NFL Playoffs

philly can't play them in the divisional round because they're the 6 seed...would have to be one of the other 3 team, all of which are capable imo

"Same thing in the Colts / Chargers game. Yes, they had a convincing home win, but it was against Denver. They already lost to the Colts on that field this season, and the Colts come in much healtier than they were a month ago. San Diego shouldn't even be here, 5 of their 8 wins were against the AFC West, talk about sneaking into the playoffs. "

i like that you lean the other 3 home teams, but i disagree with you here. the chargers are very overrated and have been all year, but the colts are the most fraudulent 12-4 team i have ever seen. big wins against pitt and new england, and a bunch of garbage. who the hell gets to play cleveland, cinci, detroit, jax, and a second string titans team for their last 5 games of the year? it's tough to beat a team twice, especially since this team has won 3 of 4 against you including a playoff last year, and have covered 5 of 6. you suck on grass, you can't run the ball, you can't even come close to slowing down the run, and lt looks like he has finally fully recovered and should have a field day.

great post.

Funniest part of all of this - do any of the teams playing this week have a shot the following week? Traditionally, very few do, and there are some elite teams getting some rest this week in the Giants, Carolina, Tennessee & Pittsburgh.

Philly won at the Giants couple weeks ago...
Indy won at Pittsburgh earlier this year...
Balty took Pittsburgh to OT at Pitt earlier this year...
Atlanta knows Carolina well (though the whole NFC South teams not losing a home game until week 17 against each other thing doesnt bode well)...
Arizona played a tight game at the Giants...
Indy is more than capable of going into Tennessee and winning - theyve done that more than a few times...

I think this playoffs is completely wide open

Wouldnt be surprised at all if it was the first All Wild Card Super Bowl

By the way...so much for that dome advantage....

Youre gonna be looking at 10,000+ Eagles fans in there

$500 for flights, 300 bucks for hotel, 200 bucks for tickets to the games.

+Spending $. I know Philly travels well, but still thats alot of coin for a weekend.

I doubt we see 10k philly fans...maybe 1k-2k.

"Same thing in the Colts / Chargers game. Yes, they had a convincing home win, but it was against Denver. They already lost to the Colts on that field this season, and the Colts come in much healtier than they were a month ago. San Diego shouldn't even be here, 5 of their 8 wins were against the AFC West, talk about sneaking into the playoffs. "

i like that you lean the other 3 home teams, but i disagree with you here. the chargers are very overrated and have been all year, but the colts are the most fraudulent 12-4 team i have ever seen. big wins against pitt and new england, and a bunch of garbage. who the hell gets to play cleveland, cinci, detroit, jax, and a second string titans team for their last 5 games of the year? it's tough to beat a team twice, especially since this team has won 3 of 4 against you including a playoff last year, and have covered 5 of 6. you suck on grass, you can't run the ball, you can't even come close to slowing down the run, and lt looks like he has finally fully recovered and should have a field day.

I agree to some extent, but the Colts have been banged up all season, and they are finally (mostly) healthy right now. And they did win the games they needed to, no matter how ugly the wins were. 6-2 S/U on the road is no joke. They earned the right to be here by doing what they had to do to pile up wins, while San Diego needed a miracle comeback agaisnt the Chefs to even have a chance against the pathetic Broncos.

This is the only game I'm on the fence with, I'm backing the rest of the home teams for sure.

How is Minnesota gonna score?

Seriously...

Phillys got the third best rush defense in the league

And, well, Jimmy Johnsons blitzes vs. Travaris Jackson...

Im just saying you cant make a bet for Minnesota and have any expectation of winning...the only thing youre doing is betting against Philadelphia and expecting them to shit the bed...

(which is possible (seeing as I wont be surprised by anything Philly does anymore...they could lose on Sunday or they could win the Super Bowl) but not likely id argue...)

For sure. And if you don't, that says just as much.

I'm expecting to be able to get +4.5 or better, I bet with Philly locals. :smiley_acbe:

Nice. My local is not in Philly, but I would love to get 4.5 for sure.

How bout Zona? Think we will get 3 in that one?

Smoke-how are the Eagles going to score? The Viking front is definitely good enough to force Andy Reid into passing 56 times and running the ball 8 times.

