NHL Off-season Thread

Tell me about the Wings pick gents
Good physical guy, bit of a nasty streak

Held his own against men in swedish elite league

Moved on his own at 16 to play in sweden, so hes mature

Wont be an elite point guy, but will be a top 2 line play driver

Analysis: Kasper was easy to spot even in SHL games because of how powerful an athlete he is. He would often be the guy to wind it up in his own end to carry the puck due to his great speed and skill. Kasper has a strong 6-foot-1 frame, isn’t afraid to attack the hard areas, and can win some battles versus men as a 17-year-old. Kasper attacks with speed and skill, and while he can pull up to make a play or use his hard shot, his direct style of play will translate to the NHL. He projects as a quality top two line center.

What I miss? Had to go to grocery store. Wish I could win a gift card from Save on Foods but alas they discriminate against Americans.

Rangers got a really solid return for Georgiev who wasn't going to be on the team anyway. Better return than the Blues got for Husso who is probably just as good if not a touch better. I know they were asking for a first rounder during the season, but that's hardly going to ever happen unless a contender is desperate for a goalie - perhaps Toronto may have bit. Leafs were forced to ship a first out with Mrazek to unload that contract as well.
Will be very interesting what the Rangers do for their 2nd line center. Drury does not really like to overpay, and I know the scuttlebutt was Kakko + package for JT Miller, but that PLUS is going to be some dead weight contracts like Nemeth. I can't believe the Rangers would want to move Kakko at this point in time unless there is something behind the scenes going on. When healthy he's been solid and he's still so young. Miller is good, but I'm not sure what kind of contact extension the Rangers can afford for him, so losing another asset and having him jump ship like Copp would be a kick in the nuts.
Personally, I think the Rangers need to resign Copp and explore all avenues before UFA time, but if I'm Copp, I'm in no rush, so it's going to be a big ole stalemate there. If so, Rangers may be forced to overpay for Miller but I'd hope they'd have an extension in place beforehand.

Debrincat return was very underwhelming, and in my eyes, that trade was a lose lose. The market probably wasn't that high for a small winger who really benefitted from playing with Kane. There are seemingly a ton of wingers always available, albeit not many of them with multiple 40 goal seasons. Also Blackhawks were in a spot as they are in full rebuild mode and by the time they are competitive again (maybe), Debrinat would be late 20's and carrying a massive salary. Is this a guy you can build your team around? I wouldn't bet the farm on it. Ottawa on the other hand may be an interesting young team, but are they going to be all that good? Is Debrincat going to want to sign an extension there? And what is his asking price going to be? I kind of see him playing the next season or two out and when things don't pan out and they miss the playoffs those two years, he leaves as an UFA. Best case scenario is the second year, all the young guys start clicking, and the team is on the rise and him and Tkauchak are the corner stones. Guess we'll see.
Have to think the Hawks are shopping Kane as well as he's their last valuable asset.

Rangers got a really solid return for Georgiev who wasn't going to be on the team anyway. Better return than the Blues got for Husso who is probably just as good if not a touch better. I know they were asking for a first rounder during the season, but that's hardly going to ever happen unless a contender is desperate for a goalie - perhaps Toronto may have bit. Leafs were forced to ship a first out with Mrazek to unload that contract as well.
Will be very interesting what the Rangers do for their 2nd line center. Drury does not really like to overpay, and I know the scuttlebutt was Kakko + package for JT Miller, but that PLUS is going to be some dead weight contracts like Nemeth. I can't believe the Rangers would want to move Kakko at this point in time unless there is something behind the scenes going on. When healthy he's been solid and he's still so young. Miller is good, but I'm not sure what kind of contact extension the Rangers can afford for him, so losing another asset and having him jump ship like Copp would be a kick in the nuts.
Personally, I think the Rangers need to resign Copp and explore all avenues before UFA time, but if I'm Copp, I'm in no rush, so it's going to be a big ole stalemate there. If so, Rangers may be forced to overpay for Miller but I'd hope they'd have an extension in place beforehand.

