P2W 5/6/17 Derby Day

who u liking in the oaks? thinking paradise woods might be the class
She
might be a freak based off of that last race, but don't think she gets away with an easy lead today with the likes of #10 Miss Sky Warrior, #5 Jordan's Henny and a couple of others who will also want the lead. Also hard to see her improve off of that effort and think she is going to be a really short price, so can't really leave off of multirace wagers or Oaks/Derby double, but will be against for a Win bet. #1, 7 and 14 will be the others I use.

My 4 year old is running around saying 10/4 good buddy.
I'm playing a $2 10/4 exacta in the Oaks.

So upset I left that horse out, came down to 7 or 13 and picked the wrong one

Agreed.. horrible trip given by Smith, just raced for place once he knew winner is long gone. I think Paradise Woods is the best but if she hooks up with Miss Sky Warrior or someone else and isnt given the lone lead like at Santa Anita then Abel Tasman would be my backup to pickup the pieces.

Scenario played out just that way.

Agreed.. horrible trip given by Smith, just raced for place once he knew winner is long gone. I think Paradise Woods is the best but if she hooks up with Miss Sky Warrior or someone else and isnt given the lone lead like at Santa Anita then Abel Tasman would be my backup to pickup the pieces.
Da Hoss
good call as well
Don't be a stranger, especially tomorrow

After today's races finish, I'm down to go race by race for tomorrow's card if anyone else is in for it....Race by race prattle, CTG style :tiphat:
Lloyd or anyone else?

.50 tri paid $1400

Lockdown really hard to find for 3rd. She ran against her style, should've been trying to keep up with pace. E8 running style on Bris. Usually that type either wires or fades badly.

Jose very smart to recognize pace and change tactics.

Derby Day thoughts

Race 1: #4 ran well in last, her first try on dirt, worked with Daddy's Little Darling on even terms, slight cutback adds to appeal. #3 first time starter for Lynch who can have them ready, nice steady work pattern might have this one fit enough to best an otherwise uninspiring field. #6 will probably the favorite, and I'm not sure if the switch back to dirt us the right one or not, wired a field but got dq'd out if win 3 back in an off the turf race and then ran well twice on turf, will try to beat for the win but include underneath in exacta and tri along #2. Plays: Ex 3,4/2,3,4,6 Tri 3,4/2,3,4,6/2,3,4,6. DD 2,4/2,3,7

Race 2: #7 seems the one to beat for Casse, just missed in a state bred stakes down in Tampa off the layoff, a couple of nice works since then and have to think a move forward off that effort which is likely probably wins this. A couple of others I like at a price though #3 can throw out last effort on turf and 3 back when overmatched in Grade 2 Risen Star. 2 back was 4 wide and then tired in the lane. So can make some excuse for last 3, the 2 before that is a nice maiden win and a less than a length 2nd to Hence who may be the wise guy horse in the Derby over a sloppy track. That's a live long shot to me at 15-1 ML. #2 tries winners for the first time but has improving and has the tactical speed for Rosario to place him where he wants.

Last edited:
Race 3: #1 has speed and the rail so if the course is playing anything like it was on Friday, he's in with a big chance.#3 may be the one to catch, question here is can he manage the stretch out to the mile, being out of Curlin you would think he can. #5 won this race last year but hasn't seen the winners circle in 7 tries since then. He should get a great stalking trip off the inside speed, if 1 and 3 battle hard early he may be able the one most likely to take advantage. #7 probably needed the last off the 9 month layoff, Malibu Moon offspring tend to like a wet surface so the rain shouldn't bother him. #8 gets some class relief and cuts back while adding blinkers, which should maybe get him more involved early in the racem but otherwise running form would seem to indicate he would need more ground to make a winning run, mixed signals for a horse that might be a short price.

Race 6: Tough race here #5 appears the be to beat and will be winging it from the gate, won last 2 attempts at this distance including BC Filly & Mare Sprint 3 back. #7 couldn't keep up with that one in the BC and she appeared to show some signs of weariness after a tough campaign last year, get the refreshing and has been training like a freak in anticipation of the return here, figures to be keyed up a bit here and should be battling #5 throughout the early stages. The question is do these 2 wear each other out setting it up for #2 who should be setting off those top 2 and ready to pounce if and when the top 2 tire. #6 is one that will be coming late and capable of taking advantage of a fast pace at this distance.

Derby Day thoughts

Race 1: #4 ran well in last, her first try on dirt, worked with Daddy's Little Darling on even terms, slight cutback adds to appeal. #3 first time starter for Lynch who can have them ready, nice steady work pattern might have this one fit enough to best an otherwise uninspiring field. #6 will probably the favorite, and I'm not sure if the switch back to dirt us the right one or not, wired a field but got dq'd out if win 3 back in an off the turf race and then ran well twice on turf, will try to beat for the win but include underneath in exacta and tri along #2. Plays: Ex 3,4/2,3,4,6 Tri 3,4/2,3,4,6/2,3,4,6. DD 2,4/2,3,7

Race 2: #7 seems the one to beat for Casse, just missed in a state bred stakes down in Tampa off the layoff, a couple of nice works since then and have to think a move forward off that effort which is likely probably wins this. A couple of others I like at a price though #3 can throw out last effort on turf and 3 back when overmatched in Grade 2 Risen Star. 2 back was 4 wide and then tired in the lane. So can make some excuse for last 3, the 2 before that is a nice maiden win and a less than a length 2nd to Hence who may be the wise guy horse in the Derby over a sloppy track. That's a live long shot to me at 15-1 ML. #2 tries winners for the first time but has improving and has the tactical speed for Rosario to place him where he wants.
R1
Agree #3, back to dirt and dirt race 2 back ran into monster

R5 #1 (7/2 ml) last time out ran a good 2nd beaten less than 1 length vs Zennor while making NA debut, could take a step forward today 2nd off layoff and 2nd time Lasix, moisture in turf course will help

Quick question. Can a bad jockey make a great horse run bad?
Does a great jockey make a avg horse run better?

who is the best jockey at Churchill today?
I am gonna keep my eye out for what jockeys win throughout the day and how they are handling the track

#1 in race 4 on the big stretch out? Rail. Distance should be no concern, but may not be great value with high profile connections.

#1 in race 4 on the big stretch out? Rail. Distance should be no concern, but may not be great value with high profile connections.
R4
is a very tricky maiden race...I do like #1, Pletcher is very good with stretchouts
4 goes synthetic to dirt in 2nd career start
5 took big step forward when adding blinkers and Lasix
6 made up ground in debut
7 ran 6th beaten 10 1/4 lengths in debut but took money (positive sign for 1ster)

R1 #6 looks like a really vulnerable 2-1 ML favorite. #2 is a 4 year-old that's already had 8 chances. Surely we can find something with more upside than these two.

Scenario played out just that way.
The blind squirrel finds a nut sometimes. Learned my lesson from last year, my brother n I just missed out on a life changing score last years derby card. You liked her too, hope you hit her good. I'm alive to ten horses in the Oaks/Derby double. Classic Empire better not win :prayer

I am only concentrating on the late pk4. Will be back later to discuss late rates at Churchill. Need to watch some qualifiers this morning.

Top three for Derby are Always Dreaming, McKraken, and Guennevera but this year has been so chaotic that others have shots. Taking a stand against Classic Empire and Irish War Cry.

Back