How is Minnesota gonna score?

Seriously...

Phillys got the third best rush defense in the league

And, well, Jimmy Johnsons blitzes vs. Travaris Jackson...

Philly's defense is not that good vs the run ...its great they are #3 and all but they are not a Top 10 run defense ....I imagine home games vs STL , Dal , Cle and Zona which were lopsided early sure inflate that stat....

Top 2 backs only included :

Wash 29c/93yds QB 2/28yds

NYG 18c 91 yds

Balt McClain 18/88yds but McGahee , Rice 15c 15yds

Cincy 23c42yds(Fitzpatrick at QB)

Sea 18c84 yds (seneca at QB)1c 2 yds

SF Gore 19c 101yds Foster 3c 4 yds(O'Sullivan at QB)3c 31yds

Chi Forte 19c43 yds 3c 16yds Kjones

Dal Marion 18c 63yds FJones 3 c 10 yds

Minnesota as a whole is better offensively then every team Philly traveled to except NYG and Dallas which bot times Philly was 7 pt dogs . While some will say Balt offense is equal or better I disagree think Vikes are the better offense ...

Phillys defense is good but so are about ten others in the league and Minnesota's is one of them

beat me to it, nut...agree 100%. the schemes and blitzes should give jackson some fits no doubt, but i highly doubt it's going to be smooth sailing for mcnabb too. only difference is the vikings know they are a run based offense and adjust accordingly most of the time. the eagles should be a run based offense as they have one of the best, but can't seem to figure that out...they spend most of the time trying to make mcnabb look like tom brady

Philly's defense is not that good vs the run ...its great they are #3 and all but they are not a Top 10 run defense ....I imagine home games vs STL , Dal , Cle and Zona which were lopsided early sure inflate that stat....

Top 2 backs only included :

Wash 29c/93yds QB 2/28yds

NYG 18c 91 yds

Balt McClain 18/88yds but McGahee , Rice 15c 15yds

Cincy 23c42yds(Fitzpatrick at QB)

Sea 18c84 yds (seneca at QB)1c 2 yds

SF Gore 19c 101yds Foster 3c 4 yds(O'Sullivan at QB)3c 31yds

Chi Forte 19c43 yds 3c 16yds Kjones

Dal Marion 18c 63yds FJones 3 c 10 yds

Minnesota as a whole is better offensively then every team Philly traveled to except NYG and Dallas which bot times Philly was 7 pt dogs . While some will say Balt offense is equal or better I disagree think Vikes are the better offense ...

Phillys defense is good but so are about ten others in the league and Minnesota's is one of them

So basically what youre saying is that Phillys defense has only let up one 100 yard rusher the entire year on the road? And that guy got 101 yards? Good to know...

:shake:

not only did the eagles fail to get to .500 on the road, winning 2 out of three of their road performances vs awful, awful teams, but they got outscored by their opponents overall (-5), while the vikings outscored their opponents by 31 points at home and only lost 2 games at home by a combined 10 points. quite a discrepancy. and chicago, washington, san francisco, nyg, and baltimore---3 of 5 of those teams significantly worse than minn---all managed to score 23+ points while only averaging 190 yards passing per game between them. so i think minny will find ways to score.

smoke, you're confident that they are going to be able to shut down peterson? i don't see it

So basically what youre saying is that Phillys defense has only let up one 100 yard rusher the entire year on the road? And that guy got 101 yards? Good to know...

What I am saying is only Wash had a RB get 20 carries so anything above 80 yds for a back is VERY SOLID .....If they allowed a 100 yds on 18 or 19 carries then their RUN defense would be terrible allowing over 5 YPC....

Giants tandem avg 5 yds per carry , McClain was just shy of 5 YPC , Seattle was aout 4.7 and SF 5 YPC....

Lets look at the opposing PHILLY QBs vs Jimmy Johnson Defenses:

Eli and Romo 2 solid ones ..

Flacco , Orton , Campbell , Wallace, O'Sullivan , Fitzpatrick......

Tavaris Jackson is how much worse then any of those guys ? Whats that ? Not any worse .....

Which Philly is 1-4 vs the top 5 QBs on that list ..and 2-0-1 vs the other three......

