*** NFL Free Agency and Draft Official Thread ***

17-13 SU at UCLA if I did the counting correctly...

that kind of stuff doesn't really mean much in the long run really. don't get me wrong, I do think that sometimes a guy is just a winner, but plenty of qbs who didn't win a lot ATS or Straight Up in college turned into fine NFL qbs, while plenty of guys who I made bank off of in college are selling cars now

Unlike basketball, a QB can't single handedly win a football game for a program as diminished as UCLA. Pac 12 blows in general, it's amazing they got Rosen and won 17 games with him with Mora as a coach.

Obv the Texas A&M game is an outlier

My sources are telling me Zietler and picks is a possibility

But it's still a fluid situation, Dorsey has told people close to him though I have heard, that hes feeling like a big move is coming

Weird, didnt see this one coming

After he said that it didn‘t matter which qb was throwing to him it had to be obvious something like this would happen to him lol. Can‘t wait for his reaction to games when Allen gets more rushing yards than passing

AB wants no part of buffalo and won’t extend there can’t see it. His career is done if he ends up there, you thought Ben was inaccurate, Goodluck w Josh Allen throwing you the ball.

AB destination possibilities - Assuming the off the field issues don't put a severe dent in his value, let's look at the assumed value the Steelers are interested in acquiring (mid 1st to high 2nd round) and see the prospects for a possible fit. General criteria I would think are needed: 1) unquestioned status as #1 WR, 2) a quality QB throwing the ball, 3) avoiding AB staying in the division or going to certain "rival" teams.

Pick 15 - Washington - throwing out any pick above 15 as too much for AB. Skins need a #1 but have no QB at the moment.
16 - CAROLINA - interesting potential. CAM would probably love it, and it wouldn't be hard to push out Funchess and have a three WR group of Brown, Moore and Samuel. Probably the best pick the Steelers could hope for....would Carolina pull the trigger?
17 - Cleveland - division rival, no
18 - Minnesota - Thielen and Diggs already established, no
19 - Tennessee - Tits have been grooming Corey Davis for years, AB doesn't really fit into their run first approach either. Probably not.
21 - SEATTLE - another interesting spot. AB would be the #1 over Baldwin and Lockett, and he gets Russell throwing the rock. Seattle went more run heavy last year but Petey can adjust. Hawks don't have a 2nd rounder though so this is boom or bust.
22 - Balty - no
23 - Houston - Nuk is the #1, no chance
24 or 27 or 35 - Oakland - Getting some consideration but why would Chuckie dump two superstars in their prime for #1s only to turn around now and grab a 30+ superstar? It doesn't make sense.
25 - PHILLY - Possible. Eagles are willing to make splashes, and they have a pair of #2s still in the bank. Alshon not a true #1, could be jettisoned with Tate and Agohlor being the #2 and #3. Ertz would be the issue, he gets a ton of balls that AB would now want.
26 or 34 - INDY - TY is the #1 but injury prone. AB would love having Luck throw him the ball. Like Philly the TE gets a lot of action so the philosophy would have to change. Indy has their full complement of picks the rest of the draft. Darkhorse possibility.
28 - LA Chargers - Allen is the #1 but works more inside, so AB could fit. Not sure the Steelers would be willing to deal AB to one of the 3 big contenders in the AFC though.
29 - KC - Steelers couldn't be Mahomes last year with AB on their side, they won't send him to the Chiefs.
30 - Green Bay - Another location getting some play. Rodgers would love it but Adams and AB as 1 and 1A doesn't sound compatible.
31 - LA Rams - Rams have their big 3 once Kupp returns, no room at the inn.
32 - NE - yeah, right.
2nd Round
33 - ARIZONA - Steelers would love to send AB to the Bermuda Triangle that is the Cards. Rosen is up and coming. Larry is back for this year but he's a slot WR at this point and as unselfish as any WR in history. Could work.
36 - SAN FRAN - The top pick for most, makes sense: NFC, west coast, Niners need a #1, Jimmy G will be back. Can't leave off the list.
37 - NY Giants - AB and OBJ together? Lol
38 - Jax - No QB, no chance
39 - Tampa - Evans is a decent #1, they have good WR depth, and they need to sort out the QB situation. Not a great fit.
40 - BUFFALO - The sleeper pick IMO. Bills are not a primary threat at this time, but adding AB would create a twice a year thorn in the Patriots side, which the Steelers would love. Bills should be bold and go for this AND try to sign Bell, become Pittsburgh North.
41 - DENVER - Their odds just went up with the Flacco acquisition, depending on what the cost is. Sutton is not quite ready to be the #1 yet. Denver is second tier in the AFC West and adding AB might not change that, wouldn't hurt the Steelers much.
43 - DETROIT - Probably the lowest viable pick. They have a QB, a young WR in Galladay that would fit as a #2. They make the cut.