Debrincat return was very underwhelming, and in my eyes, that trade was a lose lose. The market probably wasn't that high for a small winger who really benefitted from playing with Kane. There are seemingly a ton of wingers always available, albeit not many of them with multiple 40 goal seasons. Also Blackhawks were in a spot as they are in full rebuild mode and by the time they are competitive again (maybe), Debrinat would be late 20's and carrying a massive salary. Is this a guy you can build your team around? I wouldn't bet the farm on it. Ottawa on the other hand may be an interesting young team, but are they going to be all that good? Is Debrincat going to want to sign an extension there? And what is his asking price going to be? I kind of see him playing the next season or two out and when things don't pan out and they miss the playoffs those two years, he leaves as an UFA. Best case scenario is the second year, all the young guys start clicking, and the team is on the rise and him and Tkauchak are the corner stones. Guess we'll see.
Have to think the Hawks are shopping Kane as well as he's their last valuable asset.
Zero percent chance canucks take back a bad contract unless the offer is insane, I.e Lafreniere

Rutherford and Allvin have said at every chance they got that opening up cap space is highest priority

Obviously the Blackhawks are tanking but if they end up with the first pick in the next draft it will all be worth it.
Best year to tank arguably ever

Because of Bedard and Michkov, and with the new lottery, team that finished last is guaranteed a top 2 pick, plus teams can only move up max 4 spots

Best year to tank arguably ever

Because of Bedard and Michkov, and with the new lottery, team that finished last is guaranteed a top 2 pick, plus teams can only move up max 4 spots
I didn't know about the new lottery rules but that makes the Blackhawks look brilliant. Giving away Debrincat makes no sense but if it helps them finish last in the league its worth it.

I didn't know about the new lottery rules but that makes the Blackhawks look brilliant. Giving away Debrincat makes no sense but if it helps them finish last in the league its worth it.
Ya, they have to move Kane though, early too

If they wait till deadline, hes going to have won them some games they otherwise wouldnt, which may screw them over

Kane with 50% retained would have incredible value too, even just as a rental

Free agency starts Wednesday, really interested in seeing how things go. Gaudreau gonna get a massive contract, I know Philly, Devils and Isles are pushing for him.
Isles gonna be really good this year, I think last year was super flukey for them between Covid and just bad luck. I think they were top 5-10 in chances created and bottom 5-10 in chances allowed, so their expected goal differential should have been much better. Philly been dumping salaries all over and then sign Tony De'Angelo? I don't think Gaudreau is going to want to go to Philly even if that's his hometown area. Philly's going to stink.

I read Rangers stuff all the time and the panic is huge with their beat writers. They need a 2C, no shit. But ffs, they are also acting like losing Braun is going to be the end of the world. 37 year old so-so defensemen are a dime a fucking dozen. Rangers are stacked on defense, I'm fine with rolling with the likes of Hajek, Robertson, Lundqvist (whom I really regard highly) or Jones out there. I'm sure they can fill in with a rotting corpse of a defensemen through free agency - they picked up Nemeth and Jack fucking Johnson a few years ago (JOhnson was terrible, but hey he has a cup). Plenty of 1m/year options out there.

Rangers will need a backup goalie. I hope they can re-sign Kinkaid, but Huska still around. Other options are not near ready. Otherwise they'll need to find another $1-2million/year back up.

Which leads to the C2 dilemma which everyone is aware.
Option 1A should be Copp. Well, Copp isn't re-signing, that ship just sailed. Boooooo.
Option 1B should be JT Miller. This is going to be difficult. Vancouver will want a lot, and Rangers aren't getting him without parting with significant assets. If it were me, I wouldn't do this deal. Kakko and Laffy can't be traded for a guy they may not even be able to extend. Chytil is a 22 year old center which is your weakest position. To me, this just seems like nothing is going to happen.
Option 1C probably Ryan Strome, but I'd rather see him walk, as we need a better two-way center. Strome is a fine playmaker, but not a difference maker. Fuck paying this guy 5-6million for 4-5 years. spinning your wheels there.