I am all for the arguement Tavaris Jackson could meltdown under the Eagle pressure but just saying how much merit does have when we look at every game this year ?

All I know is Aaron Schatz over at Football Outsiders has the Eagles as his #1 ranked team according to his DVOA Ratings...he has Minnesota #14

good enough for me

All I know is Aaron Schatz over at Football Outsiders has the Eagles as his #1 ranked team according to his DVOA Ratings...he has Minnesota #14

good enough for me

Those guys drink the Eagles sizzurp every year.

its just numbers though...no bias involved

and they had Miami as the team on the upswing this year...didnt see too many people calling that

(btw, they like green bay next year)

Funniest part of all of this - do any of the teams playing this week have a shot the following week? Traditionally, very few do, and there are some elite teams getting some rest this week in the Giants, Carolina, Tennessee & Pittsburgh.

I agree with Smoke on this one. This is the most flawed collection of bye teams I can ever remember.

its just numbers though...no bias involved

and they had Miami as the team on the upswing this year...didnt see too many people calling that

(btw, they like green bay next year)

Isnt that rather obvious though ? Look how many games they lost by a few points and look at the injuries they suffered ? They had a young QB who could NOT practice for a few weeks in the early part of the middle of the season(aorund week 6ish) and they suffered tons of injuries to their defense . Nothing went right for GB and give them better health alone they could win half of the 8 close losses they had probably w.o improvement ...

Happy New year Smoke

I agree with Smoke on this one. This is the most flawed collection of bye teams I can ever remember.

It's funny all regular season I said Home FIELD was so huge because we had so many teams on the same level of play . Now its a mixed bag because home field is important in the playoffs obviously but outside of Pitt who still struggled vs good teams at home I dont see an increase in the teams overall play that is significant . If your saying how weak the BYE teams are I agree because its unlike pastyears when home field waslike automatic win or 3-1 mark in general ..but guess thats why we see 4 road favs...

Isnt that rather obvious though ? Look how many games they lost by a few points and look at the injuries they suffered ? They had a young QB who could NOT practice for a few weeks in the early part of the middle of the season(aorund week 6ish) and they suffered tons of injuries to their defense . Nothing went right for GB and give them better health alone they could win half of the 8 close losses they had probably w.o improvement ...

Happy New year Smoke

Same to you buddy

:cheers:

smoke - i heard AD say his ankle has been hurt and he's been playing on it for a few weeks now -

Peterson aggravated an ankle injury in last week's win over the Giants. "I've been fighting with this ankle injury the past three weeks. Going out on Sundays I take a lot of shots in the legs, so it got twisted up on that play and it was pretty painful [against the Giants]," he told the Minneapolis Star Tribune reports.

EDEN PRAIRIE, Minn. (AP)—Plenty of good seats are still available for Minnesota’s playoff game against Philadelphia.
The Vikings reported 8,000 tickets remaining at noon New Year’s Day for Sunday’s game against the Eagles. The NFL has granted an extension until 3:30 p.m. local time Friday to reach a virtual sellout, but the possibility of a local TV blackout looms.
The blackout would not only encompass the Twin Cities, but secondary markets in the region as well. It includes satellite, cable and over-the-air systems, so nobody in the area could watch the game unless they’re in attendance at the Metrodome.
Vice president of sales and marketing Steve LaCroix said the team has hired extra holiday help to solicit potential buyers. The Vikings haven’t had a game blacked out since 1997.

I cant even fathom that...

In Philly those tickets wouldve never been available in the first place but if for some reason they were, theyd be gone in 15 minutes

I cant even fathom that...

In Philly those tickets wouldve never been available in the first place but if for some reason they were, theyd be gone in 15 minutes

http://www.startribune.com/sports/v...ArksLckD8EQDUoaEyqyP4O:DW3ckUiD3aPc:_Yyc:aUUT

