National Championship Discussion: Clemson vs Alabama

I have 1unit on Bama -6. During the Summer I put my max 5unit bet on Clemson to make the Playoff (at +110) - one of the main reasons I made the max bet was their schedule. The ACC looked like it would be way down this year (and it pretty much was) and I felt if they got past A&M in week 2 it was smooth sailing - they escaped A&M and it pretty much was easy except for the Syracuse scare and there is always one of those. So I think Bama has actually played the tougher schedule when you look at GA, Auburn, Miss St., etc. With the bowl results, none of those teams are world beaters but they all have 1st round talent.

Also, who does Bama struggle with? Johnny Football, Watson, and now Murray. Lawrence is a true freshman, probably the #1 pick when he's eligible and a great athlete. He's not a statue back there in the pocket and actually is a very talented runner. But he ain't Murray, that kid is a freak of nature and the fastest I've seen with my eyes. I just think Bama's defense will be able to get to and control Lawrence and the Clemson offense. And I think the Bama offense will do ok vs. the Clemson D. just how I see it - but only a standard 1unit play - wouldn't surprise me to see Clemson win and/or at least cover. But I don't think Lawrence will hurt them like Murray did and Bama can cover a TD. I won't play it but the Under is probably the smartest bet.

Yeah coaches room is excellent. I couldn't watch a game live like that, but I recorded the one from last Saturday and have been watching it the last few days. Thrusting the MNF crew on us is ESPN just trying to do anything to make those 3 work. At least Tess and Booger have NCAAF experience. Witten will be even worse than he has been on MNF

Power ratings are cool and everything. It was really cool when computers "picked" the best team or some nerd writer "selected".

We will see.

If you like advanced metrics/PR/etc, Alabama has beaten the FPI 3, 5, 8, 12, 13, 14, and 17 teams. If they beat Clemson, will have beaten half of the other 16 teams in the top 17. For the record, Clemson has beaten #7 and 13

I remember thinking I hope Jawon Pass dont beat me. He is built a lot like Lawerence He didnt.

Kyler Murray was the Heisman winner. Clemson qb is not better today than Kyler.

Deshaun made plays with his legs, not just scrambling for 1st downs, scrambling for tds.

Last edited:
Lawrence isn‘t a statue though of course hes not going to scramble like Murray but he is definitely fast for as tall as he is

Deshaun Watson beat us with his arm just as much as his legs. He made clutch throw after clutch throw into tight windows and in the face of pressure. 2 virtuoso performances.

I remember thinking I hope Jawon Pass dont beat me. He is built a lot like Hunter. He didnt.

Kyler Murray was the Heisman winner. Clemson qb is not better today than Kyler.

Deshaun made plays with his legs, not just scrambling for 1st downs, scrambling for tds.

I think Murray is undraftable in the NFL as a QB-- He is Seneca Wallace? He is only 5'9 but weights like 175-- that body cannot play with those guys in NFL- a hit by Jaylon Smith and Murrays career would be over--

Lawrence on the other hand is going to be the undisputed #1 pick overall when he declares for the draft..

Lawrence is a much better player and passer than Murray--- He cant scramble but hes a PRO style QB-- Understands the game and is a foot taller than Murray.

Deshaun Watson beat us with his arm just as much as his legs. He made clutch throw after clutch throw into tight windows and in the face of pressure. 2 virtuoso performances.

The thing about this BAMA team is this--

LSu Georgia, Oklahoma were fairly competitive vs them..

Clemson won largely because of MIKE WILLIAMS was winning jump balls like crazy over Humphries the corner for Baltimore--

THis years teams has 2 giant 6'4 receivers--

Its a tight matchup-- BUt for me TUA didn't dominate 3 games-- vs LSU MISS ST and GEORGIA-- basically 3 good teams they played

I don't think he dominates a solid Clemson defense--

Lawrence may be young as wel, but this kid looks special to me-- Like a young NFL QB--

Also helped that Bama's offense couldn't get a first down to save its life, that guy on the trick play threw better than Jalen did

Tua was injured against everyone after Tennessee, which was LSU, Miss St, AU and UGA. It definitely affected him, but I think the Heisman affected him more. He was trying to throw a TD on every play. He looked more like himself against OU. And I don't consider a game that was basically over 2 min into the 2nd quarter competitive. We attempted 9 passes in the 2nd half. Once it got 21-0, the goal of the offense was to eat up clock. Clemson's defense is a tremendous challenge, but at the very least we will have a fully healthy offense, though the suspension of Brown at LG is a big deal. The matchup of the night will be the Clemson DL vs the Bama OL. If the Alabama OL wins that battle, I don't think Clemson will keep us under 40 points.