So I've got nine possibilities. I'd rate them as follows, most likely to least likely:
Niners
Cards
Bills
Seattle - a drop off from here in likelihood.

Indy
Philly
Carolina
Denver
Detroit
Well it appears my hot sleeper pick made overtures but it eventually fell through. So much for a 20:1 win. Looks like Brown and Rosenhaus are working to control the process from the opposite side of what the Steelers are looking to accomplish. Rearranging my board based on news:

DROPPING - Bills (obvious), Cards (say they're not interested) , Colts (too much available cap room, they can get guys without sacrificing picks)

TOP 2
Niners
Seahawks

OTHER LANDING SPOTS
Eagles
Panthers
Lions
Broncos - say they're not interested, but you pick up Flacco and then don't give him any toys to play with? Think they're playing possum.

NEW ADDS?
Raiders - I don't believe Chucky and Mayock are that dumb, but some of the conventional wisdom seems to think so.
Redskins - Now that they picked up Keenum for basically a song they move back into the picture, although their #1 is way too high to give up.

I wouldnt trade a 1st for him, 3rd at most

Also amari wasnt looking like a 1 last year when he got moved, everyone at the time said the cowboys were crazy to give a 1, now it turns out it looks like a good move for them, but we should still get a more productive player than what amari was giving us with the pick, so it's likely a win win

What a win

Cooper and a 3rd and a 5th for AB and a 1st

ALL DAY

now he finds out what it's like to play without a QB

unless Gruden can work some magic, but this trade is a win, even with them paying $50 million.

I can't believe that's the best deal the Steez could get. No NFC team willing to deal a 2nd rounder? You know they wanted to move him out of the AFC and they couldn't even do that.

Hopefully he can have a good attitude if we’re not winning or he’s not getting the ball. But not giving a 1st or 2nd is big.

now he finds out what it's like to play without a QB

unless Gruden can work some magic, but this trade is a win, even with them paying $50 million.

He is 18 months away from being an mvp candidate, espn had a poll then too, which qb will win the most super bowls in a decade and Carr was first

Last year was a mulligan and he still threw for 4k and 70%, and he doesnt have that ownership mentality

First time he will have same offensive for 2 years straight

Jordy was actually really good last year, something like 42 catches last 6 weeks of the year, now he wont be getting covered by the 1s

They still have 4 picks inside top 35 and plenty of cap space, last years rookie class looks super promising, hurst dropping to round 5 cause of his heart thing and he should have been a top 10 pick, key and hall both raw but another off season of development and miller too at LT

Not saying they are going to win the super bowl or even make the playoffs, but teams turn it around in the nfl really quick, especially those with draft capital like the raiders have, and mayock involved gives a ton of confidence

Also it csnt be understated but the

1st and AB for 3/5 and amari is incredible

If anyone else made that trade ESPN's nfl writers would be waiting to give the raiders a happy ending like they were bob Kraft in a a Florida strip mall...