The NFL gave the Vikings a deadline of 3:30 p.m. today to sell their remaining 8,000 tickets for Sunday's playoff game against Philadelphia, but a ruling by the league in a different market might indicate the Vikings could get more time to avoid a TV blackout.
The NFL on Thursday granted Arizona a second 24-hour extension to sell its remaining tickets for their Saturday playoff game against Atlanta.
The Cardinals, like the Vikings, were given a 24-hour extension to sell enough tickets to avoid a blackout. The deadline for the Cardinals was Thursday afternoon, but with the team reportedly still holding 3,700 tickets, the NFL granted another 24-hour extension, until 2:30 p.m. today.
That appears to be good news for the Vikings. But Steve LaCroix, vice president of sales and marketing, said the Vikings can't assume they also will be granted another extension.
LaCroix said Thursday that he was "cautiously optimistic" the Vikings would sell their remaining tickets, but the team faces an uphill climb to avoid its first blackout since the 1997 regular-season finale.
LaCroix said many of the remaining tickets are prime seats, ranging from $80 to $180. LaCroix said the Vikings ticket office is working "24/7" and the team is contacting season-ticket holders who have not purchased tickets.
LaCroix said the team has had conversations with various companies about purchasing a bulk amount of tickets, but the response hasn't been favorable. The Vikings needed corporate help to reach a sellout eight times over the past two seasons.
"They are in the same boat as everybody else," LaCroix said. "It's the start of a new quarter and a very tough economic and financial environment. So really there is no one that is going to come in and save the day at this point. When you have this many seats available, it ends up being a pretty expensive proposition

what the fuck marlo??!?...do you own a ticket? i can't even imagine that happening. these vikings fans better get their asses in gear.

what the fuck marlo??!?...do you own a ticket? i can't even imagine that happening. these vikings fans better get their asses in gear.

Yes we have tickets.

It sucks though some of my buddies in Madison, and Chicago are ripping me apart this morning through email.

it's really unbelievable...i mean, how do they sell out the regular season every game and blow off this game? you never know, i mean for as wide open this race is, they could be hosting the nfc championship game if a couple of breaks go their way!! i'm not saying that i think they will, but i don't think it's out of the realm of possibility. what the hell else is there to do in minny except go out and tailgate all morning and then watch your team beatdown this overrated eagles team? (kiddin smoke, relax haha)

Teams that cant sellout an NFL Playoff game should lose their franchise.

I waited in line for 4 hours at a Hen House in KC to get a 42nd row upper deck seat for Chiefs/Colts the year we went 13-3.

People dont know how lucky they are to have pro teams that are good.

i would expect this from arizona, but not from minny...they have very good fans and make that place an extremely tough place to play for big games...this has really confused me

It amazes me as well Joe, Like I said only about half of the season ticket holders elected to purchase the playoff tickets. We have been hit hard up here like everyone with the economy....and our major corporations are are on the Retail end...so you lose that option as well. I know if the game is subject to blackout like it is now, you will see a ton of people go out and buy tickets. Most of the guys I work with are planning on buying tickets if it indeed is blacked out.

There has been alot of smack talk going on about us not being able to sell out from the Philly media...

I have heard about every Vikings player on either Local media or National media touting the fans to come out and buy a ticket.

This morning Ziggy decided it would be smart to lobby for a new stadium that half would be funded by the Tax payers. Who ever is in charge of public relations and marketing inside the Vikings organization should be fired on the spot.

There is nothing to do in Minnesota, besides ice fish during the winter. Apparently we dont have our priorities straight.

But with that being said I give it maybe a 5% chance that it will be blacked out. The NFL/Local media, and national media will step in. Or a last second "silent" angel will come in and scoop up the tickets.

If this was in detroit say instead of minnesota and I can guarantee theyd all be taken by Birds fans...Minny is just a tad outside of driving distance though...

why do you think they cant sell them? is it really the economy? or they just dont want to be there for the inevitable??

also, id be shocked if it actually was blacked out...someone will buy the tickets....at the very least the tv station who would broadcast the game should come in and get them to save the ad revenue theyd lose from not showing the game

Vikings got an extension until tomorrow @ 330pm to sell 3100 tickets, game will be televised.

Wouldnt read much into the ticket situation . Its a reflection of the economy IMO . Arizona is having trouble as well they recieved an arlier extension I believe as well .

