NHL Off-season Thread

The Sabres are still on my shit list, exclusively because of how the Pegulas have handled them since taking over, but they really have seemed to get some really good young talent and can possibly start making playoffs again. UPL (Ukko Pekka Luukkonen) , if he pans out, will be that goalie you're speaking of here.

Whether or not they end up winning the Eichel trade, that entire thing was a disaster on the organization's part. They lost Eichel AND Reinhart...when they could have easily built around them for the future. They refused to budge on Eichel with his shoulder, and then predictably the "Eichel is a cancer" stories started leaking out. Fuck the Pegulas. Hopefully the Sabres can win in spite of the best example of "a fan suddenly has enough money to buy his hometown sports team and has no fucking clue what he's doing" having taken place for many, many years now.
Ya the eichel situation was a ahitshow

Pegulas fucked up badly too when they fired like 90% of scouting and support staff a few years ago

Adam's doing best with what he can though as GM

Similar type of owner situation we have here, although not as bad, aquilini family are rich developers who were fans and bought the team

Our issue is the head of the family put the second son in charge of the canucks and hes been an idiot, kept benning way too long as gm, went cheap on his staff when we have 3rd most expensive tickets in league after leafs and rangers

Ya the eichel situation was a ahitshow

Pegulas fucked up badly too when they fired like 90% of scouting and support staff a few years ago

Adam's doing best with what he can though as GM

Similar type of owner situation we have here, although not as bad, aquilini family are rich developers who were fans and bought the team

Our issue is the head of the family put the second son in charge of the canucks and hes been an idiot, kept benning way too long as gm, went cheap on his staff when we have 3rd most expensive tickets in league after leafs and rangers

Bad organizations, in ALL sports, start at the top. Period. Show me a team who's been horrible for many years, and I'll show you the absolutely awful owner who is at the helm.

Its a market value deal but paying these older players is not the way to go and I know this firsthand from the trash team I root for.
Hes 29 and cap is gonna go up to around 90m in 2024

Even if he struggles in last few years of deal, cap is 10-15m higher than now by then most likely and it's not an albatross

Even if he struggles in last few years of deal, cap is 10-15m higher by then most likely and it's not an albatross
The way to build a team is sign your own guys to long term deals when they are young so you don't have to overpay guys at the end of their careers.

Nils Lundkvist is the latest former first round pick of the Rangers to demand a trade. This organization is a clown show from ownership on down and this is just another example.

Even if he struggles in last few years of deal, cap is 10-15m higher than now by then most likely and it's not an albatross
Just to give a perfect example of this I will use the Rangers to show how not to do things. Instead of giving Chytil who was the best Rangers player in the playoffs a long term deal when he is young and easily affordable they overpaid Trochek to be the second line center and now Chytil will be gone in the next year or two.

Just to give a perfect example of this I will use the Rangers to show how not to do things. Instead of giving Chytil who was the best Rangers player in the playoffs a long term deal when he is young and easily affordable they overpaid Trochek to be the second line center and now Chytil will be gone in the next year or two.
I agree

Miller had 99 points last year though, and trocheck may take 2 seasons to get that

Different guys

Thats the problem considering Schneider and Trouba are both far inferior players but are big and North American.
Lundkvist hasnt even put up enough numbers in the ahl tho yet

Hes an offensive d man, should be at close to a point per game and was at half that basically

Lundkvist hasnt even put up enough numbers in the ahl tho yet

Hes an offensive d man, should be at close to a point per game and was at half that basically
He barely got any ice time in the NHL and was consistently paired with Nemeth who was awful. The Rangers mismanagement of young players is staggering and a big reason why they will never win another championship. The fact is Lundkvist is now at least the third former first round pick to demand a trade in the last few years and its not a coincidence that they are all European.

Braden Schneider was pretty awful last season yet he was cemented in the lineup over the more talented Lundkvist and Zac Jones due to being a big defenseman. A smart organization like Detroit will pick up Lundkvist for pennies on the dollar just like St Louis did when they traded a pile of trash for Buchnevich yet another European youngster the Rangers didn't value.

