Monday July 22nd MLB Discussion Thread

It’s been a while, glad to see the disco thread back.

For sure...last 4 months have had me busier than a one-legged man in an asskicking contest, so going to try to get back into getting a central thread every day for all the fine folk of CTG.

The mid summer malaise is over. Now it's time to get into the the meat of things.

Amen, brother...opportunities to make money during this stretch if you pay attention in this sport with focus of a lot of people switching to football...if you pay attention to how rosters change / trades / callups, it can give a lot of clues for some solid value plays from now till end of the year...

I will say this. Do I expect Houston to win today? Yes I do but it is far from perfect. Cole is pitching at night on 5 days rest. I expect he will do a good job but 5 is his worse and he is much better in the Day. This thing is up to 270. It is possible if I see something very good with the ump I might bet on Houston but Oakland is a dangerous team a more reasonable spread 180 to 210 I might go for but this just seems too high

One thing to look for until the end of the year is when my Cards face a young no-name pitcher. Pittsburgh's Agrazal being the most recent example. The Cards never seem prepared at all and always get shut down.

Starting to see some plays Cardinals 8-1 on Monday to Pitt 2-7. On a short sample Cardinal pitcher is good on 5 and very good at night

One thing to look for until the end of the year is when my Cards face a young no-name pitcher. Pittsburgh's Agrazal being the most recent example. The Cards never seem prepared at all and always get shut down.
I believe I've seen this pattern too. While many teams could struggle against a pitcher they've never seen, STL especially seems to struggle every time they face a pitcher they've never seen.

Chase is on bad rest. Would like to play this but lean to checking the ump before firing

These trends are the ones that kill me the most. Leake had a 10+ ERA vs the Angels this season and then went 9IP giving up 1 hit against them last week.

Well yea cause he had one outing in which he gave up 4 er in 0.2 innings. Before that he had 2 er in 7ip and 4 er in 6 ip. The same size is so small in that trend that its meaningless.

If Sonny has Casali catching that is big. 2.65 ERA Would help a lot with a play
Did not get him

Last edited:
Starting to see some plays Cardinals 8-1 on Monday to Pitt 2-7. On a short sample Cardinal pitcher is good on 5 and very good at night

Five of those Mondays were against the Pirates and Marlins.
Hes had one career start on five days‘ rest.

Five of those Mondays were against the Pirates and Marlins.
Hes had one career start on five days‘ rest.

Well the first stat then is even stronger since it directly involves head to heads on a Monday.

The 2nd... one start... nothing to see there.

Adrian sorry to say it but on 6 plus 9 innings 12 ERA is not what I wanted to see might help with an over though

Well the first stat then is even stronger since it directly involves head to heads on a Monday.

The 2nd... one start... nothing to see there.

Head to heads? The starting pitchers weren't the same on any of the occasions. A team is obviously super different with a different starting pitcher.

In their last 6 games, the Yankees are hitting .333 (15-for-45) with RISP, with 2 doubles / 3 HR / 26 RBI and 11 BB . Overall this season, the Yankees have hit an an AL-best .297/.378/.509 w/ RISP

Average over bets in Seattle and Arizona Arizona because of monster over ump combined with Ry on 4

In their last 6 games, the Yankees are hitting .333 (15-for-45) with RISP, with 2 doubles / 3 HR / 26 RBI and 11 BB . Overall this season, the Yankees have hit an an AL-best .297/.378/.509 w/ RISP

So much different than in year's past with this team.

Believe it or not but the Yanks are in the bottom 3rd of the league vs left handed pitching in HR, AVG, OBP, SLG, OPS.

Paging Mr Cashman

Unlucky amount of injuries this year tho like with Stanton he coulda helped immensely with that stat

Erod goes for the Sox tonight in Tampa. he has been solid, don't let the hi
Believe it or not but the Yanks are in the bottom 3rd of the league vs left handed pitching in HR, AVG, OBP, SLG, OPS.

True but tonights lineup is decent vs lefties

Erod good value tonight. 38-13 last 51 Erod starts and 18-4 last 22. Also 11-0 when he goes 6 and TB struggling against lefties and everyone these days

Erod good value tonight. 38-13 last 51 Erod starts and 18-4 last 22. Also 11-0 when he goes 6 and TB struggling against lefties and everyone these days

Erod yields reverse platoon splits tho so shouldn‘t that negate the significance of TB struggling against lefties

Erod yields reverse platoon splits tho so shouldn‘t that negate the significance of TB struggling against lefties

good point cavs....i've watched erod his last few starts, most all of them actually and he keeps getting better, he could lose but line is cheap with the better team, pitcher and TB in bad form

Since 2005, MLB road favorite game 1s after being shutout last game and now facing team off home win ... 30-15-3 O/U ... Red Sox / Rays

Red Sox Rodriguez starts:

Over 17-5 Last 22 overall
Over 11-1 Last 12 on road
Over 7-1 off QS
Over 7-1 Last 8 game 1s
Over 18-7-1 Last 26 after scoring 2 or less last game

Yankees vs Twins ... since 2002

NYY .... MIN

Wins ... 85 .... 34
Runs ... 5.4 .... 3.9
AVG ... (.285) .... (.250)
HR ... 167 .... 102
ERA ... 3.63 .... 5.15

Yankees have won 23 of their last 30 games, outscoring opponents by 77 runs (197-120).

Meanwhile, the Twins have lost five of seven, with the bullpen responsible for four losses. Their lead in the AL Central has been cut by 4.5 games (7.5 to 3)

Twins: An 11.5 game lead in the AL Central on June 2 has been whittled to 3

Twins season split

First 58 .... Last 40

W-L ... 40-18 .... 20-20
Runs ... 6.0 .... 5.1
AVG ... (.275) .... (.265)
HR ... 1.9/game .... 1.8/game
ERA ... 3.88 .... 4.04

Yankees: 13-2 record in postseason over that span vs. Minnesota (2003 ALDS, 2004 ALDS, 2009 ALDS, 2010 ALDS, 2017 ALWC)

Yanks 98-36 vs. Twins since 2002 including post season

Back