagging or lying, or going to be a problem. Every year there is 8-10 guys who are new or guests of regular non-founder players who wanted to bring another guy in, etc. Most people know that if there is any issues with them or their guest that they and their guest will not be invited back to what is a very fun and with the side betting what could be a very profitable event.

Feeling the VK pain. First hole of league.... hit a great iron...but went into a bunker somehow... Bladed it out... into marsh...took an 8

My putting needs a serious tune up. I’m all fucked up. Alignment, deceleration when I’m approaching the ball, speed. This is a serious emergency.

The greens just got the verticut treatment so that was part of it but overall I need to put some work in.

I think I’m going AP2 over the M6 after the season.

Back