Ray Rice from Rutgers is going pro

Joe Public

Gabibbo's Finest
Announced this AM.

I don't have enough Rutgers info to know if this is smart or not, meaning, if his entire offensive line is graduating, I get it. He had a chance at some all time records if I'm not mistaken, though, so I'm somewhat surprised he didn't take out a giant insurance policy and come back.

2nd to 3rd round pick I believe. Most likely high to mid 2nd

He lacks some of the size and speed that the nfl looks for ... but he just gets it done and is a great leader type for any locker room.

i believe that rutgers started 3 seniors on the offensive line and that the really good blocking tightend was also a senior, for what its worth, joe.

That then makes sense, Vegas. As well as how much Schiano him.

Between losing these guys this year, losing Leonard last year, and the bowl performance this year, I get it.

I think this guy could actually be a good pro if he's used right. That's the key on all these small guys, be they someone like Warrick Dunn, Marshall Faulk, or Brian Westbrook.

Use them right and they can really be an asset.

he isn't like westbrook or dunn though

they are quick guys, ray isn't the quickest and is more of a bruiser between the tackles

Well, I don't think anybody's like Westbrook, except Faulk.

But you don't see him a little like Dunn, ETG? I never really considered Dunn a burner. And MoJo Drew isn't very big, height-wise, you don't think Rice has pro potential?

no no i think he will do ok in the pros i just don't see him being that same type of back as westbrook or dunn.

i think he has strong enough legs and a frame to carry 20x a game for someone though

I hear ya.

Maybe you get him behind a big line, let him get lost in the backfield and then explode on defenses or whatever. That's what seems to work best for little guys in the pros.

You know, unless you're Brian Westbrook, then you're simply unstoppable on every level.

=)

The bowl game didn't do squat for his draft standing; it was Ball St for chrissakes!

The NFL combine next month will the true indicator on where he is slotted for the April draft.

Rice hinted the past few weeks that he was going pro in newspaper article quotes. I think it is the right move for him, as 3/5 of the RU offensive line is moving on. Zuttah and Sosa were 4-year starters and excellent linemen. Fladell wasn't far behind. We do have some depth at OL, but replacing the three of them will be tough. Rutgers is not losing any tight ends. When I heard the guy at Texas and Kevin Smith were both turning pro I thought Rice might stay. But Slaton returning to WVU I think was another pebble on the "go pro" side of the scale. Schiano has run Rice into the ground, only Smith at UCF had more carries. Rice is not like Westy at all, he doesn't have great pass-catching ability, not is he as shifty. Rice is however stronger than Westbrook, and a bit more of a between the tackles type. I would say he is a slightly stronger, but slower Maurice Jones-Drew.

Rice hinted the past few weeks that he was going pro in newspaper article quotes. I think it is the right move for him, as 3/5 of the RU offensive line is moving on. Zuttah and Sosa were 4-year starters and excellent linemen. Fladell wasn't far behind. We do have some depth at OL, but replacing the three of them will be tough. Rutgers is not losing any tight ends. When I heard the guy at Texas and Kevin Smith were both turning pro I thought Rice might stay. But Slaton returning to WVU I think was another pebble on the "go pro" side of the scale. Schiano has run Rice into the ground, only Smith at UCF had more carries. Rice is not like Westy at all, he doesn't have great pass-catching ability, not is he as shifty. Rice is however stronger than Westbrook, and a bit more of a between the tackles type. I would say he is a slightly stronger, but slower Maurice Jones-Drew.

i would say thats pretty fair

comparing them out of college, rice has quicker feet and better vision that maurice.

but that had a lot to do with the system Maurice ran at UCLA. Pro / Bronco style that was all about making one cut and hitting the hole as hard as possible. so he never really worked on his vision. his first few years, if he saw someone coming at him, he'd go after them rather than try and make them miss.

he's improved on that a lot in the Pro's, and has given Taylor credit for showing him how important patience is.

im biased but i dont think Rice is stronger. Rice is sick tho. explosive and complete. Some team is gonna get lucky with him like the Jags got with MoD.

Last edited:
I must just be clueless. I figure this guy to be damn good.
The days of having one back are over.

Take a look at the teams that are left in the playoffs.

Actually what do you guys think of a Ryan Grant comparison. bigger back with great vision and good enough feet to be productive

The bowl game didn't do squat for his draft standing; it was Ball St for chrissakes!

I disagree for two reasons. One, it was the only game on at the time. Rutgers really only had one other national game this year, the one where they won at home vs. South Florida.

Two, in that bowl game, he had that 90 yard TD run in which he both ran away and ran over people. It's stuff like that which, right or wrong, gets remembered.

JoeP, do you really think NFL scouts care if it is the only bowl game on at the time? I am quite confident scouts are skilled enough to see the players they want to see, regardless of the number of games on.

Yes, people will remember that 90 yard run; it was a great run and gets people talking. Scouts are a pretty analytical lot in my opinion though, and they will be able to keep his outing vs Ball St in perspective.

I have no idea where Rice will go in the draft; definitely not my forte. I do maintain a great game vs ball st isn't going to help him that much.

Sorry JoeP, gotta disagree as well. Ray wasn't able to run away from BE secondaries much this year. Ball State is just on another level talent-wise.

Yesterday on Mike and the Mad Dog, ray compared himself to Jones-Drew, and said he grew up idolizing another player that was "too slow" coming out of college and a little undersized- Emmitt Smith.

Ray Rice said in today's Trenton Times that he ran a 4.46 40 3 times over the summer with no special speed training, FWIW

ray rice is someone that has the "it", he can play ball. Not like an adrian peterson but he will still elevate the level of talent at the RB position for some team. I think the combine will make or break him. I think early 2nd is where he is headed.

Back