First time he will have same offensive for 2 years straight

Jordy was actually really good last year, something like 42 catches last 6 weeks of the year, now he wont be getting covered by the 1s

They still have 4 picks inside top 35 and plenty of cap space, last years rookie class looks super promising, hurst dropping to round 5 cause of his heart thing and he should have been a top 10 pick, key and hall both raw but another off season of development and miller too at LT

Not saying they are going to win the super bowl or even make the playoffs, but teams turn it around in the nfl really quick, especially those with draft capital like the raiders have, and mayock involved gives a ton of confidence

Also it csnt be understated but the

1st and AB for 3/5 and amari is incredible

If anyone else made that trade ESPN's nfl writers would be waiting to give the raiders a happy ending like they were bob Kraft in a a Florida strip mall...

„Same offensive“ coordinator?

Like Rams D showed last year i think...can‘t just add a ton of new players and expect instant improvement like in Madden. Building chem takes time

Lets take a look at this trade in a year

Raiders just set the market for WRs with this deal. Imagine what a Michael Thomas is going get

Carr also playing from behind a lot more than BR and Steez had Bell running the ball for most of that time period. I don't think these stats are all that meaningful tbh.

What are you even talking about? Bell wasn't around until Ben's ninth year...
And what other stats do you want to compare the quarterbacks with? Rushing yards?
And where do you even pull that other point from? Carr's numbers are way worse in losses than in wins.

Carr also playing from behind a lot more than BR and Steez had Bell running the ball for most of that time period. I don't think these stats are all that meaningful tbh.
Not Bell but definitely Bettis and Willie Parker. Cowher certainly ran it more Bens first few years, and with good reason. Bens still a TO machine even today.

What are you even talking about? Bell wasn't around until Ben's ninth year...
And what other stats do you want to compare the quarterbacks with? Rushing yards?
And where do you even pull that other point from? Carr's numbers are way worse in losses than in wins.

Sure, but outside of completion percentage (where they are separated by .03%), there isn’t really another stat that is truly comparable based on how the league has changed in the past few years favoring the passing game immensely.

You’d expect more yards and TDs from a QB playing in the past 5 years or so compared to a QB playing 10+ years ago. And the Steelers also had The Bus for many years before Bell was there, so P Unit’s point also comes into play.

Sure, but outside of completion percentage (where they are separated by .03%), there isn’t really another stat that is truly comparable based on how the league has changed in the past few years favoring the passing game immensely.

You’d expect more yards and TDs from a QB playing in the past 5 years or so compared to a QB playing 10+ years ago. And the Steelers also had The Bus for many years before Bell was there, so P Unit’s point also comes into play.

Isn‘t it easier to limit an opposing qb‘s numbers when he doesn‘t have a hof running back to attract the d‘s attention?

Isn‘t it easier to limit an opposing qb‘s numbers when he doesn‘t have a hof running back to attract the d‘s attention?

Not when the team’s philosophy and identity were to be a smash mouth run team with a great defense. Again, the game has changed (dramatically) since Ben was in his first 5-7 years in the league, and the changes have even ramped up more in the past 3 years or so.

Ben was essentially seen as a “game manager” early in his career. I’m also not defending Ben, nor am I taking the Carr side in the debate. I’m merely pointing out that looking at the stats (yards, TDS) is almost pointless based on how different the game is now.

Not when the team’s philosophy and identity were to be a smash mouth run team with a great defense. Again, the game has changed (dramatically) since Ben was in his first 5-7 years in the league, and the changes have even ramped up more in the past 3 years or so.

Ben was essentially seen as a “game manager” early in his career. I’m also not defending Ben, nor am I taking the Carr side in the debate. I’m merely pointing out that looking at the stats (yards, TDS) is almost pointless based on how different the game is now.

Carr was also definitely limited by coaching staff (philosophical and otherwise) issues outside of the 2016 season.
And the point is also to compare Ben pre-AB with post-AB it isn‘t until the NFL changes a few years ago but when AB comes that Ben starts wracking up 4,000 yard 20-touchdown seasons consistently

Also, you‘d think it much easier for game manager Ben to have had a much higher completion percentage. So point to accuracy Carr.

Back