National Championship Discussion: Clemson vs Alabama

Don't overthink this.

This is by far the best OL that Clemson's front has seen all year. They won't be wreaking havoc like they have vs the garbage schedule they've mostly played to cover up that back. Clemson's secondary is by far the worst unit on the field and they were absolutely torched by the two SEC WR corps they've played. Bama has FOUR NFL WR and an NFL TE. There's no chance in hell those white guys in the Clemson secondary can hang with them.

Bama always struggles with running QB and Kyler got them again. Clemson doesn't have that element. Bama coaches acknowledged after the game they went conservative too. If they had kept their foot on the gas they would have score 60 on Oklahoma.

Lookahead lines were 7.5/8 and all that changed was Clemson pounded a team that was overmatched and Bama basically stopped playing.

Clemson’s DBs are very good. It’s the safety play by Muse in particular that’s led to a handful of big plays and could be the dagger in a game like this.

We can all argue about who’s better where but this is Tua vs. Lawrence. If Lawrence gets rattled early and he doesn’t have time in the pocket, Clemson is in trouble. Same goes with Tua.. clemson is going to take the run game away and hes shown at times this year that he has trouble with the intermediary passes when he’s forced to stay in the pocket.

Should be a great game and look for special teams to play a major role in the outcome.

Okay this game is very simple.

Alabama will lose this game because of Tua Tavaglia.

I know you guys are going to call me crazy but tryst me this guy will struggle next week.

To think in a championship game that Tua will stand back there and throw his 15-25 yard passes vs Clemson is incorrect. It will not happen. The Clemson defensive line and secondary will not allow that.

Alabama has played no one this season. To quote above Clemson is the dirtier dog. More gritty.

Trevor Lawrence is the best QB prospect ever and has a nfl top 3 arm in college. Higgins and Ross and Rogers and Renfrew will rip bama secondary to pieces.
Ettiene oh yeah that guy can run a bit.

Tua is very overrated. Just watch him vs Lsu and Georgia he played below average in both games.

Alabama beats all other college teams unless the opponent has a legit nfl QB
Manziel desean cam were last 3 QBs t beat bama.

Lawrence is in that group. He is 100 times better than Tua. Tua isn’t a starter in the nfl.
Give Jake Bentley or Haskins the qb for bama and they put up exact same numbers.

This version of bama will lose for these reasons.

1- THIS bama team isn’t a running team

2- This bama team is a passing team

3- Tua is below average vs a top notch defense. There is nothing special about this guy. He can’t run can’t escape. He’s just playing with 3 nfl receivers Jeudy Ruggs smith.

4- bama secondary is weak. CE DEE lamb ripped then to shreds. Good luck with Higgins Ross Rogers renfrew.

5- Saban wins when he had a clear advantage on offense or defense. He doesent this year.

6- Saban won national titles over that Texas backup Jordan Jefferson notre Dane QB who sucked and Jake fraud. Lost vs good QBs all day long.

7- it’s about recruiting. Meyer couldn’t coach worth shit. All he could do is recruit. Dabo recruited a class as good as Alabama making this match even.

Remember guys like Saban and urban are actually below average head coaches. Barry Switzer proves that. If you have all the best players how hard is it to coach?

Saban flamed out in the nfl because the talent was equal in nfl.
Urban sucked when he didn’t have Ezekiel bosa Joey bailing him out.

Clemson is their equal. It’s not difficult to beat bama when you have equal size players!

Lawrence is Mvp. Tua is the goat.

Clemson wins 27-13

I also highly doubt it that bama is even mentally ready for a championship game.

They were never challenged all year. Never faced adversity.
This will be their Achilles heel next Monday.

I mean how good is Bama and Saban when they can’t even out coach and beat Kirby smart? Smart sucks. He knows nothing about winning. Somehow Saban can barely beat Georgia.

Clemson would dominate Georgia all day long.

Alabama has already been crowned champs. They are playing for nothing. They have nothing to gain only to lose.

I feel Clemson is battle tested. Ready to fight
Bama I think will lay an egg next Monday.

This game is the Ohio state Oregon championship match of 4 years ago.

Oregon was -6 vs hot Ohio state.

Oregon had the hot shot Hawaiian QB who choked by the way.

Ohio state won easily that game.

Clemson will do the same and in 3-4 years we will say oh well they had pro bowlers Christian wilkins Cleon Ferril Ryan Mullen’s and pro bowl receivers Ross and Higgins and 2000 yard back Etienne and Future hall of fame qb Lawrence.