The key with Arizona is getting Boldin back 100% healthy , giving Edge James the rock and he continus to run like a man possessed or trying to prove something hearing his he wont be back comments. Everyone saw he how hard he ran vs NE in a blowout except the Zona staff . So those 2 players make the offense more likethe reputation it has . The other is postseason experience of 37 yr old QB Warner who excels when blitzed , Edge James and Coach Wisenhunt ..ATL 1st year QB and Coach ...plus ZOna hosting 1st playoff game since like WW II !! ATL defense ? Abraham will play but questionable , Milloy missed last week with a back injury (that he struggled to tie his shoes that week) and Jamal Anderson appears doubtful...Also did ZONA reclaim momentum vs SEATTLE in the 2nd H ?? I kinda think they did if they didnt it would be a terrible season. To many expected ARI to just show up and play well but looks like it took some work and came together in the 2ndH especially when Fitz started getting the ball.

Some tidbits that were cut and pasted..the bold are most interesting to me

-Arizona played six of the NFL's top nine rushing teams this season and lost each time. My take is that lets look at the 6 games indivually. I would assume @ NE , Minny , NYG , @ Wash and @ Carolina , an @ Jets . So 4 road games we dont even need to look at that closely and the 2 home games . The Falcons are not the Giants and the game was fairly competitive and the Vikings game was turnover realted more then anything . Berrian got on the board with a punt return then they scored after a turnover . ATL is not either of those defenses and with Harry Douglas questionable the kick game loses alot of luster .

-When Atlanta has scored first this season, it is 11-0. When its opponent scores first, Atlanta is 0-5. Kinda of interesting because 1st year coach , rookie Qb and general young offense in its 1st playoff game. Might be a good omen if Zona scores 1st but really doesnt mean much of anything ...Playing a SB QB and RB in Zona plus Wisenhunt ..

-The Cardinals have committed 30 turnovers this season with QB Kurt Warner accounting for 25 of them (14 interceptions and 11 fumbles). In the past seven games, the Cards have committed 16 turnovers and opponents have scored 10 touchdowns as a result. In the last 7 games who have they faced ? @ Philly , @ NE in snow , Minny and NYG plus STL and SEA twice ...look at the 1st 4 teams and well thats tough defenses and tough venues..kinda have to overlook it some IMO

-No defense in the playoffs has fewer takeaways than Atlanta's (18). Now this is saying on paper a turnover prone team is catching a break as ATL has not forced many turnovers or recovered them..which could mean dropped INT's or not grabbing a loose ball at a key moment .

-The Arizona defense allowed a league-high 36 touchdown passes. Terrible but they faced some tough scheduling IMO oustide of the division they didnt have many easy games ..of interest is how well Zona played @ Carolina . They kinda fell apart in the 2nd H when Carolina needed a WIN but generally for a poor road team they showed well . Which remember how well the NFC South did at home all season ...27-5 and TB lost its last 2 home games and NO lost to Car by 2 points in the final week for 3 of those 5 losses , ATL lost to Denver and NO to Minny ..and Carolina was 8-0......

-Arizona is 6-2 at home this season, averaging 30.3 points per game, and 12-4 at home under second-year coach Ken Whisenhunt. The Falcons are 4-4 on the road this season and scored more than 24 points just twice away from the Georgia Dome.
I think Zona does have a decent home field edge as their defense and ST seem to play better and the offense executes well early . ATL is young and seeing that the conference doesnt lose at home 4-4 is solid...

Notes:

ATL has won 3 games down the STRETCH despite losing 3 turnovers a game in them..@ SD , TB , STL. Matt Ryan has 6 INTs last 5 games including 2 at home vs STL this could be a red caution flag. He only had 5 in the 1st 11 games ..

49—Yards given up by the Falcons punt coverage unit, a new league record.

8—QB Matt Ryan is 8-0 when he leads the Falcons in for a score on their opening drive of the game.

So Zona played 6 of the Top 9 rushing teams and lost all 6 which 4 were away . What do they allow rushing yardage wise? How bout 4 YPC and 110 yds pergame at home its 3.9 YPC and 105 yds . Pretty solid considering the opponents and the game @ NE where they looked terrible and couldnt tackle anyone ...also ZOna one of 6 teams to recover DD fumbles on running plays.

Travel for ATL on the short week but also since Thanksgiving in Philly the Cards have had to travel only to NE in the snow . While that weekend ATL went cross country to SD , then to NO , home for TB , out to Minny , home for STL and now out in Zona...