I agree

Miller had 99 points last year though, and trocheck may take 2 seasons to get that

Different guys
Miller putting up 99 points was probably pretty fluky but I will agree its a much better deal than the Trochek one. This deal certainly isn't bad but you can't have too many big deals with guys in their 30s if you are to build a consistent winning team.

Lowry/Morrissey is likely next in line for captaincy there. I also had a feeling Wheeler was on his way out, or may have even asked to step down in some fashion. They were once not too far away from being able to contend. That Covid playoff season when Scheifele made the late hit on the young Hab, basically all but ruined their chances and they've been in a black hole ever since.

Lowry/Morrissey is likely next in line for captaincy there. I also had a feeling Wheeler was on his way out, or may have even asked to step down in some fashion. They were once not too far away from being able to contend. That Covid playoff season when Scheifele made the late hit on the young Hab, basically all but ruined their chances and they've been in a black hole ever since.
Ya, I'd guess they are hoping wheeler has a great year to raise his value and move him at some point

Oh yeah.. the fuckedness goes soooo far deep beyond just this. Only until Comcast sells and the entire organization is gutted and rebuilt from the ground up will they ever return to some semblance of a feared, competitive, entertaining hockey club. Obviously still a "fan" but I've moved on completely from the team itself. It's real sad.

Actually maybe not

Its top 10 protected for 2023 draft, if its top 10 it rolls over to 2024

So no lottery ball chance at Bedard or michkov

Still good value but not a big win as it would have been

I think the Rangers did great in that trade. They dealt from a position of strength, a player who was quite unlikely to make the team barring injury.
I'm on record as stating I liked Lundqvist a lot and thought he should have been playing more last year. However, he's a smallish offensive defenseman and it's been pretty obvious that the Rangers prefer bigger d-men. Only 22, but we get a first rounder, even if top 10 protected, that's 2 firsts and a second in a pretty deep 2023 draft to restock the shelves. And Rangers still sitting a good 7-8 deep on NHL ready dmen before they pickup the grissled veteran they just love to pickup every year.
Speaking of, Z retired this morning. Helluva run for that guy

The return for Nils is fine considering the circumstances but Schneider was the defenseman that should have been moved when Lundkvist is the far superior player. This guy is going to be an all star caliber player for Dallas.

MacKinnon doing avs a favor at 12.6 a year

Also interesting avs got lockout protection in 26/27

In 2 seasons caps gonna jump massively, the escrow from covid shutdown years will be paid off, lebrun and mckenzie have said it could go up 10 million by summer 2024

So this deal is going to be a steal, Matthews is up that year and probly gets 15m a year, then mcdavid a few years later maybe 18? If caps near 100m

MacKinnon is two years older than McDavid and Matthews and not quite as prolific a scorer. The other issues besides age is the style of play MacKinnon plays is a lot more physical. This contract goes through age 35 and these type guys see their production fall off as they age quite a bit more than finesse players for lack of a better term. Good contract for great player and of course he just wanted to be the highest paid player now as surely McDavid will pass him by when the Rangers sign him in 2026.

I think he will age ok, his vision is incredible and he has a great shot, mcdavid seems more reliant on his speed than Mac is on his speed or physicality

He works out with crosby every offseason too, so he will have a good base

But past 30 some guys just break down

Look at subban, retired today, hes only 33

Mentioned this last week with the potential Matthews new deal after mac got his

Article has this projection

FdsJXTIXEAAMyID

Twitter is trying to cancel bissonnette for saying female fans think hockey players are attractive, he was specifically talking about tyler Seguin injury

It was a throwaway line that essentially was saying seguin is a rocket

Hockey twitter is so fucking soft

Don’t let this guy listen to Biz and Whit talk about slicking back the lettuce and not wearing a bucket during pregame warmups, dude’s head might explode.

Back