Face it guys. Clemson has the nfl studs this time. Not bama.
Clemson has the guys the dudes. Bama is good and has a few nfl receivers and D line but that’s about it.

You have got to be kidding me. Clemson secondary is going to abused by the speed, abused.

Negative my friend. Will never happen.

Tua isn’t pkaying Troy here. He abuses secondaries when he has 4 seconds with a clean pocket. Put any pressure on this guy and he’s a 6 th round developmental QB..

In championship matches it gets down and dirty. Tons of holding grabbing biting cheating by dbs. No way bama going to run their long developping pass plays vs Clemson.

It doesent work that way Jonny in championship matches.

Clemson can beat them up

Keep an eye on the weather if you think that can be a factor. Right now we're supposed to get rain on the weekend, than Monday cloudy, than back to rain on Tuesday. So no rain right now for game night, but you know how these weather forecasters are.
Rough area for a 'Ship game.

SB Nation

Five days before the national title game between Clemson and Alabama kicks off, the Crimson Tide are around a 6-point Vegas favorite. General sentiment I’m seeing on Twitter is that the Tigers will be lucky to stay that close, even though gamblers moved the early line a little bit in Clemson’s direction. It appears Alabama has beaten a lot of fans into assuming another blowout like we saw in the 2017 semifinals between these two schools (a 24-6 Bama rout).

The numbers agree with the people actually laying the money, however. ESPN’s FPI separates the two teams by merely 0.3 points and gives Alabama only a 52 percent chance of winning; S&P+ is nearly as bullish on Clemson’s chances, putting the Tigers only 1.0 adjusted points per game behind the defending champs, which also projects to about a 52 percent win probability.

Better yet, if you’re a Clemson fan: if we look only at Clemson’s last nine games — i.e., the games in which quarterback Trevor Lawrence was both the starter and healthy — the Tigers’ S&P+ rating rises to plus-30.2 adjusted points per game, 0.6 points ahead of the Tide. Granted, if we look only at the games in which Alabama’s Tua Tagovailoa was most healthy, we see a similar bump.

But while our heads always assume Bama’s going to win any game easily, the spreadsheets suggest otherwise

I think this is the only game I didn't want to watch.

Lawrence will have to play out of his mind.

Okay I’m a little surprised that you guys are not giving Lawrence his credit.

Would anyone take Clemson if Matt Stafford was their QB?

Well Lawrence is already much better than Stafford.

The arm the accuracy , the poise. He can run too

This guy is a 6’6 Peyton Manning with wheels.

This kid could start next year in nfl.

Kelly Bryant was no good. Lawrence is a stud. They have 2 more Mike William 6’4 clones at receiver.

Lawrence is the Lebron of nfl. There has never been anyone like this kid. He’s the steph curry of the nfl pushing limits pushing abilities changing the game

Sammy you are prone to hyperbole but I agree the kid is special and Kelly Bryant will not win any big games at Mizzou

Also to be fair to Kelly Bryant he didn’t have offensive firepower like Higgins and Ross and a more mature defense.

All about recruiting. Bama tecruits better hence they win.
Clemson is equal now

But this year Clemson is better. They have a better qb and d line. Their o line is also better than bama

I watched bama.

Vs lsu Georgia oklahoma they weren’t overly impressive at all.

Tua was getting pulled all year long in the 4 th qtr.

He isn’t battle tested

He is a one trick pony. If I’m veneblesik rushing 3 and keeping 8 back in secondary plugging up throwing lanes.
Tua is looking for the deeper routes 15-25 yards.

He has no short game and no improvised game. He just relies on perfect pocket and time to throw to future nfl receivers.

Clemson should do enough to disrupt Tua. Tua isn’t going to be a great nfl prospect.

Clemson looked great verse shitty Notre Dame. Bama let up big plays to wheels Murray to make game have some drama, they were up 28-0. Power ratings show pickem, yet Vegas throws up touchdown? I will be interested to see if squares line up with the underdog.

Clemson looked great verse shitty Notre Dame. Bama let up big plays to wheels Murray to make game have some drama, they were up 28-0. Power ratings show picked, yet Vegas throws up touchdown? I will be interested to see if squares line up with the underdog.

Maybe best to just play Clemson money line imo

If they win points are not needed.

Bama if they win usually cover 90 percent of times.

Clemson best chance is to just win outright.

Lawrence is the real deal.

On high school all he did was win state championships in Georgia. He is a winner.

No surprise he’s in the finals again. This guys arm is unreal.

