NBA Playoffs Tuesday...

B.A.R.

CTG Partner
Staff member
3-2-1 +5.80 units

Well, just spent 15 minutes doing write-ups on each freaking game only to accidentally click something and have them erased. Seriously was on last two lines of the Detroit-Cleveland game. Haven't pulled one of those in awhile. Nice night last night with the Spurs coming through easily. Bulls and Celtics was a great game. Here we go again....going to condense these a bit this time.

Utah at Los Angeles

Utah didn't shoot well in game one. They got a great performance from Boozer though. They still hit the century mark despite the 39 percent shooting. LA isn't happy with their play. They lost rythm in the 3rd and were a bit sloppy at other times in the 2nd half. Kobe and the staff were not happy with their defense in the passing lanes, rebounding and want to limit cutters angles. They also fouled Utah a lot which helped the Jazz get to the century mark. Got to expect Deron to shoot better. Utah really needs to take advantage of the open court. I expect both teams to adjust accordingly but think DWill is going to be a bigger factor. Should be an entertaining game.

Utah +11.5 -110 2 units

Detroit at Cleveland

Very crisp first game. Cleveland shot 53% and the Stons were near that for much of the first half. Only 11 or 12 combined turnovers. Cleveland committed what has to be close to a record only 10 fouls(one intentional under 2:00). LeBron was very assertive early. Thats a great sign for Cadavalier fans. Detroit wants to stop his offense. Well, no shit. MC's plan is to force the ball out of his hands earlier. Well duh. I do like he is changing up defenders. Only guy I ever like guarding him is Hamilton. Prince is too thin and right now is too limited with his back. Stuckey and Afflalo will also play James. The problem is, Detroit doesn't have that lockdown defense anymore in this type of situation. As long as the role players of Cleveland are hitting their shots this should be over early. Detroit doesn't have the sustainable offense to stay in this game. Mo Williams will be better too. I was impressed that Stuckey really played him hard on both ends after having a dissapointing defensive season but Williams will see easy looks with Detroit's apparent gameplan. I expect the Cavs to roll along here. Detroit is playing out the string and they know it. Doesn't matter what they say. The defensive effort as a team in game one showed that.

Cleveland -11.5 -110 3 units

Houston at Portland

Portland looked like deer in headlights the first game. Houston looked like a team, albeit with an altered cast, that was taking out several years of frustration. If Yao attacks early and often, the series will be short. I hope not. I am rooting for Portland to win. Just a more entertaining team to watch. I still lean Houston for the fullgame. Something tells me Portland comes out blazing(no pun intended) early tomorrow. I really feel that. I will entertain quarter and half plays tomorrow.

Portland -1.5 -115 (1q) 2 units

Alright, that was fun to do twice.
Goodluck.

Last edited:
GL man
AGree about all games. Probably gonna play Portland 1st Q

Great to hear that. I haven't played a quarter in awhile. I did a lot back in the day when I was following playoffs like I am trying to this year. Think its a solid play. Was definitely hoping you liked that.

good shit. Still looking over the cleveland game, and would pull the trigger on Utah if I could get confirmation on Okur's status. You see anything on it?

hmmm... if portland comes out strong early and maintains a lead at half, the 3q might set up to be a better play. during the regular season at home, they pulled away from teams in the 3q and it came in at a pretty good clip... paging sportsnut!

SF,

I capped it assuming he won't be in there. If he is, and can hit a few jumpers, bonus.

Just played Cleveland -11. I'm hesitant about Utah though. Their chemistry looked a bit off from the past few games. Are you hoping for a backdoor cover, or a close game?