Other possible options at present may include Dylan Strome, Trochek or Malkin.
PROBABLY one of the guys mentioned above will be a Ranger next year.
But, the Rangers need to make another move. They need to trade Kravtsov who will have some trade value and package him with a defenseman (where there are ample prospects) and/or a draft pick. Honestly, this should return something of pretty decent value Two NHL ready players (Kravtsov talented, just a whiny bitch because he wasn't getting top 6 line time) on the cheap + a 2nd rounder is more than the Penguins gave up for Rakell. Of course that trade was made during the season, but trade deadline guys get valued up just as much as offseason guys. And some teams have cap issues and may need to move an asset to pickup a free agent of need. I'm not an NHL insider obviously but maybe a guy like Schiefele or Dubois from the Jets. Just throwing that out there. Maybe the Wild, Panthers Knights want to bite to help with their cap room? Dvorak from Montreal?
Do this, re-sign Motte, get Blais back from injury, and Rangers really have 4 solid lines and 4-5 solid defensemen and Igor. That will do.

Last edited:
Free agency starts Wednesday, really interested in seeing how things go. Gaudreau gonna get a massive contract, I know Philly, Devils and Isles are pushing for him.
Isles gonna be really good this year, I think last year was super flukey for them between Covid and just bad luck. I think they were top 5-10 in chances created and bottom 5-10 in chances allowed, so their expected goal differential should have been much better. Philly been dumping salaries all over and then sign Tony De'Angelo? I don't think Gaudreau is going to want to go to Philly even if that's his hometown area. Philly's going to stink.

I read Rangers stuff all the time and the panic is huge with their beat writers. They need a 2C, no shit. But ffs, they are also acting like losing Braun is going to be the end of the world. 37 year old so-so defensemen are a dime a fucking dozen. Rangers are stacked on defense, I'm fine with rolling with the likes of Hajek, Robertson, Lundqvist (whom I really regard highly) or Jones out there. I'm sure they can fill in with a rotting corpse of a defensemen through free agency - they picked up Nemeth and Jack fucking Johnson a few years ago (JOhnson was terrible, but hey he has a cup). Plenty of 1m/year options out there.

Rangers will need a backup goalie. I hope they can re-sign Kinkaid, but Huska still around. Other options are not near ready. Otherwise they'll need to find another $1-2million/year back up.

Option 1A should be Copp. Well, Copp isn't re-signing, that ship just sailed. Boooooo.
Option 1B should be JT Miller. This is going to be difficult. Vancouver will want a lot, and Rangers aren't getting him without parting with significant assets. If it were me, I wouldn't do this deal. Kakko and Laffy can't be traded for a guy they may not even be able to extend. Chytil is a 22 year old center which is your weakest position. To me, this just seems like nothing is going to happen.
Option 1C probably Ryan Strome, but I'd rather see him walk, as we need a better two-way center. Strome is a fine playmaker, but not a difference maker. Fuck paying this guy 5-6million for 4-5 years. spinning your wheels there.

But, the Rangers need to make another move. They need to trade Kravtsov who will have some trade value and package him with a defenseman (where there are ample prospects) and/or a draft pick. Honestly, this should return something of pretty decent value Two NHL ready players (Kravtsov talented, just a whiny bitch because he wasn't getting top 6 line time) on the cheap + a 2nd rounder is more than the Penguins gave up for Rakell. Of course that trade was made during the season, but trade deadline guys get valued up just as much as offseason guys. And some teams have cap issues and may need to move an asset to pickup a free agent of need. I'm not an NHL insider obviously but maybe a guy like Schiefele or Dubois from the Jets. Just throwing that out there. Maybe the Wild, Panthers Knights want to bite to help with their cap room? Dvorak from Montreal?
Do this, re-sign Motte, get Blais back from injury, and Rangers really have 4 solid lines and 4-5 solid defensemen and Igor. That will do.
I haven't seen one person even mention Braun much less be concerned about losing him. As for JT I am not giving good assets and I am not paying him what he will want.

Copp would have been fine but not at the numbers or years he is looking for. The second line center should be Chytil with Kakko and Lafreniere as his wings considering they were the Rangers best line in the playoffs. They tanked for a reason now let the kids play instead of going after every shiny object that comes along.

The narrative that Kravtsov was at fault is something I keep hearing but don't believe it for a minute. Drury is the real bitch in this situation prefering to give more ice time to Reaves and Blais ( that was one hell of a terrible trade) than a European with talent. The Rangers are run like its 1970s hockey where you can hit and fight your way to a title when its speed and skill that wins as Colorado just proved once again as Tampa has shown for years.

Funny you mentioned Hajek because that guy isn't even good enough to play in the AHL yet was resigned because Drury can't admit he was wrong about a guy he recommended trading for.