CB Chris Houston at 5'11 will cover Larry Fitzgerald who is 6'3 and loves the jump ball.

While its just precautionary mainly the Falcons had 5 key defenders listed on the injury report : Abraham , Anderson , Milloy , Grady Jackson and Curtis Lofton , plus Harry DOuglas KR/WR ...

Warner 1st playoff game since 2001 Super Bowl , ZOna 1st playoff game since 1998 and 1st home playoff game since 1947.

Economy woes are surfacing IMO . Thats why Zona and Minny are struggling IMO to sellout .

Cards KNOW they are UNDERDOGS :
The Cardinals are two to three-point underdogs against the Falcons. “I’m fine with being an underdog,” Whisenhunt said. “I’m fine with people thinking we don’t have a chance.”

It doesn’t surprise strong safety Adrian Wilson that the Cardinals aren’t favored, even though they are playing at home.

“We’re the Cardinals, man, nobody gives us respect,” he said. “It’s always something with this team. That’s what you hear in the media. It’s always somebody saying something. We’re underdogs. That’s fine. I know we play well at home. It’s going to be a tough game and we’re going to be ready to play.”

Wilson doesn’t need the underdog role to find motivation. “You’re asking the wrong one for motivation,” he said. “To me, the game can’t come fast enough.”

- The forgotten man is the KEY here . Edge james COULD have plenty of room to run with the Cover 2 scheme guarding against the deep pass . Which is Curtis Lofton' job to deal with Edge and he is on the injury report as well ...

- The ATL key could be Roddy White and Michael Jenkins facing a defense which allowed 36 passing TDs . Rod Hood has been targeted lately and expect that to continue . Ryan missed jenkins a bunch of times last week and finished just 10/21 160 yds ..Ryan @ Minny 13/24 134 yds TD not ovrly impressive . Last year White had a huge day @ Zona as did Boldin and Warner ...granted ATL was using Redman and terrible ..

ATL defense has really struggled the past 2 weeks IMO. They sold out to stop AP @ Minny and force Tavaris to beat them. Well AP 22c 76yds was held in check but Jackson himself had 8 carries for 76 yds and 22/36 233 yds 2 TDs 0 INTs.

The way I see it ARIZONA has the intangible edges here :
-Home Field
-Veteran team loaded with star players
-Experienced Coaching Staff vs 1st year coach
-Better health coming in especially on defense
-Underdog status in PrimeTime(okay midafternoon)

What scares me is that Zona is 5-5 L10 beating STL and SEA twice and SF on MNF . However I go back to the BYE WEEK when before that Edge was the main rusher . They ran the ball okay played well @ Wash and won @ SF , beat Dallas , Miami and Buffalo at home with just a terrible 1st H @ NYJ. I think the Boldin injuries and going to Hightower hurt the offense and they played some good teams and good defenses that gave them trouble

4:30 Game

Played:

Arizona +1 (280)
1st Q +0.5 -160 (40)
1st Half +0.5 -120 (120)
Zona +11.5 , Over 27.5 Miami and Under 51.5 Eagles ( Teaser -120) (160)

Interested in:
Arizona TT Over 25 +100 but 24 would be fantastic.
Kurt Warner Over passing yards and Edge over rushing Yards

Lean to :
Indy with SD nursing huge injuries to LT and Gates . Seemed like LT was finally healthy and playing well but now this . Indy's defense has eally played well in the 2nd Half of the season and should be fairly healthy . Thinking UNDER as well .

Sunday :
I lean strong to Miami but the fact that Tenny is on deck in a rematch has me very hestitant because of how that LOSS unfolded earlier . Just might grab the +3.5 and not the ML. DO like the over though as well though pretty big. Miami and Over teaser ?

Minny unlikely to have Pat Williams but Samuel banged up for Philly as well . Definetly like the UNDER and Vikes ....

Really like the teaser but has moved a tad and off some key numbers IMO ..+11.5 or better for Zona and Eagles 51.5 or better ..balt at 28 not that big off a deal IMO...

Good Luck more tmrw ...damn injury reports holding me up also if I could ever get Zona +1.5 again would like a 2 team teaser with UConn in CFB....-0.5 and +7.5

Back