JAZZ

Watching the Jazz fall behind by 22 at halftime of Sunday's playoff opener against the Los Angeles Lakers, it was hard not to conclude that the same tired Hollywood sequel had been reworked for this first-round series.
The Jazz have made a habit out of their slow starts against the Lakers at Staples Center. They trailed by 13 at halftime of Game 1 against the Lakers in last year's conference semifinals and 15 at the end of the first quarter of Game 2.
The same thing happened in a Jan. 2 regular-season game, when the Jazz found themselves trailing 37-20 at the end of the first quarter. That game even ended with the exact same final score (113-100) as Sunday's.
"It is kind of getting repetitive and it's something we can't have happen against a team like this," Deron Williams said. "You're not going to be able to come back from 20 down. They're just not going to let you get back in the game.
"You can make a couple runs, but we've got to do a better job of playing them even through the first half, getting through the first half, and then worry about the second half."
The Jazz gave up 62 points on 65.7 percent shooting to the Lakers in the first half, while shooting 35.4 percent themselves. They watched the Lakers hit five three-pointers and score 13 points on the fast break with Kobe Bryant coming alive at the end of the half.
Jazz coach Jerry Sloan, meanwhile, was mystified by the shot selection of some of his players. Ronnie Brewer was 2-for-6 in the first half but missed four jumpers. Andrei Kirilenko was 1-for-5 and C.J. Miles was 2-for-8.
"They're leaving us open for a reason," Sloan said, "because we're not great shooters out there and we took some of those shots to, I guess, try to prove we could make a shot, and consequently, they didn't go down for us."
LAKERS 113, JAZZ 100: The Jazz lost for the eighth time in their last 10 games going back to March 31. Kobe Bryant led the Lakers with 24 points and eight assists, hitting two jumpers after the Jazz had closed within nine in the fourth quarter and finishing them off with a dunk in the lane as part of a three-point play. It was the Jazz's 10th consecutive loss to the Lakers at Staples Center, including all three games in last year's conference semifinals.
NOTES, QUOTES
—However long the odds were for the Jazz in their first-round series against the Lakers, they seem even longer now. Only three No. 8 seeds ever have pulled first-round upsets (in 50 series) and only one has ever done so after dropping Game 1. Denver did suffer a 26-point loss to Seattle in 1994 before coming back to win the series in five games. Lakers coach Phil Jackson, meanwhile, is 41-0 all-time when his team wins Game 1.
—Jazz coach Jerry Sloan raised eyebrows with another of his postgame comments, this team in response to a question about defense. The Jazz have given up 125, 114, 130, 118, 125 and 113 points in recent games. "We're not a nasty team," Sloan said. "Most of the teams that we've had here have been pretty nasty and they will get after you from daylight to dark. We're just learning how to get after it a little bit more as we go along with younger guys."
QUOTE TO NOTE: "It's a never-ending hill." — Jazz forward Paul Millsap, on trying to climb back from a 22-point halftime deficit against the Lakers.
ROSTER REPORT
ROTATION: Starters — Point guard Deron Williams, Shooting guard Ronnie Brewer, Small forward Kyle Korver, Power forward Carlos Boozer, Center Jarron Collins. Bench — Guard Brevin Knight, Forward Matt Harpring, Forward C.J. Miles, Forward Andrei Kirilenko, Forward Paul Millsap.
PLAYER NOTES:
—G Kyle Korver made only his third start since coming to the Jazz in a December 2007 trade from Philadelphia. With Mehmet Okur out, coach Jerry Sloan wanted a shooter on the floor to keep the Lakers from sinking into a zone defense. Korver had seven points on 2-for-6 shooting.
—F Carlos Boozer had his highest-scoring game since returning from knee surgery, totaling 27 points and nine rebounds against the Lakers. Boozer's previous high had been 25 in the Jazz's April 11 loss to Golden State.
—F Andrei Kirilenko had eight points, eight rebounds and four assists and drew the defensive assignment on Kobe Bryant down the stretch. But Kirilenko committed an inexplicable turnover after stripping Bryant with under four minutes to go. Kirilenko slowed up rather than going strong to the basket on the break and sailed a pass over Kyle Korver's head out of bounds to give the ball back to the Lakers.
—G Deron Williams' 17 assists were a playoff career-high, but Williams struggled with his shot, going 4-for-14. Williams played the entire second half and 45 minutes in all with Brevin Knight ineffective in the first half.
MEDICAL WATCH:
—C Mehmet Okur missed Sunday's playoff opener against the Lakers with the strained right hamstring he suffered in last Monday's victory over the Clippers. Okur was hopeful he could practice Monday and possibly play in Game 2 but has not done any court work in the past week.