This is a franchise qb for sure

Tua should have won Heisman. Bama has chip on shoulder. Oklahoma never had chance to win, Bama would have covered if Saban cared. Notre Dame sucks balls

He definitely deserved the heisman not Murray.

Murray was the Dana white bs heisman pick.

Writers liked the Murray story more so they gave it to him undeserved.

Tua is worthy of heisman.

This game is the Ohio state Oregon championship match of 4 years ago.

Oregon was -6 vs hot Ohio state.

Oregon had the hot shot Hawaiian QB who choked by the way.

Ohio state won easily that game.

Clemson will do the same and in 3-4 years we will say oh well they had pro bowlers Christian wilkins Cleon Ferril Ryan Mullen’s and pro bowl receivers Ross and Higgins and 2000 yard back Etienne and Future hall of fame qb Lawrence.

Face it guys. Clemson has the nfl studs this time. Not bama.
Clemson has the guys the dudes. Bama is good and has a few nfl receivers and D line but that’s about it.

I’m not as familiar with Clemson’s roster, but Alabama has future 1st round picks at QB, OL, WR, DT, OLB (though probably not playing due to injury) and S. If Clemson wins, it won’t be because they have more talent

I’m not as familiar with Clemson’s roster, but Alabama has future 1st round picks at QB, OL, WR, DT, OLB (though probably not playing due to injury) and S. If Clemson wins, it won’t be because they have more talent

Both teams have pro talent.

Clendon though has elite pro bowl talent.

Lawrence future pro bowl qb

Higgins and Ross future pro bowl receivers

Clemson d line 3 first round picks

Secondary. Ryan Mullen’s top 10 pick

Etienne pro bowl running back

Renfrew. Future patriots star

I don’t see how Alabama secondary can stop the 4 headed monster of

Higgins Ross renfrew Rogers?

Too many guys to cover

They shut down Etienne besides one lapse. UCF woulda given up 200+ Irish pass d is solid when Love was on the field, UCF made Burrow look like Namath. Irish receivers a bad match-up for physical Clemson secondary.

Correct on all accounts. If turnover went their way early could have been different game. Ian Book was shaky from 1st snap. Manhandled 2nd half

It would be something for Clemson QB to beat Bama after half year of experience. He has it in him I guess, he barely avoided getting pounded on some drop backs vs ND. I'd like to see him down 2 possessions wonder what happens

That was to make sure people chose him.

Somebody sent me a glitter bomb a few weeks ago, one end was stapled the other taped, I opened the tape end and then proceeded to eat sparkles, leading a person can be an effective technique

Clemson’s DBs are very good. It’s the safety play by Muse in particular that’s led to a handful of big plays and could be the dagger in a game like this.
I think it's been 12 and 14 more than 19 (Muse). Sometimes Muse looks like he screwed up because he's scrambling to cover for his teammate's bust, but he's had his busts too.

I don’t see how Alabama secondary can stop the 4 headed monster of

Higgins Ross renfrew Rogers?

Too many guys to cover

Per ESPN, Alabama is best team in country at creating pressure without blitzing. Trevor Lawrence is 112th in country in completion % on non-blitz pressure. Hard to find those WR from your back.

That said, whatever the yardage prop is on Renfrow, take the over. Dude has killed us 3 years in a row. Thank God he redshirted in the 2008 game

Per ESPN, Alabama is best team in country at creating pressure without blitzing. Trevor Lawrence is 112th in country in completion % on non-blitz pressure. Hard to find those WR from your back.

That said, whatever the yardage prop is on Renfrow, take the over. Dude has killed us 3 years in a row. Thank God he redshirted in the 2008 game

Very interesting stat there. A stat of value. Impressive work

Keep an eye on the weather if you think that can be a factor. Right now we're supposed to get rain on the weekend, than Monday cloudy, than back to rain on Tuesday.
Whom does rain favor? Whom does a muddy field favor? The running team? If so, that is Clemson this time.

Per ESPN, Alabama is best team in country at creating pressure without blitzing. Trevor Lawrence is 112th in country in completion % on non-blitz pressure.
It may be that he takes a lot of shots down the field when he's not blitzed. Also, what is the sample size?

It may be that he takes a lot of shots down the field when he's not blitzed. Also, what is the sample size?

No clue. Heard on radio from Brad Edwards. He said TL is great against the blitz, when he expects pressure. One of his few weaknesses is dealing with pressure he doesn’t account for pre-snap. He also said that since they started FPI, this is only the 2nd time in over 11,000 games that 2 teams that are 31 points better than an average team are playing each other. The other was Texas-USC Rose Bowl

Back