NHL Offseason Moves / Discussion

I thought the Horton contract was bad, he won't even play until December, 4 concussions....

almost as bad as the worst of the day

Ryan Clowe

have to count some bonuses but not all I think (but if they are met it carries over)

it's why 1st overall will have 3.85 or whatever, even though the base is only 900k

even the Rangers

his quotes were like a stomach punch to Sens fans though, had to be, not hat he ripped them just the "I don't have much time etc."

Murray even stated that he and Alfie had a back and forth about teams closer to winning a Cup than Ottawa. Murray was obviously trying to say Ottawa was his best shot (or as good as any) and Alfie listed at least 3 teams that he thought were closer. Would have loved to hear that convo.

Horton contract is horrible, he is going to be a shell in 4 years, so injury prone

Flyers overpaid for G but I don't mind because you don't let the guy walk and top players are going to get paid this kind of money under the new collective bargaining agreement. Lock him up and put some capable wingers around him to try to turn this ship around.

from capgeek.com

player's NHL salary for an individual season is the sum of a base salary, and, if applicable, a signing bonus. The player's annual NHL salaries are then used to calculate the player's cap hit or annual average (AAV). In other words, signing bonuses impact cap hit.
Signing bonus amounts have their own column on CapGeek.com's player contract history pages but are also included in the figures under the NHL salary column.
A signing bonus can be assigned to any individual season within a contract. They can be paid up front on July 1 prior to the league year but can also doled out according to a pre-determined payment schedule that is written into the contract.
Signing bonuses can affect buyout amounts depending on the language of the contract. Vincent Lecavalier's 2009-2020 contract, for example, specified "non-refundable" signing bonuses, meaning he received them in addition to his 2013 compliance buyout payments. Other contracts specify that the signing bonuses are contingent upon the player fulfilling the contract.

Kovalchuk retires for the money.... Sorry for family

What you mean? Didn't he leave $77 million on the table by retiring from the NHL? I know he'll make good money in the KHL, but he left a shit ton of money on the table.

just saw an interview with ribeiro, seems genuinely happy to be in phx with tippett

hard for me to gauge the signing in that we haven't had an owner or a legitimate signing in a decade or so, but i have to think the guy brings something to the table for the yotes. tbh, i don't think anyone here has given a shit just cuz we knew the team could be gone, but now that they have an owner, should we be excited for this pickup?

Ribeiro's a nice player but he's not going to be the missing puzzle piece that makes PHX a contender. He's also no spring chicken either, his best seasons in the league were 2007-09. I was surprised at all the hype this offseason, I think he's a #2 Center....

What you mean? Didn't he leave $77 million on the table by retiring from the NHL? I know he'll make good money in the KHL, but he left a shit ton of money on the table.

There's no tax in Russia, so he gets the full dollars there...you gotta remember that on the yearly deal when you consider the tax implications and escrow a 8 million dollar deal a year, is closer to maybe 4, still a crap ton but in Russia there's no tax at all

There's no tax in Russia, so he gets the full dollars there...you gotta remember that on the yearly deal when you consider the tax implications and escrow a 8 million dollar deal a year, is closer to maybe 4, still a crap ton but in Russia there's no tax at all

he's also getting the same money reportedly to play for 4 years, while getting paid 250K a year to retire from the Devils until 2025... selfish move which is no surprise

Yah it seems like you can get away with all kinds of shady shit in Russia re: paying people. Look what Prokhorov did in the NBA with Teletovic and Kirilenko.

he's also getting the same money reportedly to play for 4 years, while getting paid 250K a year to retire from the Devils until 2025... selfish move which is no surprise

you know it, the whole "family" thing is a cop out and lame excuse to me

Yah it seems like you can get away with all kinds of shady shit in Russia re: paying people. Look what Prokhorov did in the NBA with Teletovic and Kirilenko.
yep you know it Galtie

Seems like we in the US get away with all kinds of shady shit, like making people pay taxes.

I agree with you, just saying...

Penner leaving seems minor on the surface but I think they will miss him, nice 2 way player that doesn't need to have the puck to contribute on the ice.

So stacked

Claude giroux is the 5th best center on the team

Just insane the center depth

Us will have derek stepan playing top 9 minutes lol

interesting Methot getting an invite... nothing wrong with his game at all, I really like it, but maybe not quite olympic caliber

I think its just bodies

Weber
Keith
Seabrook
Doughty
Petro
Subban
Letang
Hamhuis
Bouwmeester

Would be my guess at the 9

I think its just bodies

Weber
Keith
Seabrook
Doughty
Petro
Subban
Letang
Hamhuis
Bouwmeester

Would be my guess at the 9

i dont' want PK anywhere near that team yet...kid still has alot of maturing to do...good player

Marchand and lucic shouldnt be anywhere near the team

This is where you are always wrong. Teams like these needs guys who will mix it up and do the dirty work. Filling up the team with guys who are soft and need to have the puck at all times to be effective is not the recipe for success at this level

interesting Methot getting an invite... nothing wrong with his game at all, I really like it, but maybe not quite olympic caliber

like teed said "bodies" but i'm sure they could have found better canadians to be bodies

Back