If the team insists on a veteran center sign Malkin for two years and hope he can stay healthy which is doubtful but its a better way to go than giving 5 plus years to someone like Copp.

Thank you for your unsolicited opinion. However, I feel it’s best for my personal finances that from here on out @dylanphan is my go to source for all things Rangers related. We appreciate everything you’ve done here. Best of luck.
Feel free to fade me as I will undoubtably be on the under again next season.

Philly bought out Lindblom

That would leave them at right now 11.75m cap space hypothetically, because tams can go over cap by 10% in offseason

Also saw this today

So they are definitely making Gaudreau a huge offer tomorrow, I think Islanders and devils do as well

Either way, if he was going back to Calgary it would get done today, flames can offer 8th year vs 7 for everyone else, but starting when FA opens tomorrow, they can only do 7 too

If and when they lose gaudreau, if I were them I'd blow it up

Without him, lindholm and tkachuks numbers will plummet, their value now would be sky high

Especially lindholm, selke nominated center who can put up 40 goals

Think the Laf dream is done for him being traded, he was too good in the playoffs, don't see rangers moving him for anyone

Hes primed for a breakout next season

I don't think rangers can run it back next year with minimal changes and expect similar results

Brewers is right to be pessimistic, they shouldn't have been a playoff team based on the amount of high danger chances they allowed vs what they produced

Igor masked some serious issues, and ya he may do it again, but goalies are kinds voodoo from year to year, even the analytics people say that. A drop in his save percentage of 10 points, which would still have him as an incredible goalie, would turn so many wins into losses

Gaudreau told the Flames hes leaving

Favorites seem to be flyers, islanders, and devils

I kinda think devils are gonna be the team, him and jack hughes together could put up some monster numbers, they have the cap space too without moving anyone out like philly would

Think the Laf dream is done for him being traded, he was too good in the playoffs, don't see rangers moving him for anyone

Hes primed for a breakout next season

I don't think rangers can run it back next year with minimal changes and expect similar results

Brewers is right to be pessimistic, they shouldn't have been a playoff team based on the amount of high danger chances they allowed vs what they produced

Igor masked some serious issues, and ya he may do it again, but goalies are kinds voodoo from year to year, even the analytics people say that. A drop in his save percentage of 10 points, which would still have him as an incredible goalie, would turn so many wins into losses
lol. They were 2 wins away from the Stanley Cup last year. Overachieved for sure.
But, they have the reigning vezina trophy winner signed and just about to reach his prime.
They have the 2021 Norris Trophy winner and 4 starting defenseman all under 25 that are only going to get better. And another veteran who is just 28. And a pipeline of 3-4 NHL ready defenseman at 20-23 years old in the wings.
On offense they have a ppg #1 center, a 50 goal scoring winger and an MVP caliber winger on line 2
With NO changes and just attrition, the top 9 could be Laffy/Ziba/Kreider Panarin/Chytyl/Kakko Blais/Goodrow/Gauthier and they have two NHL ready guys, at least 1 will be on the squad next year in Cuylle and Othmann who is killing the OHL as a teen.
Every team in the NHL would love to be this pessimistic about next year and going forward. Keep listening to Brewers, he has a long track record of talking air and is one of the myriad of posters on this site I have on ignore.
Can they get back to the semi finals as is? probably not. I'd rate Carolina and possibly Florida ahead of them in terms of talent and depth in the east. They are certainly on par with TB right now which is a team that loses a lot of players each year due to cap and attrition.
I'm a realist, and sure a fan, but this team has plenty of talent to spare. I am sure they will reach out to get another center, in which case, you have Goodrow possibly leading the best 4th line in the NHL with say Blais and Cuylle (who is a Tom Wilson like player). This is akin to the great Isles fourth line from years past with Martin, Cluttberuck and Cizikas.
Team will be fine. Should be a relatively high seed in the playoffs, and from there, really anything can happen if you get a hot goalie and I kinda like #31

basically what I meant to say was why can't the Rangers run it back with minimal changes? Every single player with the exception of possibly Kreider is either getting better every year or in their prime right now. And Kreider just scored 52 goals ffs. Team is on the rise, no reason that they NEED to make major changes to contend again.

Last edited:
Back