Also helped that Bama's offense couldn't get a first down to save its life, that guy on the trick play threw better than Jalen did

Jalen's limitations were certainly brought to light by the teams that could defend the run well. Though in that championship game, Jalen walked off the field with the lead. I know the defense was gassed, but if you ask any of them, I bet they think they should have been able to make a stop. Watson was just too good

Hunter Renfrow in college playoff games:

2015:
OK 4/59
Bama 7/88

2016:
OSU 5/50
Bama 10/92

2017:
Bama 5/31

2018:
ND 4/62

His over catches prop in the ND game was 3 or 3.5.

I would expect an Over 3.5 or 4 catches to drop in the Bama game.

Love the over catches for him on Monday considering he's always on the field in the three WR sets which Clemson stays in most of the time. He had about 9 or 10 targets in the ND game.

I'd even play an Over 4.5 catches.

What a stupid and bigoted post sammy. Delete that. Didn‘t Tua lead Bama from behind and made the game-winning throw in last year‘s natty?

Its a legitimate capping angle. We have seen the same things with Mariotta- You cant tell me the injuries and the weakness they exhibit is that of a champion--

Football is played in america, not Hawaii-- The regular americans are the real players-- Hawaii doesent produce any great players--

Their best player MARIOTTA is barely a serviceable starter in the NFL-- Also lost his NATTY championship as well--

For those that understand you can see that TUA has that QUIT inside of him, he isnt battle tested, isnt durable, all traits of someone who will quit on the big stage--

He folded vs Georgia- Saban knew it, he is so smart- He looked at TUA and said we arent winning today-- Put in Hurts--

I think the game will get physical and TUA will fold with 2 ill advised interceptions that will give the game to Clemson.

I have yet to witness a national championship team thats QB steps back and throws 15-30 yard passes every down----

Those passes wont be available vs Clemson--- Georgia took away those routes and TUA quickly folded---

This man will fold-- I can tell by looking at his face-- He hasnt faced any real competition-- When he does he will show his true worth which isnt that much-- He isnt fast, he isnt really smart, he can throw the ball, but he lacks all other intagibles.

I have yet to witness a national championship team thats QB steps back and throws 15-30 yard passes every down----

Those passes wont be available vs Clemson--- Georgia took away those routes and TUA quickly folded---

This man will fold-- I can tell by looking at his face-- He hasnt faced any real competition-- When he does he will show his true worth which isnt that much-- He isnt fast, he isnt really smart, he can throw the ball, but he lacks all other intagibles.

Good grief.

Please don‘t steal the thread with your garbage. You know there are Germans in the NFL? Mariota was great in college. I don‘t think Americans (who are mostly immigrants at some point anyways) monopolize the caliber

Please don‘t steal the thread with your garbage. You know there are Germans in the NFL? Mariota was great in college. I don‘t think Americans (who are mostly immigrants at some point anyways) monopolize the caliber

This is not a German sport a Hawaiian sport. It’s an American sport.

Certain backgrounds are good at football just like in Canada our Canadians are best in world in hockey.

I guess we shouldn‘t listen to what (certain) Canadians have to say about football, then? :)

You shouldn’t listen to anyone who isn’t a proven winner in life.

People that talk are just talk.

People that act quietly are the winners.

If your gonna make it, make it in the dark!!

Reactions: KJ
Sammy was right about Mayfield...maybe he is onto something with Lawrence. And by this time of the season, inexperience should not be a factor for either QB. I expect this to be a competitive game and so the points are attractive.

Yeah coaches room is excellent. I couldn't watch a game live like that, but I recorded the one from last Saturday and have been watching it the last few days. Thrusting the MNF crew on us is ESPN just trying to do anything to make those 3 work. At least Tess and Booger have NCAAF experience. Witten will be even worse than he has been on MNF
Watching it right now.