LAKERS

Is there hope for the Utah Jazz in this first-round playoff series against the Lakers? Utah did outscore the Lakers by nine points in the second half of Game 1 Sunday at Staples Center.
Of course, the Lakers outscored Utah by 22 points in the first half.
"I thought we played relatively good defense the first half," Lakers coach Phil Jackson said. "And the second half, I thought our defense was (poor)... Foul after foul, you know, rebounds and offensive rebounds. Those are all things we harped on all week about having to watch."
Utah will no doubt hope Tuesday night in Game 2 that the Lakers don't get Trevor Ariza making 3-of-4 three-point shots, Shannon Brown 3-of-3 and Luke Walton 1-of-1.
"A lot of people are writing us off right now, but we definitely feel that we can beat this team," Utah's Matt Harpring said.
The Jazz would love to get the physical, disruptive defense Harpring gave them last year in the six-game series against the Lakers. Harpring had four fouls in 14:35 of play Sunday.
Utah also could use a boost in the form of Mehmet Okur (hamstring) returning to action. But Okur's status is unknown. Replacement starting center Jarron Collins had seven points and seven rebounds in 15 minutes — which actually was more than the Lakers got from Andrew Bynum (seven points, three rebounds) in 20 minutes.
LAKERS 113, JAZZ 100: Trevor Ariza scored 21 points for a playoff career high. His counterpart at starting small forward, Kyle Korver, had just seven points in the same 33 minutes of play.
NOTES, QUOTES
—Kobe Bryant passed Magic Johnson (3,701 points) for third place on the Lakers' all-time playoff scoring chart.
—Bryant, Trevor Ariza and Pau Gasol on Sunday against Utah became the first Lakers threesome to each score at least 20 points in the playoffs since May 14, 2008.
QUOTE TO NOTE: "I'm a game connoisseur, so I know how nasty (Jerry) Sloan was when he was playing. Pardon my French, but your (rear end) would be kicked out of the league if you played that physical now. I'm sure he's using it as a motivational tool to get those guys to play even harder." — Bryant, on Sloan's questioning his players' tenacity.
ROSTER REPORT
ROTATION: Starters — Point guard Derek Fisher, Shooting guard Kobe Bryant, Small forward Trevor Ariza, Power forward Pau Gasol, Center Andrew Bynum. Bench –Forward Lamar Odom, Forward Luke Walton, Guard Sasha Vujacic, Guard Jordan Farmar, Guard Shannon Brown, Forward Josh Powell, Center DJ Mbenga.
PLAYER NOTES:
—G Shannon Brown is fast becoming more than a flash in the pan for the Lakers, delivering nine points and solid defense against Utah's Deron Williams in the Lakers' postseason opener Sunday.
—C Andrew Bynum said he'll wear the hard brace over his right knee for the rest of the season. He missed almost 10 weeks with a torn medial collateral ligament.
—F Pau Gasol was praised by Lakers coach Phil Jackson for getting four blocks Sunday, but Jackson sounded as if he thought Gasol could've gotten more.
MEDICAL WATCH:
—G Jordan Farmar (foot) is playing despite tendinitis in his right foot.
—G Sun Yue (ankle) is expected to miss the rest of the regular season.

Good luck bro great write up. I think the jazz keeps it close also.
My gut is telling me these lowly pistons are in position to shock the nation tonight.

Looking forward to both.

I can't go with you on the Jazz.

It feels to me like the Lakers can name their number with that team. Which, as it happens, may be good for you if the Lakers start shaving like they have in year's past. But I can't do it.

Cleveland, however . . . now that's interesting.

the OVER will continue to hit in this first round. All these teams are shit on D.

The only good dfensive team in the playoffs right now is the Cavs, but they also like to push the ball to the front court as quickly as they can to get pts in the transition.

wow, you got a 4 leaf clover on you or something? good job man. great covers. nice when they go your way. :cheers:

I will BAN you if you make a HT play on either the Jazz/Lakers game or the Rockets/Blazers game after the first two covers on the night. :cheers:

<TABLE class=tborder cellSpacing=1 cellPadding=6 width="100%" align=center border=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=tcat colSpan=2>Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 104 (29 members and 75 guests) </TD></TR><TR><TD class=alt1 colSpan=2>HUNTDOG, B.A.R.*+, bersrker, biff_chipmon, bookiebeater, Cappy, Check_raise, Cherry Picker, deuce's wild, dstang26, esco, ISU74, JetFavre, jk16, Jon84, Kramer, LJA24, lkk66, occp, orev, potlicker, putters, Ramathorn02, Riceman, Satyr, Seabass, Whatashot, Yao Bling, Zman </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

<TABLE class=tborder border=0 cellSpacing=1 cellPadding=6 width="100%" align=center><TBODY><TR><TD class=tcat colSpan=2>Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 104 (29 members and 75 guests) </TD></TR><TR><TD class=alt1 colSpan=2>HUNTDOG, B.A.R.*+, bersrker, biff_chipmon, bookiebeater, Cappy, Check_raise, Cherry Picker, deuce's wild, dstang26, esco, ISU74, JetFavre, jk16, Jon84, Kramer, LJA24, lkk66, occp, orev, potlicker, putters, Ramathorn02, Riceman, Satyr, Seabass, Whatashot, Yao Bling, Zman </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

My stock has went down this year ;)

JK

Nice ROUTINE covers early..

backdoor late hopefully

Wow, 3 out of 3, with the combine difference between the lines set and the results 2.5 points! I guess you are in a middle of a good run again. Hope it will continue!

Back