If you like advanced metrics/PR/etc, Alabama has beaten the FPI 3, 5, 8, 12, 13, 14, and 17 teams. If they beat Clemson, will have beaten half of the other 16 teams in the top 17. For the record, Clemson has beaten #7 and 13
One thing that was unique and impressive about the 2016 Clemson chamionship team is that they beat the four teams that had combined to win the last seven championships: Alabama, Ohio State, Florida State, and Auburn.

Sammy was right about Mayfield...maybe he is onto something with Lawrence. And by this time of the season, inexperience should not be a factor for either QB. I expect this to be a competitive game and so the points are attractive.

The points are sexy.

Clemson is better this season at key skill positions mainly qb and receiver.
Last season they had jelly Bryant and limited receiving threats. This year they are better at key skill positions.

To beat Alabama you have to be dominant at QB and wide receiver.
Desean Watson Mike Williams beat bama
Manziel and Mike Evans beat bama
Cam newton beat bama

Mayfield is a G. The guy can play all day. I said he was amazing and the best rookie I’ve seen. He had one of the best rookie campaigns ever and 1 player actually turned the browns into close to a 500 team. If that’s not a G THEN nobody is.

Lawrence is a 6’6 mayfield. He plays the game with mayweather Jon Jones ability. His god given arm his perfect deep ball placement his understanding his timing outs. His running.
I’ve researched this kid and he is a certified G.

This kid is the Elon Musk of college football.

Elon Lawrence!

Lawrence’s arm strength in velocity per pass by the way was the highest in college football.

For good measure his velocity per pass was also highest than any qb in the nfl .

Dabo is no fool. Don’t let the Walt Disney goofy face fool you.

It’s a quarterback race between bama and Clemson.
Bama Recruited Tua and Dabo answers the quarterback race by signing a shiny red Ferrari named Elon Lawrence

Thank you Cman for understanding my points
This is how ppl lose money.

Bama May well win and they may win but to conclude that Lawrence is a freshmen and that will cost Clemson is simply untrue.

1- How do you know his inexperience is a negative?

2- COULD inexperience actually be a benefit?

3- Could Bama win due to other reasons

4- Lawrence started this year, so because he is a Phenom he is getting criticized for being a freshmen

5- The fact a freshmen is starting for 2nd best team in America is a positive. Not a negative. Shows how good this kid is

Before job Jones was Jones before brady was brady before mayweather was mayweather. They all were rookies at one point. They were all young and just starting out.
And guess what.

All those guys won right away at A very young age.

Winning is in the cards it’s in the spirit.

It’s not in the dumb ass baby boomer thinking of ridiculous 1 liners. Such as he’s not inexperienced enough he will lose.

That’s Jeff Fisher janes Franklin thinking 101

I have a good pulse on this game and can tell you the line of -6 for bama has nothing to do with football.

It’s just the line that Vegas thinks will get bets equally.

The truth is this gane is a pickem. Both teams are evenly matched.

If anything Clemson has an edge because Lawrence is the real deal not Tua.
Even a reporter called out Tua said he won’t do anything in nfl.
His throwing motion looks like he winds up like he is whiping his ass after taking a shit and then comes looping over the top.
Lawrence has the release smoother than Van gough vodka

Lawrence’s arm strength in velocity per pass by the way was the highest in college football.

For good measure his velocity per pass was also highest than any qb in the nfl .

Dabo is no fool. Don’t let the Walt Disney goofy face fool you.

It’s a quarterback race between bama and Clemson.
Bama Recruited Tua and Dabo answers the quarterback race by signing a shiny red Ferrari named Elon Lawrence

Velocity per pass what in the damn hell are you talking about

Trevor Musk has already won 2 high school state championships.

Clemson since starting Elon Lawrence averages 45 points a game.

This man is like khabib in Ufc. Just built to play football.

Lawrence has the best tools ever of any qb in the history of earth and all ancient civilizations.

He is 6’6
Looks plenty fast to me
Has arm strength better than every Nfl QB today
Has aniticipation
Has accuracy
Has poise
Has leadership.

Guys with these traits are assasins. They quietly go about their business and dominate.

The touchdown he threw vs notre Dame right up the middle on a blitz where he read and threw a perfect pass into the zone for a td was the best pass I saw all season in both leagues ncaa and Nfl.

For those who disagree if Dabo read these posts he woukd say Yeah Sammy gets it. He knows how good Lawrence is.

Back